Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's a hell of a spike between 2008 and 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

foxatee posted:

After watching the second episode of the AMC series: Is it me, or does Lori seem like a slut? This is why I shouldn't watch adaptations :(

She believes her husband is dead, because he was in a coma in a building that was completely overrun by zombies. It is a reasonable assumption to make.

In a time of great stress and extended periods of personal danger, she has engaged in a quiet but consensual sexual relationship with her late husband's best friend, who is kind of a dickhead but who is providing her with a shoulder to lean on just when she needs it most, while providing a stable male role model for her young son. As far as we know, Shane is the only person she is involved with, and she is the only person Shane is involved with.

If Rick had gotten killed in episode one, you would not be asking this question at all.

In other words, yes. It is you.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Meh, it looked pretty trashy to me. The way they did it in the comic was more believable. It was something that happened at a low point and she pretty much new it was a mistake immediately. And Shane was just a confused, love sick idiot who was hung up on his best friends girl. In the show it's an ongoing thing where she looks at his ring for a second then get's down to business and Shane is a hilarious scumball who just oozes sleeze and misogyny. People made fun of Michael Rookers character for not being subtle, I thought Shanes character was equally ridiculous.

Shane oozed sleaze (although I wouldn't call it misogyny, "sleaze" works just as well) in a private conversation with Rick that Lori wasn't privy to; in fact, that entire conversation is about how he edits his immediate reaction to women in order to be polite. When we see him as the leader of the survivors at the campsite, he's teaching Carl how to tie a knot, and the worst thing you can say about him is that he's way too cautious.

Lori was already fighting with Rick the day he went into the coma, and that was before having to give up her entire life in favor of a vagabond existence. We can also assume she's had at least a few close calls on their way into and back out of Atlanta. She knows Shane quite well, since he's her husband's best friend, and he's unattached.

In order to effectively judge a fictional character and his or her actions, it is important to consider what they know. We know that Lori is technically cheating on Rick and that Shane's got weird attitudes towards women. What they know is that they're in a bad situation, they're both unattached, and this is one of the ways they cope. It's perfectly natural and neither of them are doing anything immoral according to the information they have access to.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 9, 2010

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

"Weird attitudes towards women?" Are you loving serious? The guy is a grade A misogynistic scumbag. They practically beat us over the head with it in the first scene he's in.

I went back and watched the scene again before making my original post. He's complaining about how women never turn off the light switch, in a speech that's clearly not meant to endear him to the audience. His language is unpleasant and he's clearly drawn to women with father issues, but I'd submit that "misogynistic" is an overstatement.

Then again, doing some quick reading on the subject, my initial reaction to the word "misogynist" may be different from yours.

-Blackadder- posted:

We obviously have different ideas of what's "perfectly natural". I'd hope that I could rely on my wife and best friend to not start humping each others brains out a month after they leave me in a coma, regardless of the circumstances. It's a despicable thing to do any way you slice it.

The timeframe being muddy is the most obvious issue. We don't know how long Rick was in his coma or, more relevantly, how long he was in his coma after the hospital outbreak. We know it's not been more than a week or so since the hospital fell, because Rick had a fresh enough IV to keep him alive and his hair was still pretty short (and the dude obviously had a pretty dedicated nurse), but we've got no indication how long he was in the coma beforehand.

We also don't know the beginnings of Shane and Lori's new relationship, and that may be a larger sticking point. My immediate inclination is to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that the relationship is new and post-outbreak; you're clearly starting from a different immediate assessment, which is totally fair.

If it is post-outbreak, and they think Rick died in the hospital, it's considerably less questionable than if they're carrying on an affair that began pre-outbreak. I can understand their making the assumption that Rick's dead given how infested the hospital was, or could be expected to be, particularly with Carl to worry about. I guess it's a question of waiting and seeing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think the real answer here is "she's Andrea."

She's really the biggest badass in the book right now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm pretty much expecting Michonne to come right the gently caress out of nowhere like an anime samurai and take his arm off at the shoulder.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think this might be what pushes Rick into being the Alexander the Great of post-apocalypse North America.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"Magna"?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

We've also only seen a relatively small part of the Walking Dead "universe."

It'd be pretty funny if the rest of the country is mostly enclaves of survivors watched over by military crews and Rick's group just didn't find out about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm having a hard time with this issue. I'm not sure how the bald zombie chick had the time to quietly abduct and decapitate all those people, particularly the ones like Rosita who were in the middle of town.

Although... man, Rosita was pregnant. :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I can appreciate the whole "anyone can die in a dangerous world" thing, but I don't know if it was the silly one-woman stealth massacre rather than like... a real cause and effect death, but this seemed like the most blatant "let's kill characters purely to make the reader feel strong feelings!" since Negan basically spelled that out as his reasoning for killing Glen.

The more I think about it, the less sense this makes, yeah. I could see Alpha managing to grab Ezekiel, since he was running out of town after Michonne like a moron, or that one dude at the blacksmith hut by pretending to be into him, but that's about it.

It would be marginally more believable if she's got a dude back at her camp who used to be a special-effects expert or a makeup artist or something, and that's not saying a hell of a lot..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It takes time to ship books to the printer, have the pages run off, have them stapled together, and then shipped all over the country.

The bare-minimum turnaround time for a printed item is about a month, if everything goes exactly right.

• Locked thread