Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I highly recommend to anyone who comes wandering into this thread to avoid having a car payment, if at all possible.

I highly recommend that everyone explores the option. It sounds like you went into the situation without much guidance or education, but it is often the best choice if done correctly. 60 months of payments that are higher than the repair costs of your slightly less-reliable car isn't the correct way to do it.

Understand the math, know the total costs and the three- or four-year value retention of your vehicle (shoot for three years), shop for the best rates and an institution that is willing to hold your hand. I love and recommend credit unions.

Make a spreadsheet, fudge with the numbers, and see for yourself how much $1000 really affects your monthly payments or how much a quarter percent of a point really affects your total interest. Be comfortable with multiple sets of numbers as you shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU