Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

At least my motorcycle makes me more progressive. The tinted visor hides my objectifying male gaze.

A sad truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sounds more like a crash than an "almost crash". Glad you are ok! Stuff like that is pretty jarring. Good thing the bike didn't take significant damage. You can just replace the engine cover and various soft bits, and it will be good to go, right? When you say crash pad, you mean frame sliders? They may have twisted, but at least they didn't catch and topple the bike. Time to hit up woodcraft for some high quality bits.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

wtf you think they invented the drz? drop it, destroy its engine and leave it on the freeway, run it into local flora, off-road, on-road, no problem.

Chiche is the reason I never want to own a DRZ. I don't trust them, and would instead rather have a wr250x.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

don't believe in that gently caress head, believe in me

I WANT to believe. Instead my view of drz has been soiled by ideas of it being a big, heavy, shaky, farm machinery sounding, unreliable, pile of bolts quickly moving away from each other.

When I think of the wr250x, I see a clean, lightweight, nimble, supermoto. Plus I like EFI.

CLEARLY, you just need to let me ride your sm to change my mindset. ;)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, man. I would rather just die in a crash than break all those bones and get all tore up! That's why I don't wear any gear. If a crash is bad enough to kill me without gear on, I don't want to survive!

Joking aside, I can't count how many times I've heard this. :eng99:

I actually had a prospective rider excitedly telling me that "for my first year riding, you know, I just want to be a SQUID!!! Those guys are so cool! I want to just ride the fastest thing I can get and never wear gear and just do crazy stuff!!". After that, I made an excuse to leave, started my bike, and got out of there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I require my forums to be in MLA format.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I saw that coming ans was thinking "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!". I'm glad you narrowly escaped that. A bright orange bike is so hard for other drivers to see.

I had an old lady in a massive suv almost head on me coming out a narrow single lane entranceway. I'm glad I didn't enter it too fast, as the hedge blocked her from my view, and I was able to just split to the side. It was close, though, but nothing special because it's literally every day that drivers do these things.

Oh and last week a car drifted 80% into my lane on the apex of a narrow blind two lane corner. If I hadn't been taking the outside line and not leaned, I would not have a bike right now.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had this same situation at night with a bat in the mountains a couple days ago. In my case, the bat hit my helmet at 60mph. :(

I'm glad you survived your brush with moto-avian activities. I've had massive vultures come within inches of my helmet before, and it's an awesome/startling experience.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a "good job!" for not lifting on the rear. It's a hard thing to stop yourself from doing. You'll be even better next time.

Next time force yourself to look for escape routes, rather than risk fixating on one thing and making stopping your only option.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

also possible for the bike to flip with the rider

This kills the mailbox.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What? I've ridden in strong side gusts on the ex250, while around semi's giving their own buffeting, and never felt anything bad. I'm talking really strong gusts, near the coast, on a 300lb bike.

You did ok with all the things you said you did. Going loose on the inputs, not target fixating, etc. Standing up dramatically shifted weight mid corner, and the wind catching you like a sail probably did even more. Don't do that. High wind is no big deal, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice save! Did you just lean in too far?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What bike do you have, again? That was fantastic to watch. Nice save, and you didn't target fixate!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

A MIRACLE posted:

Endo'd today splitting Vermont north at a spot where people let other people thru

What do you ride, and how awesome was that endo?

Were any mailboxes harmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last night I slowed to stop at a red light. Five seconds later I hear tire screeches, silence, then a maxima flies past me in my lane, and just blows through the red light. They were probably going 45, even after all the hard braking that they gave up on. :catstare:

edit: not sure if this is the right thread but I felt like sharing and it was an almost crash so

• Locked thread