Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CloFan posted:

Any opinions on the 2017 Civics? Looking for a car for my wife, and she really likes the new body styles-- specifically, the hatchback. Unfortunately for us we're in the market now/near future, I would love it we could wait a year and get a year-end deal or something gently used. We test drove one today and they feel nice, so we're pretty sure this is 'the one'.

Should be a good, sturdy car. Acceleration and handling will be adequate, not great. Interior spartan but comfortable.

Excellent car for getting you from point A to point B with minimal fuss or cost. The fun will be in being at your destinations rather than getting there. It performs that function with minimal maintenance and cost.

An enthusiast would consider it a fairly boring car, but if it meets your needs and you like it well enough you'll get good service form it for years. It's the sort of car you appreciate rather than love.

You could do far worse. Enjoy your Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

Do most newer cars have the seat memory feature? My mom and my sister borrow my car a lot, it'd be nice to just press a button to get it where I like it.

Depends on the car. It's more of an upscale feature.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leasing a used car doesn't sound like a good idea. Others can discuss the economics of it better than I can.

You might try a Honda Civic. They are reported to have be good for tall drivers. The main issue is whether or not you feel comfortable in the driver's seat, so test fit a bunch until you know what you like. Then you can zero in on a model/year combination that fits your budget.

Reliability is almost a red herring these days. All new cars are quite reliable on the average. There are differences to be sure, but they are comparatively small. Get a car you like and feel comfortable in. The rest will take care of itself.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GenJoe posted:

Proposed Budget: 23,000. I'll go higher if I absolutely fall in love with the car, but 23k is a good soft limit I think.
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door sedan, maybe a hatchback? I drive a 2008 Dodge Caliber right now and like it.
How will you be using the car?: Short commute -- I walk in the summer, and no family to haul around, but I do take a 500 mile trip every 3 weeks or so.
What aspects are most important to you? Smooth and comfortable drive, decent interior and good sound (the sound on my caliber is real good, even though it's a base model).

So I drove a Mazda 3 4-door Grand Touring at two different dealers today. Goons have been guffawing universally about it but idk I wasn't really in love with it. The ride felt a little too sporty -- like it'd be fun if I were taking it around a track, but for point A to point B driving I think I'd prefer something a little smoother. Am I crazy here?

I travel a decent amount, and the only rental I think I've really enjoyed was the Ford Fusion, but I have no idea what the engine configuration or anything like that on the one's I've driven. It just felt good and easy to handle. Any recommendations on the newer models?

I don't think I can resign myself to buying a Prius. It is hella ugly (like I don't care too much about appearance but come on), and the one time I drove one as a rental I hated the interior. It was doing some MPG eco-gamification with progress bars and poo poo like wtf no toyota, just no.

Are there any other cars beyond the fusion that I should look at?

There's a bazillion cars that fall in that category. The Fusion is certainly a good car.

Other cars that seem to fit your criteria:
Toyota Camry
Nissan Altima
Honda Accord
Subaru Legacy
Mazda Mazda6
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Buick Verano

Mostly it's a matter of driving some and finding the one you like best. Almost every manufacturer has something in the price range and style you're considering, so visit some car lots and have fun.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

So are there any cars that sit high, I'd rather not do an SUV.

Looking at about at 15k Canadian budget.

Sitting high and not an SUV sounds like a minivan. '14 or '15 Odyssey will fix you right up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver test several cars that come up a lot in this thread head-to-head:

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT RS vs. 2017 Honda Civic Sport, 2017 Mazda 3 Touring 2.5, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Edition

The Honda wins, even though they hate its styling.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

Isn't this the first year that CR won't recommend the civic due to reliability issues?

I learned several decades ago to get car advice from CD rather than CR, and have never regretted it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

Consumer reports has the most accurate reliability ratings. (CD doesn't even do it.)
Also, CR's auto people are AI as gently caress, they just write to their audience. CD can't get BMW's nuts out of their mouths anyhow.

CR's reliability ratings are nowhere near as accurate as they would like you to think. The statistical value of many of their distinctions is pretty dubious. There simply aren't enough cars of most make/model/year combinations to make valid comparisons to others with the kind of accuracy they claim.

Their ratings also tend to overvalue comparative differences at the expense of absolute. The failure rate of alternators on 2014 Fords may be higher than those on Hondas, say, but the rate is sufficiently low in either case that it makes no practical difference.

I'm not saying they're useless, just that they shouldn't be taken overly seriously. There's lots of problems with their ratings they gloss over out of self-interest.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

What would you suggest using for reliability then?
CR's ratings are a reasonable starting point. They're not the whole story, though. Even cars with high reliability reputations will have their issues.

I've never particularly worried about it. I've bought cars I liked or filled a particular need and repairing them was just part of owning them. The differences are not so big as to be all that important, IMO and experience. New cars will be under warranty for at least three years, used cars will start wearing stuff out and need repairs regardless of brand.

As far as methodology goes, I like these guys - it's based on actual warranty claims for each car. Unfortunately, it's based in the UK and only partially useful for the US market.

My advice is always to buy a car you like and don't worry about it. If you're on a budget or have particular needs, your options are usually limited so again don't worry about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

It's pretty neat how people who own FIAT-Chrysler products suddenly assemble every time the words Consumer Reports is mentioned in a thread.

I've owned cars made by VW, Nissan, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Honda, and FIAT. I haven't cared about CR's ratings on any of them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Number_6 posted:

I became wary of CR back in the '80s when they'd sometimes give a bad reliability report on imported cars rebadged as a domestic GM/Ford/Chrysler, while giving a good rating to the same car badged as a Toyota or Mitsubishi or whatever. And at least at the time, you could palpably sense the hatred CR had for any kind of performance-oriented car like the Camaro/Mustang/Corvette over "socially responsible" cars.

That's about the time I gave up on them, as well. Rating the Omni/Horizon "unacceptable" for failing a weird lane-changing maneuver that no one else could duplicate was what did it for me. CU was pissed about Iaccoca wanting loan guarantees and they clearly went out of their way to beat up on Chrysler as a result. They've hated Chrysler ever since.

I would also look up ratings of badge-engineered twins as a kid and laugh at the discrepancies. Another fun game was looking at their ratings of new cars in back issues, then following how they panned those same cars as used cars years later.

My Dad was obsessed by CR's ratings and growing up I watched him buy a series of cars he really didn't like based on their recommendations. I determined to look elsewhere for advice and have been happy with the result.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Taffer posted:

I looked at some Prius's today but the selection here is not great. They were older and higher priced than I'd like. I test drove a Civic and enjoyed it. 2014, $14k, low miles. Is that a decent choice?

Yeah, a Civic would be fine. Priuses may be cheap to operate, but they're boring as hell. I'm the contrary voice that doesn't particularly like them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

I want them to explain why they like such a boring color, Thermopyle.

Look at a parking lot. 90+% of the cars will be red or monochrome (somewhere on the white-grey-black spectrum). Lots of people seem to like boring colors.

A pet peeve of mine is how little choice there is in car colors these days, though. I may not want to buy a chartreuse or electric orange car, but I should have the option, damnit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

I work at a car dealership, recently a Volvo S60 T5 came in 275 000 klms on the clock the wholesaler offered it to me for dirt cheap.

The used car mechanic said as long as it has had the timing belt done it should be right I'm getting it inspected tomorrow.

Whats the goon consensus?

Edit; its a 2001 and its $500

If you like it, go for it. $500 for a functioning car of any type is a steal; if it's something you actually like it's even better.

If it blows up in 100 miles, you're not really out that much. Looks like a low risk, high reward situation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

C... posted:

Proposed Budget: 10,000-13,000 CAD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: non teeny hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Road trips and light camping trips only, no commuting.
What aspects are most important to you? fuel efficiency and storage space are paramount. An AUX port is high tech enough.

Was looking at the 2013 Honda Fit, for the amazing storage space, cute factor and low TCO. However, two things happened:

1 - my partner got into grad school across the province, and
2 - I rented a Chevy Cruze for a work trip and fell the gently caress in love.

And it comes in a hatchback! But only this year. Oh dear.

So slightly revised:
Proposed Budget: Stop me from hurting myself
New or Used: I want dumb things for dumb reasons
Body Style: it comes in orange!
How will you be using the car?: ~300km of commuting per week, plus groceries and road trips / light camping.
What aspects are most important to you? torquey but refined acceleration and low MPG.

Basically, I'm hoping you fine people can save me from myself. I'd like to have some of the new Cruze's road trip characteristics (quiet cabin, good acceleration, useable infotainment, very reasonable mpg) and to get it in a used vehicle, ideally for substantially less than a new car. I've looked at all kinds of reviews for other hatchbacks (mazda3, focus, elantra gt, forte5, prius) but as it turns out, I'm secretly a sucker for a mature, no-nonsense, elevated driving experience. Previously drove an '07 Matrix, whose engine was insufficient but whose trunk I adored.

First hand accounts would be awesome. :)

No first hand account, but if you're into the Chevy spirit there's the Sonic, which is a bit smaller than the Cruze but otherwise similar. A 2014 model ought to be right at your price point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Renegade generally outscores the Crosstrek in reviews. Yes, it's a Jeep (made by FIAT) so it's going to be less reliable than the Subaru, but compared to how much you're already spending, the extra cost in maintenance isn't going to be all that much.

Buying a car is like buying a pair of shoes. If it doesn't fit, you're going to hate it and resent every penny you spend maintaining it.

Every car is going to need maintenance, and the difference between the best and the worst isn't very big. Get what you like and have fun with it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

There's the best, the worst, then FCA. The number of people I know with FCA lemon law experience on fiat based products is getting ridiculous. This isn't about cost, it is about your car being in the shop all the loving time.

My experience with FCA products has been quite different from yours, apparently.

ETA: Edmunds seems to agree with me:

2016 Jeep Renegade True Cost to Own: $26,506
2016 Subaru Crosstrek True Cost to Own: $30,282

So whatever issues the Jeep may have, the Subaru will likely be worse.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 17, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

Were your products made and designed by Fiat or Chrysler? Like the RWD products and some of the tracks aren't made, but the fiat based ones have some issues. The renegade is made in Italy and mostly is a fiat.

Mostly Chrysler, as FIATs had not been sold in the US for 30 years. I currently own a FIAT, however.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have a question about what to do about my old car, which I'm definitely getting rid of. It's a 2000 Audi A4 and is seriously the biggest piece of poo poo on the planet. CEL always on, oil pressure warning (though two mechanics have said there's no actual issue), awful interior condition, all speakers blown, battery dies in about 3 days if not driven (any battery; I've replaced many), only working lock is on the trunk (which can open the doors), weird herky-jerky revving issue when stopped in drive, auto dimming mirrors blew up and leaked auto dimming stuff all over, coolant and oil leaks, window regulator acting up (after having replaced it once already), hood pneumatic rod thing won't stay up, etc. The list goes on but I can't remember everything. It also needs to pass emissions soon and that'll probably cost > $1000 to get done. There's no way I'm doing that.

But! It runs and I still use it for grocery shopping on the weekends. But it's a junker, right? I'm thinking I should just call a scrap guy to come take it away instead of trying to trade it in or sell it. Is that my best option?

What to do with it depends a bit on whether or not you need to replace it immediately. A dealer would take it off your hands as a trade-in, may not be interested as a straight sale. As a trade-in they'd just wholesale it and it would be someone else's problem.

The car is maybe worth $1000 as is, its scrap value might be $400-$500. You could try a Craig's list ad for $1000 as a parts car and take $800, maybe. From what you describe I would feel awfully guilty fobbing it off on someone who intends to drive it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Proposed Budget: Trading in Tacoma that I owe $18k on
Body Style: Sedan with a trunk don't care about door amount
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work and for leisure
What aspects are most important to you? MPG

-----------------------

I currently have a 16 Tacoma, I want to get rid of it as I no longer live in a arctic wasteland but instead a sunny sunshine state.

I'm looking for a sedan, around 20k. What do you guys reccomend the most? The Civic or the Accord or the Corolla or a Impresza or a Mazda3?

If MPG is seriously all you care about, look at a Prius or other hybrid. Any of the cars you listed would get lower MPG but probably be a lot more fun to own and drive, so test out a bunch and see what you like. The Mazda3 tends to be a good compromise of economy and drivability.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'll stay away from the corolla then. Guess Honda or Mazda for me

Try one and see for yourself, though. Coming from a Tacoma, you may feel right at home in a Corolla. That it's the latest, greatest whatever matters less than it being something you actually like, rather than something you feel like you're supposed to like.

How practical or roomy does it need to be? Being in a warm, sunshiny state may make a convertible attractive. If you're not in a hurry to buy, take your time and learn what's available.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Careful Drums posted:

I have a third kid on the way and I'm thinking its time to sell my Charger for a minivan (I just asked about minivans in the parenting thread).

Proposed Budget: 22k
New or Used: Used, below 80k miles
Body Style: Minivan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver to work (16 mile round trip) and hauling wife/MIL and three kids around on evenings/weekends.
What aspects are most important to you? Just want to get good bang for the buck and be safe. I really don't care about fancy poo poo like speakers or extra screens. (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
location I live in metro Detroit so the roads kind of suck real bad and sometimes strangers judge you for not buying American.

Where my mind is right now - my mechanic says that Toyota Siennas are the best for maintainability which is cool, but Chrysler/Dodge minivans are in much greater supply and at lower prices. Finding a used Odyssey is really tough. A late-model Kia seems like not a bad idea either, but idk.

We bought a minivan a few years ago (2013). The T&C seemed fairly crude in comparison to the competition at that point. It was getting long in the tooth and was replaced with the Pacifica shortly thereafter. We ended up with an Odyssey and have been very happy with it. Getting one used is difficult, though. People tend to hang onto them.

I remember the Nissan having a huge center console that we found obnoxious. I don't think our Toyota dealer had a Sienna in stock, so we didn't drive one of those. It seems pretty nice, though.

You'll probably find more Siennas than Odysseys on the used lots, and get a better deal. I would recommend either of them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RoastBeef posted:

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R. I'm look for basically a luxury Subaru Outback.

Proposed Budget: 60K
Body Style: Wagon/Crossover/SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily drive, short commute (<20 miles), some roadtripping
What aspects are most important to you? Quiet, Cargo Area and Power in roughly descending order

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

More realistically, a Porsche Cayenne.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Proposed Budget: Bout 6k or so. MAYBE more, but not much.
New or Used: HAH, yea, guessing used on this.
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Smaller SUV is fine.
How will you be using the car?: Shopping in bulk, might eventually actually haul some lumber or something in there as well, but honestly, just need room to get like paper towels AND toilet paper from costco/sams club in there.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Bluetooth would be nice. Nav system would be cool but honestly kinda pointless since I don't drive very far too often.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Honestly, I get about 15-17mpg so I'd like something near that, reliability is important. I'd like to get the equivalent of "I put gas in it and it goes" maintenance. I'm pretty sure vehicles in this level of cost don't include "mid life crisis" or "Gonna get so many women", so I'm not worried about sporty.

I've been searching around but I haven't kept up with vehicles. I used to drive a Broncho ][ and it was awesome, but they don't make em anymore.

Any help is appreciated!

Late 200x Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, or Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape should do you pretty well. No 10+ year-old car is going to be gas-n-go, but those should all do well. They all should get around 25 mpg, as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I forgot to mention in trying to avoid land yachts. I currently drive a 97 ranger, so something with near the same footprint would be awesome.

All three vehicles I mentioned are shorter than a Ranger. Forester and CR-V are about 180", the Tribute is about 175".

The 4Runner mentioned earlier is about 190".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Careful Drums posted:

Last van update - bought the '14 Sienna with 28k miles for 21k at sticker price (at the recommendation of my mechanic, it passed inspection with flying colors). I did get them to come up 1k on my Charger trade-in though. Everyone (wife, kids, MIL, and myself) is really happy with the purchase. Hoping I can get many miles and memories out of this van. Thanks goons for the help!

21k with only 28k miles is a good deal. I hope you like it!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rincewind101 posted:

Heyo AI/AT/thread - I'm in the market for a new sedan or hatchback or something! I got rekt by a fellow and my 2012 Ford Focus SE is now totaled - so I'm looking for something to replace it.

Proposed Budget: ~$20,000 (I'm gonna get $8000 from insurance, I'm pretty sure)
New or Used: New ideally
Body Style: I'm a huge fan of the Ford Focus I had totaled out under me - so a compact size car would be nice. I'm not particular about hatchback/coupe/whatever.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city/highway driving, but I like going camping? So something with a bit of trunk storage would be good.
What aspects are most important to you? Compact size, good gas mileage.

I was looking things up earlier and apparently there are cars now that will parallel park themselves? That honestly seems amazing. Edmunds and autotrader don't have a nice way to search for cars with that, though, sadly.

edit: I haven't thought about car buying in a while - would a Ford dealership still have 2013/2014 Ford Focuses in stock somewhere?

If you want another Ford, it will do fine. Parking assist is available on the Focus if you really need it. I consider it a neat technology with limited actual utility. Ford is about the only manufacturer that offers it in your price range, anyway.

If you are looking for something other than another Ford, you'll need to do some research and narrow the field down a bit. There's a hell of a lot of cars that cost about $20k, get good gas mileage, and are compact. Virtually all manufacturers sell several vehicles in multiple trim levels that fit that description, so there are literally dozens of possibilities.

You may need to spend some time defining exactly what you're after a bit more.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trying to get a bit more info.

Are there any cars or SUV models that are OH DEAR GOD STAY AWAY in the 2003-2010 area? I'm seeing a bunch of options like Muranos and Escapes and to be honest I've never heard of these things.

Again, hoping for a small SUV or car with some leg/trunk room. Just dunno anything about cars to be able to know what I should avoid and what I should go for.

Checking out craigslist at the moment. Batonrouge.craigslist.org if you are curious, and I set my max budget at 7k. (in case someone wants to peek at what the hell I am talking about). Also peeking in at http://www.mmwholesalecars.com/

Thanks for the help, just hoping to get some pointers to make sure I don't come back in and update the thread with my buy and have you go "OH gently caress DUDE WHY DID YOU DO THAT OH JESUS".

For a car that old, the individual car matters more than the manufacturer. Output quality is a bell curve, and even bad manufacturers can make some gems, and vice versa. The real lemons are in the junk yard by that age, so whatever is left is likely to be decent.

The maintenance and repair history of the car would be the most important guide. The newer the better, generally. Maintenance costs increase pretty much linearly with age.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Subaru seems to fit the bill for you. A Crosstrek hybrid, Impreza, or Legacy all get over 30 mpg and come with 4wd.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

German cars out of warranty are generally a nightmare. They have lots of "clever engineering" bits that cost a fortune to fix. Italian cars aren't the best these days, but are considerably better.

If you want a cheap and fun 10-year-old car, get an MX-5.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Man you guys always make me feel like a sucker. Guess I am and it's rightfully deserved. Why is there still a hefty used market for these cars if they are at severe risk of being pieces of crap?

It's a status symbol. People generally don't drive BMWs or Audis because they're awesome economical vehicles. They drive them because they want to be seen driving a BMW or Audi.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DNK posted:

I think you get a lot of poo poo for sometimes little reason, but exactly yes. This is literally the BFC/AI thread about maximizing car value per dollar for <use case>.

Used out-of-warranty audis do not belong here. Priuses, a reasonable vehicle among many, do.

Eh, it's a generic car advice thread. Cheapest to own is not the only criterion that matters. It's about helping people find the right car for themselves. Repair costs are part of that, but only part.

If he enjoys his Audi and can afford the repairs, then more power to him. It's not something I would ever recommend to anyone, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Precious few hatchbacks in the US, unfortunately, so your choices are limited, particularly for $8k.

A VW Golf might work for you. 2012/13 Hyundai Elantra comes in hatchback or wagon.

Not exactly a hatch, but the Nissan Cube tends to rate well. You may be able to find a Subaru Impreza you like.

Most of the stuff later than 2010 and under $8k is tiny. A 2012 or so Focus wouldn't be great, but nothing else is much better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

Pittsburgh must have a truly hosed used market, barely any of the Mazda3's on Craigslist are under $8k are newer than a decade.

Not a big Cube market here, but I found this gem:
Light front end damage

I wouldn't mind a Golf, but I've never messed with a German car. Isn't upkeep a larger expense when compared to American and Japanese (I guess it's Asian now with Hyundai)? I mean the look is classic hatch, and most of the one's I see are >2 liters. I would definitely be a fun drive. Also, is there much difference between the Golf and Rabbit?

Yeah, when I've dipped into the subcombact line of rentals, I've never really liked the Sonics or the like.

VWs are probably better than other German cars. At least they're cheaper to fix. Most people seem like them enough that the repairs don't bother them. The Golf and Rabbit are the same car, just different names, by the way.

Reliability is a tradeoff. VWs are below average in reliability, but that also means they generally depreciate faster and a newer car can be found for the same money. Cars with high reliability reputations are rare and expensive.

Any car you get is going to be out of warranty and will have repair issues.

A Kia Soul is another compact wagon to consider, anyway. A Mazda3 (as was recommended) is always a good option if you can find one. You'll just have to pick the best available, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IMO this thread benefits by a diversity of opinions. It's too easy to fall into robotic group-think.

Inquirers benefit by seeing both the advice and the banter back and forth about it. They learn more and can come to a better decision that way.

Hence, I don't think anyone should be told to get out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Didn't you once make an unsafe recommendation on which axle to put 2 new tires?

Yes, I did. And I was corrected about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

My Altima is at 270k miles. So the debate now is do I pick up another used Altima (I found one at a dealer, no PPI, that is a 2008 with 120k miles on it for about 5k) or keep using my own until she dies? My mom wants me to trade it in, but she's a 1999 Altima whose door locks don't work, the windows don't roll down, etc.

When dealerships do the "at least 4k for your trade, no matter the condition!" what kind of con are they pulling? I mean, going in and announcing you want to trade in your vehicle is the first step of being a dumbass (I learned this watching my stepdad enter a dealership yelling how we needed to trade my car in for something better. I can still see the dollar signs in the salemens' eyes.) but do they just flip the cars or what?

I was looking at getting a car like my work van, but poo poo, this Transit Connect seems to have poo poo die on it all the time. Of course it's a commercial vehicle and runs 200 miles a day.

Dealers generally just sell trade-ins at wholesale auctions. They don't fool with them themselves, usually. They reason they can give you $4000 for anything is because they've got more profit than that built into the deal before you even walk in the door.

Do what you want with your old Altima. It's a matter of when it costs more to fix it than it's worth.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An oddball suggestion to at least consider: Kia K900.

It's not a driver's car by any means, but may be the sort of sofa-on-wheels she'd like. Kia is making good quality cars these days, so it ought to be good on maintenance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

Wow, I'm really interested in (good) CVT's now. No shifting? :aaa:

My little car search is still moving along, but now I'm confused over the literal process of buying a car. I don't own a car and, thus, don't have insurance. When I talked with an agent to get a quote, they said that I'd need a VIN and all that. But I can't even regester the title in my name without insurance, much less drive it. So what is the order of operations here? Is it something like:

Find good car.
Ask for good car to be held and get VIN.
Get insurance.
Go back, pay, and do all the titling nonsense.
Yes, that's essentially it.

You make a deal on the car. Sometimes involves a down payment, usually just a handshake.

You get the VIN, take it to bank/credit union/wherever and arrange for the loan. Shop around, sometimes dealers will offer very low rates as part of their incentives.

You call your insurance agent, making the insurance effective on the day you plan to close the deal and make payment arrangements. Insurance usually grants you a short grace period (a couple days) of coverage before the first payment gets there

You go back to the dealer with check from lender, close the deal and drive away in your new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My wife commutes daily in her Odyssey and is fine with it. Gets upper 20s MPG so it's not expensive.

I don't like driving it just because it's big. As big vehicles go, it's pretty good.