Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Proposed Budget: 7-10k
New or Used: Used. Def
Body Style: Small/Medium Truck
How will you be using the car?: I don't need a ~*manly*~ pickup truck. I'm more thinking of hauling a 1-4 bicycles plus light cargo. No towing or anything I just need a sedan alternative but I've always driven late 80s/early 90s tiny Asian econoboxes so I'm out of my element
What aspects are most important to you? Definitely reliability and maneuverability are top. I live in metro Boston and while there's plenty of room for fuckoff huge cars I don't like driving a giant tank. I also have always driven manual so that's also important. Fuel economy I figure is out the window but idgaf about v8's or any of that garbage since I'm not really going to haul anything important.

Preliminary research says 10 year old Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger because everything else is loving HUGE but it seems like trucks are all high milage. I kind of like the T-1000 but everything in Boston is like >200k mi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

what I really want is a hilux or kei truck but obviously that ain't happening

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

My dad had a RAV4, my mom a subaru outback, and I don't like SUVs. I actually hate the idea of big cars but its hard to haul more than two on a strap on bike rack

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Blitter posted:

Seconding this; Thule sells a hitch mount that I put six bikes (~18K of bikes on it!) on with no hesitation; it also pivoted down so hatches/trunks/rear doors were still useful.

Unless you actually need one, get a suitable car with a decent hitch and avoid the insane premium and crap fuel economy of decent small trucks.

Thank you for the recommendation but that's not really what I'm looking for.

My research seems to indicate nobody makes a decent mid sized truck anymore so it looks like im definitely going usec

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

nm posted:

I'd buy a used legacy wagon. I can get four bikes on the roof (tight) with room for a 5th in the hatch.
That said: if it is your only vehicle, get a taco because it is a nicer place to be. If it is a second vehicle or you use public transit or bikes when not hauling, get a ranger/mazda b2000 for maximum cheapness.
There were also nissan compact trucks but I dunno much about them.

Yeah I'm an all seasons cyclist with no car currently and this is would be a weekly driver like "I want to play in the woods" and "I want to be able to go more than 8mph hauling a weeks worth of groceries home" kind of ride. I don't need anything fancy but I do want something fun. I've previously always driven sedans and hatches so I want something different.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'll check out the other ones the other guy mentioned but are tacos a safe bet? That's what my research is telling me. Rust issue was on the generation ending in 2005, yeah? It definitely seems like I'm going to need to fly south of the mason Dixon to get a used taco that hasn't had to deal with New England winters

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im shopping for a used tacoma as my first car in 10 years which has been both exciting and exhausting. i found a promising 08 with like 140k miles at a place around here but when i took it for a test drive and to a different mechanic to check out the frame had some trash welding on the frame but was otherwise in great condition. i drove it back to the dealer and told them about it and he said he’d send it out to his guy since the frame was covered under that big recall and id hear back sometime this week.

im pretty prepared to walk if it comes back still looking lovely, but am i misguided in thinking that in 2023 frame welding technology has progressed enough for a truck thats never going to tow or do any really serious poo poo? i do the majority of my stuff by bike so this is an occasional driver at best and is mostly for taking my and 3-10 of my closest friends bikes somewhere fun to ride bikes. the car was just bought by the dealer a week ago so like i highly doubt they did the garbage work since it looked weathered.

or should i just full rear end walk away for any sort of frame damage? im not in a rush to buy, but it would be nice to be fuckin done with it

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

15k lmao. im absolutely gonna walk but im so morbidly curious as to what they think will be the appropriate fix here. just gonna keep fishing for the right one.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah im kinda resigning myself to waiting for the right tacoma. im looking to spend 15k but id do 18 for the right one. im in boston so everything in that range is gen 2 and beat down, which im happy about. like i said its not gonna be a daily driver or a heavy hauler so much as a big bike transport. partner said absolutely not to a van and tacos are the smallest readily available trucks here.

dont get it twisted i like all the good 90s tiny trucks but this is boston those all rusted out 20 years ago. im also trying to avoid full land barge status because i live in a dense rear end city and its gonna suck rear end to park on non bike missions. im bummed i cant get a bench seat taco though. i sat in one last week with partner and dog and it was just a little too cramped so ive resigned myself to the slightly bigger model with the lovely jump seats which are perfect for dog.

but at the end of the day my two objectives are a) reliable and b) will fit a frankly obscene amount of bicycles. like i think my high score in a 6 foot bed so far is 13 bicycles. and since its not an urgent need im happy to keep fishing for the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao got to see the “frame work” today and holy poo poo lmao. they poopy welded a bunch of L strips onto poo poo and it was all i could do to not laugh as soon as they put it up on the lift. anyways they gave our deposit back without a fuss and i guess i got 5 more to look at this weekend.

lmao this weld tho