Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Proposed Budget: 15-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback, compact, 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the city, want a reliable, MPG efficient commuter that can periodically handle trips to the mountains, I have chains.
What aspects are most important to you? Getting a solid price on trade-in, MPG, must be manual transmission, relatively quiet road noise, peppy

I currently own a 2003 Impreza WRX wagon. It's great, but I'd like something a bit more modern, lower road noise, better MPG. Off the cuff, I'm considering the Honda Fit, Mazda 3, or Focus. Normally I sell outright and purchase privately, but I have started a new job, am busy, and don't have time or desire to entertain private offers.

I don't buy many new cars and am considering going to Carmax to get an assessment as to what my trade in is worth. Seems to be the easiest thing to do for now, not sure what AI thinks of Carmax :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. They have 'no-haggle' prices. If I have cash, can I beat that, or is it (generally) set?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

nm posted:

For wagons after 2000, subaru (non-turbo, ideally has HGs done and documented), a Focus (Zetec engine only), or even a BMW wagon (Get a PPI) would be less of a headache.

No Mazda 3?

nm posted:

Carmax won't negotiate. Their prices are insane and the inspection is useless.

Thanks. Why is the inspection useless? Someone told me they generally did better on trade ins than dealers did, which is why I thought I'd start with them.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
From what I'm reading online, as far as private sale value, Edmunds is much closer to actual street value than Kelly Blue Book? KBB has my 03 WRX at 9k, Edmunds at 6k.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm going to do some more homework in the thread, but here goes.

I currently have a 2003 WRX hatchback, no mods. I generally have lived close to work, and have been biking to and from, but may be moving out of the city to the country and doing significantly more driving and road trips to go see my aging parents.

Proposed Budget: 15-20K
New or Used: Used, preferably
Body Style: Compact/Hatch/Small
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, road trips
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Not really, but I'd like something with a nicer interior than my WRX and truthfully would like a few of the modern amenities like bluetooth or hands free.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, low road noise, comfortable ride

My Subaru is a lot of fun, but with increased driving in my future, I really would like a more modern car that's got a bit softer ride, quiet interior and much better gas mileage. I drive in Baltimore a fair bit, and roads here are poo poo. On one hand, the WRX is kinda tough in these sorts of conditions, but I'd like a car that's got a bit more give in the ride without the handling being tepid.

A few conundrums for me:

- I wouldn't mind a hybrid, but I imagine none of them come in a manual transmission. I really like manual transmissions but I'm not married to the idea of a hybrid. Some of the cars I've been researching, the sportier, stiffer lower MPG trim are the ones that tend to have a 6 speed. Is there anything other than the Mazda 6 (or like it) that offers a 6 speed on a mid tier trim?

- A smaller car is apt to get the best mpg, but I can't expect a smaller car to excel at being quieter on the highway, can I? What are some of the quieter cars that are on par with, say, the Civic? The WRX is loud and after years of that and a poo poo stereo, I need something quieter if I'm going to be spending more time in the car here soon.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 23, 2014

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Are the 10-14 Priuses less reliable? Im considering one. What makes the second generation stand out?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Speaking of the fusion hybrid, what are general thoughts on those? Anyone have one? I'm considering one, along with a standard fusion see or accord. (2013) still not sure if I'm going hybrid or not.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks for the advice.

Mocking Bird posted:

I drive one as my work vehicle, and while I've always found it comfortable and a good daily driver, I feel like the viability is limited and it has enormous blind spots compared to my civic.

Viability because it's simply not proven long term like the Accord is, or do you have some other info you can share?

One thing that appeals to me about the Fusion is the noise cancelling technology in it. I'm not sure if that works on the highway though, or to get rid of some weird rumbling with the hybrid drive. I want a really quiet car but don't want to spend as much for say, a Lexus. As I understand it, both modern Fusions and Accords are improving on road noise.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I know this is the car buying thread, but where would be the most appropriate place to ask / research on what a fair asking price is for my car? (03 WRX hatchback). I've looked on KBB, but wanted to ask a few specific questions before I post it for sale.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. KBB has it around 7k, while Edmunds has it around 5k. I thought that was a pretty substantial difference between the two. Should I lower asking price based on the fact that it had a front end collision, but was fully repaired? I won't hide that from anyone, of course, as that's going to come out in a Carfax or discussion about the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yes, the title is clean and I have record of those repairs.