Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

dumb. posted:

I hit a bird yesterday.

I was only doing about 40mph on a back road and this little black bird divebombed me from the left.

I bobbed and weaved thinking it was going to hit my face, which brought my mirror up just enough to smack right into the little guy.

The worst part was seeing him arc off the mirror to the shoulder and just kind of plopping onto the gravel. There's no way he survived. :saddowns:

Yeah, I had one come flying out of tall grass next to the road while on a trip in Ohio. Poor thing just rammed itself into my left side fairing. I was afraid he was jammed into the air vents, but the guy riding behind me said he ricocheted off to the road. Poor little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I had a cockatoo fly right across me while I was riding up in the hills one day. Hit me on the shoulder, the worst bit was the white dust which came out of the bird and was actually difficult to get off my jacket.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Absentmindedly jumped off the bike without putting the side stand down, barely caught it before it fell over. Immediately got back on and rode away out of shame. :ocelot::downs:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
4th of July, in Texas. It was advanced "dunk or texting" test while riding into work this evening.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Narrowly avoided being tboned by inches. I was leaving work and the road out front is 1 lane each way, with a turn lane in the middle. There was a car coming from my left, checked to the right, and back to the left. The car was pulling into our lot, so I start pulling out and going and as I'm in the middle of the road and car about half the size of the one pulling in just barely missed me. I didn't see this car at all. They were passing the car pulling in, and were driving in the turn lane to go around them. This is super common on this road and I should've just waited but I was ready to go and didn't see the other car at all during both checks. Probably my closest to ever being in an accident with another car. The craziest part to me was my reaction. A very nonchalant "oh that was close," I don't think my blood pressure even spiked. Also I should've gave it more throttle to get clear but I don't recall giving it any more than my normal leaving work speed.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, glad you didn't get hit. I always wait for the car to turn in this situation whether I'm riding or driving. Sometimes the turning car decides to go straight too.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I knew who the person was, otherwise I would've waited for that too. I see too many people driving around with their blinker on to risk pulling out in front of some random.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schroeder91 posted:

Narrowly avoided being tboned by inches. I was leaving work and the road out front is 1 lane each way, with a turn lane in the middle. There was a car coming from my left, checked to the right, and back to the left. The car was pulling into our lot, so I start pulling out and going and as I'm in the middle of the road and car about half the size of the one pulling in just barely missed me. I didn't see this car at all. They were passing the car pulling in, and were driving in the turn lane to go around them.

Congratulations on avoiding the shortlist for No Prisoners 2017 volume 2, although there car number 2 is usually the bike making an ill advised overtake and getting t-boned by whoever is pulling out of the junction.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I had a situation a few days ago and I wonder if I could have done something differently.

I'm following a car about 2 seconds behind in a 35mph zone. We're passing an intersection with two vehicles turning left across my lane. The first one is an SUV. The SUV driver decides to turn between me and the car in front of me, instead of the hundreds of feet of empty space after me. I brake hard and honk. They make it past just fine, but the car behind them comes to a sudden stop. My guess is they couldn't see me because of the SUV, so when the SUV decided to go it looked all clear to them, so I was fortunate they saw me and stopped instead of gunning it through the turn. What could I have done here?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
2 seconds looks like just the perfect size space to fit into to most people. Be aware of this, and anticipate that they may be likely to dive into it. Really any time you're at correct following distance, especially on the motorway, expect some turd to fill the gap.

You ever accidentally play pavement chicken? Where you're on foot and walking towards someone else and you or they or both try to dodge the other by moving towards the smallest available space, usually a gap that's actively getting smaller? Remember that people still operate like this on the road.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last night I slowed to stop at a red light. Five seconds later I hear tire screeches, silence, then a maxima flies past me in my lane, and just blows through the red light. They were probably going 45, even after all the hard braking that they gave up on. :catstare:

edit: not sure if this is the right thread but I felt like sharing and it was an almost crash so

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

Last night I slowed to stop at a red light. Five seconds later I hear tire screeches, silence, then a maxima flies past me in my lane, and just blows through the red light. They were probably going 45, even after all the hard braking that they gave up on. :catstare:

edit: not sure if this is the right thread but I felt like sharing and it was an almost crash so

I almost got done like this too. They brushed my elbow, went through the light, hit the red light camera on the other side of the intersection, and rolled over. I didn't wait around.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Dutymode posted:

I had a situation a few days ago and I wonder if I could have done something differently.

I'm following a car about 2 seconds behind in a 35mph zone. We're passing an intersection with two vehicles turning left across my lane. The first one is an SUV. The SUV driver decides to turn between me and the car in front of me, instead of the hundreds of feet of empty space after me. I brake hard and honk. They make it past just fine, but the car behind them comes to a sudden stop. My guess is they couldn't see me because of the SUV, so when the SUV decided to go it looked all clear to them, so I was fortunate they saw me and stopped instead of gunning it through the turn. What could I have done here?

They probably never saw you. I make sure I'm on the far left of my lane for a bit as I approach a situation like this, and I often do a bit of a wiggle back and forth. I do that wiggle a lot when someone looks like they may be about to jump out in front of me, probably at least once a day.

I wish I could find the image, but someone posted a photo of a car at twilight waiting for a stop light opposite the camera. The caption said something like "look again for the motorcycle." There was a bike waiting just in front of the car with its headlight lined up with the car's headlight. Bikes are god drat hard to see.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yet another reason that all motorcycles should have twin round headlights. Two lights close together looks different enough from a single car headlight that it might make people look twice.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I hit a deer this morning. I got lucky, it was small enough to still have its spots. I hit it dead square in the neck at about 35mph, the bike went over it. The deer was not so lucky, it was flopping around afterwards so I am pretty sure I broke its neck. Didn't stick around to find out because I was already running late to the airport.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

I hit a deer this morning. I got lucky, it was small enough to still have its spots. I hit it dead square in the neck at about 35mph, the bike went over it. The deer was not so lucky, it was flopping around afterwards so I am pretty sure I broke its neck. Didn't stick around to find out because I was already running late to the airport.

Stick around and put it out of its misery next time.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yet another reason that all motorcycles should have twin round headlights. Two lights close together looks different enough from a single car headlight that it might make people look twice.

One time I almost pulled out in front of a bagger at night because its twin lights looked like it was a far away car.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Then bring it home for some venison and colcannon 😍

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rdb posted:

git owned, rat of the forest

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Chichevache posted:

I don't keep guns/knifes on my person, its also considered taking one out of season if your caught doing that. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

I don't keep guns/knifes on my person, its also considered taking one out of season if your caught doing that. :(

Run it over twice. :shrug:

sorry if I sound callous. that's a poo poo situation all around.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I feel pretty lucky to be alive/unharmed at this point.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
the proper thing to do would be to notify authorities so they can come and dispatch the animal. If there is no damage or if it doesnt meet your states threshold then it is not reportable on your end and there is no need for you to stick around but at least report it to be taken care of.

but yeah don't dispatch one yourself because that will more often than not be unlawful

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

the proper thing to do would be to notify authorities so they can come and dispatch the animal. If there is no damage or if it doesnt meet your states threshold then it is not reportable on your end and there is no need for you to stick around but at least report it to be taken care of.

but yeah don't dispatch one yourself because that will more often than not be unlawful

Maybe it's because I worked in a pet store for so long, but to me leaving a wounded animal to suffer feels really unethical.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, assuming you're even carrying a gun, putting it out of its misery is risking a firearms violation and a charge of poaching, isn't it?

It sucks either way but a lot of animals (and humans) die in lovely painful ways every single day

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

well, assuming you're even carrying a gun, putting it out of its misery is risking a firearms violation and a charge of poaching, isn't it?

It sucks either way but a lot of animals (and humans) die in lovely painful ways every single day

I'm utterly shocked that an engineer's go-to euthanasia method is a gun. Be more creative!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just attach an old timey pedestrian slicer to your fender. No more mercy kill problems

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chichevache posted:

Maybe it's because I worked in a pet store for so long, but to me leaving a wounded animal to suffer feels really unethical.

you arent the only one that feels that way. I probably had to talk people out of shooting deer before an officer arrives on scene easily without exaggerating 50 times.

edit:

I wasn't sure if I had a recording of one of those calls but I found this classic one instead.

https://soundcloud.com/perifunl/open-mic

Don't let this be you Chiche

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2017

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I'd put it out of it's misery too. I wouldn't want to be slowly dying on the side of the road, why should the animal?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fanelien posted:

I'd put it out of it's misery too. I wouldn't want to be slowly dying on the side of the road, why should the animal?

because deer are useless scum

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

because deer are useless scum

Some people say the same thing about motorcyclists.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Some people say the same thing about motorcyclists.

And they aren't wrong. I know if I see a biker dying in a ditch I just roll on by.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I stop and put them out of their misery. Motorcyclists, I mean.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hell, same

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Sagebrush posted:

There's also something called the "looming" effect.

Basically your brain has trouble telling how close or how far away a point source of light is if it's coming directly at you. With multiple points of light, they will appear to get father away from each other as the source approaches, which is easier for you brain to decode.

So essentially multiple lights = good, and more separation between lights = good

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Managed to hit and kill a black vulture today. It tore the plastic off the side of the bike and got foul poo poo and feathers everywhere. I plucked most of the feathers out, popped the plastic back on and kept going. Thankful that it didn’t hit me in the chest.

It happened right by a turnoff for a place called buzzards roost on IN 66.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

rdb posted:

Managed to hit and kill a black vulture today. It tore the plastic off the side of the bike and got foul poo poo and feathers everywhere. I plucked most of the feathers out, popped the plastic back on and kept going. Thankful that it didn’t hit me in the chest.

It happened right by a turnoff for a place called buzzards roost on IN 66.

I think you mean fowl poo poo.:iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Headbutted either an owl or bat at 110kmh on the way home from work last night. Luckily I was looking down at the time so it hit the top of my helmet rather than in the visor or face area.

Not gonna like, was kinda like ... "the gently caress just happened"

• Locked thread