Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Coolness Averted posted:

Also, did most of you really have a problem with the prison stuff?

I've never understood the hate for the prison arc, either. It allowed the story to take on a different pace for a while and led to some of the biggest "OH poo poo!" moments I've ever had when reading a comic.

Maybe it's because I'm a country boy who has a garden out back (one of the first things I planned when we bought our place last year), but I like seeing them at least briefly have a moment to do some smart things like plant a garden and such.

Also being from an area where a house without a gun is about as common as a house without a TV and I'm the odd man out because I don't go deer hunting, I like seeing them be somewhat intelligent when it comes to surviving in a world full of zombies once in a while. Constantly seeing people do stupid poo poo your average redneck is smart enough not to do gets old. Every so often you're going to find a good place to set up base for a while and you need to take full advantage of it. This means creating fortifications of course, but it also means making sure you can eat.

Then again, I'm also not the guy who would go investigate that strange sound all alone without telling anyone where I was going and wouldn't touch a ouija board if I thought someone in the house was possessed by a demon, so I'm all about the not-completely-braindead protagonist in a horror-movie-like situation.

Besides, if I recall correctly there was some sick bastard cutting off little girls' heads and a guy getting his nuts nailed to a board at about that time so the criticism about there not being enough "action" at that point in the story just doesn't hold a lot of water to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I read the monthlies and ate up the prison arc. I just plain liked it.

I'm glad it's over, of course. Change is a constant in this series and it needs to stay that way. I thought the prison arc was a good one and I think the move away from it was a good change as well.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Colonel Pancreas posted:

And that's why I don't read the thread :( At least now I've earned my Wildcards tag in true fashion, I suppose.

That really sucks, though. Waiting for the HCs is gonna be a bitch and a half.

Shane's been dead since the first trade. I think you mean Carl.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

First of all, what you're describing is a feeling that your bored or don't connect with these situations, not that they're "outdated." It's not like people in the 70's were more likely to crack under pressure or do dumb things in horror movies than people are today. Date has nothing to do with it.

Secondly, I think the series does a great job of alternating between other people and the zombies being the biggest threat. Every time it seems like they're safe, some outside force screws it up for them (though bad decision making can play a role in it, it's never your typical scary movie "don't open the door you goddamn idiot" kind of stupidity), whether that's another group of people or the zombies themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is that the danger never feels forced. It's never that typical zombie movie moment where someone freaks out and tears down the barricade or starts killing the other people there right before the zombies come to finish the job. It has always felt organic to me as I've been reading the series almost since it started (I think I have all but the first 15 or so issues in single issue format because I've been reading it monthly).

Rick wants to steal the guns because he doesn't trust these people. He's had to rely on himself for too long to believe that this random group of strangers can be entrusted with the safety of himself, his son, and the group that has become his surrogate family.

If you haven't been reading the series up to this point, you definitely don't want to start with a random issue. Hell, just knowing who is alive now and who isn't is a huuuuge spoiler that will ruin some of the great "HOLY poo poo" moments in the series. If you have some interest in it, pick up the first trade. It's cheap and there are a million copies out there thanks to the TV series starting up later today. If you like it, buy the second book. If you don't, then don't. Read until it is no longer enjoyable or you catch up, whichever comes first.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The tv show has brought people out of the woodwork who won't read the comics because they're in black and white. What the he'll does that even mean? I actually prefer black and white a lot of the time and the thought of someone's brain making that connection baffles me. I actually think the comic works best without lovely computer coloring ruining the great mood Moore and Adlard have managed to fill the pages of this series with.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 7, 2010

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

choobs posted:

These are the same people that won't watch Raging Bull because it's in black and white.

Or, perhaps even more accurately: They're people who will only listen to music with sampling and computer generated beats because IT'S 2010 GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That isn't how I saw the scenes with Shane and Lori at all, but I suppose if you didn't see any of the conflict she had, it would come across that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

She seemed pretty uncomfortable to me, but maybe I'm adding my own thoughts to it.

• Locked thread