Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
2 biggest dummy mistakes I had since I've started riding back in early April (just now broke 2000 mile mark):

1. Traveling on a 3 lane one way road in the far left lane. I got frustrated because big car in front of me was driving a bit under the speed limit. I sped up and switched lanes and saw immediately that someone was crossing on the designated crosswalk (bunch of them with no traffic signal, just a sign). I braked pretty hard and my rear tire locked and skid a fair distance. I almost had a heart attack because it was the first time I locked a tire.

2. I was riding home after work and I wasn't entirely focused on what's in front of me. As I approached the last intersection I stopped right on top of a fresh oil spill, I even remember my mind was thinking "Hm... that's a really black spot." When the light turned green I accelerated somewhat quick and my rear tire fishtailed right through the whole intersection. Again a near heart attack that I could have easily avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I just had the scariest ride on my bike since I started riding back in April 2009.

It rained hard and long today, but I didn't know that because I was stuck in the back of the store I work. Because I live in the desert where flora doesn't soak up the water, bunch of runoff water creates mini rivers called washes.

I crossed many washes where it could have swept my bike off its tires. My visibility was poor because there was enough moisture that cars in front of me was kicking up on my visor. That and it was night time.

Even made it to one wash where cars wouldn't even cross.

The only way I could see properly was to put my visor up. BIG MISTAKE. It wasn't raining, but crossing a wash at the same time as an oncoming car blinded me for a good long 5 seconds when I was trying to cross a long wash.

I got my feet soaked from crossing like 5 washes I shouldn't have crossed.

Oh, I also had to cross some construction zones where they completely hosed up the road. Pot holes, dips, and lots of rocks and pebbles filled these roads.

Thankfully I made it home safe. I should just have stayed at my place of employment for another 2 hours at least.

EDIT: "its"

ijii fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 18, 2010

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Another Arizona goon? We've had heavy storms the past few days here and it ended up being the first real rain riding I've done on the zx6r. I found out quickly that heavy throttle will break traction in first gear easily... which is fine, until you start loving with it to try and feel the bike out 'in a controlled situation' and almost highside yourself to the moon like a dipshit
Yes, Arizona citizen.

modify_evolution posted:

So we get back on the freeway. I end up behind a pick-up truck with crap in the back. I'd been behind him for awhile, and nothing was shifting or moving around. When all of a sudden, a giant black garbage bag flies out of the back of the truck, and plasters itself to my windshield and front fairing.
I had that almost happen to me once, although the bag didn't come from a truck, but it was floating around in the wind and went right above my helmet.

Also be weary of truck tires blowing out. Have had it happen twice to me with trucks directly in front of me. Thankfully both times it happened at fairly low speeds so I was able to move around the big pieces of curled rubber. The extremely loud unexpected bangs did give me a near heart attack as well.

• Locked thread