Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Coasterphreak posted:

Does anyone here know anything about Honda Trail 90s? My father bought two of them eight years ago or so, and restored one to barely working condition. It's been sitting in a shed for a few years, so it probably needs fluids changed to run again. The other one had been sitting outside before we got it, and is currently resting in pieces in our garage.

He keeps talking about junking the both of them to clear out space, so I ask: is it worth restoring them? Can they be street legal? Is it worth the trouble to part them out?

I love Trail 90s and they are only rising in value. They also made them for quite a while and made a lot of them, but they really are a great city vehicle that pretty much can go anywhere it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research today, and it turns out they're both 1969 K1 models, at least if I go by the serial number on the frames. I talked to my father today, and when/if the time presents itself, we're probably going to clean up the (maybe) running bike, and part out everything that's not rusted to poo poo on the other one.

If there's some (any) degree of interest, I'd be willing to post pictures and/or start a project thread, although I'd really only be able to work on the bikes in between keeping my shitbox 92 Accord running (which really is starting to deserve a thread of its own at this point).

Edit, so as not to double post: So it seems I have what are actually K1B models in each color produced, red (running) and yellow (in pieces).

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 2, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coasterphreak posted:

Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research today, and it turns out they're both 1969 K1 models, at least if I go by the serial number on the frames. I talked to my father today, and when/if the time presents itself, we're probably going to clean up the (maybe) running bike, and part out everything that's not rusted to poo poo on the other one.

If there's some (any) degree of interest, I'd be willing to post pictures and/or start a project thread, although I'd really only be able to work on the bikes in between keeping my shitbox 92 Accord running (which really is starting to deserve a thread of its own at this point).

Hell yeah post a thread if you get them running...more project threads are always good.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Some progress has been made on the KZ1000 Z1R, although the shop is getting a bit tight. I'll be kicking some bikes out for a bit, the DopeFiend is going to be there for a while, dammit!

First, the bike-1978 KZ1000 Z1R, in reasonably complete but neglected condition.

Step 1, a strip to the frame.

I'm not sure if the gnome is making a statement about Kawasakii or if he needs more fiber in his diet.

After working with some of my favorite strippers, I have a naked tank, ready to slap some bondo.

The time remaining is until Decmember 21st, 2012. Add a "1" to the number for a few months. Hard to believe that my shop filled up with crap so quickly, dammit!

Little shop of horrors

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I posted this last spring in the show off your bike thread:

1974 Suzuki TS185L. It had a fuckton of electrical problems that I mostly got sorted out. Hopefully I'll have it back running by the end of winter.

$150, another $150 in it in parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I posted this last spring in the show off your bike thread:

1974 Suzuki TS185L. It had a fuckton of electrical problems that I mostly got sorted out. Hopefully I'll have it back running by the end of winter.

$150, another $150 in it in parts.

I had a TS185 when I was around 14. Was a fun bike, mine was dirt only, so it didnt matter that none of the electrics worked.

Watch the oil pump, mine went, and she seized on me. Although I'm almost ready to call mine a lemon because I've had so so much good luck with Suzuki oil pumps of that vintage in other bikes. I've never seen another one die.

For the love of God, if the oil pump does go on you, replace it, dont run premix.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

tofufish posted:

1929 Norton 16H

Ill try get some better pictures once her new piston is completed.
Beautiful bike. If I had any mechanical sense i would love something like this.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Progress has been made on the KZ1000. I've been stripping, sanding and filling as needed, and ended up with this

Final prep. The rust remover/metal prep is a fancy brand of phosporic acid, which dissolves any leftover rust and etched the bare metal to better prepare it for priming. The 409 is to clean and degrease the plastic parts. At this stage, you should be wearing gloves to keep any skin oil off of the clean surfaces. Fish eyes are bad, mmm'kay?

First coat of primer/surfacer. After this dries for a couple of days, I'll wet sand it to a 400 grit, use some sealer and a topcoat, and clear over all of that. I plan to use Auto-Air colors and will be using the Eddie Lawson Replica as a model for the finished paint.

You have to disassemble and clean any spray gun you plan to use again immediately after use. Don't ask me how I know this. The real fun is after the clear coat. It can be hard to determine if the gun is clean all the way when the "paint" is clear and can't really be seen.

I'm using DuPont Nason branded paint. It is far better than NAPA Martin-Senour crap but the price is still reasonable. I spent $100 on primer, topcoat and clear for my FZ1 and will have plenty of the primer and clear to do the Kawi. Auto-Air paint is water based and inexpensive, although more work to use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

and will be using the Eddie Lawson Replica as a model for the finished paint.

:hellyeah:

I need to get a paint gun. :sigh:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
What kind of compressor(tank size, l/m) do you use gnomad? I'd love to get a nice setup for painting/blasting/rattlegunning, but after i price it all up its just way way cheaper to get the stuff I need to do done professionally.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Dubs posted:

What kind of compressor(tank size, l/m) do you use gnomad? I'd love to get a nice setup for painting/blasting/rattlegunning, but after i price it all up its just way way cheaper to get the stuff I need to do done professionally.

My compressor is a 4HP 13 gallon tank. I'm actually needing an upgrade-the new gun I'm using, which is an HVLP, uses more air volume than my setup can deliver easily. It also seems to be dying on me-the motor kicked on really slowly a couple times, one time it locked up and blew the circuit breaker, I was lucky to finish up this evening. That would have pissed me off-once the paint is mixed, it has to be used as it sets up anyway. It did hold up for 10 years of hard use so I can't bitch too much.

HVLP spray guns are worth the upgrade though. There is so little overspray. Siphon fed guns blow an astounding amount of your paint all over, the waste is ridiculous.
I originally bought the compressor to paint a Jeep CJ7 that my son and I rebuilt and put a fiberglass body on, locally paint jobs start at $1000 and go up from there. The compressor was a couple hundred, paint gun $50, paint was $200, so it paid for itself on the first project.

I guess if you don't need it done a lot, it might be better to pay someone else, and painting your own stuff is really time intensive.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I'm in the process of getting my oft-sworn at 1975 Honda CB500T back in running order before the season hits and need to replace my air filters. However, the stock cans were rendered obsolete many, many moons ago and I'm caught in the position of having to pick up a set of NOS air filters and keep the stock air boxes or switch to Uni or K&N clamp on pods and take the boxes off.

After spending all morning scouring the internet looking for suitable replacements, I managed to find a set of NOS filters at a Honda dealer in PA for $75. This is better than every 'NOS specialty' site I crossed (they were asking over $68 just for the left filter), but still more than I'd really like to pay. Uni Filters sells a 'OEM replacement', but after getting the dimensions I don't believe it'll fit in the air box without being scrunched up or folded.

I'd like to keep the air boxes and side covers on the bike simply for aesthetics, since it IS a vintage bike and is in good shape for being 35 years old. Do any of you have the same issues when looking for parts?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Try cleaning your existing filters in naptha (camp stove gas) first. If they're paper and not too worn it work pretty well. Otherwise do what I did for my YDS3 and rip the paper out and glue some UNI foam around the metal. The foam will flow air better so take that into account.

I havent been able to find an OEM filter for my YDS3 in two years of searching :(

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

8ender posted:

Try cleaning your existing filters in naptha (camp stove gas) first. If they're paper and not too worn it work pretty well. Otherwise do what I did for my YDS3 and rip the paper out and glue some UNI foam around the metal. The foam will flow air better so take that into account.

I havent been able to find an OEM filter for my YDS3 in two years of searching :(

The 'filters' on the bike now are the cans from an old set with nylon stockings duct taped around the opening. The previous owner decided 'that was better than the actual stock filters'. The cans are too beat up to try relining them. They twist horribly when I try to insert/remove them, so I'm guessing that the PO ripped out some kind of structural pieces when doing his 'repair'.

It turns out that the UNI filters I mentioned earlier actually DO fit in the stock air box, I had my measurements wrong. I'm going to go that route since $30 for the kit is a hell of a lot better than $75.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I upgraded my compressor to a 33 gallon upright monster, which I promptly tried to tip over on me and the other stuff in the shop-those units are a bit top heavy, just so you know.

It made painting these parts a lot less frustrating. I didn't swear once. My, what a difference!

It's the closest color I could find to the typical Team Green green sheen. Next, appropriate white and blue stripes and clear coat. Oh yeah, and I sanded through the primer on the tank, it wouldn't be a painting project if I didn't sand through on at least one piece. It's almost as much fun as sanding through the clear coat when color sanding.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Closer to the goal. I lost a day to having to repaint the spots on the tank that I sanded through. Oh yeah, the tank-

I ran out of the lime green and have to make a run to the Big City for another bottle. Lame. The other tank is from a CB400 that is another project, I'm thinking bobber. That particular CB400 came to me free, I'm working on the title, and need an engine. I'm actually thinking of this one-

http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-200cc-5-spd-engine-motor-motorcycle-dirt-bike2005.html

Pushrod 200cc single, which would make a nice little bobber thumper, and it's cheap. OTOH, it's Chinese, allegedly the Lifan is a better quality motor, but still.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 11, 2010

flyingbuttbiter
Sep 22, 2003

by toby
Bury that tank on the right in a mud bog. Pick it up in a year.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
I'm looking at a CB350 from '72 with around 13,000 miles on it, the owner says there's some light rust in the tank as well as the frame, but otherwise it's good to go (passed inspection last year). I'm going to go look at it this weekend, is there anything in particular I should look for? Some things I should do to appear mechanically inclined and knowledgeable about the bike?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Yeticopter posted:

I'm looking at a CB350 from '72 with around 13,000 miles on it, the owner says there's some light rust in the tank as well as the frame, but otherwise it's good to go (passed inspection last year). I'm going to go look at it this weekend, is there anything in particular I should look for? Some things I should do to appear mechanically inclined and knowledgeable about the bike?

The Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide is what I studied up on when I was looking at rides.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnomad posted:

This is amazingly beautiful. Better looking than original Kawi colors, yet somehow more true to the ideal. Well loving done!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
And then I did the tank

I painted the frame using POR-15 "raw metal" color, it went disasterously. Runs, drips and uneven coloration. I am not amused. I'll let it go and consider it a primer coat, POR15 is alleged to be very tough and durable, I'm going with basic black as a topcoat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
egh, i'm surprised. i've used their tank sealer poo poo several times and was impressed.

that thing looks loving rad already, though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gnomad posted:

That particular CB400 came to me free, I'm working on the title, and need an engine. I'm actually thinking of this one-

http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-200cc-5-spd-engine-motor-motorcycle-dirt-bike2005.html

Pushrod 200cc single, which would make a nice little bobber thumper, and it's cheap. OTOH, it's Chinese, allegedly the Lifan is a better quality motor, but still.

I've had a problem with a leaky seal on mine(a hi-bird engine, but similar), and the gearbox feels lovely to me. Check the li-fan forums to see if there's similar problems.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That paint job looks fantastic, great job man; can't wait to see the bike finished.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnomad posted:

I painted the frame using POR-15 "raw metal" color, it went disasterously. Runs, drips and uneven coloration. I am not amused. I'll let it go and consider it a primer coat, POR15 is alleged to be very tough and durable, I'm going with basic black as a topcoat.

Are you giving the engine any love? I love the look of this:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm not sure-the bronze does look pretty nice in there though.
My engine covers are kind of bad anyway, the fins are beat down where the crash bars did their magic, they were a bit close, probably from crashing. I could file the fins down, and paint/powder coat as I see fit. Hmmmm, thanks for the idea.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
This was a project bike I owned for a while, brought up becuase it's turned up for sale again and God help me I'm thinking about it.

This bike-

A BSA 650 twin stuffed into a Yamaha XS500 frame, done by a fellow advrider Alaska inmate over the course of a winter as he decided to get out of the BSA scene entirely. He had one engine left, and a Yammy XS500 frame with a bad engine. Apparently, XS500's were an early Yamaha experiment with the use of balance shafts and most of them eventually coughed up the balancer through the crankcase. Tom put his leftovers together and came up with

and for the princely sum of $750 I owned me a FrankenBeezer. This was my introduction to the exaltation and despair of classic British twin ownership.

First thing was paint. I thought the original paint was bit drab.

Much better. Of course I couldn't leave it alone

so I added a seat from a Harley that I found at a second hand store, one of those things you buy cuz you know you'll need it someday...

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I really dig that. Looks cool. How does it ride?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

^^ I don't own this bike anymore, but it has come up on the market again.

entered the FrankenBeezer in a bike show

and as it turns out, it was a prize winning show bike after all!

I did fix that oil pressure guage

and then, I redid the bike again, this time as a cafe bike

How FrankenBeezer was this bike? Well, BSA 650 twin, Yamaha frame, Kawasaki switchgear, Ducati handlebars, and I used the Ducati body parts as molds for the front fender and seat. Honda mirror and JC Whitney mufflers chromed straight pipes. That's fairly a bitsa bike in the British tradition.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God, that thing is awesome. :swoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the heck did you register it as?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

What the heck did you register it as?

Registration follows the frame, as the vin is stamped. So it's just a vanilla yamaha to the DMV.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Actually, that bike was registered as a 1962 BSA, using the engine serial number. The builder got a title from one of the title agencies, getting a 1962 title solves a lot of technical and paperwork issues. Getting it insured was interesting. "BSA, what kind of Harley is a BSA?"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Actually, that bike was registered as a 1962 BSA, using the engine serial number. The builder got a title from one of the title agencies, getting a 1962 title solves a lot of technical and paperwork issues. Getting it insured was interesting. "BSA, what kind of Harley is a BSA?"

Interesting....but yeah, the older the bike the easier of a time you'll have, at least out here in CA.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I just added another pre-1980 bike to my collection. A Yamaha XS400 for my girlfriend. It badly needs a new set of points/condensers as it doesnt like to start.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I fear for your cam chain guide already. The XS400 I had still leaves a nasty nasty taste in my mouth.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Brought my KZ650 out of storage this weekend. When I put it away I did everything wrong. No stabil in the gas and no battery tender. Started first crank. Trusty bike. :unsmith:

I took it around the block and when I got back it started puking gas out of the overflows. Another ride around the block going over every bump I could find and the floats freed up. Finally when I was done at the end of the day the bike decided to piss fuel on itself out of the float boat gaskets. I love you cranky old KZ.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Nerobro posted:

I fear for your cam chain guide already. The XS400 I had still leaves a nasty nasty taste in my mouth.

It should be in good shape. This bike has only 7200 km on it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
One motor had 8,000 miles, the other with 5,000 miles. both dropped the cam chain guide and seized the crank against the lower crankcase half. But tha'ts not a SECA, so I may be feeding you bunk information.

I just won't touch anything that says XS400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've been steadily working on the Z1, finally got the frame painted acceptably, installed new head bearings to replace those hateful fistfull of balls that sneak off everywhere while you try to stick them to the races with gorilla snot. I am ready to start reassembling in earnest, but figure, as long as the engine is out of the frame why not check the valves now?

:ughh:

First I notice that when I turn the crank to T 1-4, the cam lobes don't seem to line up. Hmmmm, lets check the timing.

:ughh: :ughh:

According to the manual, which came with the bike, which means the DPO loving had it in his possesion!!!!! I find that the exhaust cam is off 1 tooth, and the intake cam is off a tooth on the opposite direction. The guy I bought it from said it ran, but really badly, the carbs must need a cleaning. And they may well need cleaning, I haven't got anywhere near there yet, and likely won't for a bit. When I timed the cams correctly and tensioned the chain, I found that most of the valves had 0.0mm clearance, one had .03 on a spec of .05 to .10, and one had all the clearance a guy could want. All righty then, I guess the head is coming off.

So, does anyone know a good sealer to use on a head gasket? I believe this clown used bathtub caulk.

Oh, and the horror show isn't done yet. Once of the cam caps has a nonstadard fastener

It appears to be a 1/4" NC stud. :ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

And when it seems that I cannot possibly abuse the palm/forehead interface any farther, I find why the one valve has so much clearance

The metal around the bucket is nicely cheewed up so the valve can't close all the way. My forehead is starting to chap from all of this facepalming. I pretty much gave up work on this tonight in favor of whining about it, and will go ahead and pull the jugs to check for further evidence that the engine was rebuilt by an illiterate housecat.

• Locked thread