Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Super Slash posted:

Wow, today's weather was horribly awful.

It's been lovely sunny and hot, then this evening it goes dark and grey, then the heavens loving open with lightning cracking all over the place. Normally this isn't a big deal but there was so much drat rain anything resembling a puddle became a tidal wave, plus the humidity made short work of fogging up my glasses (short sighted) on a day where I was wearing a black visor, and to top it off my left mirror came loose in the morning so it was unusable.

Truthfully it was really loving dangerous of me to be out on the road, but I didn't have a choice as I was already out and had to get home in time as our childminder was dropping off my son.

Ah, autumn! I hope it takes you a while before you show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Well, from a riding dynamics standpoint, you basically just stomped on the rear brake at speed. Not a great idea but also less dangerous than, say, hammering on the front brake. If you lock the rear wheel, it'll slide and fishtail around, but you can keep the bike upright and get back under control if you're quick and stay loose. I would avoid doing it in the future. When I was learning to ride, I screwed up a downshift in a turn and popped the clutch in low gear with the engine basically idling. The rear tire locked as the engine spun up, and I slid around the corner and barely kept it upright.

From an engine standpoint, not great to over-rev like that. In theory, spinning the engine past its redline

- can lead to valve float, where the valve springs don't have enough force to push them closed in time before the piston comes back up. That causes piston/valve damage.
- can burn out bearings in the crankshaft or camshaft(s) from overspeed that the oiling system can't keep up with
- can overpressurize the fluids in your engine (oil and coolant) as the pumps run too fast, leading to seal failure
- can cause damage to the pistons' top edges as the conrods stretch under the acceleration, running the pistons higher in the cylinder than they usually do
- can overstress internal chains and belts (e.g. the timing chain) leading to breakage

but all of that is unlikely to happen with just one brief event. I did a similar thing in my car when I was learning to drive (went from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th) and only bad thing to happen was the water pump spun so fast that the overpressure blew out a freeze plug and dumped all of the coolant. If you don't see any leaking fluids, you're probably fine. Change the oil and look for metal particles if you're really concerned about it.

e: oh yeah i forgot. also in old bikes with lovely regulators (and modern mopeds) over-revving the engine can make your headlight bulb explode :haw:

Doesn't the 300 have a slipper clutch anyway?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

Ah, autumn! I hope it takes you a while before you show up.

I can't wait for late October, when Los Angeles will finally be a brisk 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the riding weather will be perfect.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

God it's so loving hot in LA this week

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

God it's so loving hot in LA this week

105 degrees with humidity :shepicide:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It just snowed in the mountains west of town.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I and a friend went up the mountains today. Took one of my favorite roads, though we got out a little later, so all of the other motorcyclists were more or less gone.

Went smoothly, tackled a few corners that gave me trouble before. I'd like to think it's my skill, but probably just me riding slower for the benefit of my friend. (Still a few corners I felt I hosed up, but nothing serious).

But as my friend and I got to the bottom of the valley/reservoir we were driving around, some assholes decided to turn it into Death Race Taiwan. Most of the cars we came across would let us by with no issue, but we came upon some wannabe tofu delivery man driving a lovely Ford Mondeo. I know what you're thinking, "You're on a bike, pass him." But the guy was driving aggressively, crossing the double-yellow, and generally driving in a manner to purposely block my friend and I from passing. Also, I only have a 150 and my friend was riding a 125 scooter, so not exactly pavement shattering acceleration. Frustrating at best, but I just quickly decided to back off and run the course until our turnoff and hope the asshat wasn't going the same way.

Then came rear end in a top hat number 2, driving a loving 5-ton, thinking he'll join whatever race he thinks we're having. The rest of that downhill was a nightmare, between that truck driving like he was doing his best to run us over, and then the jackass in the Ford just not giving up any ground. Both were cutting across the double yellow on blind corners, and running wide open on any straights. I didn't think a 5-ton could stick to a road like that, but when you're running light I guess those big engines will move that poo poo.

Thankfully we got to the bottom of that poo poo unscathed, the road widened up into two lanes, and that truck still pulled some amazingly assholish pass to get between us and the car and almost running a red-light, etc. Thinking back, I probably should've recognized the danger that 5-ton posed when I first noticed him driving fast, and had the space to slow down and let him pass. Unfortunately, I recognized it too late, my friend had bunched up with me preventing me from being able to pull over and let the truck by (I was in the left 'track' of the lane, he was in the right; he closed up so close to me that we were practically side-to-side; I'm going to have to have a long chat with him about that). Once the truck was breathing down my neck, it felt as though it was too late to try to pull off, as I didn't trust that the driver would be able to pass us safely if I tried slowing down and moving over. Also, no shoulders (open drains, yeah); but I kept looking for someplace to pull off onto, to no avail. At some point in time, two bigger bikes leap frogged the whole mess. I briefly questioned my inability to follow suit, but realized even they had trouble getting around that Ford, and they were taking the far shoulder through blind corners because of him (and I wasn't just riding alone). It was a situation where I truly felt I had no escape out of, and knew it was a terrible and dangerous situation.

I'm mulling the whole thing over, it's the first time I've been caught in that situation. Trying to think if/when I should've recognized the danger; if I could've recognized the danger developing and escaped before it ever formed. If I should've just gone ahead and slowed down and trust that the truck driver (probably high on loving betel nuts) would've taken the hint and give us room as he went around. Hell, I always think about how a big bike would be nice for getting around stubborn drivers (like the Ford), but then I'm thinking those guys were nuts, too, for passing that truck and car when and where they did. If I came up from behind the situation and saw a big flat-bed like that driving all over the place, I wouldn't want to put myself in front of him, much less alongside! Part of me is wondering, too, if my friend and I were unlucky and came across two idiots who had a stick up their rear end about bikes and wanted to show us what for, we just being the unfortunate ones to get suck in that poo poo soup.

Right now I'm glad to be out of that mess, and glad we got out painlessly, but gently caress, I don't want to be in that situation again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like you handled it about as well as you could with zero experience and thought applied to it in advance. I generally just pre-emptively yield to any traffic that catches me and stays with me for a bit as if they caught me and stay with me they're going faster than me and I should let them by.

This is why intercoms are essential for new riders, IMO - not only can do it give them immediate feedback when they do something unsafe, it also allows easy coordination for asshat avoidance. At this point, if I ride with you, intercoms are pretty much a requirement and we have spares for friends who come to visit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Z3n posted:

Sounds like you handled it about as well as you could with zero experience and thought applied to it in advance. I generally just pre-emptively yield to any traffic that catches me and stays with me for a bit as if they caught me and stay with me they're going faster than me and I should let them by.

This is why intercoms are essential for new riders, IMO - not only can do it give them immediate feedback when they do something unsafe, it also allows easy coordination for asshat avoidance. At this point, if I ride with you, intercoms are pretty much a requirement and we have spares for friends who come to visit.

Yeah, if I was by myself, I would've let the truck by, and that was my initial reaction. I think it's that situation of lacking experience (I'm coming up on two years on two wheels, my friend has been riding scooters for two months) and not being able to communicate, it made me feel as though coordinating getting over and letting that truck by wasn't a valid option I could take. I suppose on a straighter road it would've been easier to work out, but my mind got stuck on keeping on the road until I could find a place we could pull off.

Thinking about it again, I think I recognized the truck would be trouble when I first saw it catching up with us, I just didn't react to it as soon as I could've.

I've been wanting intercoms for the longest time. It would really help with the small group rides I occasionally do (2-3 people), though normally I just lone wolf it as I like to take some long rides that other people don't like (I "raced" a friend to a nearby city. Took him 30 minutes. Took me 3 hours :v: ) I'm going to be upgrading some of my gear soon, perhaps I'll throw a set.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, if I was by myself, I would've let the truck by, and that was my initial reaction. I think it's that situation of lacking experience (I'm coming up on two years on two wheels, my friend has been riding scooters for two months) and not being able to communicate, it made me feel as though coordinating getting over and letting that truck by wasn't a valid option I could take. I suppose on a straighter road it would've been easier to work out, but my mind got stuck on keeping on the road until I could find a place we could pull off.

Thinking about it again, I think I recognized the truck would be trouble when I first saw it catching up with us, I just didn't react to it as soon as I could've.

I've been wanting intercoms for the longest time. It would really help with the small group rides I occasionally do (2-3 people), though normally I just lone wolf it as I like to take some long rides that other people don't like (I "raced" a friend to a nearby city. Took him 30 minutes. Took me 3 hours :v: ) I'm going to be upgrading some of my gear soon, perhaps I'll throw a set.

the smh5 (with it without fm) is, imo, the best for the money. you can also charge it while it's in use, which is nice. they're kinda rare at cyclegear, i think because retailers wanna sell the more expensive ones. if i could go back, I'd get one instead of the 10r. half the price, same quality, 80% of the features and battery life. both the 10r and smh5-fm are good with and without ear plugs. always use ear plugs.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
NFI if this is almost crash or just "oh poo poo" but here goes:

Windy as poo poo on the way home yesterday. REALLY windy. I don't think much of it except I shift my weight into it.

Get to take a banked highway corner at the posted limit, feeling great, hands loose, knees locked on the tank and I suddenly feel like the bike is slipping and my reflex was to stand it up via the bars. I noticed how 'light' it felt while doing so. Road was dry as a loving bone though, and I wasn't going fast or shifting or dropping throttle or anything.

Then, the cross winds really start battering me, and the bars feel super super light as it happens, like the front is going to wash out on me. I get blown around like a goddamn leaf and basically lay on the tank bag all the way home.

Side gusts nearly blows me totally out of the off ramp into a curb - I caught myself target fixating - and just slowing down by reflex.

When the wind is that gusty besides "don't frigging ride if you can help it" wtf do you do? Just counter steer into the wind? Also, why do the bars feel SO goddamned light when this happens?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What? I've ridden in strong side gusts on the ex250, while around semi's giving their own buffeting, and never felt anything bad. I'm talking really strong gusts, near the coast, on a 300lb bike.

You did ok with all the things you said you did. Going loose on the inputs, not target fixating, etc. Standing up dramatically shifted weight mid corner, and the wind catching you like a sail probably did even more. Don't do that. High wind is no big deal, though.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Coydog posted:

What? I've ridden in strong side gusts on the ex250, while around semi's giving their own buffeting, and never felt anything bad. I'm talking really strong gusts, near the coast, on a 300lb bike.

You did ok with all the things you said you did. Going loose on the inputs, not target fixating, etc. Standing up dramatically shifted weight mid corner, and the wind catching you like a sail probably did even more. Don't do that. High wind is no big deal, though.

I actually was focusing on "don't lean, just stay upright and seated, lock legs loose on your hands" - I didn't stand up. I did lean with the bike, though.

EDIT: you mean standing the bike up?

Also I live in Denver CO and was riding to where I live, Broomfield, which is riiiiiight by the mountains and really plainsey. This is my first experience outside of a big storm being blown about like a leaf.

FWIW Semis never got to me this much, or even a stormy day in Austin.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 5, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Space Whale posted:

I actually was focusing on "don't lean, just stay upright and seated, lock legs loose on your hands" - I didn't stand up. I did lean with the bike, though.

EDIT: you mean standing the bike up?

Also I live in Denver CO and was riding to where I live, Broomfield, which is riiiiiight by the mountains and really plainsey. This is my first experience outside of a big storm being blown about like a leaf.

FWIW Semis never got to me this much, or even a stormy day in Austin.

i lean the bike into the the wind (wheels away from wind) and keep my body upright. it may not be proper but it's comfortable on my rear end

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Verge posted:

i lean the bike into the the wind (wheels away from wind) and keep my body upright. it may not be proper but it's comfortable on my rear end

I tend to scoot into it so the bike stays more upright.

Downside is when the gusts come from all frigging directions because you're in Colorado.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Maybe loosen up on the tank a bit so you're putting more weight on the pegs? In heavy crosswinds I always find loading the pegs up helps a lot.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Space Whale posted:

I tend to scoot into it so the bike stays more upright.

Downside is when the gusts come from all frigging directions because you're in Colorado.

i do this in extreme winds but i keep my weight off the seat. don't know if that's proper, still, but it keeps me agile in case if shifting winds.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Whoopsie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PXdhYRShPo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice save! Did you just lean in too far?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I mean I guess I don't know! the corners were reaaaallllly wacky that early in the day

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It was cold and wet :v:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

good save. i just had this same thing happen to me on the street. at least you were safe on a track though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

good save. i just had this same thing happen to me on the street. at least you were safe on a track though.

It could also have been a highside, which still would have sucked on the track.

Coydog posted:

Nice save! Did you just lean in too far?

To me it looks like his back tire lost grip (probably due to the wet and maybe that tar snake too) and kicked out pretty far before getting traction again. It made my butt pucker just watching it. Good save.

Edit
Vvvv
Thanks for that.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 5, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I mean I guess I don't know! the corners were reaaaallllly wacky that early in the day

There's your problem. Either it's got a little seam and you tram-tracked (it pulled your wheel along straight) or it was fresh and so shiny as gently caress and especially if it was damp those fuckers can be like ice. After a few people have been over it it'll be scrubbed-in enough to not be a problem.

Nice save though, how was your underwear afterwards?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

pretty creased with a butthole scrunch. I guess I was just bummed that I brought the rain from Seattle with me and that it was gonna be like that all day.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

sorry, safe-ish. miles better than the street is all i mean.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dunno if Ben is a goon, but here he is almost binning my Tuono
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRmKs1ZJVk

:lol:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Welp I went on ride this afternoon to clear my end and lost my front end. There's a series of corners on my favourite twisties route that until recently was completelty torn up on a few corners and the council recently decided to go through and patch them up which involved ripping up all the tarmac and laying down some really sloppy gravel. Was sensible to negotiate the first two patches but got overconfident on the last one, was on the throttle and leaned over as I hit the gravel and the front end just quite merrily washed out.

I'm pretty sure this was more dumb luck than by design but all I remember is what managed to feel like an eternity of the handlebars flopping around uselessly. I've had little blips before where I have lost traction but the bike has sorted itself but this felt like there was more than enough time for me to make the wrong move. I don't know how, but I guess I must have stayed steady on the throttle, loose enough on the handles and the front tire finally dug in and I kept on rolling through that corner shiny side up.

Again, I think it's more dumb luck that I managed to get out of that without a lowside, I have barely been riding that much. For future reference - apart from what I'd imagine to be the best advice being, don't put your dumb self in that situation, is there anything specific that there is to do in those situations?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Don't panic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Basically exactly what you did - the handlebars were flopping about as the front wheel looked for traction and if you had been stiff on the bars or let off the throttle you would have stopped it from finding that traction or transferred weight to the front and probably caused the bike to crash. When it starts sliding like that, you have to hold everything steady for a moment to let it sort itself out.

If you want to get more experience with these things, take a class where you ride small dirt bikes, flat track, or supermoto to get accustomed to sliding a bike around.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
go to cornerspin

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Razzled posted:

go to cornerspin

Yeah absolutely. If it does the same thing for my street riding like my last course did then I'm sure it'll be life changing. I know I have been given this advice before but I'm in rear end backwards kiwi land but I'll go looking for a local equivalent.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Been riding the SV650, not the Harley in my display pic.

Ok guys I just put myself in a situation where I could've been royally hosed. This is going story mode. It all started about a week ago when it was icy. I rode in said ice. At first the random fishtails were scary but I learned to like them. Then I found myself powersliding through a very slow corner. First powerslide ever, not intentional. Remembered things, decided to twist throttle. Must've been right because it worked (disclaimer: I may have just gotten lucky - don't do as I do). Anyway, I ended up having to turn back because my visor froze over and I was worried about going up a frozen onramp w/ limited visibility. This isn't the almost-crashed story, though. This is what caused the near-crash.

I realize now I've gotten a bit of a taste for disposing of rear wheel traction then regaining it (gonna have to find a positive outlet for this) and I've been taking wet corners much faster. Most of the time I get through w/ nothing, maybe a tiny fishtail. Don't know exactly how close to the razor's edge that is but I'm already admitting to being stupid as gently caress so go easy. I was taking an exit from one highway to another. You can plug 44.065636, -123.099605 into google maps and itll show you where. I hosed up my line (went inside waaaaaaay too early because I got scared or something) and decided once I realized this to just stay inside the line. Bike felt unstable so I locked up, failed to body lean enough and ended up fishtailing on the line (due to its slipperiness in the rain of course) and being in the right-most portion of the left lane. If there had been a car there (luckily there was like...no one nearby) I woulda smashed right into them. GPS coordinate of where fishtail occurred for the confused: 44.066352, -123.100245

Corner exit speed: 78mph and I didn't gun it on exit (was busy not crashing)

I'd also like to add that IF there were a car there, I would've avoided it, but I can't because I don't think I would've.

All in all I clearly need to put a limiter on my bike [tone: exaggerating] until I calm down, I know. Obligatory mistake tally:

Going too loving fast for conditions
Going too fast for the street
Rear tire does not have sufficient tread for these shenanigans in the rain (it got hosed up from the ice/sand mixture because rolling burnouts happened)
Early corner apex
Locked up and didn't properly lean (though I didn't get crossed up)

Honestly the only thing I did right was applying more throttle and not target fixing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

Been riding the SV650, not the Harley in my display pic.

Ok guys I just put myself in a situation where I could've been royally hosed. This is going story mode. It all started about a week ago when it was icy. I rode in said ice. At first the random fishtails were scary but I learned to like them. Then I found myself powersliding through a very slow corner. First powerslide ever, not intentional. Remembered things, decided to twist throttle. Must've been right because it worked (disclaimer: I may have just gotten lucky - don't do as I do). Anyway, I ended up having to turn back because my visor froze over and I was worried about going up a frozen onramp w/ limited visibility. This isn't the almost-crashed story, though. This is what caused the near-crash.

I realize now I've gotten a bit of a taste for disposing of rear wheel traction then regaining it (gonna have to find a positive outlet for this) and I've been taking wet corners much faster. Most of the time I get through w/ nothing, maybe a tiny fishtail. Don't know exactly how close to the razor's edge that is but I'm already admitting to being stupid as gently caress so go easy. I was taking an exit from one highway to another. You can plug 44.065636, -123.099605 into google maps and itll show you where. I hosed up my line (went inside waaaaaaay too early because I got scared or something) and decided once I realized this to just stay inside the line. Bike felt unstable so I locked up, failed to body lean enough and ended up fishtailing on the line (due to its slipperiness in the rain of course) and being in the right-most portion of the left lane. If there had been a car there (luckily there was like...no one nearby) I woulda smashed right into them. GPS coordinate of where fishtail occurred for the confused: 44.066352, -123.100245

Corner exit speed: 78mph and I didn't gun it on exit (was busy not crashing)

I'd also like to add that IF there were a car there, I would've avoided it, but I can't because I don't think I would've.

All in all I clearly need to put a limiter on my bike [tone: exaggerating] until I calm down, I know. Obligatory mistake tally:

Going too loving fast for conditions
Going too fast for the street
Rear tire does not have sufficient tread for these shenanigans in the rain (it got hosed up from the ice/sand mixture because rolling burnouts happened)
Early corner apex
Locked up and didn't properly lean (though I didn't get crossed up)

Honestly the only thing I did right was applying more throttle and not target fixing.

Go buy a cheap dirt bike and ride in the dirt.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

do this anyways because its just darn good advice

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

This is the best advice. There is a class in NC called Cornerspin that a few of us have done that was basically two days of getting the rear tire to break loose. If I had a place to ride a dirt bike, I'd buy a cheap one and do those drills as much as possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yup, sounds like you need to start in on dirt biking.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Yeah I think you guys are right ;)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Was lazily checking my mirror on the ten today and almost rear ended a hapless EG hatch. Sorry civic! I panic braked and swerved and the front washed out. Didn't crash tho. Need to not lanesplit when I'm tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Was lazily checking my mirror on the ten today and almost rear ended a hapless EG hatch. Sorry civic! I panic braked and swerved and the front washed out. Didn't crash tho. Need to not lanesplit when I'm tired

Holy poo poo this is my worst fear. Good recovery bro.

• Locked thread