Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Michaelos posted:

That's because people rarely post a thread that goes like this:

"Hey Guys. I just got another big raise at work and I've been married to my Wife, a nerdy trust fund girl who doesn't have expensive tastes, for a year. Her trust fund is 1.6m dollars and we're buying a 400,000 dollar house, but her Dad wants her to buy a 450,000 dollar house which has hardwood floors and other rich person shiny poo poo that we don't really care about. We're currently making 116k a year before taxes, of which 52k is from her trust, so it's available even if I lose my job. We have no kids and are using 2 types of contraceptives even though we rarely have sex. I think the extra 50k cost is overboard, particularly since my Wife is unemployed and only gets money from her trust. Any advice?"

For what it's worth, people on the SA forums come from all walks of life and not everyone is some hybrid of Zaurg and CH. A lot of us are financially sound and don't have sob stories to post but do browse these forums to get a better understanding of things that we don't know very much about - like cars, for example, or stocks - as well as to give advice on things we do have a grip on.

It's helpful to say "Don't buy a new car because X, Y, Z" like CH did in the OP. It's not very helpful to just post "Don't ever buy a new car" without giving the reasons why - whether it's simply due to the fact that many people can't afford it, due to the depreciation of the car, or some other reason. If he meant people shouldn't go into debt over a vehicle, then he should say that specifically (there are plenty of used cars people can't afford as well) and explain WHY it's a dumb idea. That kind of stuff makes this thread useful for readers, blanket statements with no explanations really don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Michaelos posted:

For instance, technically the question "Okay, I want a Bugatti Veyron, but I want to be financially savvy about it. How much do I need in assets and income to make owning one be reasonable?" would fit this thread, but not a lot of people ask that question on the internet.

Sure, there are also less extreme examples. I am currently reading this thread because I know I will need a new car eventually and when I do, I want to know something about it. I'm 28 and still using my first car from high school (which was used to begin with and which I've had a billion problems with since I first got it though it keeps on surviving) so I don't have any real experience with car shopping. I wouldn't normally post a thread about myself and my situation specifically, I would just browse, read what people have to say and learn from here, along with reading other sites. I have about $27k earmarked in a car fund right now and should have $28k to spend when the car finally dies thanks to interest. I can obviously afford to buy a new car without any car payments, I'm a little risk adverse due to how many problems I had with my current car right from the start, but since I'm not a car enthusiast, my leanings would still be towards a used car and saving the money for something else.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have saved up about $15k and are thinking new Civic vs. used car. It's just more helpful if things aren't dumbed down as though all readers are poo poo poor, and actual real advice with reasons are given (which it has been for the most part).

CH's OP is great, but obviously, additional opinions are great. Personally, I would love to see more people talk about which cars they think are the best value, which cars people have really good experiences with, which cars suck, and so on.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

CornHolio posted:

If this isn't something you're interested in, yeah you'll get your standard Corolla/Camry/Accord/Civic replies.

I'm a girl with no propensity or interest in fixing cars so I'm honestly probably not down for that. I'm just sort of curious, with something like $27 - $28k saved up, is it better to get something like a new Camry, get a used Camry and save the rest of the money or would it be at all worth it to move up a level and get a used vehicle that is a bit above the standard Camry/Accord? And if so, is there a general consensus on that next tier of reliable cars?

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

This shouldn't necessarily be coupled with not wanting to learn and know more about cars. Your car is in the shop and the mechanic says your exhaust is shot and you need a complete new one welded in -- would you know if you're getting taken?

I typically bring my boyfriend with me when it comes to repairs as he has a slightly better grasp on cars and looks a bit more intimidating. But no, I wouldn't.

Kimbo posted:

There's 2 independent factors here:
- do you want / need to spend most of that money on a car? If not, it's pointless to minimax what you can get for your full budget.
- what do you rank as your priorities in a car?

I don't NEED to spend that much on a car, it's just what I have. I put away about $24k awhile ago, stopped contributing and that amount has grown to $27k since then. As far as what I care about - I mainly want a car that's reliable, will last, gets decent gas mileage and hopefully has cheap-ish repairs. I have preferences but they're not that important - rounded over boxy, leather over fabric, trunk space over no trunk space, smaller rather than larger... People just always seem to have the same answers in regards to cars as when it comes to the Honda/Toyota, I was just curious if there were similar "typical" BFC answers that go a step above those.

KarmaCandy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 22, 2009

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Acura/Lexus. As argued above, they are literally a Honda/Toyota with nicer stuff, mechanically they're just as reliable. The top trim of an Accord or Camry/Avalon these days can be very luxurious. Personally I would look for either a CPO Acura TSX, which is literally rebadged European Accord (they like their family sedans smaller) or a BMW 3 series...

This is a reassuring answer. What I have is a VW that was gifted to me when my older stepsister went off to college and it's been nothing but a pain in the rear end. Hard to complain about a free car but I'm pretty sure if I added up all the repairs, I'd probably have paid for it and then some.

I'm not sure I care enough about cars to go the extra mile to a more luxury car but it's nice to know what to look at/what to avoid since I'm still just browsing.