Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spiffness posted:

So the lesson is: Ride supermoto people.

This saved my rear end yesterday. Went riding in the mountains and took a road I hadn't tried before. Great road but it is in lovely condition and had gravel everywhere. Slid around a lot more than I would have liked to on the SV, plan on going back with the DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

On the SV I use the rear brake when it is wet out or if there is junk on the road. In emergency stops I tend to stomp the rear brake then modulate the front.

On supermoto or dirt bikes I use the rear brake all the time. Mostly to ride like a jackass sliding up to stop lights and stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Had a nice close call this morning. Was running a bit late and riding like a total dong, important to get that out of the way.

Coming up to a 4 way light with turn lanes some rear end in a top hat decides she can make it (turning left across traffic) before me and the rest of the traffic go through. This would have been fine if a)I would have been going the speed limit (riding like a dong) and b)she didn't panic and stop sideways blocking in my lane. Cue very hard braking with a quick lane check and swerving into the other lane. Missed her rear bumper by a foot or two. Way too close for comfort.

Could have been prevented by slowing the gently caress down and expecting people to be complete retards. Also need to bleed my front brakes, didn't feel right under really hard braking.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 6, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

Oddly it seems to be a part of many of the close calls, I guess I should take a lesson from this.

Same here, seems riding like a dong may be dangerous after all. Considering I've put on ~28k miles in <1.5 years of riding I have had very few close calls, especially while not riding like a dong.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well more reinforcement to not trust anyone on the road yesterday. Out messing around on the CRF and pull up to a stop sign. Wait a while for a break in traffic to turn left. Van with right blinker on starts slowing down so I pull out. Driver hits the ABS and is on the horn...I was a couple feet from being t-boned.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

I won't even pull into traffic in a car until I see someone with a blinker on actually begin to turn. The blinker means nothing to me when it comes to perpendicular traffic.

That is usually my rule so not sure why I made the stupid exception yesterday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

1) Turn on left blinker
I've added arm signals to this list. I figure a large movement of a hi-viz arm coming out should get some attention.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

On the topic of bird strikes. Friend hit a huge owl when we were out for a group ride, almost knocked him off his bike. When we went back a week later it was still on the side of the road, pretty sure it was a great horned owl.

I've hit a few smaller ones. One hit square in the headlight on the SV and cracked the front glass. Other one hit me in the shoulder and left a nice bruise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Arcane posted:

I call my dad and lucky for me he's actually only a mile away. He meets up with me to check it out. He turns the wheel and I see this:

drat that is scary, I've never seen a tire do that

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Close call this morning...lucky to not be posting this from the hospital.

Pull up to a stop light, hug the center line since car ahead (camry) of me is sitting right of center in the lane. One car pulls up behind (explorer), also right of center in the lane. Then hear squealing tires from behind me.

Had just enough time to get next to the car in front of me before the collision. Explorer bumper ends up where the back window of the camry used to be, I got sprayed with glass from either the back windows or rear glass.

All occupants of both cars were sent out in ambulances, cop that was 4-5 cars back had me provide statement and make sure I was ok. Still shaking a bit a half hour later, way too drat close.

TLDR: Never Ever sit in the middle of the lane, especially at a traffic light.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Reminder, to never ever relax:

Kind of similar, had a fun ride home yesterday afternoon. Left work early feeling like poo poo so I got to deal with school traffic. Some idiot had been following close for a few miles, backing off for a 1/2 mile or so whenever I turned around or pointed at them. Getting close to the school it goes to 25 zone so I slow down, idiot comes within a couple feet of my rear wheel. I planned on splitting to the front of the light by the school but someone decided they were in the wrong lane at the last minute and blocked my path.

Sitting at light and the idiot keeps inching closer and closer. By this point I feel like I'm about to vomit and am really pissed off at the idiot behind me. Then he loving bumps my rear wheel so I let the bike fall over (slowly). He's boxed in, a cop saw the whole thing and I'm pissed off so I blow up.

Storm up to his window, he's talking on his phone staring at me with the most confused look on his face. After screaming at him for what felt like five minutes the cop walks over to make sure I'm alright. Guy got a couple tickets and a scuff on his front bumper, SV got another little scratch on the handlebar ends. After it was all done took off my helmet, threw up, put my helmet back on, picked up the bike and went home where I passed out until this morning.

TLDR:I got "rear ended" sitting at a light and flipped the gently caress out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Also, get a very loud horn and swap it from the left side of your bike to the right.
Loud horn helps sometimes and is better than the OEM joke they put on bikes but don't count on it.

Was on the interstate left side of the far left lane (4 lane), guy in next lane over decided he wanted to be in the left lane. He starts merging while I'm lined up next to him. I tap the air horn, nothing...hold it down and he just looks over at me and keeps slowly coming over.

I made the mistake of not leaving myself a huge escape path since the guy behind me came flying up and there was a car in front of me. I opted to hop on the wide, clean shoulder and put some distance between us. Some people are just assholes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS.

The difference being any idiot can stomp the pedal in a car and stop quickly and safely, a bike takes a bit more finesse especially if you don't have ABS. Add in to that reaction time, road conditions, being mid-corner or anything else and it gets ugly.

Following distance is your friend.

Not disagreeing with you though realbiglizard...bike brakes are awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pulled into work this morning, go to put my foot down to back it into the spot and step on a pebble or something. Don't know how I saved it but I was very close to the angle of no return.

Pull into the garage, put my foot down and stop on a nut. Foot goes sliding and I catch the bike with the wall :downs:

No more riding for me today.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah it will happen. My SV has been dropped, knocked over and fallen over so many times I don't even worry about it anymore.

I've thought about getting a nice shiny new bike but I'd drop it and feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I'm still a dummy because: I was still following too closely despite backing off, especially given the driver was obviously distracted. I'm also changing my commute route to avoid that goddamned intersection because stupid poo poo is always going down there.

Good move on this. The old house I was at had four main routes I could take to work, sadly the one I really enjoyed had not one but two horrible intersections that I almost got taken out in. Changed my route and avoided those spots and my commute was a lot less stressful in exchange for being a little more boring.

A well executed emergency swerve feels pretty sweet after the fact.

• Locked thread