Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here's why you should be reading this...
The Walking Dead is a monthly book published by Image, written by Robert Kirkman and drawn mostly by Charlie Adlard (Tony Moore was the original artist). It has a 100+ issues.

The premise is that a Kentucky police officer wakes up in the hospital to find himself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. From there, the book hits a lot of familiar notes often found in zombie fiction. There is little focus on the macro. Society has collapsed, but we don't get the specifics of how that went down. Instead we focus on a relatively small group of survivors and slowly learn—as in most zombie fiction—that the real threat is man's inhumanity to man.

What makes this book special is its format more than anything else. Being a comic book with no end in sight, Kirkman is able to really show the characters grow, form a real group, and how they survive. It's really what zombie fans have always asked for.

More than that though, it's a pretty well done book. Similar to Kirkman's other major work at Image, Invincible, the characters start off relatively bland, but develop as the book goes on. The pacing is a tad slow at the start, but it reads nicely in trades, and picks up as it goes on.

If you're a zombie fan then I assure you that you'd probably like this book to a point. It's definitely best to start from the beginning. The book is collected in different formats that you can browse on amazon. Earlier this year, a compendium collecting the first forty-eight issues was released. It might be the best bang for your buck.

As a warning, there is definitely a point in which a lot of people become worn out by the book. I wish there was a good point to stop reading, but there really isn't a moment that could really work as an ending. Beyond that, Kirkman shows no sign of ending it. I still think most of the comic is worth reading, but prepare for disappointment at some point.

If you haven't then read the book before reading the rest of the thread because there are going to be spoilers...

Where We Left Off
The prison, but a gated community and then another gated community. The governor, but better. A bunch of people died, but not Rick and Carl. Time jump.

The Walking Dead TV Series
AMC airs the Walking Dead TV series. I don't like it, but it's very popular. Really, I feel like it just accentuates quirks of Kirkman's writing instead of trying to iron them out.

Here is the thread to talk about if you read the comic. Here is the thread if you haven't.

There is also a video game
It's being published by Telltale. It's a point-and-click adventure game with a good deal of dialogue choices that shape the story of the game.

It's actually very good. So far, it aims less for the realism of the comics and feels a bit more pulpy. That's fine though. The characters are pretty great including a child character that is not horribly annoying. They ending of the last episode proved that they're also willing to be as horrific as the comic.

For folks bored with the comic, it's a good choice. It starts with a mostly new cast of characters from day-one of the outbreak.

Here is the thread to discuss that.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You know what, I'm just withdrawing that comment from the OP in order to not derail the thread.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They're also going to Washington out of the hope that it's actually been well fortified and protected from the zombies. I think Abraham allegedly had contact with military buddies that suggested this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Caufman posted:

I have no idea why, but it has always bothered me that we don't know any of the last names of the characters except the Greene family.
That's not accurate. Rick's last name is Grimes, as is the rest of his family. Abraham's last name is Ford. Rosita's last name is Espinosa. Eugene's last name is Porter. Gabriel's last name is Stokes. Morgan's last name is Jones.

As for the series changing directions, I really hope that Washington DC has been protected. It would be interesting to see the gang living in a relatively small urban area under military control.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For those wondering about the timeline, Kirkman addressed it in the letter page. It's been a year. It started in the fall and now it's the fall again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The prison stuff reads really well in trades, but it's a little trickier in single issues where there isn't a ton of dramatic action happening issue from issue.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 27, 2009

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
On the issue of Walking Dead, I'm pretty sure that the gay couple is on the level and the gang is going to gently caress themselves out of being let into the community. If not that then I hope they're not overtly evil rapist cannibals.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really doubt it would happen, but it would be interesting if the group was segmented. Like half ended up at the commune and half stayed on the road. It would help give some variety to the type of stories Kirkman gets to tell.

I think that Kirkman's probably going to stick with just following Rick and Carl. It would be nice if he could branch off. Glenn's and his family don't get enough attention.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm calling it that the sort of guards/protection that the community has is kind of corrupt, or takes advantage of their position of power. They're not overtly evil, but the community lets them be assholes in the name of the greater good. Either that, or the community is good, but Carl shoots someone and him and Rick get kicked out. I don't know, maybe we should start a pool on this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teekun posted:

I'm having a really hard time believing that an entire organized community has existed for this long and nobody thought to have a lookout of any sort.

Something isn't adding up and it's either the townspeople or Kirkman's writing.
Well, their gate is apparently pretty sturdy and they do have some security. I could see them thinking that would be enough. Especially since there's also not that much indication that they've dealt with roaming rape and cannibal gangs, serial killers, or something like Woodbury.

EDIT: Updated the OP a bit.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2010

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

picosecond posted:

Question: What's the internal time frame here? The comic's been running for about 6 years, but how much time has passed in the story? I kinda get the feeling that it's been a year since #1's events, but that just doesn't seem right somehow.
The comic started in the fall and it's the fall again. So, it's been somewhere between 12-14 months

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly often forget that Rosita, Eugene, Sofia, and Gabriel exist. Now would be a really good time to take an issue or two to pull focus away from Carl, Rick, Abraham, Michonne, and Andrea.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's monthly, but usually a little off regarding when in the month it drops and sometimes he does miss a month.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Trivial Fursuit posted:

Yeah, that part was intense, but he wasn't the character I was thinking of.

The person I was thinking of was Shane :blush: I'm terrible with names.
You're still off. They find out that you don't need to be bitten to become a zombie after Julie (Tyrese's daughter who was shot by her boyfriend in a failed suicide pact) reanimated. Then Rick realized that the buried Shane had probably reanimated, rode off, dug him up, and did the decent thing.

What's funny is that I can't imagine Rick really bothering, or caring about that anymore.

EDIT: Dale did prove that being bitten does not mean a one way ticket to zombieville.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Davincie posted:

I liked the new issue. But for being on the dumb squad that one guy did seem to notice a lot of things
The issue seemed to indicate that Douglas thinks with his cock, so we really can't take his judgment as being golden. With that said, I think things are going to go bad for Douglas before they go bad for the gang. Rick can already tell that his leadership is sub-par. His wife doesn't care for him. And his working class just got a strong and charismatic leader. I think a situation is going to arise where he asks the community to choose between him and Rick and the community is going to go with Rick.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Unless the characters become immortal, or what makes people zombies is cured, then every character will eventually die and become a zombie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Oh, by the way, for anyone who didn't read the letters, Kirkman admitted that it's entirely retarded that the characters haven't been able to figure out the exact date and time from devices like electric clocks/watches and presumably computers.

EDIT: Actually, going on from this, wouldn't there still be at least some computers with still working internet connections?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 24, 2010

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why's that even matter though? Are they late for a meeting?
It's just a point that Kirkman has brought up a couple of times that the gang finds sad.

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Explain your reasoning, show all working.
It was an actual question.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was actually expecting Gabriel to think that God's plan was for him to murder the whole town like he essentially did with his old parish. It somehow makes him less of a cock than what he pulled in the last issue.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Rick going insane was a little weird. I still thought that he had a valid point. That woman was going through hell and I can see his point about how it is naive to expect the doctor's bullshit to be limited to his family. Also, it's very fair for Rick to be incredibly pissed off at a guy that got to keep his wife and treats her like poo poo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if it was or not. I didn't want to go through the thread cause I saw the first post had a bunch of unmarked spoilers. :shobon:
Hey, I pretty much tell you in the first post to stop reading because there are going to be spoilers.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really don't think people are being fair to Rick. The doctor was a cock and when Rick asked to have him dealt with, he was denied by the government. Douglas' story was extra retarded.

DOUGLAS: Once someone used his power in the community to do bad things and then I killed him.
RICK: So... your point is that I did the right thing by attacking the other guy that was using his power in the community to do bad things?
DOUGLAS: No, Rick, you're the one who's like the first guy, listen, don't make me kill you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

drkhrs2020 posted:

This comic is really fascinating, but I'm waiting for someone to touch on the fact that they are scavenging from the world around them to survive, which is pretty untenable for long term survival. Everything is focused on short term currently, but I would love to see someone just make the connection and realize that the end is slowly coming.

I want to hear more about the rest of the world, but feel that it might break the flow of the series. I'm sure some island nations are doing fine. Like Cuba.
Didn't they start farming while in the prison?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, the group was kind of retarded for believing him in the first place.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Tony Moore is the original artist. It's probably because Walking Dead was always intended as a longterm investment that would've distracted Moore from other work.

Tony's definitely a better artist, but I think Charlie Adlard's mundane style is a better fit for the series than Moore's more stylized and exaggerated stuff from the early issues.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Subways Jared posted:

How is it possible, for a major artist, who has great experience dealing with monthly schedules, going to pull out, because all the sudden it's to much work? That's what I don't understand. It's not like the guy did not know what he was signing on for.
Tony Moore was twenty-four when he started Walking Dead and was not super prolific at the time. He also is buddies with Kirkman from 7th grade. They're buddies, they like working with each other, he was a young guy, and then found out he was biting off more than he could chew.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Regarding Lori and Shane, I think Kirkman did things a lot better. Shane and Lori are ultimately good people that made a mistake. Lori was able to try to move beyond it. Shane couldn't deal after Rick came back.

In the show, Shane is a sleazy misogynistic douche. His first exchange with Lori is him treating her like a child. I have no idea why Lori is attracted to him. You can make up some motivations for her, but those are irrelevant since the show doesn't present them.

I cannot over emphasize how much better the show would be if it exclusively focused on Rick and had his family being in the camp a twist for the third episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
AMC Presents What if... Stephen King Had Written The Walking Dead?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, there was some awful visual storytelling going on there. I mean, I get what went down, but it really took away a lot of the impact of what is kind of a big deal.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 5, 2010

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

choobs posted:

They're doing a Jurassic Park game right now, and that should have a lot of intensity and suspense. Hopefully they'll prove that they can do that sort of game well.
Adding on to this, they're looking towards Heavy Rain for inspiration regarding their Jurassic Park title.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I suggested that on the first page of this thing and still maintain that's what it should be called.
"Don't you get it? We're the Walking Thread!" should have been the title. I'm filled with eternal shame regarding that failure, and the fact that I've given up on this book.

I'd be happy to copy-paste a new OP up there if anybody wants to create one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've updated the OP, but once again, if someone wants to make a better and more in-depth one, I'll switch it out.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the issue was that Charlie messes up which hand is cut off pretty often. It's kind of an offensive sentiment since it's basically suggesting that it's a stupid idea to have a differently abled character.

Dacap posted:

If they kill Rick I'd like them to do a time jump to an adult Carl as the main protagonist
What's funny is that right now if you assume the world starts in 2003 then it's only 2005 or so in the comic. So, you could jump forward eight or nine years to present day and have a Carl in his early twenties.

Really the ideal situation is for everyone to die and Clementine just to walk into panel and be like, "Huh?" and move on with her story. Also, the comic is written by Sean Vanaman now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

moths posted:

I never noticed the absence of thought balloons before, and that's actually something innovative that TWD does. There's also no straight up expository text, which is pretty drat cool.
It's really not anything unique in comics and it would be cooler if Kirkman didn't often delve into long monologues of expositions and characters stating their feelings on the regular.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's kinda like how in Fallout, there's always the possibility that the US is the only place that's a post-apocalyptic shithole, and the rest of the world is fine.
If you go deeper into the lore, especially with the Bible, the that's not really likely. The world is pretty much inhabitable for the first few years or so after the bombs fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Bonzo posted:

For some reason I've assigned Bobby Hill's voice to Carl in my head while reading the last few issues.
Well now I can't stop imagining Hank Hill as Rick

• Locked thread