Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have no idea if this is the place to ask, but - I'm strongly considering a used Focus. My budget allows me to get a lightly used one at the Titanium trim. I like the leather, I like the butt warmers...but I have heard catastrophic things about MyFord Touch. Is it as bad as all that? Dropping to a lower trim would save cash, and it could be worth it if the system really does suck that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Those words about the 3's system are a little sad to hear - I'm considering the same car. How crashy are we talking? Things seemed nice and snappy when I did my test drive, but that was all of 5 minutes of use.

Also, does the thing interface with iphones/ipods in any nice way, or do you just rock an Aux cable? I forgot to check when I was at the dealership.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know how Scion keeps their lights on considering everything they sell is ancient except for an impractical 2 seater sports car. Are there any major upcoming product launches for Scion? I *like* reading about those and even I'm drawing a blank.

Jalopnik keeps running articles saying that Toyota desperately wants to make a shooting brake version of the car, but Subaru may not want to play ball.

From a technological perspective, I'm not sure that body style makes a ton of sense bolted onto a sports car, but I'd imagine it could sell pretty well and Im not technically knowledgeable anyway.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 16, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

morcant posted:

Proposed Budget: under $25000
New or Used: New, preferably
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving a few miles to/from work and the store. A few 2-3hr road trips a year, with one larger ~8hr trip.
What aspects are most important to you?: Automatic transmission, Bluetooth, decent mileage. Something that isn't complete poo poo in snow, since half the streets in my Midwestern town aren't plowed.

I've got a 2005 Focus to trade in, which the internet tells me I should get ~$2k for. I'd like to swing payments under $300/mo, and could put up to $7k down, though I'd prefer a little less than that.

The Mazda 3 is a go-to recommendation in this class. Your list of wants is a little light (I think every non-hot hatch on the market ticks the first three boxes, and I doubt any of them are all that impressive in the snow due to their size), but the 3 is a fun car to drive. The Focus is also popular, but by all accounts their touch interface is actually a reason to not get a well-equipped version. That's not a problem if you don't want the tech package though!

The 3 also just got a refresh, which sorta matters from an aesthetic standpoint; a 2014 will look like newly sold 3s for a while, so it'll continue to look "new." Assuming you don't send it around a pole, of course.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not really even that. Most hatchback versions of cars are significantly shorter overall than the sedan version and don't really have much advantage in terms of overall space. The only advantage really is maybe easier parking due to shorter length and carrying over-sized items. How often do you really carry oversized items anyway? I think Car Forum posters just like hatchbacks and wagons ironically.

Besides the cargo room issue, I also think the hatch versions of cars look better most of the time. My 2012 Mazda3 is a bit of a push, but the sedan Focus looks like rear end compared to the hatch, which I think is pretty :slick:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 15, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

IRQ posted:

I haven't seen anyone bitch about the Mazda3's auto, and I find it perfectly fine in mine. It just feels like a regular old automatic with 4 gears like every other car I've ever driven.

Worth noting 3 has a six speed, or at least the ones with the skyactiv drivetrain do.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

Want to get rich? Break the rules that poor people have to follow, claim ignorance if you get caught, and hire expensive lawyers to plead your case.

In fairness, that is the power of a corporate entity, and the rich do emulate it to enhance their fortunes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I feel like fit is more a matter of proportion than pure height, right? Like, I'm 5'10" - extremely average - and I find my wife's focus weirdly uncomfortable.

But yeah absolutely just go sit in the car. Find a Carmax or a Carvana or an Enterprise Car Sale or some other no-pressure place for all these test drives, then if you don't feel like paying the premium associated with them, go buy elsewhere.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the aversion people have to leaving the house and physically sitting in and driving a car is absurd

then again: goons

Honestly, if a person hasn't been to one of the no-pressure dealerships, it's understandable. The imagined (and somewhat typical) car buying experience involves fairly pushy sales tactics, and every time you get into a car there's someone to ask what it would take to get you to take that car home.

I know I paid more for that car than I would have if i had shopped around even slightly aggressively, but I really appreciated that business model and was fine supporting it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

And Mazda and Subaru are on the bubble.

Did something change here? The 3 used to be this thread’s go-to for “I’d like something at least somewhat engaging to drive.”

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

My parents Honda Element just died. They liked the higher ride and the roomy interior. They’re older, so something they can slide into rather than sit down into is important. They also enjoyed the...let’s say unique styling of the Element.

I don’t have a firm budget for them (and I’ll check back in if they give me one,) but they’re retired and don’t drive much, so I’m assuming keeping the price down would be preferable.

The answer here is the Kia Soul, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

incogneato posted:

I think they'll even ship cars from other locations that you find online (presumably for a fee).

For what its worth, when you look at Carmax's inventory on the website, they'll tell you how much it is to transfer the car in. If you live in a city with multiple Carmax...en, it's free (at least it is for my smaller city; major metros might be different). Looks like things start at about $100 (for example, Memphis to St. Louis); it costs all of $250 to get a car here from LA. Even on a budget of $10,000, shipping a car from nearby isn't prohibitive.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

At one point, wasn't Nissan marketing a stripped down version of the Versa for <$10k new?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Boring driving dynamics + a higher ride than the Fiat she was coming from (I'm remembering that right, right?) is a winner for a lot of people. I'll bet this was one of the first cars they drove that fit that profile; primacy bias is a thing.

The fact that the transmission might explode sounds like Friend-in-50,000-miles' problem.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Hello this thread! I recently got my 2010 Jetta written off, have just started new car shopping and feel fairly overwhelmed by the whole process, so I figured I'd ask for suggestions. Based on the little form in the OP:

Proposed Budget: < 25,000 CAD (for I live in Canada)

I don’t know what the used market is like in the frozen north, but you should be able to find a Prius in that range. It’s the go to thread suggestion for “I need a go-box, I just don’t want it to break and I don’t want it to cost a hojillion dollars if something breaks.”

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I don't have any actual knowledge of this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the disparity between haggle-free and haggle...ful dealerships varied wildly. A large selling point of the haggle-free companies is a nationwide selection of cars, with the cost of transit being a line item (at least hypothetically based on distance). That means you'll pay the same price for a Prius regardless of whether you're in North Dakota or the Bay Area. Meanwhile, dealerships can be more responsive to local price pressures.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

nm posted:

Back seat? Well la-de-loving-da. Rear hatch area.

When I was a kid, my parents took the benches out of the minivan because they needed the cargo space for business deliveries, and it was long enough ago that putting them in was a pain in the rear end. I got thrown back there a lot.

The only bad thing that happened to me is whatever caused me to continue posting on this website for a decade 16 years what the gently caress. Parents: use a carseat or your children will post on dead comedy forums run by domestic abusers.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 26, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Also, it really cannot be stressed enough how true their "no pressure" advertising is. I would maybe stop short of saying "everything on your lot is too expensive" but they won't have a problem with you just hanging out in their lot sitting in cars a bunch.

A 40 mile round trip in an uber or whatever is a pain, but it might be the difference between making a very large purchase that is merely acceptable vs one you're actually happy with.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

How does this thread think about the new vs. lightly used buying decision for the boring rear end Prius (or roughly equivalent) buyer? Like, is there a heuristic for how much is a couple years, 20k miles, and a fresh warranty is worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a reason to consider the Corolla Hybrid over the Prius? I don't quite understand the niche the Corolla Hybrid serves. Is it actually just 'wants a toyota hybrid compact but specifically doesn't want a Prius for aesthetic/cultural reasons"?