Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CaptainPete posted:

I'm pretty sure that most reactors in North American have a series of safeties that will shut down the reactor if there are any issues and no response from operators. I don't think it's a big issue, as there aren't very many of them in the US. Someone in the Crossed thread talked about how hard it is to get a reactor to overload. There's a small one in Portland, but I doubt anything could cause it to explode or leak radiation.

On the resiliency of modern nuclear power plants: Some twenty years ago, my 2nd grade class took a field trip to a nearby nuclear plant for a tour and some lectures from the employees there. On one of our stops, we were taken into a backup control room, which was a replica of the real control room and was programmed to respond exactly as the real reactor would; I think it was used for training exercises. My entire second-grade class was let loose in the control room--twenty kids pulling all the levers and pushing all the buttons at random, and we couldn't cause a simulated catastrophe.

Honestly, I'm thinking about making that place into my fortress in case of zombie holocaust. I imagine I'd be able to Google up enough information to run the power before the infestation reaches critical levels, and with the electricity and the security fences, I don't think it'd make for terrible defenses, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

Then again.. isn't that the whole purpose of a zombie film? To reflect on the fact that we're the real monsters in the situation...

No matter how many movies I see, the answer is always the same. It's the zombies. The zombies are the real monsters. You can tell by a lack of decay and better grooming among the survivors.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I dropped out of this comic a while ago, after Negan appeared, killed Glenn, chumped Rick's settlement and took their supplies and medicine, and then the gang went off to meet the King of Georgia or something to help them take Negan down.

How are you guys still discussing Negan? How did they make him into anything besides a crazy megalomaniac to be eventually killed by Rick or Michonne?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bango skank posted:

Long story short, Rick & Co. eventually raid Negan's hideout and defeat him but instead of killing him, Rick has him locked up in a cell in the basement of one of the houses in Alexandria because KILLING IS WRONG! Next issue has a 2 year time skip and he's still locked up down there and Rick occasionally visits to ask advice. That's more or less where we are now.

And that right there is why, no, I could not just read it.

• Locked thread