Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well partially thanks to this thread I just bought a 1978 Suzuki DS100 two stroke. Kind of an enduro looking thing and I guess at some point it had lights and possibly, currently it doesn't. Needs a new coil (old one had the boot ripped off) and a new throttle cable but other than that it looks pretty good.

Might see if I can find a coil off something else that will work then grab a throttle cable from one of the shops down here and get it running. It was spray painted black and looks pretty hideous but it should be a fun bike to mess around with. Not sure what the plans are for it at this point once its running.

New coil arrived the other day, installed it and it still wouldn't start. Pulled the carb apart and cleaned it...still no fire. Compression tested and while it was a bit low it wasn't low enough for it to not start. The plug looked like poo poo even though it was sparking. New plug and it fired on the first kick. Sounds pretty good and even idles nice. Need to decide if I want to run premix or determine if the oil pump is working and get it set correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
here is my 1950 BSA b33 - its a 500 single

ive had it for a few years now, and it was just an amazing deal that i couldent pass up. recently a friend bought a 74 cb750 and i got the riding bug so recently ive been working to get it running for the first time since 1968

i rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the tank and ive got it to pop a few times. im a bit anxious about ripping it apart fully but in a few weekends, i plan on taking it over to a friends place to go through it under the watchful eye of his dad whos been working on British bikes since the 50s.

but then again, i have the bug real bad- ive been on the lookout a few hondas - the gl1000 and the cb750s.

also...

138cc's of extremely dangerous bicycle action.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 4, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm still curious exactly how much of a steal that BSA was ;) Nice bikes, make a thread when you start the rebuild on it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm still curious exactly how much of a steal that BSA was ;) Nice bikes, make a thread when you start the rebuild on it.

it was all of 500 dollars. - ive been taking pictures of the work, so a thread should be coming soon

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

LobsterboyX posted:

it was all of 500 dollars. - ive been taking pictures of the work, so a thread should be coming soon

:argh:

Kickass bike. Looking forward to that thread.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Here's some updated pics of my 1975 Honda CB500T. For a first bike it's decent, but I'd really like something with a bit more oomph... The Brown Bomber is kinda slow on the uptake, given it's 43 horses and all.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The odometer has the actual miles, which is nice. I got it this past Feb or March with about 9500 on it, the rest is all me.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
found the mysterious short and mended the 50 year old plug lead wire and away we go!

lots of smoke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j35hI0znH4A

thread coming!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Old bikes are a blast. I've had a ton of the things, unfortunately I didn't take very many pics.

So a list!
Honda
CB350F x2
CB750 K4
CB550F
Triumph
T160
T120

Harley
Sprint

That's it that I can remember. Plus my current bike which misses the cut off date by 5 years. I've tried to get into newer stuff a few times but it's just so...reliable.
What fun is that?

Speaking of old bikes, anyone ever read Moto Retro Illustratedwww.motoretroillustrated.com ? Really cool magazine. By the same guy who did Motorcyclist Retro before it was binned by the publisher.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You had a Harley Sprint? Thats awesome! Something about a 2-stroke Harley is just horribly right.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, still have the Sprint actually. It's in PA with my other CB350, Vespa and all my parts. The strange thing about the Sprint is how big the drat thing is. Maybe it's because I'm not a dirt bike guy, the the thing made my 350F feel small. Plus, that weird forward facing jug. Odd bike all together. Fun though.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Old bikes are a blast. I've had a ton of the things, unfortunately I didn't take very many pics.

Did you just ride this Yesterday in Escondido? I parked next to a CB750 absolutely identical to yours and wanted to talk with the owner.

Adding to old Bike Love: None are mine, I just took photos at meets and shows.

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 15, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Did you just ride this Yesterday in Escondido? I parked next to a CB750 absolutely identical to yours and wanted to talk with the owner.

No, I did sell it to a guy up north someplace. That is a 350F though, not a 750.

constant gulping
Sep 22, 2005

Relax!
Here is my 1971 BMW R60/5

This is shortly after I got it.

I am slowly starting to replace all the worn out tidbits and cosmetic things. So far I have done the following; New starter, coils, electronic ignition, plugs/plug wires, tank, speedometer/tach, tires, changed to a mikuni carb kit, euro bars, bar end mirrors, clutch and throttle controls and cables, that's all I can remember right now. I still want to find some 750 cylinders and heads to give it a little more power, hopefully this winter I'll tear into that. It's quite them money pit, but I really enjoy it.

As it sits now (with some new reproduction Krauser bags)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

constant gulping posted:

Here is my 1971 BMW R60/5

A family friend has an old R80 and those old boxers make wonderful noises. Like the tiniest little tractor at idle. :3:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally started putting the bike back together. Here are some pics of the frame back together and the tanks, I haven't picked them up yet though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Scrolling down I'm like, yeah, nice bike, but then I get to the tanks and they're way too garish for my taste.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

niethan posted:

Scrolling down I'm like, yeah, nice bike, but then I get to the tanks and they're way too garish for my taste.

I don't know, I think the paint is awesome in the same sort of way the set of the Price is Right is awesome.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
For the bike, I think the paint is quite appropriate. 70's paint for a 70's bike. It looks to be done well and should result in one of those bikes that outshines the checkbook choppers.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Gnomad posted:

For the bike, I think the paint is quite appropriate. 70's paint for a 70's bike. It looks to be done well and should result in one of those bikes that outshines the checkbook choppers.

Yeah thats definitely the point. The dual headlights are very 70s and the paint even more so. I originally wasn't even going to paint the tank, but I found a guy who does 70s style paint jobs and I was sold. He said that he ended up doing something like 8 coats of clear before the candy colors. Apparently you can't wet sand candy colors like you can normal paint.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Valt posted:

Apparently you can't wet sand candy colors like you can normal paint.

No you can't, which mean that after you put on the clear its rough as hell and you'll need to sand mountains of clear coat off to make it smooth.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

8ender posted:

No you can't, which mean that after you put on the clear its rough as hell and you'll need to sand mountains of clear coat off to make it smooth.

Well the way he made it sound was that he had to shoot a ton of clear and get it super smooth. Then shoot all the candy colors. But maybe I just don't understand how that process works.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright finally got my tanks back and set them on the bike. I also put all the other crap on the bike, it's only missing a few pieces now before it can run.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I have to admit, I wasn't originally a fan of the paint scheme, but it works really well on that bike.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wrap dem pipes

Also, peanut tank and at least 60* rake and 5 foot fork.

(but seriously, I'd like to see more when it's done.)

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D
1929 Norton 16H

Ill try get some better pictures once her new piston is completed.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

tofufish posted:

1929 Norton 16H

I like that your bike has a built in label.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Mostly posted a while back in the main thread but...

My 1971 BMW R75/5 (temporarily out of commission while waiting on parts after my accident)

My 1965 Honda CA77 Dream 305 (what I usually commute on)

Projects:

A pair of 1972 CB350s

And we just picked up a this 1970 CB350 at an auction:

And here my girlfriend on her monster 1973 CB750 (all the guys usually go nuts over her bike):

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Thats a nice looking CB750 she has. I like the very original looking paint on the tank.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

helno posted:

Thats a nice looking CB750 she has. I like the very original looking paint on the tank.

It's the awesome Candy Buccus Olive color, here's a big pic where you can see the color:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

cheesebot posted:

And here my girlfriend on her monster 1973 CB750 (all the guys usually go nuts over her bike):

I'm really enjoying the pink/dayglo gear.

Beautiful bikes

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

ohwandernearer posted:

I like that your bike has a built in label.

Its not stock, originally license plates used to sit there. My 1954 Norton ES2 has something similar.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tofufish posted:

1929 Norton 16H

Why's that card say OIL? To remind you to replace what leaked out while parked/riding? :v:

drat nice bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

Why's that card say OIL? To remind you to replace what leaked out while parked/riding? :v:

drat nice bike.

I do that when I'm not going to touch a bike for a long time and it has some big dealbreaker (like oil) missing from it, so I dont find out the hard way that its missing oil later on.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I do that when I'm not going to touch a bike for a long time and it has some big dealbreaker (like oil) missing from it, so I dont find out the hard way that its missing oil later on.

I should start to do this because I almost killed my YS3 one winter when it was a clear day and I forgot that it likes to leak oil.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Does anyone here know anything about Honda Trail 90s? My father bought two of them eight years ago or so, and restored one to barely working condition. It's been sitting in a shed for a few years, so it probably needs fluids changed to run again. The other one had been sitting outside before we got it, and is currently resting in pieces in our garage.

He keeps talking about junking the both of them to clear out space, so I ask: is it worth restoring them? Can they be street legal? Is it worth the trouble to part them out?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Does anyone here know anything about Honda Trail 90s? My father bought two of them eight years ago or so, and restored one to barely working condition. It's been sitting in a shed for a few years, so it probably needs fluids changed to run again. The other one had been sitting outside before we got it, and is currently resting in pieces in our garage.

He keeps talking about junking the both of them to clear out space, so I ask: is it worth restoring them? Can they be street legal? Is it worth the trouble to part them out?

My first bike was a Trail 90. It is a capable machine, it will never go very fast but will go literally anywhere.
They are street legal and if they aren't too far gone, worth fixing. Parts are available and if a guy could find a Chinese knockoff motor it would be close to plug and play. If I stumble across a cheap one I plan to grab it. You'd be surprised at the money they fetch.

SiB
May 6, 2005
1973 Yamaha TX500

4000 miles, was parked for 20 years, original everything including paint.

Here is the actual bike http://bikepics.com/pictures/1005739/

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

SiB posted:

1973 Yamaha TX500

That's pretty sweet, happy new year to you! :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

SiB posted:

1973 Yamaha TX500

Here is the actual bike http://bikepics.com/pictures/1005739/

Very nice. 20 years? If its anything like my YDS3 its going to make a great noise when you get it started for the first time. Mine shot flames out the tailpipes :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coasterphreak posted:

YES, they are definitely worth restoring. Trail 90's are pretty special bikes from an era where Hondas were absolutely changing the game.

Definitely worth it.

• Locked thread