Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Not if this is the best place to ask, but I'm trying to figure out what's the best option with my little money.

Background: Student teach starting in August, so I need a reliable car. Ideally I need a car sooner than later so between now and then I can work this second job that takes place in various locations around the DFW metroplex. I graduate in December so ideally I'll have a real job in January and can soon after get a real car if needed.

Current car situation: I had been driving a 2003 Kia Rio that I bought used for $3200. It came with 76k miles and a clean history. A month ago it died while driving. The timing belt broke and tore my engine to poo poo. Repairing isn't an option, need a new engine.

What I have to work with: I have about $3300 in savings that I was hoping to just save as long as possible but hey I guess this is why you save.

Options:
A) If the mechanic gets me an engine and puts it in he's quoting $4800. Not a valid options.
B) Find an engine on my own, will cost about $1k to have put in unless I had a friend or did it myself or something. Probably $2k-3k total.
C) Take the money I have saved up and get a beater that will hopefully last me a year. Would need to be able to take daily trips from August-December, as well as frequent driving this summer.

I'm thinking C is the best option, but what are the odds that I'll just end up with a similar situation? I bought my Kia from a private dealer on Craigslist. Can I find a semi-reliable car for $2500 or less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Yes I've definitely learned my lesson.