Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you'd be able to find a really nice truck for under 12k, especially if you'd be down with something ranger sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subaru Outback is a big wagon that isn't from Europe. Depending on how old you're looking for there's the Mazda 6 wagon too. But really, the extra height of a crossover will be really nice and they can still get very good gas mileage.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about tractors but you might want to try in this thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3302145&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#pti20 It's not very high traffic but there were lots of tractor havers in there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You might want to ask in the 4x4 / offroading thread in AI too as there might be folks with more experience in that sort of terrain. I know Samurais have a bit of a cult following in the US.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

That's a fair point. I actually had someone trade paint with my bumper at work and it was nice to look at it and think "lol I don't care." If I do that I'm at least replacing the stereo, gently caress FM transmitters for my iPhone...

If you want to treat yo self dropping some cash on a nice stereo is totally worth it in my book. Especially if it means saving a bunch of money by hit buying a new car.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tire Rack also does their own testing that can give you more of a direct comparison than user reviews might. I just went through buying snow tires on two cars and the newest Blizzaks, WS80, went on one, while the other got Michelin X-Ice XI3's.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Depending on the state it may be legal to drive without plates for a bit on private party sales anyway. Here in Nebraska you have a month to get plates and you just carry your purchase paperwork with out. Obviously you're more likely to get pulled over with no plates, but you wouldn't get a ticket.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

I don't like Cute-Ute SUVs like the Rav4 and CRV, actual SUVs are too big for what I'm looking for and trucks are useless for the very few times I'll have to actually tow stuff, so I'm looking for any ideas you folks may have on a car that can check those two boxes. I thought about an earlier Subaru Forester (the newest generation Foresters are too big and manuals are hard to come by) and the VW Jetta Sportwagen (VW folks are basically saying "prepare for thousands in repairs at your price range"). I haven't found a Ford, Chevrolet or Fiat/Chrysler product that is allowed to tow that isn't also a huge body-on-frame abomination that weighs 3 tons and is 21 feet long. Anyone have any other ideas? I'd be willing to consider a mild crossover even, as long as it stays heavy on the "car" side and not full-blown "SUV" side.

Impreza's and Crosstreks are both rated to tow stuff, not sure what the weight limits are but I'd think a motorcycle hauler under 1500lbs would be OK. The Crosstrek is rated higher, I think, but it's the same car with a lift, body cladding, and slightly bigger brake/rear chassis. You could also just buy a hitch for the Mazda3 and tow anyway.

edit: looks like the new impreza's don't have a tow rating listed, but I know they used to. In your price range you might be looking for an old enough used one that it'd have the rating. Also, I believe the Vibe/Matrix were rated to tow around 1500lbs and they're very good cars.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 28, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mazda 3's are great and you're very unlikely to hurt the car getting used to driving the stick again.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sold my 3 year old Subaru to Carmax and they listed it at essentially the same price I paid new. I'm totally happy with what I got for it, but I can't imagine buying anything from them. Around me even regular dealerships are usually way less expensive, and that's without haggling.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hitch mount bike racks are where it's at and you can definitely get ones that'll hold four. And loads of cars can have a hitch.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm good at parallel parking, but with the backup camera in my wife's 3 I am basically a parking god.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They were looking at the ranger because it was free (at the time.) Not sure if the free thing was still an option. I don't think they want a truck at all for any reason whatsoever. Being free outweighs a lot of other concerns at their budget considering the ranger is at least pretty reliable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nexein posted:

This one is gonna be a doozy, I'm trying to find something relatively reliable but something also worth putting performance parts into; something to play with that'll also get me to work 95% of the time.

Proposed Budget: $20-25k if new, <$20k if older used
New or Used: New is fine, if used, something like, 1980-early 2000's
Body Style: 2 Door ideally, 4 is fine, something small; it's just me and occasionally my girlfriend.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work (only like 30 min both ways), something to play with in the garage when I'm not working and occasionally open up on the highway at 3am. Gadgets aren't super important since I work for a tech giant and I can redo the flashy stuff on the cheap.
What aspects are most important to you?: Speed, honestly; I'm trying to find the middle ground between daily driver and backyard tuner racecar. MPG is a little less important since I'm already used to driving a steel canoe of a car. Aesthetic is kind of a big one too, something that doesn't really look like the average sedan.

For reference, I've been pawing around some mid 2000s 350z's and it's pretty much what I'm after but I'm trying to feel out some other suggestions. Short of finding something like this I'm just gonna say gently caress it and buy a prius.

If you're looking at 350z's you should look at G35 coupes too since they're the essentially the same but with a semi useful rear seat and nicer ride. I went from a turbo Miata to a g35 and the g35 was a lot less fun but much nicer day to day. They weigh almost 4000 lbs and I'm sure that had something to do with the fun factor. I didn't do anything to the g35 because making more power would have required big investment.

For your budget you could buy a commuter and a project car, though I don't know how bfc approved that'd be. I can tell you that it's a lot less stressful working on a car when you have another option for getting to work.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why you don't just use the miata? Seems dumb to have two cars if you barely need one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've driven a miata in 8" of snow during a blizzard and, while the top up, blind spot visibility isn't great, the idea of not driving it because it's raining (even really hard rain) seems kinda nuts. Are your windshield wipers broken? You could also buy a hard top for it and get a bit better rear visibility if that's the issue.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good snow tires can make a fwd car incredible in the snow. My wife's Mazda 3 with snow tires is far better and much less scary to drive in slick conditions than my awd Volvo. A good set mounted and balance should be around $500 to $700 depending on the wheels.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a really wide range in snow traction with all season tires too. The Pirelli P7 Cinturatos I put on my wife's previous car were fantastic in the winter. Far better than any other all season I've driven.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My wife's base model 2006 Grand Prix had automatic lights, as did my 2003 grand marquis, so it's not like there aren't cheap cars that have it. Maybe it's a ford/gm thing though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so used to them being lovely used cars that I forget anyone ever bought them new.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like automatic lights. Sometimes for a non-car person little features can be the thing that they like most. If you had it on a car you liked and didn't want to get rid of and someone totaled it I can see how it'd feel lovely to not have this little thing that you liked. My G35 had dimming rear and side mirrors and I still kindof miss it. I seriously doubt dongsbot wants it as a social climber thing.

Even if it might make sense to let go of that feature, can you really not see why a person would be bummed to lose something they liked on their last vehicle?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My volvo's headlights have three settings: on, parking lights, and on but you can't turn on the brights. It took me ages to figure out what the difference was between the two on settings since I'm seldom anywhere that brights are necessary.

powderific fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 16, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had great experiences selling cars to CarMax but have never and probably will never buy anything from them as their prices always seem way high.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ This ^^^^ Who cares about a no haggle policy when it's pricy enough that you could just go to the places where you do haggle, not haggle, and come out ahead?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If someone doesn't know much about cars and is looking for a driving appliance, it's almost categorically the best choice for a whole host of reasons we go over every few pages.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Proposed Budget: No more than $20K, maybe $22-23k if I absolutely have to.
New or Used: New would be nice, but prefer CPO or a well-maintained used car.
Body Style: Leaning towards hatchback, but the configuration doesn't matter too much.
How will you be using the car?: 90% work commute, 30 miles a day (~5 miles street), 5 days a week. Rare 200-300 mile weekend vacation run.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? A solid A/C system (desert dweller) and cruise control are priority #1. I want native bluetooth support (calls and audio) from the head unit, and would like to have the option for SiriusXM, if I ever go that route. Onboard nav/CarPlay/AndroidAuto would be nice, but not required.
Where do I live? Las Vegas, NV
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, "fun", utility

Misc:
For the last 12 years, I've been daily driving my fairly reliable 1991 Miata. The car is still mechanically sound (engine/transmission still problem free), and it's just recently passed 250k and 25 years of life. I'm looking into getting a newer DD with a few more creature comforts, and a few less old car rattles! I am open to both selling/trading the car for whatever pennies it's worth, or preferably holding onto it and making it a sort of restoration project. In the past, I owned a 2007 Honda Fit, and have considered a second gen. I've been eyeing the Fiesta ST, the BRZ/FRS, and a Mazda 3 as replacements, and have floated the idea of something from Hyundai/Kia.

I just hope whatever I end up buying will last me another dozen years like my Miata.

Thanks in advance!

I can't imagine trading in the Miata being worth it at all with that many miles. If you've got the space, for sure keep it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone hates them. They tend to ride harsh and not handle as well as comparable normal tires.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happens when you're WAY under mileage on a lease? I leased a Mazda3 for my wife one year ago, and since then she's only put on 6000 miles. The lease allows for 12000 a year. When we got it she'd been planning on a lot of rural travel for work that since fell through so I'm not sure if there's anything we can/should do to save some money on it. I'm wondering if I should try to buy the lease out, sell it, and have her drive my old Volvo instead since lots of miles and reliability out in the country are no longer an issue.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

My friend had a MY2011 or 2012 Sonata with the 2.0T motor, and the DBW system is tuned to give you 80% throttle at 10% gas pedal because it leaves a good impression of "this car is quick" on the test drive. When you actually floor it, it doesn't go/pull noticeably faster/harder because it already gave you most of what it had.

This is how the dbw subarus, including the new wrx, are and it's annoying enough that I wrote them off for myself.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know your situation specifically but in my experience you don't run into worse loan rates until it's 10 years old or more, at least for credit unions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not a dick move to test drive a bunch of things. You're in the market for a car and not just joyriding or something so definitely don't feel bad about it. Be ready to fend off the salespeople though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the backup camera on my wife's Mazda3 and don't know why you wouldn't want one. I guess if you don't parallel park often it might not seem that useful. Never had backup sonar so I'm not sure why you'd want it over a good camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

It's not so much that they are useless, but they aren't worth buying $10,000 more car than you can actually afford just to get a few trinkets. If you want one that bad they can be added in aftermarket for a couple hundred bucks tops.

It's been said a lot in this thread before, but if you just want a nice new car with fancy modern features and you can afford it then by all means, go ahead. New cars are cool and nice but they are also hugely expensive and depreciate rapidly, but hey that's what disposable income is for! But if you try to justify buying a new car on flimsy grounds when your financial position to do so is not good, the thread is going to call you out on your poor justifications.

Totally, but backup cameras have been around long enough now that you can find them on reasonable used cars, it might just take a little more looking. There are $10k Priuses around me that have backup cameras.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: actually reading the links helps here.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I guess there are aspects to living in the midwest that I under appreciate.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The go-to in the US is SUVs. It used to be sedans but I think SUVs are now the best selling segment. If you specifically want a sedan I think the newer Mazda 6's do look pretty nice and that's on your main list. I'm sure an Accord would be good too but I think the 6 looks better. If you do go with an SUV type thing the CX-5 and CR-V are great, as is the Forester post-headgasket years. I can't think of any good reasons to stretch your budget for a Rav-4 or whatever instead of those.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think edmunds is actually tracking maintenance and repair data though. Their thingy about ownership costs says they calculate it based on the maintenance schedule, unscheduled maintenance that they don't explain how they track, and the cost of zero deductible extended warranties. That doesn't seem to me like some incredible, way better than consumer reports method of examining reliability. What do you like about it over CR so much?

edit: like, if you hate consumer reports, what about truedelta?

https://www.truedelta.com/Fiat-500L-vs-Honda-Civic-reliability-comparison,1137-109

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 11, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally liked driving the FiST way more than the FoST. Given how much the FiST depreciates a lightly used one should be pretty cheap. If you're cool with the size anyway.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a cheap-ish truck to haul equipment around that's too big for my fiesta, go camping in, and also be a truck because I like trucks and haven't had one in quite a while. I'm not sure what to look for and what to avoid as far as models and engines though.
  • Budget: around $4000
  • How will it be used? Beater in the winter, hauling stuff for the house, hauling camera and lighting equipment for work (needs to be out of the weather, but it'd be nice if it was in a separate compartment like a cargo van or pickup with a topper or tonneau cover)
  • Hauling equipment on messed up roads
  • Decent ground clearance and ideally 4wd. I've driven these roads with a 98 suburban and it did fine, but it was a bitch to maneuver at times due to the length. Most of the time 2wd is fine but I'd like 4wd for fun.
  • If it's a pickup, I'd prefer an extended cab as I feel like single cabs are kinda uncomfortable
  • Don't mind if it needs maintenance, I'm expecting that at this price, but would like to find something known to be relatively reliable with higher mileage.

The only vehicle of this style I feel knowledgeable enough about to get a the right thing would be an XJ and they're really hard to find around here not totally rusted out, and like I mentioned a separate cargo area would be ideal. It seems like there are a lot of full size pickups that'd fit the bill, but I just have no idea what to look for and avoid. I like smaller trucks like Tacomas but they have a huge price premium here. Rangers seem like a plausible option but they seem to cost the same as a larger vehicle in my market and I'm not sure if that makes sense.

The sum total of my knowledge of trucks that aren't the Jeep Cherokee:
  • Some Chevy pickups had problems with frames rusting near the steering box
  • Some Toyota trucks had frame rust issues
  • Some Ford diesels had lots of problems
  • Diesels in general are way expensive to maintain even if they can last forever
  • For some reason I've written off in my head S10s and all Dodge trucks but I don't know if there's any good reason for that
  • Plow trucks are probably hosed up

And with that I'm looking at Rangers from '98 on, F150s and F250s from basically forever, Toyota and Nissan small pickups (not tundras or titans), and even though I'd like more of a pickup keeping my eye out for a nice 98/99 XJ cause I love em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love XJs and have been looking for another one casually for a while. They're great if you get a decent one, but finding said decent one might be harder than you think depending on your market. I've started considering WJs too since there seem to be a few more still kicking around in good shape.