Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synonamess Botch posted:

OK I gotta ask about this - when I took the MSF some 5 years ago they told me to never ever release the rear if it locks because it could easily send you into a high-side. Is that true? I've only locked my rear brake a handful of times in emergencies, but countless times on purpose. So I'm certainly no expert. But it seems like it would only throw you if the back end really got away from you. Whenever I've done it on purpose it's been a non-issue, but that's probably because I was maintaining control the whole time. So now I'm not so sure.

It is probably taught that way at the MSF because for new riders and people unfamiliar with bike/tire/road conditions, keeping the tire locked is safer. If you sliding the rear and it suddenly grips, your bike will lurch to the outside of the turn (the direction you are sliding). If you are sliding quickly, it will result probably result in a high-side. If you are going fairly straight, it shouldn't be a problem.

People with a greater innate understanding of their ride and road could probably get away with ignoring that bit of MSF training, but would have to compensate with advanced techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was on my way to a waterfall, riding up a windy valley road. I rounded this blind corner to find a car coming at me, hogging my side of the road. They were right next to the dirt covered shoulder adjacent to the abyssal drainage ditch that drops a good 30cm. I was able to skirt by the car, going over plants and who knows what. I really despise Japan's open-pit gaijin-traps on the side of many rural roads.

Said road and gaijin-trap, car placement not accurate to encounter:

• Locked thread