Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.

skipdogg posted:

Everyone here in BFC acts like everyone should have 100 dollar a month food budgets, live off of rice and beans, and drive 1988 beater Honda Civics.

That's because people rarely post a thread that goes like this:

"Hey Guys. I just got another big raise at work and I've been married to my Wife, a nerdy trust fund girl who doesn't have expensive tastes, for a year. Her trust fund is 1.6m dollars and we're buying a 400,000 dollar house, but her Dad wants her to buy a 450,000 dollar house which has hardwood floors and other rich person shiny poo poo that we don't really care about. We're currently making 116k a year before taxes, of which 52k is from her trust, so it's available even if I lose my job. We have no kids and are using 2 types of contraceptives even though we rarely have sex. I think the extra 50k cost is overboard, particularly since my Wife is unemployed and only gets money from her trust. Any advice?"

But people frequently post a thread that goes like this:

"Hey Guys. I just got another fired at my job delivering pizzas in my Mini and I'm living with my girlfriend, a financially inept girl with a debt of only 16,000 dollars. We're buying a 450,000 dollar house, but her Dad wants her to buy a 400,000 dollar house which doesn't have the hardwood floors and other rich person shiny poo poo that we really want. We're were making 61k a year before I got fired, and I think I'll get rehired at the same payrate. My girlfriend has 25k a year from her fast food job, so it's available even though I lost my job. We only have 1 kid. My wife is having morning sickness again, but we think it's nothing. I think I can afford the extra 50k cost since my wife is still working. Any advice?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.

KarmaCandy posted:

A lot of us are financially sound and don't have sob stories to post.
You probably nailed it right here. If you are going to post a thread, you usually either have a sob story, or are setting up a megathread where other people can tell a sob story and ask for advice or ask how to avoid a sob story in the first place. For instance, technically the question "Okay, I want a Bugatti Veyron, but I want to be financially savvy about it. How much do I need in assets and income to make owning one be reasonable?" would fit this thread, but not a lot of people ask that question on the internet.