Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
Just in case anyone is looking for financing on a used car, and hasn't managed to hear about Pentagon Federal at some point in this subforum, you may want to check them out. They offer 3.99% on used cars (with a few restrictions on mileage and age), and you choose how long you want to take to pay back the loan (one to five years). They say you have to be a family member of someone who was in the military (I am), but you can also just make a small donation to the NMFA.

I bought an Envoy a few months ago to replace my Camaro and PenFed was very easy to work with. I filled out an online app telling them what the loan amount would be and how long I wanted it for, they ran my credit, and I had a check in the mail within a week. I took the check to the dealership, found the car I wanted, had the finance guy fill in the info on the check, and that was that. The only other thing I had to do was sign a couple documents they mailed to me after the check was cashed.

All in all, financing through PenFed was a dream compared to working with the assholes at the dealership like I've done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Blinkman987 posted:

How long have you used PenFed? I've always known them as a lender who only takes the cream of the prime at those rates unless you have a long history with them or a premium credit rating.

I had never heard of them until I read someone else's post on here talking about their used car loans. I signed up, filled out the app, and that was it. I do have a pretty high credit score though (780ish, I think), so I'm sure that helped.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
I just bought a car back in July and financed through PenFed. Most of what Nija said is correct, mine worked out slightly different though.

1. I figured out the maximum amount I wanted to spend per month using an online calculator, and used the loan amount ($22K in my case) as my starting point.

2. Created a savings account with PenFed, used my dad as a reference since he was in the Navy, and deposited $20 into the account.

3. I applied for a used car loan for $22K online.

4. A week or so later, a check and some paperwork showed up in the mail. The check was good for up to $22K.

5. Went car shopping. PenFed uses the NADA value of the car, plus up to 10% for taxes/registration/whatever as your "ceiling". You can find the NADA value online. Whatever the NADA value is + 10% is the most you're allowed to spend, regardless of what the check says.

6. After I found the car I wanted, I filled out the info on the check, gave it to the dealership, and they took care of the rest.

7. PenFed sent me a loan document to sign and return about a week later.

8. After all that, the loan was active and I started receiving monthly statements.

It was super easy, and I'd definitely use them again in the future.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
If they're offering to meet or beat 3.99%, and you're happy with the price you're paying, I don't see why you wouldn't want to take their offer.

If you apply for a PenFed loan and get your check, the loan isn't active until you cash the check, and the check is only good for 60 or 90 days if I remember right. You can always apply through them, get the check, and not use it if you don't have to.