Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the other thread.

I decided today that my bike really wanted to take a nap at the gas station. I hadn't rode for ~month due to bike issues then my issues, so I took her out today.

First stop was gas, so I make the turn into the gas station, pull right up to the pump, stand up, notice the bike is now on the ground. This is the first time I've ever laid it down, and it's just cause I flicked the kickstand instead of my usual pushing it until I feel it's down and locked.

The guy behind me in an SUV laughed a little, causing me to laugh harder than I was. I did a once over and the only problem was the clutch was loose, so I rode home expecting that to snap at any moment, my Uturn was a very awkward accelerate out in first gear, tap to neutral, uturn, up to second.

Everything seems to be fine, the clutch cable worked itself out back to it's usual position, I couldn't find any binding in it's routing, but all the "threads" of the cable are intact it seems. My folding bar end mirrors just folded, and the only thing hurt was my pride.

Needless to say I decided today was not the day to start riding again, tomorrow is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I thought braking widened you corner, even rear?

Aren't you supposed to give it a little gas to 'walk' the tire out or something?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

KARMA! posted:

you have to counter the front's tendency to stand the bike up

I think this is what I was thinking of. I never have had a need to brake in a fast turn though, even 15-double the recommended speed it feels like I could have gone faster. I do trail brake in parking lots and the like.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I hate any vehicle bigger than a 4 door with a passion. Especially since there will be just one small person in it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
4 door = sedan....

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't even know what a two way feeder is, as in a 2 lanes perpendicular to a freeway and the split right before it or something? Internet is being useless

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Ah thanks. In Socal so the closest thing we have is getting to Palomar mountain heading eastbound.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Try it in a minivan full of people and you'll instantly feel the hatred.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Know the limits of your front brake and what it feels like when it breaks loose. Releasing and re-applying your front brake when it does lose traction will probably save your life one day.

For the rear if it locks and you are not in a straight line do not release it, just hold it as you've only lost 10% of braking power anyways. If your bike is tracking straight you can release and reapply.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I would have stopped, and beat him senseless for that.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Safety Dance posted:

I dated a girl like that once.

ONCE!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Another 0 MPH crash to add. Seriously, this is the third drat time I've dropped or had the bike fall over.

1: In Garage on center stand: Still have no clue why, but the center stand collapsed while I was around 5ft away, only thing that makes sense is I disturbed it when cleaning the chain and it just took it's sweet time. It was tied too, but it snapped the string cause it was probably too loose/thin.

2: Pulled up to a gas station and didn't lock the side stand in place, so I set it down very gently on it's side.

Today: Wheeled it out of the garage started the bike and went to get off to gear up. When I got off I caught my right foot, and put my weight on the bike, on a downhill slope. I jumped up on the one planted foot, but it was too late. This was just as my dad drove up the driveway too, perfect timing if you enjoy being laughed at.

No damage from any of this other than too my ego. Folding mirrors and no fairings. I apparently should not be trusted around bikes below ~1 mph.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't think it's poorly aimed headlights, I think it's that every shithead and his dog had HID lights these days. Hate those loving things.

They're also illegal to put on if the car didn't originally come with them right? Or is that just Cali.

People still do it anyways, but I had a friend get a fix-it ticket for his just tacked on top of speeding.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
80% is perfect world, which rarely translates into the real world. Are your tires still grooved like new, was the road surface uniform and in good condition, was this the first rain in a while? All of those will change the Coefficient of Friction by a significant amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Reminder, to never ever relax:

Commuting home from work just now, a real easy 4 mile trip on side streets, do it every day, etc. Split past 2-2 cars up to a stoplight, waited for green and was about to gas it, but remembered to look both ways because it's kind of a lovely intersection. I looked left straight at a black Mercedes that had ran the red super late, and brought another car along behind him to his left. The cars on either side of me who hadn't looked all had to slam on their brakes.

I was so angry that I reflexively mashed both my horn and my engine kill switch :downs:

If I had accidentally timed the split perfectly with the light, I probably would have rolled straight into the intersection and been creamed like a goddamn fool.

I tend to mash my starter...

Apparently I need to practice panic honking.

• Locked thread