Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

McDonkey posted:

I loving hate Comics and I consider zombie stories to be stuff for retarded teenagers, but the Walking Dead is simply one of the best thing I've ever read in my life. Read it.

It's such a blue ball creating comic as a monthly read, but if you pick it up in trade form, Oh man, That's when it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
It pretty much was the monthly bump and grind. Like anyone who's read the trades and caught up can tell you, dealing with the trades leaves you with massive blue balls. The prison arc was just really really long in our time in terms of the release of the book, is all.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
They're going to have to touch on that massive zombie rush/stampede again as that was more than likely not brought up simply to derail that Atlanta gun run. Perhaps a sort of storm of zombie hordes will run through the enclosed city?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Sarah Wayne Callies is going to be playing Lori, Rick's wife. Fans of ridiculous television will remember her from Prison Break.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/419324_tvgif30.html

Ah, yet another Prison she's going to get sent off to. I wonder if Rick will have a mean sleeve tattoo showing how to kill the zombies

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I just saw a trailer for this through a survey, so if anyone has any questions, I'll answer them.

I had never heard of Walking Dead before that, but holy poo poo, I will now be going out of my way to get the trade collections and to watch this show when it is released.

So.. if you've never heard of the walking dead before, what sort of questions could you possibly answer?

Well, I guess you could answer if it's the same trailer shown at comic con.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if it was or not. I didn't want to go through the thread cause I saw the first post had a bunch of unmarked spoilers. :shobon:

It started out with a police chase that ended in one dude getting shot, then he woke up in a hospital and stuff. Some black guy had to shoot his zombie wife and the cop guy was crawling underneath a tank or something.

So then yes. You saw the clip from comic con. They haven't released an official one yet, but there's the pirated youtube clip floating around of that.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, that was a "gently caress YEAH!" moment. But I can't wait to see what happens when the zombie horde comes crawling at their gate.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Then again.. isn't that the whole purpose of a zombie film? To reflect on the fact that we're the real monsters in the situation and that while a flesh eating death lays out in the world, we have more to fear from internal struggle and how many snap at the whole concept of society breaking down?

I'm not sure how you can updated it. And don't tell me fast moving zombies. I find that as a 'why even bother, let me eat a bullet' situation. As they're always used as a shock scare or just so overwhelming that it's not even worth it.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, they do touch on the threat that a full on zombie horde offers when they're going to Washington D.C., but the whole point of zombies was never to be running. Much like death, it's slow and no matter what, you're not going to escape no matter where or how fast you run.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Adlard sketched a really cool zombie for me one year at con without any line or anyone around him.

He's a-okay in my book.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I've always been annoyed with the whole "The book went to poo poo because Adlard is not Tony Moore"

Yes, we get it. Tony Moore is a much better artist but Adlard once getting his groove really does draw some nitty gritty zombies really well.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, the main difference is she actually looked conflicted about the whole thing. I think it was issue 8 or so when they were right outside of Atlanta on the road and she acted as if she regretted it and this was before Rick showed up.

The show just doesn't feel like Lori gives a gently caress and wants to get her rocks off.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
While the stuff may be out of nowhere, I'm sure this CDC thing wont be more than a better old people's home side story.

It's still telling the same story, just gonna take its own path till the mile markers.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, I had to do a couple of looks at that since it seems like they're in a walled area (and is that the bell tower in the background the snipping spot?). But I guess it just shows the zombies are so close to the gate.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

quote:

Not because I'm some spergy dude

You don't have to tell us, your post lays it out clear how non-spergy you are. Do tell us more....

First off, there should be some sort of FAQ which clearly points out that jumping from reading it in a trade to reading it monthly will give you a terrible case of blue balls and will test even the most patient of men.

You have to realize that what you're reading in a short amount of time is the equivalent of 8 years worth of monthly.. or semi-monthly issues. It's utterly brutal. Not because of the story but because of how little each month actually gives you as a piece of the pie.

And while Adlard is not Tony Moore, his art is pretty good in its own right. Especially when you're dealing with pages filled with a lot of undead.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
And yet more reasons why people who plow through the trades in a day/week really should pace themselves. This month's issue felt far too short.

And looks like two of our original crew are out of the "no way out" situation.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
So he's busting out the "smear his innards on us and let's just pimp walk it out of here" tactic.

Clever girl.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Not sure why anyone is surprised at this point. kirkman has been all about setting up really interesting plot points and then stomping them out completely before they even had a chance to grow.

Shane potentially(well, a given) the father of Judith and how that would effect Rick--- gently caress it, let's kill both his wife and child in a shocking turn of events.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
He just cleaned house too easily with characters that seemed like they could have lasted at least a good ten issues more to actually build up some sort of giving of a poo poo when they did die.

But again, this isn't news to anyone as it seems that Kirkman knows how to set up interesting ideas and then completely avoid developing them.

I'm not done with this comic, even though I walked away from it for a time after Lori died, but by god man. This was just sloppy all around.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I probably would have been fine with seeing more aimless wandering if the new folks weren't getting picked off so quickly.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
so... what happened?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Frank stepping down as show runner doesn't worry me much. This season must have already been planned out pretty well enough and I'm sure him doing the duties of show running and picking up the slack of the canned writers must have just been too much for him.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
We've just survived a huge zombie attack and are rebuilding our small town. Gee, this is the perfect time to mutiny!

Ugh, I'm so tired of the enemy from within stories.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I love how the gun shot that caused severe memory issues is something that can easily be treated and Rick is telling Carl that he can leave there in a day.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The annoying aspect of the hole in the head is that they could have easily achieved this "selectively reset/gently caress with his memory" by having him bumped in the head via falling roof or other non bullet hole in the skull accident.

Him getting shot in the face and being all cool with one less eye is just terrible.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah. I don't know what happened to the TV show. Well, I guess I realize that it's a lot easier to read an issue of nothing in ten minutes than it is to waste an hour (or the majority of a half season) on what essentially was that ten minutes.

So we're getting hints that a new outside group is spying on them. What's the over/under on them actually being a good group of survivors and Rick turning them away due to the bad experiences of the past?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
A 7 page preview for the new issue is up.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/01/issue-93-sneak-peek.php

I wonder why I even read these previews anymore. It's torture enough to be month by month on this book. And every time I pick it up I wonder why the gently caress I still bother.

I'm pretty much to the point of wanting Rick dead again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, for as much hype that this issue was getting for how bloody it was going to be, I feel completely underwhelmed and they telegraphed the poo poo out of who was going to get it. Only a "I'm two days away from retirement" would have been any more obvious.

• Locked thread