Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Since you guys are all insurance gurus I'd figure I'd post the question here. So I got a car 1 month ago paid in full (:smug:) 2007 accord exl

Great car but that's beside the point. See last weekend it was hit by a drunk driver. I was lucky enough to have gotten his license plate #, filed a report and they found the guy...

He has no insurance :(. So I called my insurance company and I have a $500 deductible. The cost of repairs is $424 and the guy said since it's under $500 the insurance company isn't going to help you go after the guy so there's no point in filing a claim. Is this true? Also what is my next course of action? The car is scheduled to be fixed March 8th. Once that is done I am thinking I am supposed to be going to obtain a copy of the police report and go to the court house and file a judgement against this guy. Once he loses and he doesn't pay then I garnish his wages. Total time for him to pay this back I'd imagine would be like a year.

Am I right in this? Am I doing something wrong? First time I've ever had an accident so I don't know what to do :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
no he has a job the cops gave me his name, birth date, address and place of work

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That's how I feel but not in a gently caress YA GOON JUSTICE! deal. I'm more pissed off that I got the car and less than a month into owning it some dickwad hit me and I want him to realize you don't hit flyboi's car.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

LorneReams posted:

I just want to add that some insurance companies, and some states have waiver of deductibles in limited circumstances. In MA, drunk driver or hit from behind are two of the most commonly used reasons. The may just waive it and pay the damage.

Unfortunately insurance won't pay a dime of it :( I've tried everything with them

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Proposed Budget: 40-50k
New or Used: whichever
Body Style: sedan
How will you be using the car?: casual driving - 50 milesish a week
What aspects are most important to you? warranty, nice ride, good handling

I currently have an 07 Accord EX-L and while it's an ok car the transmission is starting to slip and I'm looking at 3-5k to fix this. Rather than doing this as it will wipe out any equity left in the car I'd rather get a dependable car with a warranty to back this car. Looking around I found Audi, BMW and Cadillac have decent warranties when purchased new as I will not hit 50k in the 4-5 years of purchasing.

That said, I started looking used and saw that I can get a used 2011 CTS for ~30k fully loaded and it appears Cadillac has a 100k bumper to bumper warranty on all used that starts 2 years after the manufacturers warranty expires and goes for 4 years. This means with a 2011 and a 5 year warranty I could have full coverage for the duration of the car loan which is very enticing to me. My Honda was covered for like 5 months after purchasing and have spent a couple grand in fixing it already when it was only 3 years old at purchase.

On top of this, my partner has ~3-5k in GM dollars due to a past purchase years back and if I am understanding my googling right he can add me on the card which gives me the ability to use these. All said and done it would be around 12k after trade-in cost for a CTS so this seems most viable.

Are Cadillacs still "domestic trash" in that it will fall apart before I'm even done with my loan or have they shaped up better? I could go with a used 3 or 5 series BMW and with the 3 series only pay an extra 5-7k, 15-17k on the 5 series but I'm just not sure if I should bother considering that considering all the savings I'd get with Cadillac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Grumpwagon posted:

No. At least not around me. Try going to edmunds.com and appraising your car. I saw dealer retail for $7500 (and that's before negotiation). Having said that, I am in a cheaper car area, and I didn't include any options.

Enter it in there and see what they say. I think you're going to find it's overpriced though.

Speaking of appraisal, my car has a hole in the front bumper requiring the entire deal to get replaced as the foam behind it collapsed. The cost to repair is $740 and my car is valued at ~8500 trade in as "average" and 10094 at "great. Would it be in my best interest to pay to have the body work done or just straight up trade it in?