Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ijii posted:

I just had the scariest ride on my bike since I started riding back in April 2009.

It rained hard and long today, but I didn't know that because I was stuck in the back of the store I work. Because I live in the desert where flora doesn't soak up the water, bunch of runoff water creates mini rivers called washes.

I crossed many washes where it could have swept my bike off it's tires. My visibility was poor because there was enough moisture that cars in front of me was kicking up on my visor. That and it was night time.

Even made it to one wash where cars wouldn't even cross.

The only way I could see properly was to put my visor up. BIG MISTAKE. It wasn't raining, but crossing a wash at the same time as an oncoming car blinded me for a good long 5 seconds when I was trying to cross a long wash.

I got my feet soaked from crossing like 5 washes I shouldn't have crossed.

Oh, I also had to cross some construction zones where they completely hosed up the road. Pot holes, dips, and lots of rocks and pebbles filled these roads.

Thankfully I made it home safe. I should just have stayed at my place of employment for another 2 hours at least.
Another Arizona goon? We've had heavy storms the past few days here and it ended up being the first real rain riding I've done on the zx6r. I found out quickly that heavy throttle will break traction in first gear easily... which is fine, until you start loving with it to try and feel the bike out 'in a controlled situation' and almost highside yourself to the moon like a dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

This is also why it's a good idea to never out ride your sight lines.

This is also why I stick to roads that are twisty enough that 40-50mph is a really quick pace and ~40mph is fun enough.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Clank posted:

The other day some guy was walking his bicycle across the road ahead of me, (I was the only one on the road, no cars) and he just stops on the median like hes going to let me go by. But just as I'm getting close he loving steps out in to the dead center of the road. I had to swerve around him, I don't know what he was thinking. Maybe dehydration, maybe he just felt like being a dick.

I usually roll away at great speed when someone is a dick to me on the bike but I think that is one of the few times I would have turned around and had words.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can brake in corners, you just can't jam them on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What kind of bike?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been a front brake only person for a long time but good god, never mention this to other riders without feeling it out first or knowing they are track riders.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I will drag it over crests to keep the front down and if I am pulling off the road into gravel or something.

I've read that you can use it to tighten up your line in corners, but I haven't really wanted to test it because most of the race bikes you see have swiss cheesed rotors (reducing friction), a lot of the race pads are less aggressive than stock (Kit Kawi rear pads are, at least), and I don't trust not to gently caress up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I think this depends on how heavily the front brakes are applied. A light touch on the front brakes will not stand the bike up when cranked over, but if you start hauling on the front binders, the bike will stand itself up pretty aggressively, regardless of your pressure on the bars. At least I've noticed this tendency on both my CBR and my KTM, and they were both pretty bang-on suspension wise.

Do you notice how once you're in a corner you can take your hands off the bar and the bike will hold the line? I feel like when I am braking I need to force the bars to keep the line held.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AncientTV posted:

Am I thinking of the same 4WD, vehicles that simply power all four wheels? Why would you ever need a separate license for that? They drive pretty much the same on the street.

He means SUVs in American terms.

Most of the '4WDs' out there are only 2wd in reality, notable exceptions include the 91-97 LandCruiser w/ elocker option (miss mine :() and the Jeep Rubicon.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 18, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What do you ride again?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You've smoked the crack, welcome to the beginning of hooligan poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KodiakRS posted:

Bonus points, I got it on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiHZARuCFgU
(The close call happens at about 1:35

Oh hay, SRC.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Think about what the suspension does as you roll on the throttle (hint: it extends).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Pretty drat. I get about a centimeter from using the whole tire judging from the wear pattern, and I was trying to get a little more speed through that turn than I usually do. Body positioning I had my rear end centered in the seat, head off to the side. I try to do the old "kiss the mirror" thing but I rarely shift my seat over because it seems a bit ridiculous for the street and I feel like I'm not doing it right.

As an aside, doing that probably puts a bunch of input through the bars because when you shift your rear end over you lock your heel against the rearset (this is why peoples outside foot points up midcorner instead of straight ahead like normall) and put a lot of the holding your body does on your thighs/leg instead of arms. You've got a lot of lean left if there is a cm chickenstrip and you're not off the seat at all.

I'd probably guess suspension related; I've had a bike pogo on me before but I was riding much harder than I should have been and on stock SV suspension that hadn't been touched since new.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 7, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because drunk, obviously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You should be fine, the triple is hilariously easy to ride compared to an inline 4 because the power delivery is pretty linear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are a lot of downhill skateboarders where I do canyon runs... poo poo is cool as gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I feel like it's almost more dangerous than a bike, but then again I've never skateboarded. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do you have an article for that antenna? Cool as gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... where are the pics of the fightered RC51?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Been busy, leaving town on work tomorrow. It's my wife's new bike :) I'm probably going to the dark side and getting a 1290.

So, having never ridden an RC51, is it everything I've ever dreamed it could be? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, wait until the fuckin monsoons come after it hasn't rained for months. Slides ahoy!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do the weave and prepare to evade if there is a shadow of a doubt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

I mean I had plenty of room to avoid being hit but she was absolutely oblivious to the motorcycle near her driver door as she changed lanes?
Yes, and obviously get used to powering out of these situations rather than letting it happen thinking you're in control.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You have a lot of time to save the front from tucking under braking when straight up and down... now when you add lean angle. yeah, poo poo disappears into thin air.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Verge posted:

I understand wanting to be a squid on some levels (stupidly quick, stunting) but ASPIRING not to wear gear?

Serious question: would a spine protector be useful (with all the rest of the gear, not naked like a dumbass) on the street.

I wear a Forcefield L2K Evo every time I ride a street bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's SO thin and it conforms so well to your body. A+, worth the money over the thick Alpinestars Bionic I originally rode with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is your text weird, or is it me.

loving Japanese encoding on the font. Really annoying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Your ambition outweighed your talent
You're not going to 'run out of tire'

Also, you run harder compound race tires when it's cold.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 20, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Verge posted:

what the actual gently caress? does anyone else think something's wrong with his brakes? doesn't explain how you lost control while engine braking, what are you riding?

The only time I've locked the rear from engine braking alone that wasn't because of dropping a bunch of gears and dumping the clutch was riding Q2s in snow below 0f.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seems like you've had a bunch of 'moments' lately, you should probably chill the gently caress out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Weren't you the one talking about spinning up the rear across lines and stuff like last week?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It was cold and wet :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dunno if Ben is a goon, but here he is almost binning my Tuono
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRmKs1ZJVk

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

Last night I slowed to stop at a red light. Five seconds later I hear tire screeches, silence, then a maxima flies past me in my lane, and just blows through the red light. They were probably going 45, even after all the hard braking that they gave up on. :catstare:

edit: not sure if this is the right thread but I felt like sharing and it was an almost crash so

I almost got done like this too. They brushed my elbow, went through the light, hit the red light camera on the other side of the intersection, and rolled over. I didn't wait around.

• Locked thread