Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
I'm glad for this thread; my wife smashed the car to bits and I have a horrible feeling they will just write it off due to a hosed up frame, which means I have to borrow a poo poo-ton of money and buy a replacement. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
This has nothing to do with owning a car but today my wife paid $700 to rent a loving subaru outback for one week. Since crashing the car it's like she's single handedly trying to destroy our finances.

She accepted the first insurance offer without even speaking to me (it was $400 less than the clean retail which I imagine is pretty good) and now this. She managed to get them to drop it to $225 if she returns it sunday. Nothing like a two day rental for $225 to really help me enjoy the weekend. She's killing me.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

She accepted an insurance payout of ~400 less than you wanted. What percentage is that of the total payment though? If she totally trashed the car and received a payout of 10K, I'm less inclined to quibble over 5%.

We got $7600 (minus $500 deductable so $7100 in reality) for a 2006 lancer with 58k miles and no real damage on it. From everything I researched that was about what you'd get (considering we're at fault too).

I wasn't upset about the amount but SHE had no idea what a fair price was. She just got lucky.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Zhentar posted:

The point isn't a lost $400, it's that she made a major financial decision without any sort of input from the person who she shares her finances with, and that is important.

That's why I was upset! Still, we ended up buying something horribly expensive and it's all so awful that I don't even want to think about finances any more. I need to hit up my boss for a payrise as my car payment went from $200 to $425. That's not going to leave me in trouble but it sucks as I had been enjoying ensuring we had the money to move and no debts.