Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jharkov posted:

Showing off to my buddies entering a service station with a loose gravel entrance, being a newbie on a DR650 dual sport, i slammed the rear brake and went into a rear wheel drift with bars at full lock, and somehow, didn't lowside. Luckily i was going slow enough to just keep it up.
But i still came in pretty quick and didnt know how to control an out of control bike back then.

on the other hand this probably looked totally bad-rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps&hd=1

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

schreibs posted:

Video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps&hd=1

That's why you fuel up with the bike upright! :haw:

I almost had a headon with a car today, remember to stay wide on narrow roads with no DY. A quick swerve got me out of their way, but I should have stayed wide all the way through the corner rather than cutting in at the end.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I had a good one on my scooter last week:

Theres a bridge on the way out of town that they are widening to 4 lanes near where I live. Anyways right before you go over there is a pothole right in the middle of the road. Rather, it used to be a pothole. I've been living in this town for going on 6 months now, and everytime I go over it gets a little bigger. Anymore its more of a shallow ditch.

Last weekend I was doing a trip into the city, and as I was coming up on the bridge the light there changed to yellow. I had my scooter at the rev limiter (about ~80km), and given where I was at had plenty of time to get through the light. It was only as I entered the intersection that I remembered the pothole/ditch. I hit the brakes, but I still hit it at about 60km. I slammed into the other side right on the frame before bouncing up onto the bridge. I recovered ok, but I was loosing power on the bridge, and barely nursed it over (there are no shoulders on the bridge to stop on). Turns out I'd gashed the fuel line in the impact pretty bad, and was spilling gas all over the side of road.

I nursed it back over the bridge to a near-by mechanic who got it fixed up for me. Thankfully scooter repairs out here are cheap, and it only cost me ~$3 US to get it fixed.

Moral of the story: I hate potholes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A nice little incident this morning.

Leaving a friends place after not enough sleep, in a bit of a daze, stopped at a light, half checked out.

Light turns green and I notice a car in cross traffic not slowing for the red like he should be, so I watch and wait and sure enough he blows the light about 4 seconds after it turns green at full speed and almost takes out the car in the lane next to me.

I could have just as easily been watching only the light and gone, which would have, well probably been lights out, cross traffic speed limit is like 45 there.

The lesson is always practice safety so you can count on it without even thinking about it. I didn't actively THINK anything about what I was doing until the car went by and I realized I'd completely avoided my own death on instinct alone.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
I was coming into a 90 degree right turn, and somehow instead of going down one gear I went down two and let the clutch out too fast. I also did that while making said right turn. The back wheel chirped and broke loose but got rolling again before it lowsided. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Radio-Controlled posted:

I was coming into a 90 degree right turn, and somehow instead of going down one gear I went down two and let the clutch out too fast. I also did that while making said right turn. The back wheel chirped and broke loose but got rolling again before it lowsided. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Next step: Getting a Supermoto and doing this purposefully on every turn.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Radio-Controlled posted:

I was coming into a 90 degree right turn, and somehow instead of going down one gear I went down two and let the clutch out too fast. I also did that while making said right turn. The back wheel chirped and broke loose but got rolling again before it lowsided. Scared the poo poo out of me. It was awesome.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > The SuperMotard Thread: Because Real Men Back It In

efb. I need to stop leaving threads open :saddowns:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^^ I did that the other day with my 82 virago 750 while riding on campus. It was my first time sliding my bike on tarmac; my smile must have been a mile wide! Plus there were some of my fellow students walking by who applauded me :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Took the KLR to Petco to pick up some cat food after work. Refreshing.
After I got back home, I spent some time doing MSF low speed drills (U turns and the like) out in front of the house, as I'm not 100% comfortable on the bike yet. I was also hitting the curb, crossing the end of the driveway, going across some rocks in our side yard and off the curb on that side (corner house) as a little "off road" practice.

The GF and her daughter get home, and I ride up the driveway to the garage opening. I'm not 100% sure what my plan was, other than this loose, general thing to get the bike in the garage, turned around, and back into its parking place so she could pull in - and to do so with a reasonable quickness, I was going to pull in, get off, and turn the bike around by hand.

Yeah, that didn't work out *quite* like I planned. I pulled up the driveway, stopped, and started to hop off the bike. It was when my left foot was planted on the ground, hands on the bars, and my right leg was extended 90* away from my body, with my right foot still on the middle of the seat when I realized that yes, the bike was starting to lean toward me (this is a good thing), that I forgot to put the kickstand down (this? not so much a good thing.), and that I had absolutely no leverage from that position.

I managed to keep a handle on the bike all the way to the ground, then I did the only sensible thing when one has just dumped the bike in front of the famdamily.

I turned around and spread my arms wide with a flourish... "TADAAAAAA!"

Then I killed it, picked it up, and parked it the right way.

Really! It's only been down in the driveway at 0 miles an hour! REALLY! (and it wasn't even the PO!)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Hark! I spayed my clutch lever!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 17, 2010

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
A friend and I were riding the Great Ocean Road back in Summer. He was on his R1 and me on my SFV650.

I was doing about 171km/h along this particular straight near the 12 Apostles. He was probably about a good 400m behind me (we weren't racing, obviously) and out of nowhere this little bird which I'm assuming was a magpie or some similar looking bird just flies in front of me, all I hear is this "FOOF" and that was it, my bike sort of took a sharp dip to the left towards the gravel, luckily I pulled out of it and managed to pull over. My mate pulls up alongside me in tears of laughter. He took his helmet off and between laughing fits he manages to say "all I saw was this little black blur and then an explosion of feathers. Funniest loving thing I've ever seen"

I checked the bike to see where it had hit and couldn't find anything, no feathers lodged in the radguard, no bits of bird anywhere, I'm thinking maybe it connected with the forks or something??? still to this day it is a mystery to me, but I wish I could have seen the explosion of feathers I left behind

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Coming into work this morning.

I turn into the parking lot and a decent pace. Its a fun corner and the last one of the ride so I have to give it one last hurrah. Back of the bike steps out. I enter a low slide. Had my knee down and I just went with it. Bike corrects itself and stands back up. But not before I drag my knee across the ground. I was in jeans with nothing protecting my knees. Now I have a nice dime sized hole in my jeans and on my knee.

It seemd pretty hilarious afterwards. Im pretty sure this was a near crash instead of a spirited drift. DRZ Supremacy though :c00l:

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Jabs posted:

I turned around and spread my arms wide with a flourish... "TADAAAAAA!"

I need to keep this in mind for when I eventually dump my bike, as it will probably happen in public and with people around.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
So, my Shoei Hornet used to have this really nice chin skirt. Kept the wind from blowing up and getting my neck and making everything cold. It also keeps the wasp that blew in my open visor from getting out. It did piss him off something fierce and after 9 stings and one near highside the chin skirt is now in my bag.

Haven't quite figured out how to practice emergency stops while getting my face chewed off by a wasp.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
PICS or it didn't happen. This needs to be documented.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Taelrin posted:

...Shoei Hornet...

...wasp that blew in my open visor...
Heh.

Guess I'll leave the chin skirt for my Hornet in the box. Although how well does it work keeping dust off the inside of the visor?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Taelrin posted:

So, my Shoei Hornet ...
...It also keeps the wasp that blew in my open visor from getting out.
How do you know it was a wasp and not a yellowjacket...

...or a Hornet, coming home?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

God that sounds like it sucked. You definitely deserve credit for not running headfirst into a bridge abutment to make the pain stop.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I suppose I can't really say that it was or was not a wasp. I also couldn't say that I could identify a wasp from a yellowjacket from a hornet while not moving much less while approaching it. I know it was yellow, and it bit. That's enough for me!

I suppose that this experience was good in that I now know that I'm very lucky, and I can take my helmet off with my gloves on very, very quickly.

Sorry Tsaven, I didn't take any pictures. I really didn't rock Jay Leno chin very well.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Taelrin posted:

I suppose I can't really say that it was or was not a wasp. I also couldn't say that I could identify a wasp from a yellowjacket from a hornet while not moving much less while approaching it. I know it was yellow, and it bit. That's enough for me!
Doesn't really matter. I had to go look it up, cuz, you know, goon with internet and all.
Yellowjackets and hornets are both kinds of wasps, and there's a quite entertaining scientific scale for 'sting pain' - sort of like scoville units for hot peppers.

Not part of my reading yesterday - just something I remember from a book of limericks from years ago. Written by a newspaperman who was born in Limerick, Ireland, and despised limericks - because that form was not actually invented in Limerick, but in a nearby township.

There once was a man named McBee,
Who found he'd been stung by a wasp.
When asked if it hurt,
He said, 'Yes, it does.'
'I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet.'

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I'm not sure if I agree with that scale. I've been stung by a hornet and it was like someone impaled me with a red hot poker.

Bees are more like cigarette burns.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
When I was a kid, a wasp landed on my hand. Being a genius, I decided to kill it by slapping it. That was a stupid thing to do. Wasps are evil.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Jabs,

Don't feel too bad. I did almost the exact same thing on my KLR. I was about to leave on a 300 mile trip, realized I forgot something, and went home. I pulled up in front of the driveway, put the kickstand down, had my leg halfway off before I realized that I had parked on a slight declined spot near the curb. The bike tipped away from me as I desperately tried to lower it slowly to the ground. I got it down pretty gently only to look up and realize that my neighbor's family was watching the whole sad drama about 15 feet away.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Darth Llama posted:

Jabs,

Don't feel too bad. I did almost the exact same thing on my KLR. I was about to leave on a 300 mile trip, realized I forgot something, and went home. I pulled up in front of the driveway, put the kickstand down, had my leg halfway off before I realized that I had parked on a slight declined spot near the curb. The bike tipped away from me as I desperately tried to lower it slowly to the ground. I got it down pretty gently only to look up and realize that my neighbor's family was watching the whole sad drama about 15 feet away.

First time out on a bike I drove it down the block, did a terrible Y-turn at the end of the block and came back to my house. Tried to drive it up the driveway, panicked with the clutch and brake and managed to topple myself over on bushes in my front yard. Look over and my new neighbor is just watching me from his car 10 feet away.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

First time out on a bike I drove it down the block, did a terrible Y-turn at the end of the block and came back to my house. Tried to drive it up the driveway, panicked with the clutch and brake and managed to topple myself over on bushes in my front yard. Look over and my new neighbor is just watching me from his car 10 feet away.

Y turns are pretty hard to navigate I hear...

Content:
Had a front wheel washout in a patch of sand that a construction crew had kindly laid down in the path of the right turn lane. Scary stuff, even at 5-10MPH..

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Taelrin posted:

I suppose that this experience was good in that I now know that I'm very lucky, and I can take my helmet off with my gloves on very, very quickly.

Sorry Tsaven, I didn't take any pictures. I really didn't rock Jay Leno chin very well.

I got bee in the helmet once too, fortunately mine ended up there because it bounced off my chest and got sucked up into the helmet afterwards and I was riding with visor closed. I gotta say though, riding along at 50 with a twitching bee laying on the chinbar a few inches from my eye was not really the most fun experience I've ever had.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Picked up the front wheel about 6 inches while turning right onto a highway from an intersection. Holy poo poo that was wild. I'll have to practice hard launches *in a straight line* without picking it up, I never want to do that while turning ever again. I'm really not used to the torque of this Monster 750.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

UserNotFound posted:

Picked up the front wheel about 6 inches while turning right onto a highway from an intersection. Holy poo poo that was wild. I'll have to practice hard launches *in a straight line* without picking it up, I never want to do that while turning ever again. I'm really not used to the torque of this Monster 750.
God, I did that back in March shifting into second while making a left turn on the SR-250. Picked the front wheel up about 3". Oddly enough, I must have had the bike balanced just so, or the planets must have been aligned, or something, because the front wheel came back down right where it would have been if it'd resembled one of them 'contact patch' thingies the whole time.
Scared the bejebus out of me for a second, followed by a giant poo poo eating grin. =)

I firmly believe that those drat "I just got my bike" Y turns are the leading cause of premature scrape-u-lation. I did the same thing on the BMW. Duck-paddled it 100 yards down the apartment parking lot, dropped it on the left side when I overbalanced turning it around. Thankfully, I'd had the sense to buy a 'pre-crashed' example, and the only damage was a little more rash on the engine cylinder guard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

This is literally the only way to complete a turn.

1. Turn in
2. Crack throttle
3. Wheelie/Powerslide out

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

This is literally the only way to complete a turn.

1. Turn in
2. Crack throttle
3. Wheelie/Powerslide out

Note that number three does not have an or, it has a slash. Because done properly it's both.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I still haven't gotten comfortable with sliding the rear tire on a literbike. It frightens me that I am gonna high side every time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had a huge pucker moment yesterday coming west on WA-20 over north Cascades pass. The roads cut out of the mountainside get hit by some mean sidewind, and I managed to get walloped by a gust from the right while committed to a left-turn lean.

Weirdest feeling ever, I fully braced for lowside impact before I corrected my lean. And before you tell me to correct the lean BEFORE bracing for impact, know that this all took place within the space of about half a second.

Talk about dicey. Pay attention to those sidewind alerts, everybody!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 28, 2010

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Had myself a moment on Saturday. Was traveling back home on I-77 south (just outside of Canton, Ohio) in the left hand lane passing a couple of cars. Was following some 1980s truck, don't remember the make, but was behind him by about 3 or 4 car lengths, going around 75. In the right hand lane was a woman in a Mitsubishi Montero following behind a line of about 4 cars.

I was just coming up beside her when she put on her turn signal, looked right at my face as I was beside her, then proceeded to swerve into the lane I am in with literally about 4 inches of space between her front bumper and my back tire. I panicked for a quick moment, but instinct took back over and I had enough time to realize I was headed for the shoulder on the left, so I regained composure quickly, veered back into my lane more, and cracked the throttle, leaving her behind a bit.

She ended up getting in front of the cars she was following, putting her signal back on to go back in the right lane (there was an exit coming up I guess she had wanted to take?) and cut off the driver in the right hand lane, merged in front of them pretty much the same way she did right behind me, with little to no room for error. The lane she got in was an exit only lane, and she went off on the exit but put her left turn signal back on (maybe she didn't want to take that exit after all? who the hell knows) and nearly rear ended an escort on that exit ramp.

Are there really people out there that are THIS bad at driving and are still alive? How do you not have any regard for the other people on the road's lives? :iiam:

Still, scared the bejeezus out of me.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dschingis Khan posted:

Are there really people out there that are THIS bad at driving and are still alive? How do you not have any regard for the other people on the road's lives? :iiam:

Don't move to Florida. Nobody has any idea how to drive, but they're all terrible differently, so you can't even anticipate the stupidity. About the only good thing is that where I'm at there's a ton of pedal bike & scooter traffic, so people are marginally more aware of the smaller vehicles.

Also, don't move to China.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Once in a while theres the typical person who merges onto the freeway then IMMEDIATELY tries to dive into the left most lane because it's A) Moving faster or B) Less cars in it. These type of people are also the type of people who will drive whatever speed they want in said lane and never yield to faster traffic.

Had a case of this yesterday, late model Honda Civic is just getting onto the freeway, immediately changing lanes left and left again with barely a signal, at this point i'm about side by side with him on the freeway and i'm like "Oh poo poo I bet he is going to go for this lane without checking his blindspot."

Of course he did try to change lanes into me but I was on the horn before he even moved over, although he was already 1/2 way into my lane before he realized a big white Suzuki sticker on blue plastic and swerved back over and waited till I passed, then moved over, and continued to become a smaller and smaller spec in my side mirrors.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Did the biggest stoppie of my life on the CBR this morning in traffic at about 50mph when some old guy cut into my lane 20 feet in front of me going 30 mph slower. Scariest experience I've had on a motorcycle so far. Guess my brakes are ok though.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Boat posted:

Also, don't move to China.

:psyduck:

Christ, this makes driving in Florida look like heaven.

That's a phrase you'll never see again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I was a dummy today. I dared to touch the rear brake in the middle of a HUGE Texas rainstorm. I proceeded to lock up the rear wheel completely, slide the back side of the bike all over the lane back and forth a few times, stall it somehow :confused: and end up remembering my MSF training to get the bike straight before letting off that rear brake. I kept that fucker upright.

I then took a minute at the side of the road to catch my breath, check bike, and check myself before continuing on my way. I've been riding for 2 months now, and this is the scariest thing I've ever had happen. Next time I think I'll stay in with Hurricane-thrown rainstorms out there. I even dared to get on the freeway a bit, people were doing 20mph through half-inch deep water across the whole thing.

I was glad I was in full gear, but it still would have hurt a hell of a lot if I fell over. I'm proud to have kept it upright.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Did the same the other day, streets were wet and I was going downhill towards an intersection. Lights change and I decide I can't make it, accidentally lock up the rear wheel but manage to save it when I remember to let off the rear brake again. Even managed to stop in time, but drat, was pretty pumped and shocked afterward, just sat waiting for the green light without even downshifting so I almost stalled it when I launched again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

infraboy posted:

Once in a while theres the typical person who merges onto the freeway then IMMEDIATELY tries to dive into the left most lane because it's A) Moving faster or B) Less cars in it. These type of people are also the type of people who will drive whatever speed they want in said lane and never yield to faster traffic.
I am that guy - but I never yield to faster traffic, because there just isn't any. I do use my brights an awful lot, though.

quote:

...and i'm like "Oh poo poo I bet he is going to go for this lane without checking his blindspot."
I am, however, very much NOT this guy. Center mirror, Side mirror, head check with the word-image-abstraction "motorcycle" in my head. Every time.

• Locked thread