Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I kinda lost track of TWD after the end of the Prison stuff (the last thing I remember is them finding Morgan with his zombie son, which is super depressing when you consider that they were actually doing okay in that Christmas special and it couldn't have been long after that it all went downhill), but I like that this thread is here; I might actually start picking this up again (at least in trade).

I'm really glad that the show may actually happen, and on AMC to boot. I've had debates with a friend over whether or not it would be easily-translated into a movie or not, and a (mini?)series on TV would be leagues above any sort of big-screen rendition.

Also, Dr. McMullet is definitely crazy; there's no way Kirkman would have his survivors who are completely disconnected from the large-scale zombie holocaust stumble upon someone that important. Also, Abraham, cool as he is, is playing the Tyreese "2nd leader" position (which worked out so well for him), so his death chances should at least be moderate to high, despite whatever Kirkman says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

There was a moment or two after the end of the Prison arc where I thought Carl would become the main character, what with Rick slowly jumping off the deep end and all. A story about a kid who's been through so much poo poo having to fend for himself would have been pretty interesting, though, if I remember right, an issue or two into the very brief "Lone Rick and Cub" thing, Carl pretty much proved that he'd be hosed if he ever had to face a legitimate threat alone, meaning a solo Carl series would end relatively quickly without the constant use of Deus ex Machina or having him regroup with the other survivors.

Aside from Carl though, I don't think any of the other side characters would be able to hold the group, let alone the series, together for long. Aside from the aforementioned Michonne, Abe, and Andrea, the rest of the characters in the group are ancillary at best, with an occasional side story giving them something to do. And even with them replacing Rick, I don't think it would work out for too long: Michonne's still far too mysterious, and while a side story explaining her origins or whatever would be awesome, I don't think a series following her mowing through zombies and cult leaders would be a good direction for the series (a solo series, perhaps, but not TWD main book). Same goes for Abe.

The only post-Rick thing that I think would be interesting would be a time jump, with a few of the crew picked off and a slightly older Carl (like mid teens, not full adult) trying to hold everyone together and encountering the same issues as his dad, but taking a more experienced approach to things. Maybe even make him much more morally ambiguous than Rick ever was (for bonus points, have Rick come back somehow, like out of a coma or something stupid like that, and have to deal with what his son has become).

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Obviously things aren't going to stay peaceful forever, but I think that Kirkman's gonna give us at least 5-6 issues of relative peace, with paranoia running deep in the background amongst Rick's crew. In all likelihood, as mentioned already, they'll screw it up and get themselves kicked out, or someone will snap, kill a few innocent civilians, and allow for a zombie overrun.

I really don't mind some downtime now, considering it's been kinda boring as of late with the "on the road" stuff, and while the Prison arc got bogged down after a while, I really enjoy whenever the crew starts to settle down a bit, if only because the threat of a zombie overtaking is always looming about, and there's more of a punch when it finally occurs.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

(Not gonna spoiler this, since the issue's out)

My guess is that Davidson was very Rick-like in his leadership style, and by this I mean Prison-arc Rick. Killing perceived threats, making harsh decisions that probably didn't go over too well with the rest of his group, etc. Rick has sort of mellowed a bit since that arc in terms of leading with an iron fist (though he's certainly a lot crazier since then, as shown by the immediate rage he went into when he couldn't find Carl), but I'd imagine that, within a few issues, they'll start "looking to him for guidance" and start comparing his methods to this Davidson fellow's.

• Locked thread