Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really miss the original artist. His zombies were just a lot more zombie-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It'll probably turn out similar to the Priest; He should've cared for his flock but he locked himself away in a church. Leaving them to die outside.

The government should've cared for the people but they will have locked themselves away in bunkers. Leaving the people to fend for themselves.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I really miss the original artist. His zombies were just a lot more zombie-like.

Tony Moore was a much better artist, and the change really bothered me when I hit the second TPB, but I've gotten used to it now.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

I've only recently discovered this (yeah, I'm late), and I've been catching up with the collected editions. I've finished Volume 10, and Volume 11 (which I guess covers the last story arc before the current issue) doesn't come out until the end of December. I saw that the latest issue is just after where Volume 11 stops. Will I miss too much significant stuff from the last story arc if I just get the latest issue and start from there and then get Volume 11 when it comes out?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Gassire posted:

I doubt it, he said the prison arc was a mistake because it felt too safe.

The issues after they get to the prison and before they run into the Governor were the most tedious to me so far in the series. I've finally caught back up on the series now and the newer issues are loads better then the mid-prison part.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BleakLewis posted:

The issues after they get to the prison and before they run into the Governor were the most tedious to me so far in the series. I've finally caught back up on the series now and the newer issues are loads better then the mid-prison part.

I kinda liked that part. I know it was slow or whatever, but it hearkened back to Dawn of the Dead.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Guy Compton posted:

I've only recently discovered this (yeah, I'm late), and I've been catching up with the collected editions. I've finished Volume 10, and Volume 11 (which I guess covers the last story arc before the current issue) doesn't come out until the end of December. I saw that the latest issue is just after where Volume 11 stops. Will I miss too much significant stuff from the last story arc if I just get the latest issue and start from there and then get Volume 11 when it comes out?

I really wouldn't recommend it. A lot of poo poo went down in the last 6 issues or so.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Someone sell me their Walking Dead Omnibus v1 because I'm too lovely at Ebay to get one :(

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope not, I'm looking forward to some old fashioned hiding in the ruins.

I think they're going for the re-integration bit. Bill Maher is way to clean and happy to have been surviving in the wilds. After Carls talk at the beginning of the issue, I'm glad to see that he's hasn't gone crazy (yet.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Thee suspense of waiting to see the next issues in TPB is getting to me. I left off on the whole hunter thing. I wanna see what happens with the sciency mcmullet guy.

You know I really think the whole "Glenn is practically deathproof" sentiment is gonna get him killed, or at least make him lose everything. In a story about the inhumanity of humans, a stand-up guy like Glenn just can't survive, and if he somehow does he can't be as happy as he is. Either Glenn is gonna die or Maggie and Sophia are. :smith:

Also, did most of you really have a problem with the prison stuff? I think the comic needs "lulls" like that, where it looks like most things are working out OK. For one, it builds tension, since you know it can't last, and it gives room for more social stuff to fall apart. I mean a lot happened while they were "just sitting around in the prison" in relationships.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The prison stuff reads really well in trades, but it's a little trickier in single issues where there isn't a ton of dramatic action happening issue from issue.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 27, 2009

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
It was a great series, and I ended up leaving off after they met abraham and the mullet scientist. I'm really glad it started getting more interesting, because during the prison arc I started flipping through pages out of boredom.'

Hey guys lets farm some crops! Vegetables! Yay!

:froggonk:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Coolness Averted posted:

Also, did most of you really have a problem with the prison stuff?

I've never understood the hate for the prison arc, either. It allowed the story to take on a different pace for a while and led to some of the biggest "OH poo poo!" moments I've ever had when reading a comic.

Maybe it's because I'm a country boy who has a garden out back (one of the first things I planned when we bought our place last year), but I like seeing them at least briefly have a moment to do some smart things like plant a garden and such.

Also being from an area where a house without a gun is about as common as a house without a TV and I'm the odd man out because I don't go deer hunting, I like seeing them be somewhat intelligent when it comes to surviving in a world full of zombies once in a while. Constantly seeing people do stupid poo poo your average redneck is smart enough not to do gets old. Every so often you're going to find a good place to set up base for a while and you need to take full advantage of it. This means creating fortifications of course, but it also means making sure you can eat.

Then again, I'm also not the guy who would go investigate that strange sound all alone without telling anyone where I was going and wouldn't touch a ouija board if I thought someone in the house was possessed by a demon, so I'm all about the not-completely-braindead protagonist in a horror-movie-like situation.

Besides, if I recall correctly there was some sick bastard cutting off little girls' heads and a guy getting his nuts nailed to a board at about that time so the criticism about there not being enough "action" at that point in the story just doesn't hold a lot of water to me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Geekboy posted:

Besides, if I recall correctly there was some sick bastard cutting off little girls' heads and a guy getting his nuts nailed to a board at about that time so the criticism about there not being enough "action" at that point in the story just doesn't hold a lot of water to me.

Yes, more characters died during the prison arc (even if you don't count the finale) than before it. Not to mention just how many relationships and characters changed. It really signals Rick's first steps into the ends justifying the means and his morality falling apart.
I had hoped the Governor stuff would've shocked him into realizing he had to change to avoid becoming a monster, but that didn't quite work out.
Now I'm hoping the same thing about what happened with Dale/seeing Carl's changes, shocks Rick into trying to stay a good person. Heck maybe Lori'll talk some sense into him.

I think Timeless's comments about the trade is probably what did it though. Having voraciously read through the trades, occasionally telling myself "Just one more issue" it would be torture to see one of those cliffhangers and just have to wait a month. Heck, it still kinda is waiting for the next trade.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
It pretty much was the monthly bump and grind. Like anyone who's read the trades and caught up can tell you, dealing with the trades leaves you with massive blue balls. The prison arc was just really really long in our time in terms of the release of the book, is all.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I read the monthlies and ate up the prison arc. I just plain liked it.

I'm glad it's over, of course. Change is a constant in this series and it needs to stay that way. I thought the prison arc was a good one and I think the move away from it was a good change as well.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know several people who hated the prison stuff by saying "I thought this was a zombie comic" without realizing that this is actually a character comic with zombies as it's setting.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

The gaping flaw in that logic is that the best zombie movies are the ones where you actually care for the characters on some level. Compare Dawn of the Dead (either one, really) and Zombi 2. To get the most enjoyment out of Dawn of the Dead you need to watch the whole thing and care about the characters. To get the most enjoyment out of Zombi 2 you hop on youtube and watch the zombie fight the shark the the best throat bite ever.

Hell. That's any story, really.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I just tore through 1-67 overnight, and... gently caress. I have never felt so bad for a group of characters in my whole literary life.

Every couple of issues I would end up saying out loud "gently caress, just leave them alone!" It's so brutal to watch people get poo poo on so frequently and thoroughly.

That said, I can't stop reading. It's a pretty brilliant book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, I found the prison arc the most interesting, but I find watching post-apocalyptic characters trying to rebuild significantly more interesting then watching them simply trying to survive.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Reading the wiki trying to remember who everyone is, is kinda sad. Cause drat a lot of people have died in this series.

Davincie fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 29, 2009

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Startling revelation in the recent issue Bill Maher is a gay

Lion
Dec 17, 2009

apekillape posted:

I just tore through 1-67 overnight, and... gently caress. I have never felt so bad for a group of characters in my whole literary life.

Every couple of issues I would end up saying out loud "gently caress, just leave them alone!" It's so brutal to watch people get poo poo on so frequently and thoroughly.

That said, I can't stop reading. It's a pretty brilliant book.

I had the same experience. I read all the issues so far within a 48-hour timespan. Loving the series so far, but the constant going from bad to worse can really wear on you after a while. However, it's refreshing when you're coming from years of reading superhero books where none of the heroes are really ever at risk.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Lion posted:

I had the same experience. I read all the issues so far within a 48-hour timespan. Loving the series so far, but the constant going from bad to worse can really wear on you after a while. However, it's refreshing when you're coming from years of reading superhero books where none of the heroes are really ever at risk.

You should read GantZ.

Correction: EVERYONE should read GantZ.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

apekillape posted:

You should read GantZ.

Correction: EVERYONE should read GantZ.

Actually, you should not read Gantz.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
It depends, do you ever sit there watching Saw and say to yourself, "Self, this is awesome and all, but it needs more bombass titties and monsters"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
On the issue of Walking Dead, I'm pretty sure that the gay couple is on the level and the gang is going to gently caress themselves out of being let into the community. If not that then I hope they're not overtly evil rapist cannibals.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Timeless Appeal posted:

On the issue of Walking Dead, I'm pretty sure that the gay couple is on the level and the gang is going to gently caress themselves out of being let into the community. If not that then I hope they're not overtly evil rapist cannibals.

EVERY GROUP IS EVIL BUT RICK'S GROUP.

That seems to have been the status quo so far, maybe Kirkman is gonna change it up. It would nice to explore the group coming to the realization that, hey, poo poo, maybe we were the bad guys this time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Timeless Appeal posted:

Sounds like they're inviting Rick and the gang to the compound of a cult.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

strangefool posted:

It would nice to explore the group coming to the realization that, hey, poo poo, maybe we were the bad guys this time.

That's where I think it's going. Maybe Rick's kid accidentally lets slip how he killed another kid. Or the science teacher scumbag tells how they tortured a group of cannibals to death recently.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

strangefool posted:

EVERY GROUP IS EVIL BUT RICK'S GROUP.

That seems to have been the status quo so far, maybe Kirkman is gonna change it up. It would nice to explore the group coming to the realization that, hey, poo poo, maybe we were the bad guys this time.

Honestly, I think Rick needs to be poo poo on some more. And eventually killed. If you're going to have no sacred cows, have no sacred cows.

The Cookie Monster
Dec 30, 2008

That's good enough for me!
Cannot WAIT for volume 11. I need it now!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Honestly, I think Rick needs to be poo poo on some more. And eventually killed. If you're going to have no sacred cows, have no sacred cows.

I hardly think Rick's been untouchable, and there certainly shouldn't be the idea that he is. I just think it'll be a little hard to kill him off without ending the story and starting a spin off.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Coolness Averted posted:

I hardly think Rick's been untouchable, and there certainly shouldn't be the idea that he is. I just think it'll be a little hard to kill him off without ending the story and starting a spin off.

I think there are a few strong-enough contenders in the cast (basically just Michonne, and Abe, maybe Andrea) that have enough gumption that if Rick does get killed off, the book would still have enough steam to keep going. That and, it would be an interesting premise, to see how the group deals with the loss of 'leader-type' support that they've gotten so used to.

Then again, thinking back to the 'no one is safe' teasers from the end of the prison storyline, you could clearly tell that it was really 'No one is safe (except Rick, of course!)'

The more minor characters would need to be built up a bit more for a Rick-removal to work. Too many of them are flat-yet-likeable, like Morgan 'My son died and I'm kah-razy with grief, but don't expect me to pop up in more than two panels an issue!'

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

There was a moment or two after the end of the Prison arc where I thought Carl would become the main character, what with Rick slowly jumping off the deep end and all. A story about a kid who's been through so much poo poo having to fend for himself would have been pretty interesting, though, if I remember right, an issue or two into the very brief "Lone Rick and Cub" thing, Carl pretty much proved that he'd be hosed if he ever had to face a legitimate threat alone, meaning a solo Carl series would end relatively quickly without the constant use of Deus ex Machina or having him regroup with the other survivors.

Aside from Carl though, I don't think any of the other side characters would be able to hold the group, let alone the series, together for long. Aside from the aforementioned Michonne, Abe, and Andrea, the rest of the characters in the group are ancillary at best, with an occasional side story giving them something to do. And even with them replacing Rick, I don't think it would work out for too long: Michonne's still far too mysterious, and while a side story explaining her origins or whatever would be awesome, I don't think a series following her mowing through zombies and cult leaders would be a good direction for the series (a solo series, perhaps, but not TWD main book). Same goes for Abe.

The only post-Rick thing that I think would be interesting would be a time jump, with a few of the crew picked off and a slightly older Carl (like mid teens, not full adult) trying to hold everyone together and encountering the same issues as his dad, but taking a more experienced approach to things. Maybe even make him much more morally ambiguous than Rick ever was (for bonus points, have Rick come back somehow, like out of a coma or something stupid like that, and have to deal with what his son has become).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

To be fair Rick may be safe from death right now but he's totally been poo poo on quite a bit. Hes got a dead wife, newborn and is missing an arm. On top of that he talks to said dead wife over a disconnected phone. Hell his son even is starting to get broken by the situation seeing as he killed another kid when the adults were still trying to figure out what to do about it. His life is definitely going down the drain. I would say he's got a higher chance of suicide or just going crazy than getting killed by a zombie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Am I the only one here that want's Carl to be eaten?

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

No. We meet every Thursday to discuss how that little poo poo should die a horrible death. Bring coffee.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande

Drunkboxer posted:

I'll bite. Why do you want's Carl to be eaten?

e - totally with you on the Tony Moore front, that guy rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

I just read the latest issue and Rathburns art is really suffering here. Much more than usual. I'm wondering if it has something to do with trying to keep their schedule for a year. Some of the faces in this issue are just plain ugly. It's really a shame, and while I wouldn't wish to see the guy pulled off a book that he's invested so much in, I really hope something improves eventually.

• Locked thread