Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Figured I was ok with the signed documents, but yeah I severely underestimated the thuggery of Hyundai dealers.

Should have had a cancellable return flight dialled up (next time, absolutely). Haggled another 2500 off. Still mean mugging the finance guy who is trying to crack jokes.

Also, they didn't even detail the loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

euphronius posted:

How did the dealer put 1000 miles on a car ?

It had a toll bar code taped right below the rear view, so basically this:

wesleywillis posted:

Probably everyone took a ride in it, showed it off to the wife, kids, brought it home over night etc..

zedprime posted:

Speaking of cars you plug in and hope don't cost you weeks of warranty repairs, what are the full EVs to keep an eye on that aren't Teslas? I think 2025 is ultimately going to be the year I swap my commute go-kart Civic out of a want for ACC and my forebrain says get on a Prius list, my pituitary gland says a Mazda 3, and my heart wants a full EV in which case I want to keep an eye out this year for coupons or changing incentive structures.

I have been joking in this thread about a Mach E for 3 years now and it apparently is holding its own? Although I'm starting to feel slightly pandered to by their frunk advertising campaigns.

Proposed Budget: $70k if pressured or warranted, <$50k preferred

The Cadillac Lyriq is gorgeous (if slightly smaller in real life than you'd think), and the integrated panel is one of the best I've ever seen. 300 mile range, starts at $57k.

If it was 10k cheaper, I might have bought it instead.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've bought three cars online.

1st was as documented, zero problems. (Saab Turbo X in Geneva, IL)

2nd I got a bait and switch once I sent the actual check off with the VIN on it, because I know they were waiting until I came up there (Atlanta) to spring a 1.5 liter Accord on me when I was looking for a 2.0. It was only when I actually sent the check that they had to call and tell me. I learned from this to run the VIN through an identifier to make sure it matches all the options you're picking.

I ended up getting what I needed from another close by Honda dealer in Conyers. No more bullshit from that point, although I had my guard up.

3rd time was recently, just a few pages ago in this thread. Looking for a blue GV70, found one in Norman OK that was lower priced than the other closer one in Atlanta (but not so low as to raise alarm bells). Signed paperwork through email that said 19 miles on it. Flew to OKC, got to lot, drat near 1000 miles on it.

From that, I learned two things; don't buy a one-way ticket, no matter what. The deal isn't done until you're driving off the lot, even if you signed the papers, so leave yourself an escape hatch. And second, make sure they send you an odometer pic and you get them in writing confirming every single nitpicking detail.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Postscript on my Genesis adventure- finally went through the paperwork in the glove compartment. it has a test drive customer info sheet with the dude's phone number and address, and a photocopy of his license and insurance.

I left him a voicemail and a text telling him what happened and a picture of them, told him I was shredding it, and then told him to go raise hell.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah. I'm fully on board the "the biggest problem with Genesis is Hyundai" train now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Figured it was going to be a Mazdaspeed, but nope.

Couple of caveats with the price there are NYC on a small lot.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

jokes posted:

You’re right they only offer a hybrid accord now— weird! The insight is dead because it was too pure for this world

Honda pulled the weird move of killing the 2.0T option and making the hybrid motor the upgrade. Maybe the take rate on the more powerful motor was low and they needed the CAFE boost.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have to admit, while the buying experience on this GV70 was poo poo, and there was a defect on the car (sunroof slightly misaligned, made loud noise at 70mph+) that the service department here fixed nicely, I have loved every bit of this car so far. Literally the only two complaints I have about it are the ones I heard from every Youtube review- the gear selector dial and the screen navigation dial are too similar and too close, and that it doesn't have wireless Apple Carplay. That's about it, except super finicky poo poo like "sometimes the fingerprint pad takes 2-3 times to recognize me".

I even had a G70 loaner for the day while it was in the shop (the car I originally was going to get) just so I could see if there was any selection remorse, and nope. Super duper happy I went with the SUV, despite never originally wanting one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Motronic posted:

I have never once considered the radio/infotainment system in a car to be a dealbreaker. I literally don't understand the concept. The aftermarket has this covered easily and it's a minor cost when talking car-level-spending.

I thought this prior, but CarPlay really, really has its hooks in me. If it were to be a substitute infotainment product like GM is trying to make proprietary, it better be drat near as capable or it is a serious checkmark against the vehicle.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Jesus christ. Thanks gently caress my only MUST HAVE OR NO DEAL EVER poo poo is a Manual Transmission.

No, not trying to be all :smugdog: just saying that glad I don't have to give a gently caress about poo poo like that on something that may otherwise be the perfect vehicle especially if that something can be obtained in the aftermarket.

I have my manual Accord. I don't need it on every car.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gangringo posted:

The number one thing I like about a manual is the instant response between throttle and wheels. Rowing my own gears and manual clutch control is secondary. Modern premium automatics are good enough about the former that I am willing to trade the enjoyment of the latter for convenience in a daily driver.

yeah, bumping it into Sport+ Mode and running through 8 gears, running higher than normal revs basically gives me a good percentage of the thrill I used to get from slinging around the Miata.

Especially when I remember the goddamned 4 speed I had on my El Camino.

Part of the experience of being middle-aged and buying new cars about once a decade (ish- 2005, then 2018, then 2024) is continually feeling like you're driving some Buck Rogers poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nitrox posted:

The rumor that you can take a garden hose to a Honda Element, has been making the rounds since the car first came out.

I always thought it was some veiled joke about its popularity with lesbians.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I still have a few issues of Boxes, Bubbles and Donks laying around here somewhere

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

3rd row seats seems like the new pickup bed. Everybody thinks they need it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Yeah, it usually works out that we just need the 3rd row fairly infrequently but it is useful when it is there. Normally the 3rd row is down for dog carriers in the back. The full size ones are probably a bit too large for our needs.

Believe me I tried selling the minivan idea :sigh: Would probably go for the Carnival, they have a new hybrid coming out. But my wife is extremely stubborn.

You're really trying to find a small moving target here of "3rd row" but "not too big".

GV80s have them, but only on the higher trim, and unless you're going several years old that would be out of budget.

Have you written off the VW Atlas? They have an insanely wide band of trim levels and prices.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

How long do you generally want to wait after a redesign to go in on a car? I really like the look of the new Lexus GX 550 but I don’t want to be an early adopter, nor am I willing to pay over sticker for it. I’m thinking 2-3 years they should have everything sorted? Maybe grab a used after they figure things out? I know sone car manufacturers have no trouble introducing redesigned vehicles but lately they all seem to have some problems.

Year 2 usually, but I dunno. We bought the first MY Accord of its generation (2018) and it has had not even the first hint of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

My search for a new car has taken on a new urgency. A girl was looking for a lost contact rather than the road and plowed into my car. I'm ok but the car will be totaled.

Egads. Glad you're all right.