Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Tamir Lenk posted:

Nice. What's an "anti-gravity battery"?

Also, are those just UNI foam filters over v-stacks?

No K&N pods?

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

Yeah, just universal foam filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well finally getting gear to have my long bike for a couple of chopper shows early next year. Still trying to fix the intake manifold for the webber carbs and the seat pan should be done soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Hells yeah! Now you speek-a my language.
I really wish I had time to work on any of my SOHC's

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Mmmhhhmmmm go on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Valt posted:

Well finally getting gear to have my long bike for a couple of chopper shows early next year. Still trying to fix the intake manifold for the webber carbs and the seat pan should be done soon.

Is the frame intentionally that horrible?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FORKS SO LONG MY FRONT WHEEL'S ALREADY IN STURGIS, BABY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No True Motorcyclist would say no to owning one ridiculous long chopper as part of the stable.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sagebrush posted:

No True Motorcyclist would say no to owning one ridiculous long chopper as part of the stable.

Thanks, true motorcyclist Sagebrush.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Maybe we should refer to him with that title whenever we refer to Sagebrush in the future?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
#notallsagebrushes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That thing is gonna be awesome.
My mustache just blossomed after seeing that picture.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That thing is gonna be awesome.
My mustache just blossomed after seeing that picture.

It is curious to move around. It doesn't flop to bad but you do have to be careful when turning very sharply.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Picked up my first bike, a '76 CB750.

Pulled the Vetter off as soon as I got it home (installed with hoseclamps, loving LAFFO) and need to pull the exhaust next so I can install my friends' hand-me-down Yoshimura pipe.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:stare:

You are honor bound to go full Bōsōzoku on that thing.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aside from that terrible windjammer, it looks stock. Once you lose that fairing and give it a wash, I'm guessing it'll look pretty good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want a cb750 bad. I have a cb650 that came with a Vetter Windjammer, too. Also attached with hose clamps.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Tilt windshield, add backrest that is just as high. Bosozoku accomplished.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OneStopShop posted:

Picked up my first bike, a '76 CB750.

Pulled the Vetter off as soon as I got it home (installed with hoseclamps, loving LAFFO) and need to pull the exhaust next so I can install my friends' hand-me-down Yoshimura pipe.

Excellent. My first bike was a 77 CB750. Welcome to the club!
I'm sure you're already on sohc4.net but if you arent, then get over there ASAP.
If you have any questions or need parts, PM me.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Excellent. My first bike was a 77 CB750. Welcome to the club!
I'm sure you're already on sohc4.net but if you arent, then get over there ASAP.
If you have any questions or need parts, PM me.

Yah the sohc4 forums are a great place for information. Also echoing Charlie here if you need anything let me know. I have tons of extra parts for different years.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/4767275244.html

Ugh somebody stop me. I worked in a shop where I rebuilt tons of these small, weak honda machines. I love them, and this looks like it's pretty decent and ready for a board tracker conversion.

E: Screencap:

VVV possibly. I like these bikes, but the pod filters are a red flag right away. Simple enough winter project. and new tires are worth another $300.

E2: and the voltage regulator is just hanging freely where the side covers should be :stare:

E3: Got him down to 1300, seems very upset that I would not pay 4 figures for a bike missing a bunch of important stock pieces, and he has no idea what 'work' has been done to it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 26, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

red19fire posted:

Ugh somebody stop me. I worked in a shop where I rebuilt tons of these small, weak honda machines. I love them, and this looks like it's pretty decent and ready for a board tracker conversion.

That's about $1300 too much for that bike.

edit: okay it "runs" and has $20 worth of new fork seals... $1100 too much

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 25, 2014

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's about $1300 too much for that bike.

edit: okay it "runs" and has $20 worth of new fork seals... $1100 too much

B-b-but he has a turn signal relay to throw in. Think about the $5 in savings!!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Also won't pass inspection without a front fender. You may want to mention that

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

red19fire posted:

E: Screencap:

I know this feeling. It's like being at the animal shelter with that cute, pleading puppy staring out through the bars. And you think: sure it's seen some abuse and neglect, maybe the previous owners just weren't ready for a pet, it doesn't mean they were evil or anything. This is a journey. This is a courageous act. This is gonna get me 413 likes.

Bolt out the door and don't look back. Take the 2 grand (because it will be 2 grand or better, eventually) and blow it in Cabo or Vegas or someplace with redeeming qualities. I know you know what you're doing, but I also speak from experience with this model. Hell, if I still had the thing it would be yours for the asking. I think I unloaded it with a crap ton of hen's teeth NOS parts for next to nothing because I was just about to use it for target practice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Old Hondas always seem like a nice purchase to put time into as a project. They always, always end in heartbreak. Hell, I daily-ride my 1979 Cb650, and I'm still mad as hell at the thing 100% of the time. Maybe not for the time I have to put into it, but the time I have put into it that I will never get back.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Geirskogul posted:

Old Hondas always seem like a nice purchase to put time into as a project. They always, always end in heartbreak. Hell, I daily-ride my 1979 Cb650, and I'm still mad as hell at the thing 100% of the time. Maybe not for the time I have to put into it, but the time I have put into it that I will never get back.

Agreed. Not taking anything away from their enthusiasts, but the received wisdom runs along the lines of--yeah, just put oil in it and adjust the valves once in a while, they'll run FOREVER. I don't doubt it for a second. They are bulletproof motors. It's all the poo poo OUTSIDE the motor that falls apart.

In my experience, Kawasaki actually deserves the vintage UJM rep commonly associated with Honda. I may have lucked out, but the thing was unkillable.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm home for Christmas, my siblings and I just pulled dad's 1973 Kawasaki 100cc two-stroke out from behind the shop. It was covered in about 15 years of hay dust and other assorted gunk... Which actually seems to have been thick enough to protect things to some extent, after a wash the chrome and paint look surprisingly good. Dad says he had it overhauled 15 years ago, then stuck it behind the shed.

I moved the kickstarter down slowly and it putt-putted, which I take to mean it's not seized. Tires are shot, seat is shot, but we're going to spend some time during the break and see if we can get it running. I'll try and post some before/after pictures soon.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm here to post excessively about the sad sorry story about my beloved '75 CB400f. It was my only vehicle for six years, and I relied on it for my commute from San Francisco to Menlo Park. Then, I acquired a daughter and, several months later, a car. I quit working to be a stay at home parent, (my wife earns the bread) and motorcycling became a weekends thing. Well, the last two months before the birth of my son, the pregnancy became . . . difficult, and my wife could not be left alone with our daughter. And then it was several months after that before she could really be left alone with the two kids.

The next time I tried to start the bike, fully seven months had passed. Of course, I couldn't get it started. I figured I could get it to my mechanic sometime, but then Charlie moved to LA. More time passes. The bike is parked on the street, like always, and several covers were stolen from it, eventually a crackhead smashed both exposed spark plugs with a brick from the planter in front of my apartment. The bike is pushed around twice a week for street cleaning. Occasionally it is knocked over by a bad parker. The front break stops working. Motorcycling seems to be more and more a thing I will get back to when less is wrong with our immediate reality.

Finally, I resolved that now is the time to have it put back in running order. How much could that really cost? But the bike was last started in January of 2012. The gas tank was full at the time, just as it was when I pushed it to the shop (O'hanlon's). I cannot work on the bike myself. I am of the conviction, wrong perhaps, that you need two out of these three things to work on your own motorcycle, work which you must trust with your life on the road:

1) Know-how
2) Tools
3) A garage

If you posses know-how and tools, you can spend whole days taking apart and putting back together without a garage. If you have know-how and a garage, you can beg, borrow, and buy tools. If you have tools and a garage, you can learn. Since I posses none of these things, I thought perhaps I could use my old stand-by, professionals. It turns out that in the absence of the aforementioned trinity, a fourth commodity is required in quantity: $$$

Today the mechanic and I talked over the $1100 worth of work that has so far gone into getting the bike running again, and the $1100 worth that the bike still needs to be truly reliable. This is lots lots more than I imagined. So I've decide I must sell the bike. In order to maximize my suffering, I am going to retrieve the bike Saturday morning, 24 hours after I have two wisdom teeth removed (also surprisingly expensive, but now unavoidable). After that I will report back to the thread with pictures, but in the mean time, I am trying to figure out what the bike is worth.

Here are the things I've been told still must be addressed: Brake master cylinder and lines must be replaced, Swing arm Bushings are worn, tires need to be replaced, the signals are not working and the reason is not yet diagnosed, but may be related to the fact that the bike is overcharging on the order of 2 volts, and the cause of this may be straightforward or not. The bike has a fair quantity of unsightly rust, notably on the otherwise sexy exhaust, a palm sized dent in the tank, a rather beat up seat, and broken off cooling fins on both sides of the block. The bike runs well with good compression, according to the mechanic. Bearing in mind that this will be for sale in the city of San Francisco, does anyone have a ballpark idea I should be aiming at asking?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm interested to see what z3n will say, but it sounds like a bike that runs and not much more. I'd guess that in the $1000 range. Maybe add some because the 400 fours are rareish and desirable, but I dunno how much that would add. Condolences.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm here to post excessively about the sad sorry story about my beloved '75 CB400f.

Your judgment is sound and your priorities are straight. If you care about the bike, get creative--maybe a relative can stash it until you're at a place in life where you can devote the necessary attention. Failing that, maybe a Bay Area goon would take it for a modest price with a gentleman's agreement for rights of first refusal. Cut your losses and take the kids to Knott's Berry Farm or something.

Long posts welcome, we're not all ADD.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm here to post excessively about the sad sorry story about my beloved '75 CB400f. It was my only vehicle for six years, and I relied on it for my commute from San Francisco to Menlo Park. Then, I acquired a daughter and, several months later, a car. I quit working to be a stay at home parent, (my wife earns the bread) and motorcycling became a weekends thing. Well, the last two months before the birth of my son, the pregnancy became . . . difficult, and my wife could not be left alone with our daughter. And then it was several months after that before she could really be left alone with the two kids.

The next time I tried to start the bike, fully seven months had passed. Of course, I couldn't get it started. I figured I could get it to my mechanic sometime, but then Charlie moved to LA. More time passes. The bike is parked on the street, like always, and several covers were stolen from it, eventually a crackhead smashed both exposed spark plugs with a brick from the planter in front of my apartment. The bike is pushed around twice a week for street cleaning. Occasionally it is knocked over by a bad parker. The front break stops working. Motorcycling seems to be more and more a thing I will get back to when less is wrong with our immediate reality.

Finally, I resolved that now is the time to have it put back in running order. How much could that really cost? But the bike was last started in January of 2012. The gas tank was full at the time, just as it was when I pushed it to the shop (O'hanlon's). I cannot work on the bike myself. I am of the conviction, wrong perhaps, that you need two out of these three things to work on your own motorcycle, work which you must trust with your life on the road:

1) Know-how
2) Tools
3) A garage

If you posses know-how and tools, you can spend whole days taking apart and putting back together without a garage. If you have know-how and a garage, you can beg, borrow, and buy tools. If you have tools and a garage, you can learn. Since I posses none of these things, I thought perhaps I could use my old stand-by, professionals. It turns out that in the absence of the aforementioned trinity, a fourth commodity is required in quantity: $$$

Today the mechanic and I talked over the $1100 worth of work that has so far gone into getting the bike running again, and the $1100 worth that the bike still needs to be truly reliable. This is lots lots more than I imagined. So I've decide I must sell the bike. In order to maximize my suffering, I am going to retrieve the bike Saturday morning, 24 hours after I have two wisdom teeth removed (also surprisingly expensive, but now unavoidable). After that I will report back to the thread with pictures, but in the mean time, I am trying to figure out what the bike is worth.

Here are the things I've been told still must be addressed: Brake master cylinder and lines must be replaced, Swing arm Bushings are worn, tires need to be replaced, the signals are not working and the reason is not yet diagnosed, but may be related to the fact that the bike is overcharging on the order of 2 volts, and the cause of this may be straightforward or not. The bike has a fair quantity of unsightly rust, notably on the otherwise sexy exhaust, a palm sized dent in the tank, a rather beat up seat, and broken off cooling fins on both sides of the block. The bike runs well with good compression, according to the mechanic. Bearing in mind that this will be for sale in the city of San Francisco, does anyone have a ballpark idea I should be aiming at asking?

Ergh. That's really tough on the wife and kids front.

Brake cylinder and lines are no big deal - rebuild kits or ebay parts. Swingarm bushings may be bad enough to warrant immediate replacement, may not. Signals not working, overcharging issues, those are easily diagnosable. The cosmetic stuff is no big deal.

If the bike is really special to you, and you can make the time, I'd be happy to lend a hand fixing it up. Ebay some replacement parts, brake rebuild kit, tires, electrical diagnosis, probably figure ~2 half days of wrench time with a little additional prep and help, ~$250 in parts.

Otherwise, someone would probably pay you 1000-1500 bucks. Pricing on these things is hard, sometimes you can get a bit more, sometimes you can't. If it were all cleaned up, and running smoothly, you could probably clear around 2500 for it.

Let me know what's right by you - happy to lend a hand either selling it or fixing it up.

Also, what is the registration status? Still current? DMV backfees are a bitch :(

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Z3n posted:

Ergh. That's really tough on the wife and kids front.

Brake cylinder and lines are no big deal - rebuild kits or ebay parts. Swingarm bushings may be bad enough to warrant immediate replacement, may not. Signals not working, overcharging issues, those are easily diagnosable. The cosmetic stuff is no big deal.

If the bike is really special to you, and you can make the time, I'd be happy to lend a hand fixing it up. Ebay some replacement parts, brake rebuild kit, tires, electrical diagnosis, probably figure ~2 half days of wrench time with a little additional prep and help, ~$250 in parts.

Otherwise, someone would probably pay you 1000-1500 bucks. Pricing on these things is hard, sometimes you can get a bit more, sometimes you can't. If it were all cleaned up, and running smoothly, you could probably clear around 2500 for it.

Let me know what's right by you - happy to lend a hand either selling it or fixing it up.

Also, what is the registration status? Still current? DMV backfees are a bitch :(

Z3n, This is a very kind offer. Where are you located? After the rough news yesterday, and sleeplessness last night, I've decided before I make rash judgements to consider my options more thoroughly. I have kept the bike registered, and even promptly paid a couple of parking tickets, so there are not fees to worry over. Something that may be worth worrying over is my general incompetence with regard to wrench-work. If you were to help me, you would need to be prepared to babysit me.

Anyhow, so as not to poo poo up the thread overly, here are some pictures I took this morning.

A dream I might have enjoyed last night.

A 400f just hanging around to stab at my heart. (Also pictured, my boy!)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A Honda dream/benley is one of my dream bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Z3n, This is a very kind offer. Where are you located? After the rough news yesterday, and sleeplessness last night, I've decided before I make rash judgements to consider my options more thoroughly. I have kept the bike registered, and even promptly paid a couple of parking tickets, so there are not fees to worry over. Something that may be worth worrying over is my general incompetence with regard to wrench-work. If you were to help me, you would need to be prepared to babysit me.

Anyhow, so as not to poo poo up the thread overly, here are some pictures I took this morning.

A dream I might have enjoyed last night.

A 400f just hanging around to stab at my heart. (Also pictured, my boy!)

I'm out in the Oakland hills - I'm happy to swing by with the truck to bring the bike out, and can easily ferry you to and from Rockridge BART if need be until we get it running and you can ride it home.

I fully understand what I'm getting into here - I learned wrenching from folks being willing to open up their garages and teach me how to work on my bikes, starting from essential zero mechanical experience, so I know what it's like to not know which way the wrench turns. It's nice to teach folks who want to learn, so if you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach.

Send me a PM or post up an email address, and we can figure out how we can best get the bike sorted. :)

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Z3n posted:

I'm out in the Oakland hills - I'm happy to swing by with the truck to bring the bike out, and can easily ferry you to and from Rockridge BART if need be until we get it running and you can ride it home.

I fully understand what I'm getting into here - I learned wrenching from folks being willing to open up their garages and teach me how to work on my bikes, starting from essential zero mechanical experience, so I know what it's like to not know which way the wrench turns. It's nice to teach folks who want to learn, so if you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach.

Send me a PM or post up an email address, and we can figure out how we can best get the bike sorted. :)

Z3n, I'm mcdaddyallen(at)gmail. Also, I'm floored by the generosity of your offer. And yet, not terribly surprised, because jaw-dropping generosity seems to be the standard for the motorcyclists. I do have a Haynes manual for the bike. I suppose I should start reading it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cool, will send an e-mail in just a second. Haynes manual is handy, certainly wouldn't hurt to get familiar with what goes into the bike :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I can vouch for Z3n's rockridge BART ferry-ing ability. And I guess his workmanship too.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I retrieved my bike. Would have been a rather miserable job for me to push it back, because I was not really in great shape after those bastard teeth came out. Luckily, while I was hemorrhaging money to the mechanic, a cycle tow came by to drop off another bike, he didn't have another job to get to at that time, and the mechanic called in a favor to get my bike towed back my house no charge!

Here it is:

This should be a link to a gallery of some quick pictures I took this morning.

The invoice I got included a list of things that need to be fixed:
Tires (old)
Left Fork Seal (Leaking)
Turn Signals (Inoperable)
Swing Arm Bushings (Worn)
Oil and Filter (Change)
Brake Master Cylinder and Lines (replace)
Overcharging @ +16.5V

I think Z3n will come by tomorrow to have a look, but I promised to return to the thread with photos, and I keep my promises (usually) :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yup, be by tomorrow around 10AM.

That doesn't look so bad, honestly. We'll chat about stuff tomorrow :)

• Locked thread