Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

regulargonzalez posted:

One thing to be aware of for the film is that the shooting script is much longer and makes the movie make much more sense -- especially the first half. Some of that is remedied to some degree with the recent re-release that features deleted scenes (though I haven't seen it personally, so can't comment on how much these scenes help and also they are not edited into film but are standalone scenes).

If you're really interested, I'd recommend searching for the script and reading through, makes things like the David Bowie scene make more sense.

Why would you want the movie to make sense? The movie is perfect as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

timeandtide posted:

If you all have a chance to watch the 3.5 hour fan cut or at least Missing Pieces, take it: the fan cut is an extraordinary film that's not at all confusing like the original Fire Walks With Me and the guy who went to the trouble of cutting it to Lynch's script deserves some applauds for making it fit together so well; it's a professional job.

There's a lot of content in Missing Pieces/fan cut that fills in FWWM like the Bowie scene being elaborated on (I don't think there's an explantation necessarily, but the overall idea of him having some sort of power from the Lodge that allows him to teleport is at least conveyed properly), the green ring is threaded in more throughly, and there's an extended version of the Black Lodge Meeting scene that is one of several scenes that introduces an entire character arc to the Man From Another Place and why he split up with BOB.

Also, there's a really creepy scene with a fan.

I still don't understand why people want fire walk with me to "make sense". That just isn't what Lynch movies do or how they communicate with their viewers. Lynch cut all of that content for a reason. Just because they eventually release every drat snip of film because fans demand bonus features doesn't mean Lynch didn't deliberately cut that stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Boss Man Bing posted:

The only thing I'm honestly disliking so far in season 2 is the whole Leo/Bobby/Shelly thing.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHEHEHEHHHEEEEEEHhhhhhhh... New shoes.

I actually really liked Bobby going through a redemptive arc. He was too one note in the first season and it was good to see this tender side to him that shows you what Laura saw in him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
To me the "bad" part of season 2 is more the way it damages some of the most sinister parts of the first season. Specifically, I mean (spoilers pertain to Coop's mentor) the way they change Wyndom Earle's whole demeanor between the video Coop sees of him early on and his appearance on the show. In the video, he looks like a man driven to some sort of existential madness by the things he's learned about the black lodge. He seems like a dude who could do anything now, but who is operating in a state of such heightened dread and agitation that he's almost wrapped back around to cold and emotionless. When he actually appears on the show, he basically just bounces around acting like loving Daffy Duck and cackling maniacally at himself in between doing "crazy" things to emphasize how unbalanced he is. He's no longer sinister and mad, but is instead dangerous and wacky. It's as if they remade Silence of the Lambs but replaced Anthony Hopkins with Wile E. Coyote.

There was just a whole lot of potential set up there that I think was completely squandered and Earle ultimately just became a plot device to lead Cooper into the Black Lodge. He could have fit the mood and mythology of the show so much better, but they just totally dropped the ball without Lynch around to write him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If I already have the DVD gold box, is it worth the money to pick up the Blu-Rays too? I have the FWWM DVD as well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wild At Heart is the only good Nicholas Cage movie ever, so watch that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

messagemode1 posted:

I didn't think fire walk with me added a lot to my understanding of what happened, though I think the Deer Meadow segments were really fun.

Maybe it doesn't reveal any mysteries or anything, but it should certainly add to your understanding of how it feels to be a terrified victim of domestic abuse. The most powerful part of the movie is how it takes this girl who, in the show, is sort of the archetypal "devil/angel" character and shows you how she was really a helpless victim and just how terrifying that is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That statement sounds to me like Showtime wanted to do this on the cheap to cash in on the anniversary, and Lynch won't be involved unless they're willing to pay to have it be made exactly as he sees it in his head. Lynch is as much artist as director and I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea that he wouldn't do it at all if they wanted him to compromise his vision so they could make a quick buck. Why would he resurrect twin peaks if it wasn't going to be done the best it could be?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Emerson Cod posted:

My wife and I had a read on the Red Lodge/Black Lodge etc that it was meant to be a manifestation/side effect of electronics and radio signals. The Man From Another Place's real name sounds like the Doppler effect, while the waves on the bottom of the floor resemble static. The ring resembles the type of symbols used in circuitry schematics, too.

Didn't Major Briggs do something with radio telemetry too?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This is great.
More importantly, it led me to the news that THE X-FILES IS COMING BACK!!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This is one of those things that is absolutely exemplary of Lynch's "dream logic" style. The hospital food is weird, but it's consistent internally in how it's represented. It's sort of this abstract, ultimate representation of the notion that hospital food is awful. If you had a nightmare or weird dream about being in the hospital, this might be how all the food looked. I love it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Surlaw posted:

James singing is one of my favorite moments in the show. It's a huge shame he got stuck with such a wretched plot in the second part of the show.

I involuntarily cringe when that scene starts. How can you like that?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zoux posted:

I wonder if the score was considered to be avant garde in 1991 because it sounds reaaaaal dated to the modern ear.

I think that's kinda the point. Badalementi's music is simultaneously this sort of vintage pastiche while also absolutely capturing the mood of the scene. You can listen to the soundtrack and write down what it makes you feel, then go watch the show and see just how well that poo poo matches up.

This video should tell you everything you need to know about how TP/FWWM was scored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zoux posted:

If this isn't the thread for new Twin Peaks talk I apologize but Lynch is directing every episode of the new season.

I also read that he's planning to write and direct all the episodes as one film and then turn them into individual episodes in editing.

Doing the whole thing as one movie could either be really good or really bad. Like how Kill Bill ended up with all the action up front and all the talk at the back. Lynch is a more competent director than Tarantino, but if you're doing the whole thing with it in a continuous film in your head, I feel like that informs how you write and structure things in a way that will make it hard to convert into an episodic format.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SpookyLizard posted:

You can do it kind of do that. The wire managed to have multiple threads spread across episodes, threads other shows wouldve condensed into a single part. Somebody once described it as that an episodes starts halfway into the one youre watching and ends halfway into the next one.

But hopefully this entire season as a movie exists and we can watch it as a single ultra long episode.

Right, but writing a show that has serialized plot threads is different from writing a movie. You still pace and structure things differently. If each episode doesn't have a reasonable beginning, climax, and conclusion it's going to feel meandering and incomplete. Imagine Star Wars edited into 50 my items chunks. No matter how you mix things together, you're either going to be focusing on a single plot thread for a whole episode to keep things thematically consistent within the episode, or you're going to be combining events that happen out of sequence. In good TV, events involving disparate characters in the same episode still tie together thematically.

Obviously Lynch is brilliant, but if he sets put to write a movie and then edit it into TV, I worry he's gonna create something confusing and impenetrable, but not in the good way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mantis42 posted:

I mean if David Lynch can edit a bunch of episodes from an unaired tv series and turn it into one of the best films of the 2000s, I'm sure he can do the reverse and turn a movie into a tv show.

Which movie are we talking about here?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

Mulholland Dr. was initially a television pilot, believe it or not. The last 45 or so minutes were added onto to it so it could become a feature film after the series it would have been wasn't picked up.

I knew Mulholland Drive was a failed pilot. Thing is, that's not editing several episodes of a TV show into a movie. That's bolting 45 minutes onto the end of the TV show. And while he did use an interesting twist in having all the actors switch places, I don't think that really indicates that he can take 15 hours of film written as a continuous narrative and turn it into 15 episodes of TV in editing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ramadu posted:

So is everyone just having sex with everyone else? I swear every single plot point so far has been "sleeping with so many other people". Does this ever change? Is it just a sex show?

there is no evil in the woods. the secret of the show is that you're seeing everyone's dementia from terminal syphilis.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Scandalous Wench posted:

I for one would welcome a reboot of Invitation to Love.

They should just run an actual Invitation to Love series alongside Twin Peaks. It's not like Showtime has anything else at all that I want to watch so it would get my eyeballs on their channel longer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There's definitely not a huge amount of diversity in Lynch's work, but it also seems pretty demographically accurate for the settings his work has taken place in, primarily. Except Dune, I guess, but that movie is just totally inscrutable in a lot of ways.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Spoiler, mild one:

Harry. Dean Stanton. on set makes me very happy. Did not expect that.

I thought he was dead for some reason. Huh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EmmyOk posted:

She really wasn't.

"good character" and "interesting person" are not necessarily the same thing. She fulfills her role perfectly. The whole point is that there's nothing particularly special about her. She could be any girl. The town, the people, they could have done the same to anyone. The whole story is heavily intertwined with allegory of the abuse and trauma a girl is put through just by trying to be what everyone wants, and what happens to her when they try to take more than she can give. There's a reason victims of sexual abuse, for example, have frequently cited the movie as being extremely cathartic. It expresses their experience in a way more deep than can be put into words.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Baloogan posted:

Like anything Lynch you can wave your hands, say 'allegory and symbolism' over and over and it's fine. IMO it works.

While I agree, I think the symbolism in Twin Peaks/FWWM is way more concrete and connected to the central idea than a lot of Lynch's other work. More so in FWWM than in the show, but it's still strong in the show. While there's certainly a lot of seemingly disconnected plot threads that dangle about as part of the show's overt parody of soap operas, the theme of people projecting their own wants and desires onto Laura throughout the show is quite strong. This culminates in Maddie showing up and people struggling not to treat her just like Laura. Her very plainness and uninterestingness is what draws the town (and BOB) to turn her into an icon for their wishes. This becomes very explicit when we finally meet Laura in FWWM and there's really nothing special about her. Anything interesting she does is basically a desperate reaction to how everyone else is treating her.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EmmyOk posted:

If you like boring uninteresting people then sure. Like people have said the interesting stuff is everyone else's perception of her but anything just focussed on her was James-esque in interest level.

I think you're conflating "uninteresting person" with "bad character". She's a good character because she's an uninteresting person. That's the whole point of the show. If she wasn't a boring, average, troubled teen, none of the show's metaphor would carry any weight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Baloogan posted:

Definitely not April 1st.

Lol.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Skyscraper posted:

I was really kinda hoping David Lynch would take Andrew WK up on his offer to play Bob.

but which andrew wk?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

There's nothing particularly interesting in it, basically. A seasoned professional actress says "it doesn't seem like my character would fit into where they're looking to take this series, which is OK with me. I can't wait to see what they're gonna do."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chairman Capone posted:

He was also in Dune and Lost Highway.

ya, lynch really likes to stay loyal to his crew of actors. you'll see the same faces over and over in his work.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The cool thing is that the Black Lodge inhabitants are all mystical dream beings anyway, so you could always replace him with another little person actor who's not such a prick.

Also the dude who played the giant and iirc, MIKE are coming back so that's cool

i mean, they already straight up replaced lara flynn boyle for fwwm so its not like lynch has any hesitations about replacing actors anyway. not to mention that sudden rearrangement of the cast was an actual plot point in at least one of his films.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i'd be down for a group watch. my wife and i have meant to do a rewatch before the new season but ive had trouble getting her to dive into it again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I finished reading Secret History a couple weeks back, and while it was a fun and spooky detour I don't know that it really adds that much to the comprehension of the show. The most salient points from what I can tell are:

• Major Briggs knows somewhat more than he lets on
  • Josie is a bigger baddie than maybe we thought
  • Confirmation of who dies in the bank explosion

I don't think all the stuff about UFOs and ancient beings and cults and stuff is anything more than flavor. All it really tells you is that there's a lot of spooky poo poo in the world and there's competing explanations. Basically that the spiritual/supernatural is transformed by the mind of the beholder. It's basically just telling you "the stuff in this show is metaphor, and you will all take something different away from it. Get comfortable with that". Anybody expecting "proper explanations" from the book are likely sorely disappointed, but then again why the hell are you watching David Lynch's work if you want things to be properly explained :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

Who is the architect or whatever they're called? (dude who wrote the book)

It says it flat out at the end, it was started by Doug and then finished by Garland.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerdman42 posted:

I'm such a a sap for legos, I'll probably shell $60 out for that.

Is it, at least, an entertaining read? Also how bad we talking, is Josie actually competent?

It's definitely a fun read. You should get it. The person in question in your spoiler is an extreme baddie who is 100x more competent than they appeared in the show.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Deakul posted:

Most likely just a cigarette.

the funnier thing with not-audrey is the way they tried to make her sweater look clingy and sexy by drawing lines on the blocky piece, but it just makes her look like some sort of weird pie person instead. like, dude, it's a fuckin' lego. it doesn't have to be a sex object.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

That's what female Legos look like, though. :shrug:

Wow. That's real dumb.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

I finished The Secret History of Twin Peaks today, right in time for the announcement of season 3's release date which is one hell of cool coincidence.

I'm curious as to what people make of the contradictions between the book's events and the show's events. Like they almost seem too blatant to be an accident. Norma's mother is dead in the book, alive and has a minor subplot in the show. Ben Horne wins the Civil War in his delusions in the show, loses the war in the book. I think Ed and Nadine's backstory is different between the book and show too. I'm half-tempted to include Josie in the book not being merely a femme fatale but also the hardest criminal to have ever gangstered in here too. I think the book even points to her as having planted the bank bomb, which is never the impression I've gotten from the show.

I'm not really sure whether to take this as mere unreliable narration or...something else, like some time travel nonsense or something.
Any thoughts on this?

You can explain any of it as either retcon or simply unreliable facts from the in-universe narrator. Or read more into it. Whatever feels good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I only have showtime because att forces it onto you with the HBO package.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish I could go back and relive what it was like to hate James and his stupid loving bike for the very first time.

I don't think I really truly turned on him until that god awful singing bit with him Maddie and Donna. Before that I just hated his weird bony face. After I wished he would die.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Clap posted:

Seconded. The day that I finally got my hands on the Criterion Collection was a beautiful day.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to link y'all to what I believe is the definitive modern writing on Mulholland Dr. - Film Crit Hulk Smash: Hulk vs. The Genius of Mulholland Dr.

He does a true deep dive into the narrative and symbolism at play throughout the entire movie, mostly scene by scene and sometimes shot by shot. This article really opened up my understanding of the film in a way that I never really thought was possible. I will warn y'all though, it is very long - the article's length almost warrants a simultaneous watch of the film on its own - but I think the article's length is a testament to how detailed it is.

Look, I know not everyone is a fan of Film Crit Hulk. I think the gimmick is shallow and makes his writing inaccessible to a whole shitload of people. But that article is, I think, the best thing he's ever written and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

That writeup is really good and actually helped me think about Lynch's work in a new way. He's one of my favorite directors but I've always enjoyed his work more on the gut surreal level. I have a degree in writing and literary analysis but I'm so loathe to pick apart things I like (I'm often accused of "ruining" movies and shows by questioning/pointing out inconsistent behavior by characters). It might be worth taking a spin back through my collection and trying to digest this stuff in a deliberate way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

smug n stuff posted:

I'm at pretty much the same spot, and whew, yeah
also, another question for people who know more: I can't stand the "Nadine thinks she's in high school, hah!" scenes, and have been skipping them. Is there anything in there that I'll miss or that'd make them worth viewing?

Um, yeah. You're missing some good poo poo. The awkward 4-way exchange of SOs conversation is gold. I really recommend against skipping things on your first watch of the show. Maybe you won't hate it the way others do, but either way at the least then you can make your own choice rather than trusting a bunch of cranky internet people :).

• Locked thread