Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Proposed Budget: under 30k
New or Used: Used but open to new
Body Style: SUV, wagon, hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Back and forth from work (about 40 miles each way). Needs to also accommodate 5 people comfortably when bringing kids to school.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, I'm an ER MD at a place without reliable backup. If I don't get to work chances are people going to the ER won't have a doctor available until whenever my relief can show up. Safety is up next, I'll have 3 kids in the car at times and will be driving on lots of rural, poorly lit roads at all hours regardless of road conditions. I'm also on call for hurricane activations so I need a car that can get me to the hospital in tropical storm force winds and get me home when the worst has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
Thanks to this thread I bought a '14 Subaru outback with 0% financing. Not a bad deal and the car is super fun to drive! Only problem is we got too good a deal and now my wife wants to trade in her paid off minivan for a newer one. Oh well back to saving and searching for the right deal. Man do I hate car dealerships.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
How long do you generally want to wait after a redesign to go in on a car? I really like the look of the new Lexus GX 550 but I don’t want to be an early adopter, nor am I willing to pay over sticker for it. I’m thinking 2-3 years they should have everything sorted? Maybe grab a used after they figure things out? I know sone car manufacturers have no trouble introducing redesigned vehicles but lately they all seem to have some problems.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
So, I need some thoughts from people. I’m in the market for a “fun” family car. My wife really wants to be driven around in something luxurious and I want something that’s comfortable and has the option to maybe do some mild off-roading, mostly to get to trailheads and such.

I was, unfortunately, diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s, I have full mobility now but likely that’s going away in 15-20 years so I’m inclined to ignore my instinct to just get a base model honda and get something more fun for what is realistically my last or second to last vehicle.

I’m currently looking at the lexus GX 550, I drove it and I really like it, the drawback being the really poor gas mileage but it does have the off-road chops and I plan to go see as many national parks and hike as much as I can manage.

My wife is in love with a Mercedes GLE 450 we test drove. While it is a smooth, comfortable ride, I worry that I wouldn’t feel comfortable throwing mulch in the back and taking it out to some of the trailheads that require some dicey roads. I also worry about reliability, especially with newer Mercedes.

These vehicles cost in the high 70’s and that’s ok for what I’m willing to spend but I certainly am up for paying less. I would want a vehicle I can rely on for at least 8 years or so, preferably new. If/when my condition progresses, I figure I’ll have to change my vehicle to fit those needs but for now I have no restrictions. I do have three kids with two in college that still come home and want to go on family trips in the summer so I’d like something capable of accommodating 5 but the car will most frequently host 1-3 passengers. I know it’s cliche to be looking at the chunky SUV’s but I was in a horrible 4 car pileup a few years ago where I was buried under an F-350 and being in something low to the ground gives me PTSD.

I’m open to other car suggestions as well, other vehicles I’ve test driven include: Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander/grand Highlander, BMW X5, Nissan Armada, Kia Telluride, Subaru Odessey and Ascent.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

priznat posted:

The design is getting a little long in the tooth but have you checked out the Volvo XC90?

No, Volvo wasn’t even on my radar, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

euphronius posted:

I bought a car and did the thing where you make like you are going to walk out and get some other car and it worked. Thanks goons

Ugh, I had the thing happen where they take your key to appraise your trade and then don’t want to give it back while they pressure you to make an on the spot decision. I really hate car dealerships.

I’ll go test drive a Volvo and Mazda tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions!

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
I guess it must work often enough to try it. My wife was over the moon about the Mercedes but when they pulled that it just made me want to walk out.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Nitrox posted:

It's helpful to know what is your definition of offroad. For some people it's climbing on a rocky incline, for others it's when asphalt becomes gravel. One of those requires specialty systems, the other is traversable by base model Honda civic

Good question, I may take it to Arches but don’t plan to go far off trail or over rocks. I’m more interested in something that can handle gravel and mud with mild inclines. A good example would be Howland Hill road, which I’ve even done in a minivan but it wasn’t fun, especially pulling off to the side in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPkI7JrJjE

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Any car with appropriate tires can do that. Not even requiring AWD unless it's muddy.

Oh I agree, I have encountered portions of similar roads that are partially washed out or very muddy so I think AWD should be a reasonable ask but I don’t need a crazy rock-hopper. If I end up in a worse case than that situation, it’s purely accidental. But being able to get out of it without too much hassle is a plus. :)

Nodelphi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 12, 2024

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
E:double post

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Agreed, that if this is a thing you regularly do, especially alone (one car) you should have AWD if not actual 4 wheel drive.

Just pointing out for the thread, for the millionth time, most people do not need crazy offroad packages and 4wd to "go to trailheads" or whatever else they think is a big deal. Cars with the right tires on them are much more capable than the average person is aware of.

It's also okay to say "I want something that looks like a tough offroad toy and i can afford to pay for that" and just buy that because that's what you want. I just tire of the inane justifications.

I agree, I’ve been doing that in a Honda Odessey so it’s definitely possible but when my family’s the only minivan in the bunch and everyone else has giant tires you start to think maybe you should turn around.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, that particular road is recorded at pretty much ideal conditions for that video, it can be much rougher with ruts and debris. I do tend to exercise caution and not push the issue if things are too bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Right.....but #1 it's a road that is #2 maintained is my point. You just don't need that much.

Oh I totally agree. Fun, can seat 5 and mildly capable, that’s all I’m looking for.