Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Didn't crash/"wasn't my fault" but got merged into for the first time ever last night - by a police car of all things. Was in the turn left lane at traffic lights and she was in the turn left/go straight ahead one and suddenly switched into my lane. Had me up against the gutter about 3cm from a park traffic light pole and two random dudes in order to avoid her. Was not fun, was shaking the whole way back to my destination (conveniently a pub to have a drink to calm myself down).

Was pretty much the most scary thing of the last few years of my life.

I don't know what I could have done differently - I kept my 3 seconds, made sure I could see her when I was following behind and then I could see her passenger when I moved into the turn left lane - she made an illegal left merge when it happened. I'm just lucky her passenger was looking at these guys on the side of the road and must have yelled at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

deliverator posted:

Well, this one's embarrassing. I'll put it in this thread instead of the crash thread, because we all get freaked out when that thread gets bumped. :v:

So, I wanted to ride like a dong but the cager ahead of me was holding me back. He wanted to teeter at the brink of the posted speed limit, and as it's a windy two-lane road there's no way around him. rear end in a top hat. I figure I'll just pull over and let him get a ways ahead, so I can ride dong-ishly for a bit until I catch up to him, repeat.

I slow down and intend to pull to a stop in this gravel next to the road. Turns out it's a light sprinkle of gravel to camouflage a mud bog. My front tire instantly went sideways and I faceplanted.

No damage to the bike that didn't spray off with a garden hose. No damage to me. But I was wearing the same exact gear I had on the last time I went down! This stuff is cursed.

Moral of the story? I don't think there is one. Be wary of mud in disguise?

Maybe that car driver just wanted you to eat his dust.

:smug:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Guess I can add to this - was heading to my friends place to say hello and came around the corner to her house, knowing that the road had been repaved recently and doesn't see much traffic.

Decided to cut the corner as there was nobody else about and had the front tyre wash out and slide about 2 foot on me before it got grip again and I managed to straighten the bike out. Probably the closest I've come to dumping it on the road so far, although I think I handled it fairly well - stood it up and straightened the wheel so it didn't grip and just dump the bike.

Was my own fault for a) cutting the corner
b) I knew the road was poo poo and gravely so I shouldn't have tried to take it like a normal corner

Oh well, at least I didn't lay 'er dan!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Was on the highway today, thinking about things, and went to merge into the "fast" lane to overtake a slightly slow car. Indicated, checked my mirror and started to move as I done my shoulder check.

Said shoulder check saved my life as there was a van just behind my shoulder.

Sure got my head out of the clouds!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress me, this is turning out to be a bad week for me regarding riding.

Had to pop into Ipswich today (a city in QLD) which is about 50km up the highway from where I live. About a 30~ min ride.

Woke up, popped into work, picked up the paperwork I needed to take into Ipswich and headed out. Got about 3/4 of the way there and go to do an overtake and got extremely light headed, bike went way wide, right to the other side of the road, tried to get back into my normal line and it was just wobbly as gently caress, my vision was about the size of a teacup plate with the rest blacked out and I was looking directly in front of my wheel when I would usually be looking 70 - 100m ahead.

I don't know what the hell happened, I just indicated to let the person behind me know I was about to pull off the highway, gave them a few seconds then hit the brakes and geared down as fast as I could without falling off. Jumped off the bike, threw off my helmet, gloves and jacket and just lied on the side of the highway for 15 minutes or so trying to get back to feeling good enough to get back on my noble steed.

I think I was just dehydrated/hungry as gently caress or something - I skipped breakfast and had only had a coffee. Was feeling fine until then.

idk. Scared the crap out of me.

Oh - not one person stopped to see if I was ok. Jerks.

Where the blue truck is is basically where I had to pull over. Not the best spot to pull over :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Kind of curious as to the top speed of a 9kw "bike"?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

12kw. What a beast. I bet its a hoot to ride though :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sigh ...

Had a super smooth moment on the bike today - dropped the number plate from the FZR off at the council building* and hopped back on the bike to leave, had to back out and across the road to my lane. Easy enough right?

Crossed the centre line, turned to point in the correct direction, got where I wanted to be pointed and put on the front brake .. a bit hard.

Queue bike sitting there at a 35 degree angle from the ground and me holding onto it desperately to keep it from dropping (completely). Picked it up and sat back on it, looked around;

"Nobody saw that ri... damnit."

Old lady drives past at a putt in her Commodore banging her hand on the steering wheel laughing her rear end off :(

*Which is in the dead centre of town pretty much :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think I had one of those days yesterday - after my near fall in that post 2 up I spent half the night in hospital getting my eye looked at -_-' I think I got something in it when I was riding home and they can't remove it which is really loving annoying.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I had a serious ... scare today. I wouldn't really say scare as I didn't get scared or anything I just got really pissed off. I was going down the main street of my town which is basically a 2 lane street with buildings on the side, sidewalks, etc, stopped at the ped-xing for the people to cross then took off again - from the ped-xing there is a hardware, a side alley then a post office - heaps of room to get through, keep an eye out for people, etc.

I'm the first vehicle in line, go across the Ped-Xing and get to the far side of the post office where a Ute is 'parked'. No indicator, nothing, when I get to equal with his rear tail light he suddenly pulls out. Had I not been in the centre of the lane and on the curb-side tyre track I would have been cleaned up instantly. As it was I reefed the bike into the oncoming traffic lane and jammed on the brakes - I remember feeling the rear one lock up but I was safe on the front one (thankfully). The stupid old prick driving the ute obviously didn't do his shoulder check and then just kept on going - didn't even notice he had nearly killed me until I blasted him with my horn and then cruised up next to him after the railway tacks about 70m up the road and started yelling abuse at him (which he couldn't hear :( ) and shaking my fist as well.

Usually getting someone pull out in front of me doesn't really effect me that much - be angry for a few minutes, curse them out and move on - I think because this one was so drat close I was livid for a few hours.

I think I would have been doing about 30km/h at the time - had it been any quicker I have no doubts I would have been either under his rear wheels or laying in his tray.

loving old people.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'd swerve for anything rabbit sized and bigger.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

Ugh, I did that a couple times on my first bike. I usually noticed pretty quickly as I heard it scraping through the gas station parking lot, but it's still a scary sound. I'm so happy to have a modern bike that won't let me ride with the stand down.

I have that too - I love it when I forget it's down and sit there looking like a retard when I go to take off and the bike keeps stalling for a while until I realise. Usually takes me about 5 goes. There's always people around for that as well...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Unless it has just changed to yellow and I'm only 20m or so away from it and still at my cruising speed I'll usually stop for a yellow because it's not worth getting cleaned up/the fine (cameras :( ).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Man, that sucks. If it makes you feel better I dropped my bike onto my leg about an hour ago.

Got to my shed and my ramp had slipped down, so I hopped off the bike and reached down the put the ramp back up - so I could get over the concrete and into the shed - and I didn't have the bike completely upright (apparently) so it started to wobble. I quickly fixed the ramp and stood up just in time to have my bike fall right into my thigh and slide the seat from my upper thigh down to my knee before I managed to stop it.

At least it's light and didn't just go smack into me. :/

(I didn't put side stand down because the bike was over soft dirt and I usually just hold it by the centre of the windshield, it was extra flexy today though :( )

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 20, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I started overtaking across dashed lines and didn't quite get back over before the double lines started. I was going maybe 90-100kph during overtaking. The double lines were there because a left turn lane was coming up (they like to start the double lines well in advance here).

I sped up after I got back in my own lane.

As I could see on his video, the police officer actually went the wrong way around a traffic island in his eagerness to catch up to me, since he had been help up by the same traffic I was overtaking. According to his video he sped up to over 150kph in order to catch up because of that. So I think he was actually going faster than I was at any point.

You're Australian aren't you? If that cop shows that video he'll get in poo poo - max speed allowed for chases (and they have to be approved to even start) or anything police related is 140km/h. Jokes on him!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, for some reason I thought you were Australian.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Had a bit of a scare tonight;

Going around a corner (nothing sharp or anything) at around 55km/h (60km/h zone) and hit some oil (it has been raining the last few days although only light, sporadic showers earlier today) and felt the bike start to slide. I was fairly upright so it wasn't a big deal, I just thought to myself "Hmm, that's kind of slippery, ease off the gas, let it do its thing, nearly out of the corner anyway." The oil wasn't the scare, it was the part where my rear tyre regripped and almost high sided me that made me poo poo myself - wasn't too bad, knocked me off balance and had a lot of my upper torso thrown to the right side of the bike, lost my footing on my brake foot a bit before I recovered from it.

Can't think of anything else I could have done - I couldn't see the oil on the road even though I knew there might be some there, the corner can easily be taken at 70km/h in the wet, it's a 90hm/h corner in the dry if you're feeling stupid and that's without much lean. The only thing I wasn't really prepared for was the sudden shock when the tyre regripped. Oh well, didn't come off and learnt my lesson - it's a corner I've gone through a hundred million times but I won't be taking it for granted any more.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, ok, now I know for next time. Thanks! When I say I let off the throttle it was only minutely, I didn't want it to rapidly slow down or anything, I probably only dropped 500 - 1000rpm a most.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So you're saying that you neither held the throttle constant, nor increased it slightly? :P

I just meant to say that while I messed up by not holding it constant, I didn't let off the throttle completely, I just wanted to clear that up - I let it off a little bit, but it wasn't a huge amount - I know letting it off a lot probably would have led me to having a different result when the tyre regripped.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

It would have had the same result. Highsides occur because when the rear regrips it drives the bike forward from the rear tire. If the bike is pointing off at a 30 degree angle from the front wheel, then it attempts to go sideways, and flicks you off as a result. The 2 ways to avoid a highside are either you lock the rear tire and lowside it, or you feed it throttle so that it spins it's way back into line. This is especially true in situations where you've lost traction because of oil or something on the road and the tire started spinning because once you are off that patch of oil or whatever, there is going to be a lot more grip.

However, if you feed it too much throttle, you can spin it out and lowside, so there's a balance there.

Thanks for that info, I have so much to learn :( Hopefully I never have to worry about it again, but I know better than that.

e: Was just thinking about it again and it's amazing how time slows down when you're in a situation like that, I've heard if from people before but never really realised how true it is.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

This illustrates why I was proper f*cked with my recent oil incident. It was a two-lane U with cars to the front, rear, and left, ending in a red light. I've probably gone through it a thousand times. I suppose a high side would have put me in the grass, which might have been a little softer, but I think the damage would have only swapped sides. Powering up was not an option on the table, unfortunately.

I think an equally useful discussion here would be scanning for hazards in the midst of turn when you're supposed to be heads-up and looking through it. That's a delicate art. I saw this stuff when I was right up on it, but that's not where my eyes should/would have been in the event of a green light and continuous 180.

BTW--I've only been here a couple years or so, but does it seem like an above average # of petroleum-related escapades this year on SA? Are we seeing the results of the screw it, just add another quart school of deferred auto maintenance?

Scanning the turn as I go through it is what I usually do (even though I look ahead and scan it before I go through, I just flick my eyes down and double check it)- I don't really think of the turn so much as just .. do it .. unfortunately it was a fairly dark night and I couldn't really see the oil so that wasn't an option, the first I knew of it was when the bike started sliding.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know if 280lbs is a lot or not (upgrade to the metric system already) but you could probably get your suspension adjusted to suit your weight which might help a bit if you plan on riding enthusiastically to the point you're knee dragging. (I have no idea if this will help or not but it's just a thought - Z3n or someone would have a better idea if it will make any difference or not).

e: I have a centre-stand on my ninja and have never had any problems with it during leaning over enough to scrape the footpegs.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think I'd rather have a proper crash than a drop like that :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Holy crap, glad you're ok man, that could have been horrible.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That would be one he'll of an irritating reason to crash.

Aventari - I ride around with low beam on 24/7. It's actually illegal in Australia to have your high beam on within 200m of another car any time of the day. Not to mention how distracting it can be for the other driver.

It's also kind of dangerous - moth to light and all that. If someone oncoming fixates on your light because its too bright they could plow right into you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sounds like a bad luck night twisto, don't let it get to you, bit more attention next time and it'll be back to the usual 1 or 2 people trying to kill you instead of 4-5.

@Z3n - Bay Area is Cali yeah? That's the state in the US where you're allowed to filter? Do you get a lot of people moving over or is it just a good luck thing?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Interesting, I find when I split where I am people are usually fairly nice to me, moving out of my way, etc. but if I'm out somewhere (e.g. in basically any of the cities around me) they're usually cunts. I wonder if that'll change if/when splitting is made legal. Hopefully the trials in Sydney go well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Heh, that's true, it used to really get to me when I started riding how stupid people could be but it's already a "eh, gently caress 'em" and move on sort of thing. You get used to it disturbingly fast :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Well. That sucks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Get any 3M Scotchlite (spelling?) Or 3M SOLAR tape and it'll shine up super bright when light hits it. I'm pretty sure you can get it in Red which should be visible on daylight.

Stuff is easy enough to find on Ebay or ask your local printery if they have any in stock you can have/buy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I've never used it personally but I'm pretty sure 3M SOLAR is the name for marine high vis tape. Oh well, Scotchlite is really bright anyway.

Anyway, have fun with it. I decorated my black helmet with 3M and had a ball, plus I'm safer now! If you do any circles make sure you have something to hold both sides of the tape down as they're a oval office to cut out if you don't.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Christ, what a week.

Yesterday I had 5 people pull out in front of me in about 30 minutes worth of riding, one of which forced me to swerve off the road to avoid going splat.

Today I was sort of on Autopilot going to work because I hadn't had my morning coffee and almost went up the rear end of a 4wd. Car 2 ahead of it was turning right, so they were all stopped and I didn't realize - well, I knew they were stopped, but for some reason it didn't "click". Ended up swerving to the left (curb side) to avoid it and came to a stop about 2 feet past its rear bumper right up next to a ute parked on the side of the road. Actually had to hold the bike up to stop it falling into the ute, I locked the front wheel.

Lesson learned - make sure you're fully awake before you head out to work, even if you do have a family business and were just going to dick around and wake up properly at your parents place. Sprained my wrist from the jolt of stopping the bike falling over.

Another one, not me, but a mate - he's just started riding and went to take his bike out of his shed the other day and a gust of wind blew a heap of clothes on the clothes line into his face, he ended up falling off the bike because he couldn't see poo poo. Broke his clutch and gear levers as well as his footpeg on that side.

<.< I find that one kind of funny actually.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 6, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

The gently caress?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sigh, had a stupid, impatient moment today that almost saw me down.

Going down a road (obviously) and a SUV stopped to turn into their driveway, the blue sedan behind them chose to stop instead of just going around them (oncoming lane was clear). I was about 80m away at this point, as I got closer I saw the blue sedan stopped. The area was a 70km/h zone, but I was probably doing about 50 because I'd slowed down to check out what the drivers were doing. Seeing that the Sedan had stopped completely (wheels not even moving slightly) I decided to just go around them and be on my merry way as I was in a bit of a hurry, as I come up next to them the blue sedan decides to go around the 4wd who was taking forever to pull off the road, forcing me to go off the side of the road into a dirt driveway, I skipped over the hump of the driveway and then into some more dirt and over another driveway the same condition. Felt like I was on a dirtbike going over ruts.

Luckily I let go of the front brake (I had it on a bit to slow down when I was checking things out and then reapplied it when I saw the blue car start to move again) and focused on the road, not the ground in front of me - I have no doubts that if I had fixated on the ground or left the front brake on I would have had a facefull of dirt. Skipped back onto the road (literally, the bike got airborn a little bit a few times because of how rough the dirt was) and continued on my way, shaken up a bit but more pissed at myself for not just stopping behind the sedan.

Lesson learnt: Even if a car is stopped, they will still decide to randomly move if they get sick of sitting there for another second to let the car in front of them pull off the road.

On the flip side, it was kind of fun to go el-dirtbike on my ZZR, even momentarily.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I have to agree, I've had so many close calls (2 of them mine admittedly) since the holidays started it's just getting stupid now. Kind of wishing I had a car for the next month or so to have a bit more peace of mind with the loving stupidity I've seen the last few weeks.

Plus I had a truck with those brushes above the wheels throwing pebbles at me for 2ks because I couldn't get past so I'm a bit jaded at the moment.

My knee hurts :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

I had my first close one in a while today. I was flying up a back road at 110, popping a wheelie and flipping off any cops that happened to be in a southerly direction while N.W.A. blasted in my headphones. Suddenly a left turn came outta fuckin' nowhere! There was no way I was gonna make it but I thought "gently caress that turn, can't tell me what to do" and nailed the front brakes to pull the biggest stoppie known to man. It wasn't gonna be enough so I sat the rear wheel down then locked 'er up as I clutched in and slammed it down three gears. I thought I might have to lay 'er down but I dumped the clutch, spun up the rear at full opposite lock and drifted that poo poo thru the turn. I turned that drift right back into a wheelie and I was outta there. There was a farmer standing there with his jaw dropped but I just brushed that poo poo off and got back up to triple digits directly.

All in all a valuable lesson learned: FTP.

:clint:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Good work on not going down, but as the others have said, you probably head heaps of grip left and would have been better off looking where you wanted to go and pushing the bike into the corner more. Look and commit! Next time you might not get so lucky and there will be a car at the stop sign.

Pretty much unless you're scraping hard parts your bike has more room to lean, keep that in mind.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So, did the wife realize that it was a girlfriend on the back?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I had some idiot kids at the skate park jump out and try to touch me as I went past a while ago, little dumbshits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I was tempted, but the bike is for sale at the moment (but going on Saturday! Woo...ish!).

I've tried skateboarding, I fall off once it starts going faster than about 10km/h and/or isn't on perfectly flat concrete. Turns are a mystery to me.

I tried that jump thing where they flip the board, I just jumped and the board kept going :(

• Locked thread