Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DiscoKid posted:

You're either lying, don't belong on a motorcycle, or both.

I've had it happen...a little gas plus hitting a square edged bump at the wrong angle and the front wheel can bounce up in the air, go to lock and then come back. This is why railroad tracks, trolley tracks, etc. all suck and can go to hell.

As to my near crash..I've had a few of them over the years. The one that springs to mind is at buttonwillow, I was in the B group riding on Dunlop Qualifiers, and had just pulled my fastest lap ever. I look at the timer, see 2:08, and know that I have at least a 2:07 in me. Coming into turn one, I get on the gas, start to roll on out of the corner, and the back end hits a patched section of pavement, goes sideways, and right as I start to think I'm going to lowside, it catches, snaps me up, completely off the bike, luckily I somehow land back on the bike which is the midst of an immense tankslapper. I've got that sick feeling in my stomach as the bike continues to headshake madly as I'm heading towards the edge of the track but magically it slowly comes back, I get my feet on the pegs, and I look up to see the corner worker reaching for his red flag. I wave weakly at him, he gives me the thumbs up, I crawl around the track and pit.

The other time I've almost crashed...it was the last session of my NRS, they had pretty much let me go out on my own because I'd completed the test and the only thing they told me was that if I crashed this session I'd automatically fail the course. I came over the top of turn 9, leaned back to wheelie down the hill, set it down crossed up, and carried the tankslapper almost to the edge of the track before the bike came back.

I figured that that was a good time to end my session for the day :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good thing it's private! :haw:

Edit: That first slide in the video is pretty impressive, paired with almost ending up under a truck as a result. The guy that I bought the ZX6R from did something similar but he didn't save it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 26, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dark Knight posted:

My best almost-crash results from me doing basically nothing wrong except listening to music too loud.

A few events that conspired against me:
1) I was driving merrily along towards a green light.
2) The car 15 feet in front of me drove right on through the light.
3) The left turn lane was full of waiting cars, blocking my view of everything going on to the left of the intersection.
4) As mentioned before, the iPod was cranked up pretty well, and I heard nothing.

Until I saw the ambulance blazing through the intersection from the left. I slammed on the brakes about 2 feet short of T-boning an ambulance. Good thing this was before the days when I sped everywhere :monocle:

This is why I love my Etymotics...they let you keep the volume at a reasonable level but still hear stuff around you.

Another near crash story:

When I first got my ZX6E, I was taken under the wing of a couple of guys who I'd met with Es. One of them was an older guy, who taught me how to wrench and was a supremely fast rider. I'd just outpaced one of my other mentors on the track, and I felt that I should be able to keep up with some old dude who doesn't even hang off the bike. After all, how fast can you go without hanging off? :downs:

I go up to his place for the weekend, he lives near yosemite and there are some amazing roads out there. We head out to his favorite twisties, and I manage to keep up by gassing the hell out of it in the straights and parking in the corners. Little do I know, he uses the first part of this road as a warmup and isn't even going that fast.

We get to this pullout, chat a bit, and then continue on down the road. We approach the first corner, a long sweeping left hander, and I brake, lean the bike in, come out of the corner...and he's gone. I can't believe it, I was keeping up just a few seconds ago! I immediately pin the throttle and go flying through the next couple of corners, and see him down below me on the road just a few turns ahead. He's RIGHT THERE, goddamnit, I can catch him!

I will remember the next corner for the rest of my life. A wide entrance to a blind right hander, marked 25mph. I come hauling into the corner, lean the bike over, knee down, get on the gas, and start looking for the exit. There have been half a dozen blind corners just like this one already, I'm just waiting to see it open up...and all of the sudden my helmet is tapping my right shoulder pad as the road tightens up.

I have a split second moment of clarity. I know there is gravel to the outside of the corner but I can see nothing but blue sky, as the bike is leaned over far enough to block any view of the runoff. I know that I can stand it up and try and brake and probably fall of the edge of the world at the end of the short gravel runoff, or I can grab my balls, keep on the throttle, push the bike in tighter, blow the DY, and if it sticks, I will come out alive.

I push the inside bar. The bike kicks over farther, I drag knee, shin, toe, peg, and feel the road start to nip angrily at the too large leathers hanging out of my boot. I approach the DY. I give a quiet prayer that it's not slick. The bike crosses the DY like it doesn't even exist. I am now truly committed, hanging myself out in the wrong lane, with another prayer for no oncoming traffic. As long as the corner doesn't tighten up any more, I'll make it. I'm approaching the outside edge of the road when the corner finally ends, there are no cars coming down the road, and I stand the bike and up and slowly swerve back into my own lane.

I roll out of the throttle, humbled. I have a momentary flash of what could have happened, and crawl down the rest of the road. My friend is waiting for me at the bottom. He feels horrible about the entire thing, as he has pulled more squids out of that corner than he can count, including a number of them that have dropped off the side of the cliff, and he feels like he should have warned me...but I learned a number of far more valuable lessons that day. Never, ever, ride over your head. Never expect that a blind corner will stay constant radius, and never try and keep up with someone on the street.

I'd like to think that that was the beginning of the end of my squid days. It took me a few more years to really figure things out, but that corner marked the turning point for me. Even having not ridden that road in probably 2 years now, I know when I go back I will instantly recognize it. Some lessons you just have to learn for yourself...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

I think anytime you're passing cars when there's a double yellow, you're not doing it right. That's just asking for it.

Doctor Zero posted:

Strangely enough it's also ... I don't know ... ILLEGAL.

Meh, I disagree. Simply because they've repainted lines on assorted roads in my area, and it seems like any time they repaint lines, dotted lines go to solid. How about instead you let me make the determination about the conditions, the ability of my vehicle to pass, and let me figure out what is safe and what is not safe?

Also, in CA, technically you can pass in the same lane, thanks to lane sharing laws, as long as it's done in a reasonable and prudent fashion. So it's legal for me to pass someone as long as I stay in their lane, but if I move up to straddle the DY as I pass it's illegal. Stupid. The same goes for if someone pulls to the right side of the lane and waves me by. Even if it's completely clear and it'd be much safer for me to just cruise on past in the oncoming lane, it's still illegal.

If I got a ticket for DY passing, I wouldn't complain, after all, I'm breaking the law. But it's a silly law that's designed to replace common sense, and in my mind, looking at the risks and the rewards of it, it's an acceptable risk to take. I'm not going to say that other riders should break the law, but I don't think it's a horrible thing to look at the conditions and the road and make a decision to pass over the DY.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

I see part of your point here because on a straight road with minimal hills, a double yellow is usually uncalled for. However, going around a blind curve that's double yellowed and passing, as was done in the video, you just can't defend that.

As to your point of DYs removing common sense, I'd say that's only partially true. by that logic, we should only have yield signs instead of stop signs and people should be able to make the determination of when to go and stop.

I see both sides of the argument but really how long does it take to wait for a passing zone? Not long here in Iowa...maybe that's why I'm biased.

Generally, passing over the DY in a corner is pretty loving retarded. Of course, common sense would also say it's drat stupid to pass midcorner period, too much going on. That goes double when it's blind. I don't pass midcorner on the street except in very specific situations (usually someone pulling over to wave me by) but even then I prefer to wait until the straight.

I didn't watch the complete video...too hard to see what the gently caress is going on with the tinted screen. I will say that I have shot video in the past where I could clearly see but the camera couldn't.

Our problem is that while we have a lot of turnouts in CA, usually at least one every mile or so, they seem to be going after DY lines like it's their job. Combine that with people that absolutely refuse to use turnouts, and riding up your favorite road can turn into a very frustrating experience as people crawl around, under the speed limit, while driving very slowly past every turnout and gawking at the trees or some other bullshit. I try and be polite, but if people aren't willing to slow down for 5 seconds to let me by, then I don't have a problem passing them in a safe spot on the DY. Courtesy should go both ways, they use the turnout, I don't pass them illegally. Hell, it's illegal to refuse to yield to faster traffic anyways, so turnabout is fair play there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

They're too busy looking around trying to see who else is noticing that they are Captain loving Planet instead of watching the road.

Out here in cali they're playing the "maximize the gas mileage gauge" videogame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shipwrek posted:

I don't preach on just any little event but here I have too, being that this is a pet peeve of mine. I am good seeing people ride day to day in a half decent jacket. I am good seeing people ride day to day in a decent pair of jeans. I am even good seeing people ride day to day wearing somewhat less than a full helmet. There is; INHO, never EVER a good time to ride in shorts and a shirt. This immediately qualifies you as a squid and/or organ donour. This is made worse by the fact that you are within walking distance of your destination. Please make sure that you make a skid mark of yourself somewhere thats not going to create traffic for me.

Eh, relative risk/reward.

And traffic is going to be bad regardless of where someone crashes or what gear they're wearing. I've seen aventari ride, he's a good rider, I'd put him higher in shorts and a tshirt than some 'tard rider in full leathers. The most important thing, bar none, is being a good rider. That's better than all the gear in the world.

I firmly believe that riding skill and judgment is a much better thing than gear. Sure, you can have both, but sometimes you're just not motivated to make the extra step, and...there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you understand the risk.

But seriously, aventari, stop being such a lazy rear end ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shipwrek posted:

There is everything wrong with that ranging from 'having my 6 year old nephew witness your bloody stumps being hauled off the road' to 'having to wait in backed up traffic while the firemen scrape and coca-cola your skid mark off my way to work' I have taken more than one fall in my life and the difference between getting up and shaking your head and watching the firemen coca-cola your legs off the pavement is not large enough for that kind of laziness. While I agree that a reasonable, experienced rider is not the same as some random squid; there is no reason with modern equipment and how cheap, available and simple it is attain, wear and possess that you shouldn't make a habit of it. Hell I live in Vancouver where if you have been watching the Olympics its been so warm we cannot keep snow on the mountains! Been riding to work for two weeks now. I wear shorts every day, and I ride with my Olympia armoured overpants and Jacket every single day. Takes around 3 more minutes to put on.

Aventari; you posted while I was writing this. I had an uncle who was riding an completely empty highway and had a deer come out of a grass filled ditch and completely hosed his life. The right side of his face doesn't work. He walks with a cane. That kind of stuff. Just be careful and remember that you are not the only one on the road who witnesses accidents when they happen.

People die or get injured every day. Your nephew's gonna have to learn that some time. Hell, someone smearing themselves over the pavement could be a good object lesson about why gear is good.

Accidents can take just as long to clear when someone's only moderately injured, in my g/f's accident she could still walk, but because she was capable of talking to the EMTs, it took them longer to decide to take her to the hospital, the cops wanted to talk to her, blah blah blah. It sucks that people crash, sucks that they get seriously injured, but motorcycling is an inherently risky activity. People will choose their level of risk and reward, and that's their choice. To try and restrict that is ultimately futile. You have to trust people to make their own decisions and their own mistakes, getting on a high horse about it doesn't solve any problems. I occasionally go a couple blocks without gear, hell, I pulled stoppies on the DRZ yesterday to bed the brakes. I felt it was an acceptable risk to go out with a helmet and no other gear. That's my right as an adult.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 25, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Make it opt-out rather than opt-in for organ donation and a clause that health insurance doesn't have to cover head injuries if you ride without a lid and I'm sold

I have always found this entire business hilarious because I ride a road bicycle, oftentimes exceeding the average speed of a motorcycle crash, wearing shorts and a tshirt, and no one ever flips out about that. I've hit 45mph going downhill on my road bike. No one ever :qq: about bicyclists not being ATGATT, and my bicycle is inferior in every way to my motorcycle. I'm far more at risk riding my bicycle than I am riding my motorcycle, I'm less visible, I can't stop as fast, I can't accelerate, I can't swerve as fast, etc. And my average speed in a lot of places on the road matches the flow of traffic.

I have more scars from my mountain bikes than I do my motorcycles. I haven't crashed my road bike yet, but I've definitely lost the front over some pretty serious potholes at around 25mph, and it was a hell of an experience.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't tell AI you violated the sacred double yellow, they'll flip their poo poo!

Today I was bicycling home from work and almost bit it when I pulled my hands off the bars to change position...gust of wind showed up and all of the sudden I was leaning the bike about 20 degrees just to keep it going straight, and then I realized that I wasn't going to be able to recover without my hands on the bars. Managed to grab them before I fell over, but still upped my heart rate significantly for a minute.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

schreibs posted:

Video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps&hd=1

That's why you fuel up with the bike upright! :haw:

I almost had a headon with a car today, remember to stay wide on narrow roads with no DY. A quick swerve got me out of their way, but I should have stayed wide all the way through the corner rather than cutting in at the end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Did the biggest stoppie of my life on the CBR this morning in traffic at about 50mph when some old guy cut into my lane 20 feet in front of me going 30 mph slower. Scariest experience I've had on a motorcycle so far. Guess my brakes are ok though.

929s have a beautiful balance for stoppies...they're the first bike that I got comfortable lifting the rear on. Well done on the avoidance too...another thing I use to help me avoid that is sticking as far to the left of the left lane as possible, sometimes you can accelerate past them rather than having to mash on the brakes, which has the advantage of not getting you asspacked by the other moron behind you not paying attention.

Weinertron posted:

I was a dummy today. I dared to touch the rear brake in the middle of a HUGE Texas rainstorm. I proceeded to lock up the rear wheel completely, slide the back side of the bike all over the lane back and forth a few times, stall it somehow :confused: and end up remembering my MSF training to get the bike straight before letting off that rear brake. I kept that fucker upright.

I then took a minute at the side of the road to catch my breath, check bike, and check myself before continuing on my way. I've been riding for 2 months now, and this is the scariest thing I've ever had happen. Next time I think I'll stay in with Hurricane-thrown rainstorms out there. I even dared to get on the freeway a bit, people were doing 20mph through half-inch deep water across the whole thing.

I was glad I was in full gear, but it still would have hurt a hell of a lot if I fell over. I'm proud to have kept it upright.

Traction is really variable on the rain, but I still rely on the rear brake a lot because the consequences of locking it up tend to be much lower than the consequences of locking up the front. However, you do have to balance that with an understanding that it's not able to provide nearly as much stopping power as the front will, especially in the rain.

You stalled the bike because you had the clutch out and the rear wheel was locked up, causing the engine to stop as well. That's something that most people don't get the chance to reflect on, haha.

Glad you made it through safely, and trust me when I say, it'll get better...someday you'll love riding in the rain for the challenge it presents :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Yes, it's an 08 CBR1000. I've heard conflicting reports on the HESD, some of them apparently don't work at all. I haven't had time to go get it looked at yet but I'm guessing something is wrong with it...

However, you can hear some mechanical screeching sound in the video that kinda sounds like it could be the damper working. I don't know. If it *is* working it sure didn't do a very good job.

I don't like the HESD at all. I feel like it's a compromise designed for street use, to prevent people from oversteering themselves at high speed, it seemed like it just straight locked up at 100+mph, and at the same time, it still didn't offer enough damping to prevent proper headshake, it just made it hard to steer. Very frustrating.

Buy a prepped 600 that already has a proper damper installed (scotts or ohlins). ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

It's already in English, which you apparently do not speak. :v:

Here it is in 'Murican.

That's not in 'Murican. This is in 'Murican.

Took a CB1000R out for a test ride yesterday. posted:

Took it down by da dawks, with da old boy leavin' a bit o' a beauty scratch on dat dere pavement, dem pavement scrapers are longer den grammas fingernails, honest injun to gawd. I stroked dat thrattle real nice like you're touchin' a gurl for da first time and I'll be darned if she didn't huck me up in the air while she did a little hoedown.

Dem front brakes are real dangerous, but I got back to the corn shack to see that them tires had no darn stickum left and with dah fhave hunnert hp that dis bad girl likes to get real rowdy. Fackin' jap crap can't even keep dem tires in lines.

:911:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:love:

I wish I could do all of my ride reports in that style.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Violated the throttle rule...adding throttle while not reducing lean angle. I did that a lot on my SV, and it eventually ended up with me crashing twice before I learned my lesson.

Nice save though! rear end out of the seat and everything. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ghostpilots posted:

Took a ride around the city the other day literally 1 week after taking my MSF with very little experience and had one of those retrospectively pants-making GBS threads moments.

Coming down a hill doing around 70 kph, I notice a green light ahead thats just changed to amber. 1st mistake: I could, and should, have run it because I would have easily made the red. Instead, I decided to be a RESPONSABLE AND COURTEOUS SHARER OF THE ROAD and stop. Riding a KLX250SF I have become used to a really good rear brake and with hindsight rely on it far too much; I lock the rear immediately even before I have time to apply front, stop thinking and go into tunnel vision mode. Release rear brake, reapply then grab a handful of front. Now I pull a mean stoppie that prob got me at least 6" of rear elevation before coming to rest 3' into the intersection with a good 15' skid behind me and slightly cocked to the left.

Immediately afterwards I really didn't feel that scared, and it was only when my riding partner came up and scolded me and I was lying in bed later that night that I realised just how bad of a mistake it was. Not shockey, just completely unawares of the gravity of the mistake I had made and just how poorly it could have gone had the intersection not been clear.

I have so much to learn and so many things to remember and I honestly wonder sometimes how I am ever going to remember everything :(

EDIT: I should add, however, that I was not totally hopeless. I did immediately clutch in, throttle off completely and tap down to 1st. So there's some silver lining, I suppose....

Honestly, I'd say that you handled it pretty well. You overbraked, but you immediately corrected with the right actions, and while you ran into the intersection, you didn't blow it off as an "oh whatever" thing. Go practice braking some more so you train yourself to be more reliant on the front brake in a panic situation. All in all, this was a good lesson, IMO. You discovered a problem, analyzed it, and didn't crash in the process.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you do lock the rear, the more out of line it is the more you'll need to steer into the slide and slowly let off the brake to get it back into line smoothly. If you're still pretty close to inline, you can let off it very quickly and not have to worry about highsiding.

MSF teaches to keep it locked because in MSF you're never in a situation where you can't keep it locked until you come to a complete stop. That's not true on the road.

I'd practice locking the rear brake at lowish speeds and working your way up. Or ride some dirt, it's great practice for dealing with the rear brake locking up or getting out of line. Practicing locking and unlocking the rear brake will help ingrain the correct reactions when you end up in a panic situation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is also why it's a good idea to never out ride your sight lines.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I never EVER hang out behind trucks, no matter how well their load is secured, because of stories like this...

Hell, most of riding safe could be summed up in picking up on stuff like that. Sure, it's a one in a million incident, but that doesn't make it any less lovely when you're the one in a million...and if you ride long enough, you're gonna hit some of those oddball ones.

I recently had it mentioned to me to look twice in shaded areas for bicyclists who are resting on hot days. Bicyclists will get dehydrated on a long ride, a little delirious, and you forget to look both ways before entering the roadway, or swerve a bit into your path, and a motorcyclist/bicyclist accident is really nasty for everyone involved.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's probably a good idea to check your helmet for damage...they don't respond well to getting smacked around with you head in them. You can usually contact the maker and they'll xray it for you, or if it's a really cheap one just grab a replacement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rear brake is nice in situations where traction is compromised because it can slow you down while minimizing the consequences of a locked tire. Offroad, in rain, or when you're unsure of traction, the rear brake is your friend.

But with that in mind, in general, with a good rider in good conditions on a supersport, you'll stop fastest on the front brake alone.

If you're on a cruiser or the bike (or rider!) does not comfortably endo on the brakes, you'll need to use both brakes to maximize stopping power.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 30, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rear brake slows you down. The slower you go, the tighter your line through a corner at a given lean angle.

I don't use the rear brake much because I live by slow in, fast out, even on the track. Trying to increase your pace by making up time on the brakes is really only effective in race situations, everywhere else it's a lot of risk for little reward.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

With proper suspension setup, the bike should be neutral on the brakes in a corner. A lot of the time when people talk about the bike standing up on the brakes, it's a mental thing...they start braking and they start looking to the outside and the bike follows what they expect it to do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

The worst death traps we have here are the on/off ramps that are combined so you have a huge cluster gently caress of people trying to speed up to 70 to get onto the interstate and a bunch slowing down from 70 to exit. I think they're called "clovers"

The biggest problem is that it's not a long off ramp and there is an immediate 30 MPH curve so the people exiting are slowing down. You combine the two and it's just craziness.

Here's a picture of the intersection. I-380 and I-80 are the two interstates.

You post that and say it's horrible, but all I see is an endless string of toasted right knee pucks, wheelies, and stoppies. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, let's do some crash analysis:

What options did the rider have here? What behaviors should the rider have used to avoid getting in the situation in the first place?

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/04/dramatic-video-from-dallas-nor.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

For those of you who aren't from the Dallas area, the tollway is insane. It is stressful to drive a car down it. I would never ever attempt to ride through it during rush hour. It is simply impossible to be cognizant enough to avoid every possible wreck.

This shouldn't be a lesson of "lol dumbass not paying attention, i would have used my mirrors, bunny hopped teh median and survived. squid squid". Its a lesson teaching you to know when and where to enjoy your motorcycle. It's a shame that the thought of killing another human being isn't enough to captivate the average driver's attention, but it is what it is. Commuting on roads like that in a city like Dallas is simply pushing one's luck.

This isn't a fault of the tollway. This accident was caused by the person behind him not paying attention, that can happen anywhere. The rider did a LOT wrong in that clip.

Let's start with:
Riding in the center of the lane. Bad idea, not only does fluid and debris collect there, it means you have no out either on to the shoulder or into the split.
Followed too closely, which leads into:
Locked the rear brake. Obviously needs to practice braking. Locking the rear brake leads to:
Failing to maintain situational awareness. If you can't snap your vision down to check your mirrors while you're braking, you need to practice more until you are comfortable with it.
Failed to take into account his observations about the car that he had passed previously, the article says that he noticed they were laughing and dancing around and not paying attention. That means you should be on the extra lookout for that car, because chances are they will do something stupid. You better believe that in a situation like that, priority one is to get the hell away from any car that's not paying attention.

There are half a dozen riding techniques there that could have avoided the situation by either not letting it develop in the first place, or giving the rider time to make an escape. Is anyone perfect? Absolutely not, everyone has a lapse of judgment. But if you make safe riding techniques habitual, your chances of getting blindsided by a situation like that go way down. This is also one of the reasons I'm super thankful I live in CA, where lane sharing is legal, the biggest danger to riders out there is high deltas, and lane sharing can help your minimize your time in crash zones like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ace944 posted:

I was on my way to work yesterday and was going through an intersection that I had the right of way and no stop signs and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxxGIYkavEo driver I guess did not see me but luckily I saw him.

Maybe he just really wanted to tell you to talk to the hand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I rode my SM with the S/E model rotors on it, and yeah, there's no way you're breaking front end traction with those things unless you have the grip of superman and the handspeed of the flash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

himajinga posted:

My commute home across a ~60ft high overpass has barriers like that, they're only really waist height; I could see how someone hitting it could toss them over pretty easily, it's entered my mind more than a few times when I've had sketchy moments merging into traffic on the 5.

I know it probably doesn't seem pertinent to reporters, and a 30 foot fall is a heck of a thing, but I wish they would report how much gear people are wearing when they fatally wreck. My girlfriend's dad was in the ICU and his "roommate" was in because he wrecked in a similar fashion and was beat all to hell. Nobody asked what kind of gear he was wearing (and I maybe unfairly assume since he was an older dude he was on a harley in a t-shirt and skid lid), but I've had to really talk them into not thinking motorcycles are death-machines since I'm ATGATT, took my MSF, and don't ride like a dong.

Not saying this makes me invincible, and poo poo happens, but I always wonder about the gear in accidents since hearing about Z3n's helmet-sliding high-speed off.

If you wanna see someone fall that and survive, check out this link:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327985

He was so amazingly loving lucky that an SUV was illegally parked:

as it saved his life. An estimated 35 foot fall off a freeway overpass, on to the hood of a car, as a result of a car hitting him as he approached the corner.

Here's the fall (he went through the middle gap between the overpasses).

Here's how I look at it:

Modern gear is going to protect you from one thing: Roadrash. Everything else is up to luck and how you fall. Broken bones can be avoided with gear but not entirely prevented, you can basically take things down one level of severity with gear, from broken bones to bad bruising, from shattered bones to broken ones, from road rash to tender skin. That's it. The rest of it is simply a matter of luck and not crashing in the first place.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 29, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I can't think of anything I could have done differently to prevent this. The chain was lubed, the sprocket was in good shape and it was all tensioned correctly. Any thoughts on what I should do in the future when working on chains that might stop this from happening again?

If this happened, your chain wasn't tensioned correctly, wasn't in good shape, or there is some issue with assembly. I've run chains ragged and only had them jump the sprocket once, and that was when it was REALLY bad, like, bad enough to have 6+ inches of play at one rotation, and tight spotted to proper adjustment at the other spot. It's not enough just to check tension in one spot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

You've smoked the crack, welcome to the beginning of hooligan poo poo.

The first hit is free involuntary.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've never seen a tire delaminate like that in person, when are you bringing the bike in? Will I be back in the Bay before you do it or did you already drop it off?

Also, I feel terrible that I didn't think about the potential for delamination when you sent me that first picture. It makes perfect sense now but jesus I'm glad you're ok.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Arcane posted:

The bike is at my parents house for now. I'll remove it this weekend and take it to the place on Monday. The new tire should be in then. They want to keep the tire to inspect it but if you want to inspect it yourself first I'll hold on to it for a day. No worries. I made it out without a scratch. Have fun this weekend!

Cool we'll work it out on Sunday.

AncientTV, no, it was the correct size for the bike, it just failed internally: The tread delaminated from the core of the tire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd punch it and power the front up as much as possible, should be fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The bike basically always has more to give than our brains think is possible. Glad both of you guys made it out ok :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MonkeyHate posted:

Giving the raised stand a little double heel tap is now part of my startup ritual.

Always, always, always. I swing my leg through the place where the kickstand would be every time I take my foot from the ground to the peg. I've only forgotten once in the last 3 years but most of my bikes have the kickstand cutouts disabled for one reason or another and it would have sucked to hit it on the ground.

I also plant my foot behind the kickstand and push forward when I get ready to lean the bike over on to the stand...saves me if the stand has folded up a bit. That happens a lot more often, probably about once a month, usually while moving the bikes around in the garage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Surly posted:

Just curious, why would you disable the cutout? I know it's saved my forgetful rear end a couple of times.

Seems like 50% of the bikes I end up owning either are ex racebikes, so the cutout is gone because they don't run kickstands, or they have been disabled because the switch broke, wiring got worn through, someone reinstalled a cover incorrectly and pinched the wires...

Give the choice, I leave the cutout in place, but if it's already gone I wont fix it, because :effort:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sucks, buddy :(

You and Ola, you flagrant lawbreakers, you.

Of course, here in the US, that'd either be a big ticket that you pay 300 bucks to a traffic lawyer to get dismissed, a warning, or getting tossed in prison, based on the color of your skin and the car you're driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

This is why having someone else ride one of my bikes is my greatest fear (I realize your story was without permission). I won't do it unless I've seen them riding, and trust their skills, and know they can pay to replace the entire bike if they do something idiotic.

Call me heartless, but I only really care about the last. Mikemo, glad your father in law was ok, rampant stupidity aside!

• Locked thread