Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The latest issue has a really unexpected ending and really changes the pace.

Rick makes a knee-jerk decision to shoot Negan and his few men as he is leaving the Safe-Zone with supplies. Fails. He ends up unarmed facing a large amount of hidden Saviors with guns who have the place completely surrounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

In Rick's place I would have taken longer to try to get in my oppressor's good graces before openly trying to kill him, but I also don't have to live with the frustration of being harassed robbed and my friends killed by a psychotic frat boy tyrant.

Minus a sudden zombie attack (probably impossible; was the gate closed all the way?) or one of Negan's men shooting him in the back I don't see how the heroes are getting out of this one. Maybe Kirkman will kill everyone off and continue the series with a new group of survivors. :shepicide:

I think that Andrea or Carl both who probably still have their guns on Negan's head will assure that their is a sort of stale-mate between the two groups

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

The pacing in TWD has become eerily similar to DBZ.

"I'm Rick, I'm king poo poo of zombie mountain"
"gently caress you Rick, I'm Negan, I'm king dick of your mountain"
"gently caress Negan, we can take him"
"gently caress you Rick, I'll take you"
"Ok deal. (We can take Negan, we'll go behind his back)"
"Ha, you thought you could go behind my back, here are some more swears"

And so on. I hope something happens soon.

I have a feeling that it will be more of this until the next "all out war" arc, where they are going to be doing once every two weeks instead.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

They use a Z horde to siege the factory. I don't understand why they needed an occupied vehicle to knock down the fence (some other method?) and how Rick, assuming himself as some expert on Negan's deprived mind, reasons that he alone is invulnerable to torture and murder inside the factory.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Speaking of lazy writing in the latest issue how could Negan confuse Holly with Andrea? He recently had Holly lined up in front of him for at least ten minutes ready to be executed but he still somehow assumed she the sniper Rick was worried about.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

bigmike posted:

Not that I buy it, but Negan said that because Holly "sacrificed" herself for Rick by taking his place, he assumed they must be lovers. She didn't care about saving Rick, she took his place because she wanted revenge for Abraham. I don't know if Negan ever knew that Andrea and Rick were sleeping together.

Yeah, I totally get why he would assume Holly sacrificed herself out of love for Rick, but toward the end of the interrogation Negan says to Holly: "gently caress You. I've SEEN you. You're the sharpshooter. we thought you were dead but we saw Connar on the way out-it was him who fell out of the tower. You're a tough loving bitch but a TERRIBLE liar"

Its that line that trips me up, as Negan is describing remembering seeing "sharpshooter" Andrea AS Holly during a time that Holly was a few inches in front of him.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I kind of think Shiva might not be dead, she was never shown to be exactly bleeding. A few times Kirkman had someone swarmed by zombies and survive (Tyrone). The bad-action movie trope in which if a character is not depicted as a mangled corpse or losing an essential organ means that they miraculously survived somewhat applies to this comic.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The governors daughter in the comic was half trained not to attack the governor if I remember.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The most interesting event of the issue was Carl calling his father a wimp for fainting from fatigue after the grenade attack. It was cruel given the context, and seems to hint at a child so damaged and scared that he can no longer bond with any sort of father-figure prone to failure and weakness. I predict that sort of hosed-up social Darwinism/Stockholm syndrome "bonding" between Carl and Negan will show itself again.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I liked the issue but it is like the third or fourth time that Negan is towering around completely unscathed in a crowd of people getting mowed down by bullets.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

With the governor they had him conduct the war far from the back, while wearing bullet-proof riot gear, and several failed attempts to shoot him from afar.

The vague veneer of believability departed with Carl's eye and the arrival of the trained attack-tiger.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

"Killing is wrong!" *stabs a dude in the throat with a knife*

It's almost as bad as Rick realizing that Dwight was a trust-worthy ally because, in the end, he *only* shot me from behind through the abdomen with a not-poisoned crossbow bolt.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I actually think I can convince myself that Rick has a weird psychological hang-up about killing Negan because Negan basically could have killed his son, and him, several times but spared them. I also think locking Negan up has a perverse revenge aspect to it. He can call Negan a pathetic sack of poo poo on a daily basis. But I still can't believe that everyone else in the story could be completely OK with keeping a lifer.

Also, the new group could have easily asked anyone else about Negan. I can't see how they could have a burning curiosity about the prison to the point they are willing to break into it, but not even casually ask anybody else about it.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

It's going to be embedded weirdos, using guts tricks or something.

I wonder if the remaining Saviors were so inept at creating a functioning community over the past two years that they have taken to "guiding" herds of zombies into the safe-zones to spy, kill and steal resources in a very underhanded manner. There must still be animosity between the two groups, it seemed often that many of the Saviors were violent and cruel ex-gang members, including Dwight.

There is also a new cover showing a zombie holding her cut arm in pain and screaming, with Jesus looking rather startled with a bloody sword.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Liked the latest issue, feel that the series is really good and well-written again, has all the small subtleties and details that make the world believable: botched attempts at re-inventing alcohol, the home made chess set, a massive chicken roast, abandoned farmlands, jokes about the disappearance of television.

Like the new Dante character and his flirty histrionics with Maggie.

Ending was shocking and raises many questions: Andrea is basically assaulted in her own home by Magna's group to be "questioned."

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I don't like that the zombie-people are turning out to be cartoon villains."LEARN TO FEAR US!" "NOW YOU DIE!" I didn't really like the Governor,the Hunters or Negan because they seemed to be basically mentally-ill psychopaths with no nuance.

IMO the best, albeit short-lived, villains were guys like Dexter or Martinez. Also liked Hershel, Abraham, and the priest when they had feuds with Rick as they all had good motivations to cross him or challenge him.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I think what happened to Carl... he loses it after those two bully kids surprise attack and seriously injure him while beating up Sophie, and ends up bludgeoning them to death with a shovel,similar to the manner in which Negan did in Glenn.
...in this issue was long-coming but it's really the next logical step for the long-term story-line. I think the series will be getting really interesting again because its dealing with a serious moral crisis, instead of tired good vs evil. Its going to be even more interesting if the Whisperers turn out to be paranoid and mentally-damaged instead of purely cruel and unforgiving gangsters, they came off as slightly more human in this issue when they were put in a compromising situation.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Taking a break and catching up by collection is by far the best choice. Monthlies are a really bad way to read Walking Dead.

the latest issue is a testament to the fact

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

I've said this before, but my favorite last-page-bullshit is the one where Rick's yelling about how he's OK with other people's kids getting eaten because THEY'RE NOT OUR KIDS! and then the next issue he's like "...I'd say if I were a jerk. Let's go save those kids!" :downs:

That's the funniest.

The worst are when he basically shows somebody being violently attacked only to somehow reverse the outcome instantly in the next issue. Like Dwight launching a bolt straight through RIck's innards only for it to be an elaborate "stunt" meant to give a false impression. Or the cliff of Rick slashing Negan's throat in front of several Saviors with loaded guns only to explain, in detail, to everyone in the first page of the next comic that it was a non fatal, treatable wound from an unpoisioned knife.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Carl is going to screw up being the Paragon of Justice like his father and Negan will be the only person he can effectively bond with.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

Alpha seems interesting. What really got my attention was the hint that there could be thousands of whisperers, and that they represent the new status quo.

I took they meant thousands of Walker-underlings, more than actual people in whisperer suits.

I like how they are hunter-gatherers. I mean with next to no vehicles being driven for half a decade their must be crazy proliferation of rodents.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The last issue was probably the most unlikable version of Rick, he is even growing a classic upturned villain-stache when he guilt-trips and lectures everyone.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, today's issue was incredibly disturbing and unexpected. Almost approached issue 48 levels of trauma. The series is going to be crazy again fora while because the aftermaths are going to be insane.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

This is like the 50th time that Rick has had his grandiose plans explode in his face.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Issue 154: I know Kirkman always wants to add some last minute characterization before offing his character's but its a bit odd to have folks stroll past the Whisperer's "don't pass this point or we will kill and mutilate your loved ones corpses" barrier and immediately have a loud, casual conversation about how fuckable Jesus is.

Aaron stabbed in side by Whisperer named Beta, who earlier in issue allowed Negan to join their way of life

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

I'm a little hopeful that Negan's zero-tolerance for rape pays off somehow, given that Kirkman went out of his way to depict the Whisperers' completely opposite attitude on the issue.

oh poo poo, yeah i forgot about that. That could be very interesting.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The Whisperers are dangerous because they could surround themselves with thousands of real Walkers, trying to attack them with poisoned swords seems a bit useless.

Then again, this is a comic where a pet tiger was brought to several gun fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

When Negan was trying to excuse himself for taking Dwight's wife and portray his actions as doing a favor why wasn't the fact that Negan also probably joyfully ironed half of Dwights face off brought up? People have to stay civil despite c*ucking all the time but being civil with a dude who tortured and facially mutilated you seems insane? Also when Negan becomes celebrated war hero, leader and asset to the allied forces is Maggie going to be all cool with it?

• Locked thread