Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Walking Dead has a strange place in my heart. I get each trade as soon as it comes out, read it immediately, and then put it on the shelf knowing I'll never pick it up for some lite reading, and never pick it up again. It's really like rubbernecking at an accident; I need to know how well or badly the characters are doing. It is, no question, my most anticipated and least re-read comic.

Jack Skeleton posted:

It's such a blue ball creating comic as a monthly read, but if you pick it up in trade form, Oh man, That's when it's awesome.
Agreeing with this. I got a bunch of trades at once, and when one trade ended with Evil McOne-Eye driving a tank into the prison, I knew I would have chewed my arm off if I didn't have the next book right there. Never going to follow the book in monthlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's no reason to trust Dr. Mullet, but I'm hoping there's some change at DC. Over the past 5 years, it's getting a bit tough to keep "life has become poo poo" fresh.

It was interesting seeing how Rick + Co interacted with Abe + Co, and I'd be really interested in seeing them interact with people who haven't really been in the poo poo. Sort of a 'back from Iraq' scenario.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Humanity should start to rebuild at some point, tho. Thinking back, there've been 2 winters in Walking Dead? 3?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
So about the zombies:
There are definitely different types of zombie. Every group we've seen has divided the zombies into two categories. They've gone by different names, but I think they're all just zombies that sit around until woken up by someone, and the zombies that wander all the time.

Then, in the last TPB, Dr. Mullet pointed out a zombie that was just sitting around, and too lifeless to even get up.

Zombies seem to tend to herd together, never attack each other, are attracted to noises and seem to have some basic communication. In the first book, Glenn and Rick managed to wander freely in town by making themselves smell like zombies. Michonne did something similar by having two mouthless zombies wander around with her.

Zombie bites are pretty quickly fatal, unless the bitten part is chopped off.

I'm going off memory here, anything I'm missing\wrong on? I don't know if Kirkman has an exact Zombie ecosystem figured out, but I'm pretty sure he's working off some guidelines.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aussie Crawl posted:

Just once i'd like to see a Zombie story throw a massive curl-ball and have a community establish itself for reasons of survival, community and mutual protection without some kind of horrible secret or hosed up perversion or quirk.

World War Z talks about re-establishing civilization. So does Shaun of the Dead, in its own way.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

SublimeDelusions posted:

Just finished up volume one. I enjoyed it. I kinda want to go pick up 2, 3, and 4 tomorrow or monday (the only ones my shop had in). Not sure I'm going to grab them just yet though. Definitely a good read.
Be warned, somewhere around vol 4 of the TPBs is a horrible place to stop reading. One book just ends with a rather huge cliffhanger. I wish my books were here so I could figure out which one.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Drunkboxer posted:

So Kirkman's zombies will rot but will never die right? Wouldn't they just turn into skeletons eventually?

I think Kirkman's got some kind of ecology sketched out. We have seen at least one apparently intact zombie incapable of doing much besides sitting around and moaning.

I forget, you have to be bitten to become a zombie, right? They found that out in the prison arc.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Trivial Fursuit posted:

No, the bite "just" kills. It's something else that reanimates people (as evidenced by Dale or whathisface) standing up again.
Dale got his leg chopped off immediately tho, right?
That part was pretty intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
TPB 13 just came out a week or 2 ago.
I'm not sure, but I think the Compendium ends with TPB 4

• Locked thread