Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Speaking of TLs im debating between an 04-08 TL vs 05-13 Lexus IS350 (not 250). The interior and engine (plus ~60hp with no mpg loss) seem superior in the Lexus but the body style is mediocre at best while I really like the clean lines in the TL.

TLs tend to be about 2k+ less than IS and seen more frequently....thoughts between the two?

I want a sporty/comfortable car, am comfortable going up to 20k, reliability/cost of ownership is big though.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Also do you guys have opinions either way on buying from carmax?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Aware. Back seat is storage space for me, rarely have 3+

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I would not recommend a new civic with what is basically a full re-design, it'll take time to make them reliable. Never buy a newly minted model on its birthyear.
A 2013-2015 civic used will be in the 13-17 range depending on options and mileage.. I'd recommend that.

Also AI will tell you to buy a Prius..
Toyota also a good option

There's a substantive difference in the redesigned Civic - your point might have validity, there's already a small recall on the 2L engine models - but if you're going to buy a Civic, buy the new one.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Blind spot detection yeah but lane drift and collision detection is freaking awesome. I really can't wait until we remove people from control of their vehicles and these are nice introductory features.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

powderific posted:

I've had great experiences selling cars to CarMax but have never and probably will never buy anything from them as their prices always seem way high.

It varies by car but in CA's nuts used car market they are surprisingly reasonable. Especially considering at the end of the day, they are still a dealership.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Tell me about this nuts used car market.

Being the land of optimism every used car gets listed at 'perfect condition' prices whether or not the floorboards are intact.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

powderific posted:

^^^^ This ^^^^ Who cares about a no haggle policy when it's pricy enough that you could just go to the places where you do haggle, not haggle, and come out ahead?

The answer is 'because dealerships'.

Actually speaking of dealerships has anyone done the Costco auto buying thing? How'd that work out

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Chu020 posted:

Proposed Budget: $20-25k
New or Used: No preference
Body Style: Would prefer station wagon, but since the US is crazy and hates them, probably have to consider crossovers.
How will you be using the car?: General commute 10-12 miles, picking up kids, infrequent 4-6 hr road trips. Need to be able to pack a lot (likely two car seats in back, potentially small (15 lbs) dog, luggage for family + pack and play and misc stuff for infants/toddlers. Would prefer at least integrated bluetooth phone connectivity. Also live in the snow belt, so reasonable all weather performance since I need to be able to get to work regardless of road conditions. Will have to be an automatic, couldn't get my wife to learn to drive stick.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, fun to drive.

I currently have an '02 Acura RSX type S. I had been planning on driving this thing into the ground, but the realities of having a family are making this unlikely. Wife has an '07 Jetta sedan, recently took a trip with her and infant and barely had enough space for everything with the 3 of us. With plans for a 2nd kid in the near future, my car's probably going to be replaced in the next year or two for something more cargo and family-centric. In general, I hate big cars and SUVs, but for our needs, I don't think a hatchback will cut it unfortunately cargo space-wise. I'd still like to find something that's actually enjoyable to drive on a day to day basis and could handle more aggressive driving if the occasion arose.

Had assumed a station wagon would be a good option (parents had a Volvo 850 turbo that I have fond memories of driving), but it seems like those are hard to come by in the US, and crossovers seems to have replaced the segment.

Acura makes a TSX station wagon thats kinda ballin. Mid20s mpg, slightly sporty engine and great handling / ride. fairly rare. I'd like one but dont need the space

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

"Chevrolet" is my guess.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Am i totally wrong about hyundai? In the 90s and early 2000s it was a lovely budget car. Mid 2000s they got their poo poo together and were building genuine competitive-with-japan sedans at a slightly lower price and a great warranty.

Now it seems like its a strictly value brand again, to be avoided.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I'm 6' and fit comfortably in a 2013 accord.
My 2013 sips gas:
I filled up for about $25 and drove home from vacation (180 miles) then commuted about 20 miles round trip for 4 days, and ran errands, and then my gas light went on.
I average about 21-26 mixed driving and about 35 highway.

Edit: at a comfortable seeing position my seat goes back probably 4 more inches if I wanted it to.

I4 or V6? Been considering an accord for a minute

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Phone posted:

That's the car nerd explanation. It's less of "X is superior" and more of "X has less things going against it"; also, just because there's a different skill set doesn't mean that one is superior or inferior to the other, it's just different.

Really enjoyed this post thanks, nice break from PRIUS PRIUS PRIUS

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I mean its not exactly fair, but the Genesis coupe is driven by the same/similar cohort that drives 350Zs: douchebags

I also dont believe its fast enough if hes already discounted Lexus

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

If you add the doc fee into the total does it feel like youre still getting a good deal? Thats the only question that matters.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Then pretend its part of the sale price and move on.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I've been in a prius c a few times and thought it was fine. What's the beef about

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

4 normal-sized adults fit comfortably, no one buys a prius for the drag times and i imagine its markedly better to drive in the city due to its smaller footprint. The 'trunk' space is pretty small though.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

So here's my ideal car:
Under 30k, used/new.
Hugely reliable.
Mid-sized car.
Decent accoutrements, cant be barebones but dont need rear end massager seats
Punchy engine, no screamer but nothing i have to constantly downshift to get some go.
At least 30mpg combined.

There are cars that check some boxes (new civic hatch is my current target but worried its 170hp turbo isnt strong enough) but afaik none that check all.

Wish Acura still made decent cars. I still want a mid-2000s TL but those i can find are way too high milage or salvage.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Civic is a mid size car now?

Its larger than its been, on the small side of midsize. Im pretty fluid as far as that goes, just no tiny econoboxes and no VW GTIs.

nm posted:

Also remember that turbo motors that get decent EPA miles, tend to not get decent FE in the real world unless you drive like a major grandma. Also note that they get that FE with tall gearing, which keeps you in low RPMS, which means out of the boost, which means that even my 300hp car needs to be downshifted to get some oomph (unless I'm going pretty fast) despite being geared quite a bit lower than many cars.

Also, what is punchy to you? I've had people complain I'm accelerating too fast in my 100hp/98ft lb mazda. Most people don't actually floor cars, so they buy a 300hp car and never use my than 100hp because they both don't press the pedal more than a mm and never get above 300RPM.

Punchy is slightly slower than my f4i ;)
Thats interesting about turbos cutting FE depending on use. Honda claims new civic gets 32 combined iirc.

So far id like to test drive the new civic hatch, a mazda 3, and a focus...yeah im lukewarm-hatchin it baby

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Not to ignite a really dumb AI firestorm but stick in California traffic is a nightmare. Did it for two years and will never ever do again.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are the thoughts on the 2017 Civics? I had mentioned them previously, but I'm concerned about the issues people were having with the 2016 models. have those problems been ironed out at this point?

They have not. I was really keen on the hatchback model but am leaning more toward a Mazda 3.

No loving volume knob is so preposterous

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I actually wouldnt entirely discount the civic, just be aware its not flawless. Consumer reports rates Mazda 3s reliability as above average for whatever thats worth....they say audi are above average too which is like what?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Tenacious J posted:

For what's it's worth, I decided against the Mazda 3 because it has horrible visibility out the entire passenger side of the car when you're driving, including forward.

Can you explain more please? Im trying to figure this out

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

To be fair that like what, $25k Usa fun bucks?

In other news the Genesis G90 is a hell of a car for the money, and they are throwing like $10k cash on a lease since they can't figure out residuals or whatever reason.

Those are great cars but they are huge, heavy, and thirsty as hell.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Its because the Leaf is not a good car and the 'thrill' of an EV wears off super fast. There's a reason Tesla started with a luxury car.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Picked up a 17 Mazda 3 GT hatch. Compared to civic hatch. Cloth interior on civic is loving garbage and leather is merely ok. Cabin felt more spacious than the Mazda and feels larger, but the Mazda has an extremely nice interior (dumb hologram HUD notwithstanding).

Honda has not fixed the essential problem with CVTs despite being hailed as one of the best CVTs on the market. After the rubberband effect the turbo does push the car well and it handles extremely nimbly - but so does the 3. Sport mode on the 3 floored me.

The final cost for the 3 was around 2.5k less than the civic and came with nav. Honda salespeople at 2 dealerships were fairly rude and unhelpful, and it seems like Honda is not interested in moving on price.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

The first Mazda dealer offered 27.5 otd. 2nd, through Costco pricing, was 26.3 + a $300 acquisition fee (pretty sure they were going to get the car i wanted at the first dealership). Called first dealer, they agreed to match 26.3. This is for the 2.5 GT in dark grey, with nav.

Im in California.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Personally, I wouldn't get the 2.0...I just don't see the point in it. It's noticeably weaker than the 2.5 for not a big enough gas mileage savings (IMO). Though I will say that the 2.0 is near the top of the heap for acceleration compared to it's competitors base-level engines.

I drove 5 (IIRC) 2016 Mazda 3's while looking around and I can't say I ever noticed above-average road noise. Though some quick googlin' leads me to believe that some people have noticed it.

I will say this after test driving like a bajillion vehicles: The Mazda 3 has the highest quality interior of of any vehicle out there less than say $30k. It's pretty loving great.

We eventually decided to wait 6-12 months and save up some more cash and get a CX-9 or a competitor. I will definitely be looking to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 for myself if they ever get off their rear end and sell one.

Mazda has put Speed line on hold until like 2020. Too bad. The CX-9 is really nice but pretty large.

The cabin noise isn't bad but its not silent. The ride with the 18" wheels is fair, perhaps firm, but not bad. I 'borrowed' a Lexus IS350 from Carmax for 4 days and that was an absolute nightmare of road feel.

A GTI probably has an equal-or-better ride, quieter cabin, faster engine, but it's a higher price point and from looking around, an awful reliability record.

The 2.5 isn't the fastest car, but I don't really need it to be. 0-60 feels fast, stomping on the pedal pulls nicely, strong enough to break contact with the (mediocre dunlop) front tires. A manual or perhaps paddle shifters would be a blast. I have a relatively sedate commute, I wanted something with some punch and the 2.5 has enough for that. I didn't drive the smaller engines to compare but I'm pretty sure I would have been dissatisfied.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hay guyz, when purchasing a new ride how much do you normally pay for vin etching? Does $695 sound reasonable?

Some dealers must think i am really loving stupid

Holy gently caress that is insulting.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Basically every car in America has an open recall due to the Takata airbag recall. Not really relevant

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mazda 3 is what checks the most boxes. I have a '17 GT and enjoy everything about it except for its slightly bumpy ride but it's a trade-off

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Shoulda got a prius

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fwiw when I was recently shopping Honda flat out wouldn't negotiate on price, I imagine Toyota can do the same. High demand for their products gives them a pretty secure foundation. Costco auto program pricing is pretty aggressive, if you're a member.

I was pretty surprised to be honest. The new civic had a really awful interior, and a too-high MSRP.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

AriTheDog posted:

The Costco savings are poo poo. Just e-mail dealerships asking for their best out the door price given the trim and other details you want. You will save money over any Costco/Truecar/etc. CRV is a solid choice.

The Costco price for my Mazda3 was by far the best price I was able to get out of a half-dozen dealerships.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

It's like $100 above invoice. TrueCar is like $100 under MSRP (or, as in the case with the Civic hatchback I was pricing, MSRP).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

AriTheDog posted:

My parents had this exact experience with Costco pricing. Dealer did the switcheroo. The fine print apparently doesn't forbid them from doing this. Either that, or they don't care.

So costco pricing doesn't include things like taxes and dealer fees afaik, nor does it include things like manufacturer incentives etc. But if a dealership played a game with a Costco customer, your parents should really contact costco about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mazda would be killing it if they could just get their brand into people's consciousness. Their lame commercials with a sleepy Aaron Paul don't exactly inspire