Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
How exactly do these loans like PenFed work? You go to the dealership and negotiate the price of the car after your down payment, the apply to PenFed for that amount, and if you are approved they send you a check? So then you just go into the dealership with the two checks, your personal check and the PenFed check, that equals out to the final price after all fees? I've never purchased this way before.

Also, PenFed's used car loan says this:

"For purchases of previously titled vehicles or refinances of original owner vehicles 2007 and older."

So what if I wanted to buy a used car that was 2008 or 2009?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Yes - you finalize a price through a dealer, apply at PenFed, get a check, and take it to the dealer when you sign your paperwork.

I refinanced a used auto through Penfed -- If your auto loan doesn't fit into their "used auto loan" or "new auto loan" categories, they put it in a "general auto loan" category at the exact same interest rate and term. In other words, Penfed really doesn't give a poo poo what the situation is, as long as you are borrowing money for a car and they get the title.

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to pre-qualify? I'd rather avoid the chance that I finalize a price with a dealer, apply for the loan, and not be accepted. Also how long does it take to receive the check if you are accepted?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Boogeyman posted:

PenFed

Follow up question regarding PenFed...

I found a car that I like and I'll probably move on it. The dealer asked what I was going to do as far as financing and I said I can get a 3.99% loan through PenFed. He said, "Well what if we can meet or beat that?".

I haven't actually applied to PenFed yet for the loan, but my credit score is 798 and I don't see why they'd reject me.

Is there any harm to me letting the dealer try to match it? The flip side to that is, what if they can't? I haven't applied for the PenFed loan so I can't take their check in there. Should I apply for the loan and have it just in case? But what happens if I don't need to use it?

EDIT:

Dealer says they will beat the 3.99% so I may as well just go with that.

Butthole Prince fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 26, 2010