Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

LtCrowley posted:

I'll bite.

I imagine you will. Stay away from me.

*feed me seymour*

E: or is that avatar from a different movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LtCrowley posted:

I'll bite. Why do you want's Carl to be eaten?

e - totally with you on the Tony Moore front, that guy rocks.

I dunno he's just been annoying me lately. I think its something to do with the fact that Kirkman's characters all sort of have the same voice, so I find dialog heavy Carl parts to be a little distracting. Also he's giving off a real deranged murderer-child vibe lately.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
strangefool: No poo poo, Sherlock! (bro it's your line)

Drunkboxer posted:

I dunno he's just been annoying me lately. I think its something to do with the fact that Kirkman's characters all sort of have the same voice, so I find dialog heavy Carl parts to be a little distracting. Also he's giving off a real deranged murderer-child vibe lately.

You know, I actually disliked him more when he was 'generic little kid in need of protection'. For my money it's actually kinda realistic that he'd be making this transition in light of his dad's leadership role/the amount of death he's been exposed to/combat training/sister and mother gone.

On a side note has anyone else noticed the surface similarities between this and the Dark Tower?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
I could dig a Michone or Abe spin off mini-series. The story they have to tell is a little bit different then what I've come to expect from TWD. Thinking about it, I don't think anyone could take over for Rick. There would have to be an easy transition over a few issues to bring a new character up to speed. I think everyone agrees that Rick has been beat to hell though... is this TWD's last arc?

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
In the Letters section of one of the latest comics Kirkman mentions wanting to continue for another 10 - 50 years, so probably not.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scarecrow411 posted:

I could dig a Michone or Abe spin off mini-series. The story they have to tell is a little bit different then what I've come to expect from TWD. Thinking about it, I don't think anyone could take over for Rick. There would have to be an easy transition over a few issues to bring a new character up to speed. I think everyone agrees that Rick has been beat to hell though... is this TWD's last arc?

From all interviews and accounts, they have no plan to end the book anytime in the near future. Still the only book I'll read month to month, the new guys smack of cult, but considering every other lunatic they've run into out there, maybe it's time they caught a break.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think, given some time to build up a bit from the backseat he's taken recently, Glenn could become a capable main character in the event of Rick's untimely demise.

I don't really want Rick to die, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Matt Cruea posted:

I think, given some time to build up a bit from the backseat he's taken recently, Glenn could become a capable main character in the event of Rick's untimely demise.

But then Glenn will be poo poo on! Glenn's so happy now, don't ruin things for him!

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

LtCrowley posted:

strangefool: No poo poo, Sherlock! (bro it's your line)

Wait a minute, Audrey II, that's not a very nice thing to say!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Matt Cruea posted:

Eventually, he'll have to. The only constant throughout the series has been him, and when the series gets tired, the only real change that could happen is to him. Or the zombie outbreak could start mutating them ala Left 4 Dead, but I'd rather the series continue past the character at this point.

Or maybe at Issue #100. That would do.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really doubt it would happen, but it would be interesting if the group was segmented. Like half ended up at the commune and half stayed on the road. It would help give some variety to the type of stories Kirkman gets to tell.

I think that Kirkman's probably going to stick with just following Rick and Carl. It would be nice if he could branch off. Glenn's and his family don't get enough attention.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really doubt it would happen, but it would be interesting if the group was segmented. Like half ended up at the commune and half stayed on the road. It would help give some variety to the type of stories Kirkman gets to tell.
This kind of happened when the group found that farm way back when. I don't think we got many issues cutting back to the life on the farm, though.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I'm going to try to stay clear of this thread so I don't see spoilers. I got the compendium for Christmas and read through it.

It's a great story that shows how horrible people are to other people. I like thinking that anything can happen at any time.

I hate that the wife and the new baby died at the end. I know it's the zombie apocalypse, but they'd been through so much with the pregnancy and such and then she dies. gently caress the dead governor.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BDawg posted:

I'm going to try to stay clear of this thread so I don't see spoilers. I got the compendium for Christmas and read through it.

It's a great story that shows how horrible people are to other people. I like thinking that anything can happen at any time.

I hate that the wife and the new baby died at the end. I know it's the zombie apocalypse, but they'd been through so much with the pregnancy and such and then she dies. gently caress the dead governor.

Yeah, pretty much everyone gets pissed on following the prison stuff.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I enjoyed the prison arc, watching them try to move towards rebuilding a community of some kind and the various logistics that entails was fun. It feels like since they left the prison the story has kind of been meandering a bit so I'm interested to see how this new community turns out.

Regarding the epic Blue Balls caused by reading The Walking Dead does anyone have any recommendations for other comics that give this same feeling? Because I have to say I don't get this feeling when I'm reading Dark Avengers or Batman or most other comics. I mean I'm interested to know what happens next but with The Walking Dead it's on a whole other level. It's like trying to watch individual episodes of 24 or Naruto. You start clawing at the walls because it's over so quickly and you absolutely MUST see what happens next.

I've read a few other comics that really draw you in like The Walking Dead and give that same feeling...

Girls
The Sword
Invincible
Y - The Last Man
The Punisher Max

Those are all comics that you will absolutely devour and I REALLY can't recommend them enough. Anyone have any others?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 10, 2010

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

-Blackadder- posted:

I enjoyed the prison arc, watching them try to move towards rebuilding a community of some kind and the various logistics that entails was fun. It feels like since they left the prison the story has kind of been meandering a bit so I'm interested to see how this new community turns out.

Regarding the epic Blue Balls caused by reading The Walking Dead does anyone have any recommendations for other comics that give this same feeling? Because I have to say I don't get this feeling when I'm reading Dark Avengers or Batman or most other comics. I mean I'm interested to know what happens next but with The Walking Dead it's on a whole other level. It's like trying to watch individual episodes of 24 or Naruto. You start clawing at the walls because it's over so quickly and you absolutely MUST see what happens next.

I've read a few other comics that really draw you in like The Walking Dead and give that same feeling...

Girls
The Sword
Invincible
Y - The Last Man
The Punisher Max

Those are all comics that you will absolutely devour and I REALLY can't recommend them enough. Anyone have any others?

Scalped and Unknown Soldier both kick all sorta rear end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just bought the first trade on a whim and finished reading it. Immediately after I ordered the compendium and the three trades that come after it, in other words everything else that's been collected so far. The only other comics that have managed to suck me in enough to order the entire series after reading just the first volume have been The Sandman and Y: The Last Man. And I agree with the above posters that Walking Dead feels a lot like the latter, not just in terms of "a group of people wandering around after an apocalypse" but the tone and suspense of it.

I was rather surprised that Kirkman said that he hadn't seen 28 Days Later before creating the first issue, but I suppose they were both inspired by Day of the Triffids. Actually, I was surprised that this was done by Kirkman, period - the only other thing of his I'd read, or even really was aware of, was Battle Pope.

The compendium can't come fast enough.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been reading since issue 12. I'm so thankful my favorite comic clerk told me to pick up Invincible issue 25 a short while later.

Clerk: "You should really start at the beginning or else issue 25 won't make sense. There are only four volumes you'd have to buy."
Me: "I don't know if I can afford any trades right now."
Owner (just off the phone with Diamond): "Buy all of them and I'll give you twenty percent off. No joke."
Me: "Deal."

Yeah, the owner knew I had an impulse shopping habit.

Anyway, Kirkman is the reason I'm reading new comics (not just American Splendor, Zippy, and other "classics" like I was), and was able to get into The Luna Brothers and rediscover Evan Dorkin and some other good things.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Anyway, Kirkman is the reason I'm reading new comics (not just American Splendor, Zippy, and other "classics" like I was), and was able to get into The Luna Brothers and rediscover Evan Dorkin and some other good things.

I REALLY love The Luna Brothers and think they're criminally unknown. Everybody and their dog knows about Kirkman and The Walking Dead but I don't hear people talking about Girls or The Sword nearly enough. Those books made me literally SALIVATE for the next issue as much if not more than The Walking Dead in some cases. I'm so pissed that I started The Sword before it ended. I knew I shouldn't have but I couldn't help it and now I have massive loving blue balls for months because of it.

I'll take a look at some of the other stuff you mentioned.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Walking Dead Vol 1 Days Gone Bye:

2009 - Number 5
2008 - Number 17
2007 - Number 12
2006 - Number 9
2005 - Number 10

That is 5 CONSECUTIVE YEARS In the Top 20 graphic novels for the year.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's a hell of a spike between 2008 and 2009.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Wanderer posted:

That's a hell of a spike between 2008 and 2009.

A lot of people probably went and checked out the book as the buzz about the TV adaptation on AMC (I think) began to build.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I just finished re-reading the entire series in TPBs. I really hesitate to like any character anymore, because everyone is poo poo on. Just constantly. The apocalypse loving blows, you guys.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
:hawaaaafap:

quote:

21 January 2010
Frank Darabont's Walking Dead Is Go!
TV Pilot gets the green light
Source: Variety
Frank Darabont's Walking Dead Is Go!

We reported a while ago that Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd were prepping an adaptation of zombie comics series The Walking Dead for cable channel AMC. "Prepping" has now turned into "actually making", with the news that the pilot episode has officially got the go ahead.

In print form, The Walking Dead is by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, and has been running since 2003. It currently stretches to eleven volumes in the paperback collections, and basically involves Zombiegeddon survivor Rick Grimes and his family making their way to a possibly apocryphal Last Safe Place, and getting into agreeably visceral scrapes and adventures along the way.

AMC's Charlie Collier said that "working with people like Frank and Gale is the right way for us to deliver a project of distinction in this genre." Which is suit-speak for "the guys that made Shawshank and The Mist and Aliens and Terminator are gonna put zombies on TV and it's gonna kick rear end and be awesome!" Or something similar. Shooting schedules and casting have yet to be announced, but we're already very excited...
Owen Williams
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26771

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
So do we know yet if it will be a mini-series or a normal series?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Ace Oliveira posted:

So do we know yet if it will be a mini-series or a normal series?

Knowing AMC, it'll probably get at least a 6 episode first season order that will, for the most part, stand alone. Future seasons (hopefully) will likely be between 6-12 episodes. They seem to borrow a lot from the British school of TV seasons/series, which definitely works in terms of the quality of their programs.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I just totally plowed through the entire series from issue 1 to 68 and all I can say is gently caress yeah. This comic is sick, depraved and I'm loving it. Man so many people died in that prison shoot out.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any know when the next issue hits stands? The official schedule says this week but my local comic book store says they haven't heard anything.

fenderrob
Jan 6, 2004

Volume posted:

Any know when the next issue hits stands? The official schedule says this week but my local comic book store says they haven't heard anything.

The official schedule is right, it's in my hands right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally managed to get to the store to pick up the new issue any guesses on how this is going to be not all they hope it will be?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Len posted:

Finally managed to get to the store to pick up the new issue any guesses on how this is going to be not all they hope it will be?

I think it is, but they gently caress it up with their own distrust and paranoia and end up getting kicked out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^What he said.

I'm starting to hope that it IS everything they've been dreaming of. But that they're now so broken they can no longer fit in with normal people.

We already saw a little of that when Rick freaked out over the guy with the smashed up leg, basically telling their new friends to leave him to be eaten.

Or Rick's kid one day blurts out how he killed another child.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Obviously things aren't going to stay peaceful forever, but I think that Kirkman's gonna give us at least 5-6 issues of relative peace, with paranoia running deep in the background amongst Rick's crew. In all likelihood, as mentioned already, they'll screw it up and get themselves kicked out, or someone will snap, kill a few innocent civilians, and allow for a zombie overrun.

I really don't mind some downtime now, considering it's been kinda boring as of late with the "on the road" stuff, and while the Prison arc got bogged down after a while, I really enjoy whenever the crew starts to settle down a bit, if only because the threat of a zombie overtaking is always looming about, and there's more of a punch when it finally occurs.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
I'm going to throw in that Ricks group will cause a division among the settlement that will ultimately cause its destruction. Half of the people will think the group is savage and needs to be expelled. The other half will argue that they just need time to re-adjust.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

I'm guessing that they'll actually coexist peacefully with them, and the conflict will be external, either some operation the group has been planning in DC that they'll have to help with, or some sort of invasion on the community.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just hope he doesn't go the "terrible hidden secret" route where the community is pretending to be safe and peaceful but they're really secretly a pedophilic rape cult or something.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Dacap posted:

I just hope he doesn't go the "terrible hidden secret" route where the community is pretending to be safe and peaceful but they're really secretly a pedophilic rape cult or something.

Didn't they already kind of do that with the Governor? I doubt Kirkman would go down that route again, but I won't be surprised if they have ulterior motives for recruiting members than just building a safe productive community.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

teekun posted:

Didn't they already kind of do that with the Governor? I doubt Kirkman would go down that route again, but I won't be surprised if they have ulterior motives for recruiting members than just building a safe productive community.

The cover of the upcoming issue seems to suggest this too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Oh my god, I just finished the first compendium and jesus christ I have to wait for the next few paperbacks to get here. It's killing me :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
When is the fifth hardcover coming out? Amazon says it's already out but I think they've been notoriously bad about release dates in the past. Wikipida says 1/29 but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

• Locked thread