Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

TL;DR - Leasing a car is always better than buying a car.

Just for clarification's sake, this applies to purchasing a new car vs leasing a new car. You still save a ton of money if you decide to go with a used car. See the quoted portion below:

quote:

if you are willing to drive a 5 year old car 5 years from now, why aren't you willing to drive a 5 year old car RIGHT NOW? It would definitely be cheaper than either leasing or buying a new car right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Still looking for recommendations. I may have to settle for a FWD car. Scirocco/mini? Maybe a FR-S, but couldn't really get a used one, so it'd wipe a good chunk of my savings, even after selling the Miata. Also, buying new, riding the worst of the depreciation, and selling in a few years when I move back to the US doesn't make sense.

AFAIK, Scion doesn't exist in England. I think you'd be looking at an equivalent Toyota GT86 or Subaru BRZ (and the associated price bump).

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

a Challenger SRT8

This is totally unrelated to your own question, but how do you like owning the Challenger? I'm looking at it as a possible new purchase.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nm posted:

Basically, the challenger is a muscle car among pony cars. Like driving a v8 sofa (a good thing if that is what you want),

I have an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a small block 307 and pillow-top seats and velour interior, so V8 couch sounds right up my alley.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

*snip*

Proposed Budget: 25k-30k. Possibly a lease as this will be the first time I will be driving low enough miles for it to be an option. I also like to change cars on a fairly regular basis so this is an avenue I am exploring.
New or Used: Used or new if I'm leasing.
Body Style: 2 door - hatch, convertible or coupe, in that order. I would consider a 4 door wagon as well if it blew me away. Prefer a small car.
How will you be using the car?: Commute 52 miles roundtrip 1x a week. Highway is all 80-85mph toll road. Otherwise just around town and for fun. I drive spiritedly so I am looking for a fun car. Something I can track would also be nice.

I have a few criteria for whatever car I end up getting:
* Manual
* RWD (AWD might also be ok but no real need here)

Some other things I'd like to see
* Xenons/LEDs - I live out from the city and it is pitch black out here so I've grown accustomed to the xenons in my last 2 cars.
* 2 door
* N/A engine but supercharged or turbocharged are both OK in my book

*snip*

A Subaru BRZ would hit all of your requirements: small car, manual, RWD, available HID headlamps, 2 door, NA engine, $25-30k.

edit: Other cars I would add to the shortlist would be a Miata, Mustang, and 370Z.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 12, 2013

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Do Miatas have HID lights available?

I don't think you can get them stock, but there are kits.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to spend $9k~ on a car. I've had my eye on getting an e46 bmw wagon for a while now, and one popped up in my area. The market for these is pretty whacky, so I probably won't be able to negotiate very far down from the $9k asking price. I'm not attached to this particular car, but they don't come up often in the configuration I like and its mileage is <100k.

I'm no BMW expert, but I'd personally be afraid of a bevy of upcoming expensive repairs needed around 100k mileage. Would you be in trouble if you bought this car and discovered it needed several thousand more dollars worth of work?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

in my head posted:

The first car I ever bought myself was a Mustang, and I still love them, so I appreciate the Boss 302 suggestion. I'm just not so sure people would take me seriously in it.

Don't worry about negative stereotypes about owning a certain type of car, because EVERY car has a negative stereotype. No matter what, someone can look at any car and assume jackass/redneck/Eurotrash/poor/midlife crisis/douchebag/small penis/drug dealer/trophy wife/Jersey Shore/dirty hippy/etc... Just get what you like, because everyone else is going to hate it, but only you have to drive it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

What? Tell me about Top Gear. I watch the UK one and love it.

Top Gear is entertainment, not Consumer Reports.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

xaarman posted:

I should have mentioned that. I still need a back seat to put groceries/work equipment, etc.

I think what you're looking for is called 'extended cab'. Regular cab has no back seats; extended cab has a smaller back seat; crew cab has full size back seats and four doors and is huge.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Nice!

I fantasize about buying a car for a really low price but at some terrifying interest rate, so the dealership thinks they're coming out ahead then paying the entire loan off the next day.

This is why prepayment penalties exist. Read your loan paperwork!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

bouruarofuto posted:

I'm beginning my car search for the first time in my adult life, and I hope some knowledgeable goons will be kind enough to give me some advice. My car experience and knowledge is pretty limited (I can change a tire, that's pretty much it) so any insight at all is greatly appreciated.

Proposed Budget: 2,000 - 3,500

New or Used: Used

In your price range, you're not going to be choosing makes and models. The most important thing will be shopping for a good previous owner. The car's individual history will override just about anything else.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pendragon posted:

Proposed Budget: 20k to 30k
New or Used: new
Body Style: preferably not a minivan or SUV, but willing to consider.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (very short commute), hauling twins, long distance trips with twins and wife
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Nice to have, but secondary to my other needs.
What aspects are most important to you? Gas mileage, reliability, cargo space, safety.

My wife and I have 10 year old cars with small back seats that worked beautifully for 10 years. Now with newborn twins, those small back seats are making for uncomfortable driving. In addition, we plan on taking some long distance vacations with the little buggers, and our cars lack the trunk space for a twin stroller, suitcases, and two fold-up bassinets. Hence, we are starting to look into a new car.

We've looked into a Prius, and it definitely looks good. We just want to be certain the trunk can hold everything. If it doesn't, our options get slim. The Prius V looked promising until it failed IIHS's slight offset collision test. I've looked at the Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI and love the cargo space and gas milage, but reliability may be an issue. I've also considered the Toyota Camry hybrid. Anyone have other suggestions?

This is anecdotal, but my sister who recently had kids got a Mazda 6 and loves it. I'm not sure how big the trunk is, but I think it hits every other requirement of yours.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Traitorous Leopard posted:

...I'm looking for something more "professional" or "adult" now if that makes any sense.

If you want something more "professional" or "adult" for yourself, that's cool, but I would recommend against buying a car based on the image you believe it projects.

That being said, nm is right:

nm posted:

An audi Q5 is for quasi-wealthy soccer dads in their 40s.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

Haha I c/p-ed your reply to him and he said "not to be all 'dude' about it but...if I get one veto its going on the prius. you can veto literally all of the muscle cars"

So.... what car would you recommend 2nd? :D He's on a Mazda 3 kick sending me links and I don't blame him - they look cool and seem to have great stats on our spreadsheet at least.

The Mazda 3 is highly regarded around here as both practical and fun. They're just a bit more expensive than direct competitors and smaller than most of the other things you're looking at.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Miata, RX8 or Mustang depending on your preference for convertible top/mullets/fuel economy/comfort in your own sexuality.

At that price you can also look at S2000s.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

If you're looking at a tow vehicle, what's the tow capacity you're going to need for your boat and trailer?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Turn signal lever that maintains position when activated, like they all did until a couple of years ago.

This is news to me, what do modern cars do now?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

They don't make them new anymore, but the Honda S2000 is fun as hell. At your price range, you could look also look at BMW coupés like a 228i if you're cool with German cars.

edit: There's also Mustangs and 370Z's if you want bigger and more power.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 5, 2014

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

moana posted:

Really, even in the mountains? Why does anyone need AWD, then?

Most people don't.

It's a common misconception that AWD will improve handling and braking in low-traction conditions. That's not what it does.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/cars/news/industry/the-myth-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

The biggest thing you can do is ensure you have proper tires for the conditions, which will go much further toward avoiding getting stuck than AWD will.

A good demonstration: http://jalopnik.com/heres-irrefutable-proof-that-all-wheel-drive-is-worthle-1671708207

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This is for a friend who is very timid, so I can only give rough details.

He's torn between a Miata and a Mustang, which are as far as I'm concerned two very different cars (I4 vs. V-6 Ecoboost/V-8). I think his max ceiling budget was around ~27,000. He wants something he can drive in the summer that's fast, sporty, and comfortable. I personally think he's better off with the Mustang but I would like others input as well.

That question can be answered by a test drive. They're as opposite as sports cars can be.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nm posted:

It's peppy. I really like mine, but if the question is just fun, get a miata. Can you get at 12k s2k?

It's definitely possible, depending on your market, but it'll probably be clapped out and/or very high mileage. The Miata option will get you comfortably in the budget without having to shop the bottom of the barrel.

Increasing your budget will get you better S2000s, but Miata Is Always The Answer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ouhei posted:

I hadn't heard much negative about it? You'd think for as long as they've been using that thing it'd be bullet proof by now.

Subaru is almost synonymous with 'blown head gasket'.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Vinny the Shark posted:

...AWD would put my mind at ease and I know it would have prevented that last accident.

I'm curious how you think AWD would have prevented an accident. AWD does NOT help stop or steer (all cars are "4 wheel brake" and "2 wheel steer"). AWD is about getting your car moving from a dead stop.

Snow tires DO help stop and steer, which is why they're so important.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

porkswordonboard posted:

I live in Maine, so any winter-specific features are great. I really, really don't want to buy snow tires...I know myself well enough that they wouldn't go on until February. I've only ever driven Subarus, which I like a lot especially with their AWD.

Fyi, Subarus and AWD still suck rear end without snow tires.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-irrefutable-proof-that-all-wheel-drive-is-worthle-1671708207

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I wouldn't take that thing for free.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

What else is ahead of it?

The Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, and Kia Sportage are also in the segment.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

dpack_1 posted:

On this note:

Is buying a mid 00's BMW Z4 going to provide me with enough fun to offset the cost of one of them?

Should i consider a Merc SLK or just go with a MX5 instead?

Basically, low cost ~10year old roadsters, in the UK, will probably only do around 1-1.5k miles a year in the thing. What are my options?

Honda S2000? I'm not sure what your options are in the UK but I will never stop recommending the S2K.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

There are hill holders in manual cars? I thought it was only for automatics.

They've become much more common in the last 5 years or so on manuals. It's often also referred to as hill start assist.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I will never tire of suggesting a Honda S2000.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I do like how it drives but the infotainment systems in the Outback and Forester seem a bit....dated.

I would really prefer AWD because I get hit with 140+ inches of snow every winter.

I know this point gets hammered every time someone mentions AWD and snow, but snow tires are WAY more important than AWD. I drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass through 5 winters in Wyoming and Colorado and never got stranded. On separate occasions, I got through where a Subaru Outback and a Nissan Pathfinder got stuck because they had the wrong dogshit tires.

An example of a RWD BMW with snow tires leaving behind a Subaru: https://youtu.be/STaximkaQxo

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah I didn't mean for this to turn into car looks talk. Is there another 15-17 hatchback people have had good experiences with?

The Mazda 3 is often regarded as best-in-class, you should try one if you're shopping hatchbacks.

edit: derrrrp i just re-read your post and saw that's what you owned before. This post will remain as a testament to my mistake.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm looking at early-mid 2000's models of these four cars, all with or around 100k mileage:

Honda S2000
Porsche Boxster
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Mercedes Benz SL class

From a mechanical reliability standpoint, can you tell me which models are the most reliable, or least reliable?
Thanks for the experiential input. It always helps to hear from goons with time wrenching on these models, rather than some of the fanboy forums.

Honda S2000 is most reliable by a comfortable margin. It’s very common for them to go 200k miles, sometimes 300k+.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also, you don't seem to have the same concern about any of the other components that can fail asymptomatically

the battery degrades gradually. if it actually fails, that's warrantable. the failure rate of hybrid EV batteries is extremely low. mean lifetime on the Gen 2 battery pack is somewhere north of 125k miles

This is worth repeating: even if a Prius has a completely worn out battery, it then just becomes A Normal Car. The gas mileage will not be as good but it's pretty much entirely drivable.

Compare this to, say, a Subaru with a worn out head gasket, which can leave you on the side of the road with a bill for a new engine.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

You also mentioned dog ownership, which might affect your decisions. Reliability aside, most dog owners I know love Outbacks for the relatively low hatch. I don't know if you have a chihuahua or a great Dane, but hatches in general are helpful.

I also find it interesting that you prefer not to have leather for dog reasons. My sister got so sick of trying to vacuum dog hair out of cloth seats that she actually bought a full set of leatherette seat covers. Those might be the best bet if you want to preserve the upholstery.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Oh my God this is the best idea I've ever heard

Doug Demuro famously did this with a Range Rover: https://jalopnik.com/my-range-rover-s-carmax-warranty-is-now-half-over-and-i-1733772237/amp

I think Carmax wised up after paying out tens of thousands on a single Range Rover that was constantly in the shop.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

How so? I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of what's good and bad aside from "my current car with AWD is way easier to get out of a snowy embankment than my last one with FWD".

I wrote a more detailed post and lost it to a browser crash, but here’s the deal: not all AWD systems are created equal. Honda’s was notorious for basically being a FWD that didn’t perform when needed.

Check out this quick clip and imagine the rollers are ice/snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Edit: beaten by the smart poster above me.

I will use any excuse to post this again, because a lot of folks that buy AWD for the snow should actually be worrying about winter tires instead. Watch the AWD Subaru slip all over the place while a RWD BMW has no problem due to having the right tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
An AWD system won’t help if the tires don’t have any grip in the first place.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Alizee posted:

What is most important? Kms, year, make, engine? I just want to drive around.

Quite frankly, when you’re buying cars in this price range, the most important thing is the previous owner(s). Treat it like you’re interviewing them for a job. You can’t tell from a spreadsheet whether an owner was a meticulous granny who kept records and only drove to church on Sundays, or a hotheaded teen who did burnouts in the parking lot and didn’t change the oil in the last 30,000 miles.