Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

radlum posted:

(also, Audrey was so good and they gave her such an awful ending).

According to The Secret History of Twin Peaks, she survived the bank explosion.

I was listening to a podcast where they insisted — and I guess this is a fairly common view — that Audrey should have been paired with Cooper rather than Annie. But I think it makes her a better character if she isn’t. She gets to have her own story rather than becoming someone for Cooper to rescue periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cooper should not have been paired with anybody.

edit: Well, except for his true soul-mate Harry, but it would have taken some convincing to tear him away from Josie I think.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

CJacobs posted:

edit: Well, except for his true soul-mate Harry,

That's a funny way to spell 'Albert'

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cptn_dr posted:

That's a funny way to spell 'Gordon Cole'

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The first guy was right - Harry is Coop's soulmate.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I never really understood the doppelganger thing, it never seemed like a literal thing in the real world. I mean Bob possessed Leland and then he possessed Cooper, right? Bob was in Leland since he was a kid but relatively dormant until becoming increasingly violent and then taking full control, maybe Coop is fighting him.
Either way, his experience in the Black Lodge broke him, that's how Bob was able to possess him and that's probably why he's not smiling.

"The good Dale is in the Lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

fake edit: the important thing to remember is that this line was so important to Lynch that when it got cut from the finale, he found a way to fit it into FWWM. I don't think he'll let this thread go that easily.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

CottonWolf posted:

It made me grin like a maniac. Andy's too good for the town of Twin Peaks.

I'm rewatching S2 and I love Andy so much but sometimes they go over the top, like when he's covered in post-its filling in at the reception desk.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

He's a whole drat town!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Polo-Rican posted:

The first guy was right - Harry is Coop's soulmate.

No, no, no - Harry and Albert should be together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SaintFu posted:

I was listening to a podcast where they insisted — and I guess this is a fairly common view — that Audrey should have been paired with Cooper rather than Annie. But I think it makes her a better character if she isn’t. She gets to have her own story rather than becoming someone for Cooper to rescue periodically.

It was so weird really that Audrey and cooper never spoke again after the rescue

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

SaintFu posted:

Except her story...isn't that good. Everything with her after she and Coop stop interacting is pretty bad. It's clear that after they decided to not pair her with Coop they had no idea what to do with her. Obviously the best answer is to actually give her a good story, but I would have rather seen her take Annie's place than get John Justice Wheeler and the pine weasels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Billy Zane... bad? I am confused here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like Audrey getting with Coop and it not being portrayed as weird and bad would pretty badly undercut the core themes about the abuse of young women by older men. It might have worked had Audrey been college aged (Which I think was even the original plan at some point?), but having the character as a high schooler makes it a bit gross.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Raxivace posted:

I feel like Audrey getting with Coop and it not being portrayed as weird and bad would pretty badly undercut the core themes about the abuse of young women by older men. It might have worked had Audrey been college aged (Which I think was even the original plan at some point?), but having the character as a high schooler makes it a bit gross.

They should have gotten together and it should have been portrayed as weird and bad. That could have been how Cooper became susceptible to BOB's influence.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Coops above that poo poo.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, I never understood why they didn't go for a "Cooper trains Audrey as a potential FBI agent" angle. It feeds into Audrey's desire to see the world and get out of Twin Peaks and Cooper's always been a guy who'd rather people be prepared than go investigate against police orders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It has always kinda bothered me that they doubled back on Cooper being a no-relationship-drama dude in season 2. He's like the only character that doesn't partake in that stuff and actively removes himself from it when it starts up around him... and then it just happens anyway from a different source.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It has always kinda bothered me that they doubled back on Cooper being a no-relationship-drama dude in season 2. He's like the only character that doesn't partake in that stuff and actively removes himself from it when it starts up around him... and then it just happens anyway from a different source.

Thats cuz Season Two SUCKS!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, yeah but. What if Season 2. Didn't suck.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hot take: Actually, parts of series 2 are very good.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That's a hot take? I don't usually start skipping stuff until James gets his awful side story.

Even then, there are still some scenes that I wouldn't want to miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziHeJfibGc

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I may not have been being 100% serious. But yeah, I agree. When I do rewatches of series 2, the only bits I actively skip are James' story, I tend to watch even the non-James bits in those episodes.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Been introducing this to my girlfriend, and we've just passed the episode where the killer is revealed.

She's absolutely terrified of Bob and Possessed Leland, and didn't ever suspect it might have been Leland. I was trying to pick up on any foreshadowing since I didn't first time, but didn't really see any apart from him offing Jacques which is very plausible anyway

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CottonWolf posted:

I may not have been being 100% serious. But yeah, I agree. When I do rewatches of series 2, the only bits I actively skip are James' story, I tend to watch even the non-James bits in those episodes.

What about super-Nadine and little Nicky? Cause those are some bullshit storylines.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

regulargonzalez posted:

What about super-Nadine and little Nicky? Cause those are some bullshit storylines.

To my shame, super-Nadine amuses me in a "What the gently caress are they even doing?" type of way. Little Nicky is bad, but I'm a big fan of Andy, so there are enough scenes with him in that I sit through it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

regulargonzalez posted:

Nadine has always been super:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcYWYtn8mc

I also get an immense amount of satisfaction out of her encounter with Hank.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2017

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Been introducing this to my girlfriend, and we've just passed the episode where the killer is revealed.

She's absolutely terrified of Bob and Possessed Leland, and didn't ever suspect it might have been Leland. I was trying to pick up on any foreshadowing since I didn't first time, but didn't really see any apart from him offing Jacques which is very plausible anyway

I'm doing my rewatch right now and noticed only one bit of forshadowing. When James is telling Truman about the tape Jacoby had, he mentions that Laura would "say some crazy stuff" like flicking lit cigarettes at him and asking "do you want to play with fire little boy," just like what BOB did to Leland.

There's another small thing, but it doesn't make sense until the finale. The Log Lady brings Cooper a jar of liquid from the ring of sycamore trees at the lodge entrance that smells like burnt motor oil. Jacoby tells Cooper that the night Jacques Renault was killed at the hospital that he smelled burnt motor oil.

I'm almost done with my rewatch; just saw the drawer knob scene again. Ugh. I might watch the fan-edit of FWWM this time since I already saw Missing Pieces on its own.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Little Nicky was worth it for all the extra Dick Tremayne.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
It's so dumb, but this is still one of my favorite shots in the series:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

First two shots(staircase and passageway) are giving me definite Silent Hill vibes. Obviously that series was massively influenced by Lynch in any case, but it would be nice to think the influence went both ways.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Little Nicky was worth it for all the extra Dick Tremayne.

Are you still seeing this Dick?

I'm almost finished my rewatch and the back end of season two isn't too terrible. Of course, I skipped literally every scene with James in it, but the Nadine plotline is just plain entertaining and Little Nicky means more Andy and Dick. The only parts that have been really difficult to sit through were Windom Earle's scenes - there's just no tension or menace there, despite everything he was built up to be.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

I mean in terms of foreshadowing: there's him smearing blood over her portrait, Coop snapping his fingers after he wakes up from his waiting room dream just as Leland had been earlier and Leland humping Laura's coffin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LostRook posted:

I mean in terms of foreshadowing: there's him smearing blood over her portrait, Coop snapping his fingers after he wakes up from his waiting room dream just as Leland had been earlier and Leland humping Laura's coffin.

Doesn't his hair turn white before then too? And there's the weird crazy dancing/singing he does. I guess those are only obvious bad signs in retrospect but even when they happen they feel bizarre.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Also, way back in the pilot, when Truman comes to break the news and Leland is on the phone with Sarah, he tells her that Laura is dead without being told. You could say that he figured it out by context with her being unaccounted for and Truman's somber look, but she could have just had a car accident and been in the hospital too.

Are we doing spoiler tags in this thread?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn't they wait a while before deciding who the killer was? Some of those clues could just be felicitous accidents, maybe even cues that helped the writers decide.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

business hammocks posted:

Didn't they wait a while before deciding who the killer was? Some of those clues could just be felicitous accidents, maybe even cues that helped the writers decide.

Well, Jacoby is practically gleeful when he first meets Coop, asking if he can see the body. :stare:

Edit: Can you imagine Twin Peaks Clue? :psyduck:

Like, even if you guessed the person who did it, was it really them?

Also, after you solved the case, you then have to act out madlib-like scenarios between the remaining pieces for 18 minutes. In the last 2 minutes, you cut a hole in one of the rooms and keep one of your pieces there indefinitely. Next person moves 25 years later.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 14, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

business hammocks posted:

I thought the killer was always meant to be Leland, but then the BOB stuff came about when Lynch was asked to add a closed ending for the international version of the pilot and he liked the look of one of the grips on the set (who became BOB). I could be wrong, though.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Another thing to notice is the reactions Sarah and Leland have to each other: Sarah screaming "What is going on in this house?" and then, at the funeral, "Don't ruin THIS too!" Also, at the beginning of episode 4 Leland basically mocks Sarah's visions in front of the police.

nopants
May 29, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

To my shame, super-Nadine amuses me in a "What the gently caress are they even doing?" type of way. Little Nicky is bad, but I'm a big fan of Andy, so there are enough scenes with him in that I sit through it.

Super strong Nadine with amnesia also had plenty of mike, and mike was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Anybody know is there any particular reason or story behind there being both a BOB and a Bobby, and two Mikes?

• Locked thread