Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been re-reading the comic, I gotta say kirkman seems to entirely forget about some of his characters sometimes, as they won't appear at all in an entire issue. Basically if he starts reminding us a totally forgettable character exists it's only because they're about to die.

The twins and their parents are perfect examples of this. What do they do for the entire comic except die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is probably a billion years too late to even talk about this but I think the series would suffer a lot less from "who the gently caress is that guy" and "I totally forgot about that guy" if Adler was better at drawing faces. Like the guy's not an awful artist but everyone's faces are just kind of indistinct messes in half the panels. It's not quite on the level of someone like Steve Dillon who can pretty much only draw one face, but in a comic with a huge cast, no colors and muted character designs (no one wears a mask or has a hippo-head for a face) it can get pretty darn troublesome telling people apart.

Of course Kirkman is pretty bad at remembering his own cast himself, focusing wayyy too heavily on the central characters most of the time. Like about half the character deaths in the comic seem to happen to characters who haven't done anything for 8 issues or so, like he went "oh poo poo I totally forgot this character existed, better kill them off before I forget about them again". I also wish he'd stop teasing that he's going to kill Rick because he so isn't. He's made no effort to build up anyone else as anything close to a protagonist, I'm not sure how the story could even keep going without Rick.

But ah, I bitch, but I still read every issue. I just love the idea of a traditional zombie film that never truly ends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eh, those are Sell By dates aren't they? They've still got a bit more time before it gets truly inedible. I mean it's a problem that's looming on the horizon for sure, but I don't think I'd be too picky about slightly green ravioli if I was living in post-apocalyptia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

We've also only seen a relatively small part of the Walking Dead "universe."

It'd be pretty funny if the rest of the country is mostly enclaves of survivors watched over by military crews and Rick's group just didn't find out about it.

It's kinda like how in Fallout, there's always the possibility that the US is the only place that's a post-apocalyptic shithole, and the rest of the world is fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

If you go deeper into the lore, especially with the Bible, the that's not really likely. The world is pretty much inhabitable for the first few years or so after the bombs fall.

I've heard conflicting accounts from different people who worked on different games in the series, so I'll just keep imagining it as a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Negan was just The Governor but more drawn-out. This book's been out of ideas for a while.

• Locked thread