Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

What are your thoughts on getting 30K/45K/60K/etc mile maintenance vs waiting for a problem to fix something? I have a 05 Mazda 3 that I'm taking in next week to get the thermostat controller fixed and I just hit the 60K mark. I was never sure if the mileage maintenance is worth it, or if its just waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does anyone have any experience refinancing an auto loan? Is it even worth doing? My girlfriend was asking me if I think she should do it, but honestly I didn't know you could refinance an auto loan until now.

She has a 2008 VW Rabbit with around 40K miles. Her interest rate is 8% and has either 2 or 3 years left on the loan for around $8,000. A quick search shows rates around 2.5% - 4% for a refinance loan.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

So assuming her credit is good, is it worth doing then? There aren't any fees or anything that they tack on to the loan balance?

Her credit is pretty good and could probably qualify, and I wont cosign. I know the interest savings wouldn't be huge, but she has other debt and is a little tight on money right now, so any savings would definitely help.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Well this sucks. I have an 05 Mazda 3 that was fully paid off with 85K miles. I was planning on driving it another 4 years. Yesterday I got rear ended on the freeway and just found out the car was totaled :( The worst part is, I just put 1K into the car last week buying new tires and fixing the AC.

I'll probably get around 9K for the car and not sure if I should buy something new with a nice down payment, or get a similar car and have it paid off. The timing is bad because people say it's best to buy a car at the end of the month to get the best deal. Usually I'd like to spend a lot of time researching and making an informed decision, but I feel like I'm going to have a hard time doing that when I need something soon.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I think you'd be better off keeping the Sonata. Since you seem to be set financially there is no point to sell the car so you can pocket an extra $3,000. If you buy a cheaper used car it most likely won't last as long, so you will end up needing a new car a few years earlier.

You could pay off your car and save some of your car payments toward purchasing a new car down the road. If you save $200 a month you could have almost $17K in 7 years to buy a new car.