Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Walking Dead is a mixed bag to me. At first, I liked it. Then i realized it really seemed to tunnel vision in on Rick, Glenn and Michonne. Now it's Rick, Carl and Abe. I liked the side characters (like those conversations between Hershel and Axel in the prison), but it's not that suspenseful when you can pretty much figure who's zombie bait and who's not.

Also, no matter how many times Rick hears someone's depressing backstory, he always has this look of abject horror on his face. it's ridiculous. You think after the nth 'zombies ate my daughters!' story, he'd get desensitized to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Coolness Averted posted:

I hardly think Rick's been untouchable, and there certainly shouldn't be the idea that he is. I just think it'll be a little hard to kill him off without ending the story and starting a spin off.

I think there are a few strong-enough contenders in the cast (basically just Michonne, and Abe, maybe Andrea) that have enough gumption that if Rick does get killed off, the book would still have enough steam to keep going. That and, it would be an interesting premise, to see how the group deals with the loss of 'leader-type' support that they've gotten so used to.

Then again, thinking back to the 'no one is safe' teasers from the end of the prison storyline, you could clearly tell that it was really 'No one is safe (except Rick, of course!)'

The more minor characters would need to be built up a bit more for a Rick-removal to work. Too many of them are flat-yet-likeable, like Morgan 'My son died and I'm kah-razy with grief, but don't expect me to pop up in more than two panels an issue!'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

-Blackadder- posted:

That's a pretty common theme in Zombie media and is probably metaphorical. Thinking about all the undead/zombie films etc I've ever seen, it's almost always a group forming a somewhat stable, safe environment that's walled off/protected from the zombies and then internal conflict within group eventually allows a breach in the perimeter at which point the zombies get in and it's pretty much every man for himself.

On another note I was recently rereading the entire series and noted that a few of the Woodbury people made it into the prison after everything goes to hell. Some where down the line I hope Kirkman will revisit that area just so we can see what transpired after the battle. If they stayed and rebuilt the fences or whatever. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

I think it was implied that the Woodbury people all bought the farm at the end of that arc, when it has those exterior panels of the prison with the 'BLAM BLAM' sound effects turning into 'klik klik' ones.

Anyone want to spoil the latest issue for me? And is Morgan actually doing anything? After they picked him up, it seems like he doeasn't do anything and they don't even feature him in group shots. Which means he's most likely (as far as I'm concerned)to die next.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lurdiak posted:

I've been re-reading the comic, I gotta say kirkman seems to entirely forget about some of his characters sometimes, as they won't appear at all in an entire issue. Basically if he starts reminding us a totally forgettable character exists it's only because they're about to die.

The twins and their parents are perfect examples of this. What do they do for the entire comic except die?

Toward the end of the prison arc, when Billy was suddenly 'the second best shot' they had in the group, it was like a big flashing 'this dude is gonna die so hard' over his head.

Granted, with the cast being rather big, some characters will be bound to not get as much page time, but it would be nice if Kirkman tried to focus more on some of the lesser characters more rather than 'Rick, Carl, Andrea... and a few black guys or something.'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Haven't been keeping up with my Walking Dead reading, but from reading Whargoul's spoilered post, is it right for me to assume Rosita, Glenn, Gabriel, and Eugene all died, aside from the one character he mentioned?

Any time he has these 'anyone can die' issues, it's always pretty much a bore, because aside from one, maybe two, 'shocking' deaths, he generally just cleans out all the secondary characters.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Whargoul posted:

None of the people from your spoiler died yet. I was just saying what I would want the cast to be if Kirkman does another culling of the cast like the upcoming covers suggest.

Ahh, gotcha, looking back, I misread your original post somehow. But like I said, given how Kirkman tends to run his cast reducing arcs, that seems extremely likely those one's will die, so I figured it happened already.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Caught up on my issues, and seriously, what the gently caress?

Really, I thought Morgan was going to do so much more when they brought him back into the book. Certainly Kirkman didn't just bring him back for him to be semi-crazy background fodder and throw him in there to add to the death count! There's got to be an ace up Kirkman's sleeve!

...Oh.

I thought the whole 'Morgan knows Carl's secret' subplot a while back was interesting, but it seemed like it got dropped immediately. Sure, I guess that's the point of this book, anyone can go at any time even before their characters get a chance to be fleshed out, or before plots can get resolved, but it just seems so very formulaic now. 'Phew, we're safe. Oh no we're not safe! poo poo zombies ate all our background guys and b-list characters A, C, and G!' Anyone else finding themselves less enthused about the book these days?

What's going on with the cleaning house isn't all that shocking, but I admit I didn't see [har har] the Carl plot twist coming.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, that was just pants-on-the-floor stupid.

I haven't really been a fan of this arc or the Negan character, but that ending seemed out of nowhere. And not in a 'I am shocked! Kirkman just blew my mind!' kinda way.

I'd laugh if next issue it turns out that the whole ending of this issue was just one big messed up fever dream that one of the infected guys is having.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dumb. I mean I figured it wasn't going to be a last-second 'wipe out all the b-listers (and maybe a couple A- guys)' thing like the prison fight, but eh.

I would have preferred *anything* else. Even a 'Oh, hey, let's get you some medical attention... whoops, can't because you killed our doctor, d-bag.'

Next issue's a double, right? I sure hope every panel is just a succession of everybody calling Rick a moron.

'Woah, hey guys, I know this whole mess got your friend/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/dad/leg/tiger killed, but I'm Rick, sooooo...'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh yeah he will be escaping and destroying poo poo. I half expect That there will be a mass slaughter and we start to follow the new group.
Also can someone post a panel of how Carl looks, its pretty hilarious?

Here ya go. This is also a good example of why I dislike Adlard's art. Carl looks like a middle-aged woman.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

Although... man, Rosita was pregnant. :smith:

I know they always tout that no one is safe, and something might take you out.

But yeah Rosita being beheaded was just... eh. That storyline of Rosita cheating on Eugene, then them deciding to raise it as his own went nowhere.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

boom boom boom posted:

this looks awesome

I'm guessing it's supposed to be his belt, but the guy painting looks like he's sporting some serious plumber's crack.

Agreed with you bango skank. A lot of times I feel Kirkman could condense a lot of his scenes and actually devote pages to characters that don't get a heck of a lot of screen time. Instead the whole comic was basically pissed off, grieving kid hates Rick.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

teagone posted:

I finally just started reading the trades maybe a week ago or so. Currently starting Volume 14 and drat, I wish the AMC show was as good as these books.

[edit] And now I'm all caught up. Negan is the best.

Eh, both Kirkman and the show seem to have the same issue of 'Hello, I'm a generally unused character, I'd like to be important now. Whoops, I died!'

Non-spoiler examples (since they came out long enough ago) from the comics being Allen and Billy in the prison arc. More recent arcs, (spoilering just in case people aren't caught up on All Out War, or the current plot) Nicholas, Eric, Rosita, and most recently Gabriel. Seriously, 'I want to learn how to fight' *Procedes to panic, fall off guard tower, get stabbed and eaten*

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cactus posted:

It's a little frustrating in that it's such an easy thing to fix.

Like, just write the character development stuff for your characters anyway regardless of whether they're dying soon or not. Then, if and when the time comes for a character to die, the legwork is done, and the dramatic death scene is already earned. No need to shoehorn last-minute character development in now!

I mean, it sounds so obvious I don't understand why he doesn't; he's proven he can do character development - because he does it every time someone is about to die!

Kirkman, why you no do the simple thing I just described, that people have been saying you should do for years and makes perfect sense and would improve your stories immensely? Why?

In both the comic and the TV show, one way it was done pretty well was with the character of Jim. It's early on enough that even though he doesn't say much, you know the guy is damaged for some reason. Sure, you only really get the gist of why right around the time he gets bitten, but it's still kind of a gut-punch when he's like 'nah, just leave me here to turn, maybe I'll find my family again'. As both go on, you get things like 'Oh, Billy's our second best shot!' to shoehorn him into a big role in the prison battle before he's a 'gently caress everything' moment for Hershel, or in the show, like Axel just chills out in the background, finally starts opening up to Carol, them boom, headshot.

At least the comics don't really have the trend of after a character dies, other characters are suddenly like 'Wow, I wish so-and-so with no screen time hadn't died. He was the greatest. Please viewers, be convinced there was some gravity to his demise, and that you should give a plop that they're gone'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cactus posted:

Haha, even with your description I still can't for the life of me remember who Jimmy is. I guess that's a side effect of how long it takes for comics to come out.

Incidentally - and this wasn't originally intended as a snarky troll-bait question, more of a "why are comics the way they are?" thing - why exactly does it take so long for these (or any) comics to come out? Especially these ones which aren't even loving coloured in. It's about 20-30 pages of lovely drawings and about a side of A4 or two's worth of written content. Why does it take a loving month or two for one of these to get done? When you look at the end result it isn't anything that can't be knocked out in a couple of days tops if minds were put to the task.*

Ok maybe an amount of snark was intended there, granted. But still, wha'tha gently caress?

I saw the latest issue was the first of a 6-parter. Guess I'll be back in a year or so when that's done to read it in an otherwise boring half-hour...

*This was your latest "guy who knows gently caress all about the medium who watches the lovely tv show comes windmilling in here asking the same loving questions everyone who dips their feet into comics asks" post. It was mostly posted in good faith though because I genuinely want to know the source of this frustration I'm feeling.

Well, Jim went out when Tony Moore was still the artist, so I don't blame you for forgetting. Got bit when zombies swarmed the original camp. Wanderer's right about publishing time and all, but I also guess Adlard and Kirkman have to touch base to see if anyone needs to be killed off/disfigured to keep some of his characters from looking completely loving identical.

• Locked thread