Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I trade wait the series, and I get the feeling it reads much better like that, rather than reading it monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The series reads way better in trades, I personally think.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts here about the tiger. :catstare:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That's why I trade wait - it reads a lot better in trade paper. The stories seem more organised that way, and the end of each story arc has more dramatic weight, since it's the end of that volume. It has more of a "dramatic pause" effect, rather than the monthly way making it all run together. I don't know if that makes any sense how I've explained it though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's a strange thing about TWD how the most obnoxious of people have become the most natural candidates for leadership post apocalypse. I understand the notion of groups of ruthless bandits but why do they always choose the most hosed up loose cannon types as their leaders? You'd think that after the second of third time Negan stole someone's wife or ironed someone's face the rest of the group would decide it's time to elect new leadership through shanking Negan in his sleep. At least the Governor made an effort to fool people into thinking he wasn't completely a blood crazed sociopath but Negan is as awful to his own henchmen as he is to random outsiders.

Once people decide to become bad guys they just go around looking for the worst person they can find to lead them, I guess.

I think the idea is that with Negan it's almost a cult-like thing. The Saviors don't think for themselves as much as they do what Negan says because Negan is the biggest, meanest bully in the room, and hey, he's kept them as king of the hill for a while now. And what if a traitor failed to kill Negan? Not only would the traitor be completely at the mercy of the biggest, meanest bully around, but also the group of devoted followers. Awful, monstrous people always have groupies - and in a world with no law and order, there's nothing to stop them.

Negan is defiantly the most interesting Walking Dead villain so far - the unpredictable way Kirkman shifts him from being a weirdo with a dark sense of humour to a :stonk: inducing psycho is pretty unnerving.

Rick's complete and utter :argh: attitude of semi-impotent rage towards him is pretty well done too. Seeing Rick flip out is one of the series's main charms.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It was Herschel and his son.

Kirkman has had a few characters debate the theological and philosophical questions the zombies pose to them. Gabriel and Eugene have a memorable one too. Honestly, the main thing that keeps me coming back to this comic is the characters. What a lot of zombie fiction doesn't get, is that the characters and how they react and change in the face of the new world is the interesting part, not "zombies are cool, right?". Kirkman has given us some really memorable characters over the course of the series - especially Rick.

The Governor was a bit of a two dimensional villain in the comics - he was a memorable character, but not half as interesting as Negan is.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

G-Whizard posted:

I really like the after prison lull. There is a lot of really cool story development that went on there. Especially the moment with the twin boys and what Carl does.

There's some really great Rick moments in that bit. The guy is just :smith: after losing Lori, most of his friends, the prison he worked so hard for, and his hand. Rick is pretty much emotionally destroyed at that point, and he has to rebuild himself and find a new sense of purpose.

That bit where he runs after the bandit with the knife is one of the most outright :stare: bits in the entire comic.

It's a really stripped bare, no frills part of the story, and leads really well into introducing Hilltop and the changes Rick goes through there.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

moths posted:

I mean, we've seen lots of dead animals so we assume it only works on humans reanimate. But we've never been seen a dead tiger, so he could establish that it works for humans. He won't actually do this (because it's a silly idea) but it would shake things up a bit.

I do wonder if there are zombie near-humans in TWD universe. Some primates are very genetically similar to us, and a small pack of zombie spider monkeys or mandrills could be more interesting than the endless zombies and raiders.

That would REALLY break the series's semi-realistic gritty tone if Rick had to fight a pack of killer zombie apes.

All we need to know about the zombies is that, for some reason, it doesn't matter why, if people die with their brain intact, they reanimate as zombies, who can inflict fatal bites. It doesn't need to be explained, or have any gimmicks added to it - it's really not the point of the series.

The point of the series isn't the zombies or why there are zombies. It's how people deal with it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

bigmike posted:

My main question is, do zombies have the dexterity to stand themselves up once they've been knocked over? Also, how do they navigate stairs? Seems like anyone on the second floor and up is relatively safe.

I think Kirkman has said somewhere that zombies can climb stairs if they have the motivation - like if they spot someone at the top of the stairs, they'll go up to try and get them. I think we've seen them get up before, definitely from a sitting position at least - I can't think of any examples off hand, but there is the issue where Eugene is surprised by a zombie that's too weak to get up off the floor to attack them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Negan is a pretty unreliable narrator, being a crazy person and all.

I guess introducing the filth into someone's bloodstream could make them sick and possibly cause a fatal infection, but with a much lower success rate than bites have. I doubt Kirkman will kill off Rick at the end of All Out War - it's too obvious. Maybe Rick will be incapacitated either temporarily or permanently, and the next story arc will have a new POV character for a while? It's not like the series has always been 100% from Rick's perspective, we've had plenty of scenes where he doesn't appear, or isn't there to witness events. I can see him doing something like having Rick wheelchair bound while he recovers or something along those lines.

One thing I like is how Kirkman doesn't use narration boxes or any kind of thought balloons - we never know what a character is thinking, which is an interesting story telling device.

That said, didn't Kirkman say we'd be hearing Negan's backstory? That should be interesting, he's probably the best villain the series has had, just for how weird he is.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 15, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Kirkman said that he really likes writing Negan, maybe he didn't want to let him go just yet? Plus killing someone off at the end of the big arc would have been too predictable. That, and we still haven't had Negan's backstory explained. The comic reads better in trades anyway - it flows better in big chunks.

I'm guessing 127 is when the big new direction comes in. Kirkman can overdo the hyperbole sometimes in promotion.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 23, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Kirkman has said over and over that the zombies will never get more intelligent.

I like how there's a sort of a distinct post-outbreak culture forming after the timeskip. That's pretty cool.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The covers are still great. I get that they don't put them in the trades to avoid breaking up the flow of the story, but they're really cool regardless.

I also like that Dwight, despite everything he's done, has no self confidence and doesn't believe in himself at all. Like on the 'Call to Arms' cover, he's looking all imposing, but still looks really unsure of himself.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

This is the greatest comic panel in the entire comic.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going to be a drat shame if I don't get to hear Jeffrey Dean Morgan say this.

There's so many great Negan lines that I hope they use, even with the network censorship limits. Next season, I really hope they adapt the issue where Carl visits the Saviour's base, not only because its a great issue, but so they can do Negan's 'you won't believe what I did to your son!' :smug: as a cliffhanger, only to have him pull the 'Look, I did nothing to your son :haw: as the start of the next episode.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm wondering if the Miltia will have to decide if they're willing to use muck infected blades on the Whisperers. It'd give them an advantage, but I think one hit blood poisoning would be something Rick would see as unfair an immoral.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Does Rick still have the hatchet he took from the barn at the start of the series? He used it a lot in the first half of the series, but I don't remember him losing it or it getting broken at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Negan took it from him back then, didn't he?

Just checked - he has it during after the time skip, during A New Beginning.

• Locked thread