Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Its all about how you drive on snow and ice, the tires don't make that big of difference. Snow tires will make someone who doesn't know how to drive on snow and ice over-confident. And someone who knows how to drive and snow and ice doesn't need them.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Its not like a video game, where snow tires give +5 grip. Most accidents happen because people hit slick spots or are driving too fast and aggressively. By slowing down and driving cautiously, you can drive safely on snow and ice with regular all-season tires.

Snow tires and ABS and traction control all help. But the single biggest safety factor is knowing how drive on snow. And the single biggest danger is overconfidence. Why do you think you see more huge SUVs in the ditch than small light coupes?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Skier posted:

What geographical location are you at?

I grew up in rural Minnesota and drove all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of conditions there.

quote:

You can be the best driver in the world and still be unsafe on an icy road, where proper snow tires would allow even a mediocre driver to be plenty safe.
So we disagree. That's fine.