Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Mootmoot, I feel like backpanther/abunchofnumbers's post history would be good for you to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

This one happened to me a couple of months back when I was ferrying my mate's new-to-him CB400 over to his place (he was not yet licensed for it), I forgot to post the video. Nothing too dramatic, just the usual poo poo, a driver not being aware of a motorcyclist's presence, and not making any special effort to check for one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DdP7SHaWOU&hd=1

In hindsight, that's a popular pie joint coming up on the left, and I should have seen the car ahead stopping and anticipated that the guy behind him may get impatient and try to go around, even though it looked like he was going to stop.

This is a great example of where it's much better to use the brakes then it is to use the throttle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, keeping the throttle constant or even increasing it a bit allow the slide to spin back into line is the best option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

I just meant to say that while I messed up by not holding it constant, I didn't let off the throttle completely, I just wanted to clear that up - I let it off a little bit, but it wasn't a huge amount - I know letting it off a lot probably would have led me to having a different result when the tyre regripped.

It would have had the same result. Highsides occur because when the rear regrips it drives the bike forward from the rear tire. If the bike is pointing off at a 30 degree angle from the front wheel, then it attempts to go sideways, and flicks you off as a result. The 2 ways to avoid a highside are either you lock the rear tire and lowside it, or you feed it throttle so that it spins it's way back into line. This is especially true in situations where you've lost traction because of oil or something on the road and the tire started spinning because once you are off that patch of oil or whatever, there is going to be a lot more grip.

However, if you feed it too much throttle, you can spin it out and lowside, so there's a balance there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Picking up the throttle a bit would have stopped you from dragging hard parts. Removing the centerstand is a bandaid, considering I have friends who track those bikes with the centerstand on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How are your tire pressures?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What bike is this on? If it's running a 160 or narrower tire, it's hard to erase chicken strips on narrow tires for 2 reasons...one is the profile tends to be pretty extreme at the edge, the other is that a lot of erasing chicken strips happens because you deform the rear tire with the throttle.

Also, highly unlikely BP had a drat thing to do with it. Far more likely you either ran over some crap in the road or a tar snake that started it sliding, or you turned in way too early and tried to correct or ended up braking without thinking about it. If you weren't dragging poo poo when it started to slide, you didn't have BP issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wulframn posted:

I have to ride more in the center of the lane than I'd like because people around here think that you can pass a cycle inside their own lane if there's room.

Seriously, every time it happens I just want to chase them down and lecture them all day long.

In California, that's actually legal...lane sharing works both ways.

Grimes posted:

I stopped at a 4-way to turn right. I had my turn-signal on, I was scanning, I knew there was a truck behind me. What I didn't know is that the truck decided it would be good to turn right first by crowding into my lane on the right of me without stopping and go right. If I had not spent like two-seconds scanning I would have been plowed down by that dumb rear end in a top hat. I started speeding after him for a second then calmed down and let it go :unsmith:
Good on you for just letting it go :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wulframn posted:

Really? While both vehicles are in motion? I'm talking about people passing me out on the road and highway while I'm doing 60 mph.

I almost took a spill today. I went around a corner and was turning very tightly. My speed was OK and I had the bike leaned low - actually, it was leaned too low for the speed I was going (not fast enough) - and that's where the problem came into play.

As I came around the corner there was a manhole I didn't know was there smack in the middle of the left tire track I was following. I was already leaned over so far I couldn't go further right and if I went left I was going to go into the lane next to me which was occupied by a van. The manhole cover was recessed deeply enough that when I hit it it really upset the bike and I was sure I was going over. I panicked and put my right foot down - which was loving stupid but, thankfully, didn't make the situation any worse today - while simultaneously rolling on the throttle. The result was that I did not injure my ankle and my loose grip on the handlebars + the sudden burst of speed meant the bike straightened itself out and popped itself straight back up.

I was cursing at myself the whole way down the road for being so loving stupid about panicking and putting my foot down. I could have snapped my ankle doing that.

As long as it's done in a "prudent and safe fashion" you can do it. I wouldn't call it safe and prudent to do it at 60 (generally the rule of thumb is the passing vehicle is doing no more than 45) but that's at the discretion of the officer.

As to your other close call...understanding the vanishing point and not over-riding your sight lines is a good way to avoid having that issue in the future. You handled the situation well (minus the foot down part) but anticipating it and avoiding it through better prep is the best way :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, apply the rear brake and then feed it a little gas and start slipping the clutch until you feel the back end of the bike start to rise and then let off the rear brake and you won't roll back or stall.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Motorcycles can never really own a lane because they always lose in an accident. At best it's posturing, at worst, a death wish. Use lane position to maximize space cushion rather than worrying about "owning" the lane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OT but Wulframn, you still interested in that GSX-R front end? Drop me a line, .

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wulframn posted:

That wasn't me, buddy, that was Invision. Check the "A Goddamn thread about a Goddamn motorcycle" thread.

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking of Xaarman. My bad.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 22, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I had 2 near calls recently after 6 months of smooth sailing here in the Bay Area...I don't know if it was me being off my game and not thinking far enough ahead or what. First one, I was in moderate traffic, and someone merged directly into me. No signal, traffic in my lane wasn't moving any faster, but she was chatting away on her cell and totally missed me, my loud rear end exhaust that's currently on my E, and the horn. Braked enough to get behind her, split past her, and tapped on her driver's side mirror as I went by followed by the palm up shrug motion.

Then .5 miles later, same thing except someone squeezes me while splitting, not paying attention. Another mirror tap and shrug.

Of course, the end of the ride was like 2 miles of people moving over so much I only had my left hand on the bar for half the time because I was waving little thank yous to each person. :iiam:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, I always give a thankful wave when people move over for me. It's attentive and shows they're courteous and polite people. If they don't move over I redline by their window with my clutch in. Thinking of getting a sticker for my helmet that says "thank you for sharing your lane" to increase efficiency.

Don't die in San Fran, Z3n. The last thing you need is to skid across a street covered in urine and weed. That smell don't come out of any fabric.

If I'm dead, it wouldn't be my problem. You'd just have to deal with it before I get incinerated. ;)

Shimrod posted:

@Z3n - Bay Area is Cali yeah? That's the state in the US where you're allowed to filter? Do you get a lot of people moving over or is it just a good luck thing?

Yeah, CA it's both legal and very lane split friendly. Santa Barbara and the Bay Area (greater San Francisco area) are both great for splitting, lots of drivers get out of your way, but obviously there are a lot of terrible drivers too, as with anywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ride a small dirtbike around for a bit on gravel, practicing letting the rear drift out, and you'll retrain that instinct.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

A mere stone's throw from my ancestral lands! Post pictures please.

To me, the basic lesson is to slow down on B roads where you can't see through the corner so that you will be able to stop or slow adequately when someone is doing something stupid.

That isn't "slow down you mad fool, you will kill us all doing 40mph on a national speed limit road" (said the Daily Mail reading Micra driver). It's simply that where you can't see through to the exit of the corner, B roads have a habit of featuring things like unexpected surface contamination, pedestrians and ramblists, ponies out for a hack, cyclists, the back of New Holland's finest ... or some dumb gently caress in a car or van who decides to overtake on a blind corner because he or she simply couldn't possibly wait behind a cyclist for 10 seconds.

If you can see the exit, by all means go as mad as you want - but if you can't, it's best to back right off. There are no prizes for impaling yourself on a yummy mummy Mercedes.

All of this. You'll eventually get yourself killed overriding your sight lines, regardless of how good of a rider you are. Riding skill and luck can only compensate for poor judgement for a limited amount of time.

Beyond that, slow in, fast out is the rule to live by on the street. Once you've confirmed the road is clean and clear, throttle out to your heart's content.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

I know that the reason that texting is not explicitly mentioned in Dutch law is because it is impossible to uphold it. Are you just holding the phone in your hand or are you texting your way into oncoming traffic? At least with talking on the phone the law states that holding up a phone to your ear == talking on phone.

If your driving's erratic the cops always have the option of slapping an article 5 on you, which is a catch-all "where the gently caress did you get your license" law.

Just attach it to crimes based on timestamps. Or texts that say "Oh poo poo I just got in an accident while texting you!". :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phone posted:

It's not that hard to subpenoa the cell service provider and confiscate the cellphone as evidence. 1984 and whatnot, though.

Phone of truth.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Your choke should have a half cocked setting that will allow you to ride on it while it's cold.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS. My KTM can and has out-braked cars with ABS in emergency braking - thanks, van guy who stopped on the exit of a blind corner in the rain.

In "You didn't crash but it probably looked loving awesome" news, I got a bit overzealous with the new tyres and warm weather, turned the KTM hard on the throttle at an intersection which it turned out had freshly painted markings. Turned out they weren't *all* the way cured and I left a nice smudge as the rear spun up and I rounded the corner like I was racing speedway.

It's completely true. At best it's a break even proposition, in lovely conditions, you're rolling the dice that you don't wash the front out. Also, there's no way of knowing what the gently caress the driver is doing, they might trigger ABS, freak out, and let off the brake. Or their ABS might be hosed. In a side by side, you're going to lose to the car every time, they've got probably 10x the traction patch of you, they don't have to modulate or deal with stoppies or locking the front and crashing, just mash the pedal to the floor and forget about it.

Watch a demo on good pavement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKRphfVHqI
5 minutes. Lambo outbrakes an international level rider by a solid 30 feet from 100mph and you can see that from the incar view from the very beginning.

The only reason bikers think that they can outbrake cars is because most car drivers are idiots. If the duc had been behind the lambo he would have been through the rear window of the car. Gallardo stops in 108 feet. Your typical econobox stops in around 125 feet.

Here you can find stopping distances of police bikes, so good riders:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Motorcycles-MSP_VehicleEval08_Web_221477_7.pdf

The RT1200P does 145 feet. Judging by the difference between the Lambo and 1098, the 1098 doesn't cut it in under 125 feet, probably closer to the same as the RT1200P.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

American driver training is less intense then qualifying to stock shelves at Walmart.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It happened a few days ago, but nearly dropped the Daytona 675...was dropping by the dealership to pick up some stuff and I had to make a left across traffic and then somehow back the bike into the row of MC parking spots, so of course I decided it made a lot more sense to just make a left into a nearby driveway, ride up the sidewalk, and then ride off the curb. Unfortunately for me, the Daytona doesn't have nearly as much cornering clearance as most of my bikes, and the curb is particularly tall there. I didn't give it that much throttle as I rolled off the curb, the header bottomed out, the bike tipped suddenly to the right, and I very nearly dumped the bike straight into the row of bikes next to me.
As I struggled there with the bike just on the edge of the point of no return, desperately trying to get my stance wide enough to have enough leverage to stand the bike back up, thankfully there was another kid getting ready to leave, and he gave me a little push on the shoulder that took me just past the edge of no return. After a couple of little hops to get my right foot out far enough to use my legs to help lift the bike up, I managed to get it back from the brink and put it on the sidestand.

Then I looked down the row at the assorted KTMs, Ducatis, and other expensive bikes in a row and quietly thanked the lord that I didn't have to make an insurance claim on those...Header has a little dent/scrape in it now too. :shobon:

And then of course this morning as I did my usual rear wheel skid to get the bike into the parking spot, my foot slipped off the rear brake and I was suddenly riding straight towards a parked car. I was only doing about 3mph at that point so just used the front brake to come to a stop, but still felt like an idiot. :downs:

Maybe it's time to slow down a bit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

He had one, and because he finds pleasure selling the best motorcycles on the planet he got rid of it for a bunch of ZX6e's. And shame. Don't forget the shame.

I am why I can't have nice things.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Your family sucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I do stop my bycicle like that, not the motorcycle that would be dumb as gently caress. sweet and loving awesome and how you park erryday.

Supermoto lyfe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If your suspension is set right, the bike shouldn't stand up on the brakes at all. Most people unconsciously bring the bike upright as they brake through countersteering.

Shelvocke posted:

if you lock up the front you're toast.

This isn't true at all. A good place to practice is either off road on a dirt bike or during emergency braking practice, but it's definitely possible (and likely if you release immediately) to recover a locked or sliding front wheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Go on.

Eh, just go out to a giant parking lot or something and try it. Get the bike to maintain a lean angle at around 30-40mph, drag a little brake, and see what happens. Try it while hanging off, while sitting on the bike, while looking through the corner, not looking through the corner, etc. Changes in bike geometry, suspension setup, rake, trail, tire profile and pressure, etc, all have different contributing factors to this, and for me, the goal is always to have a bike that handles very neutrally. There's no substitute for going out there and figuring out how you react on your bike though. Most of the time, I want my bikes, track and street, to be neutral enough to set a given lean angle and hold it naturally. Adding throttle should increase the arc of my turn due to higher speed, and adding brake should decrease it due to scrubbing speed, but I try and get my bikes to the point where each input has no affect on the other inputs I could give, so I can combine inputs like trail braking and adding lean angle, and have a consistent set of results.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Really? No wall of text going into the physics of it? I was just curious because you're the first person I've heard say that using the front when leaned over doesn't stand the bike up.

Do enough research and you discover that motorcycles are still pretty much black magic as far as the significant forces of physics that go into play. We still don't really understand how bicycles work, let alone motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EightBit posted:

We can accurately place car-sized rovers on Mars and you think we can't understand bike physics? That's a bit hard to swallow.

We've got computer simulations devoted to understanding the smallest effects revolving around aerospace travel, things as detailed as modeling the air off the lip of a plane's wing at supersonic speeds and how that causes a bunch of micro turbulence and sonic booms. There are decades of work around spaceflight by many, many brilliant minds with incredible amounts of funding with a single, repeatable, consistent goal that is unchanging - get spaceship from point a to point b.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, as a constant moving target. Not only do advances in tires, engines, frame design, suspension, etc, allow for a faster bike to be made, everything is also particular to the rider. You can make the "right bike" for one rider, and it can be completely wrong for another. For an extreme example of that, see Casey Stoner's success on the Ducati. As every motorcycle is interpreted by a rider, rather than having a clearly defined, singular goal like getting from A to B, the value of understanding the system from a purely physical standpoint is far less valuable than getting the rider around the track as quickly as possible.

Motorcycles are as much more about the human / machine interface, and primary development is easier to simply test in real life then devote a bunch of resources to modeling something. You only get one shot at sending a rover to mars, so it's better to model obsessively, get there slower, and get there right. Motorcycles, it's better to just throw a bunch of riders at a bike and sort out the preferences of each one, as "right" is not clearly definable.

As a result of this, no, we don't model motorcycle physics. We don't really understand how they work because it's mostly irrelevant. A technician can set up the bike technically correct, but the rider can hate everything about it, and it is wrong as a result. We've got some general guidelines...most people like geometry values in these lines, most geometry works like this, but if you read books on experimental frame and suspension design, you discover that no one really knows why it works. Most motorcycle design is cargo cult by nature as sport bikes are specified to perform under riders who ride them in a way that no one else in the world is capable of. And on top of that, there will be significant disagreement between those riders on the right way to set all of the suspension, tuning, etc.

And that's why we can put a rover on mars but we don't bother to model motorcycle design, performance, and handling.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 22, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Look guys I think the point is that z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. This isn't for some sissy boys in lab coats, you gotta live this to learn it bro. Unless you're a rider you can't comprehend what it means.

It's like you've seen the innermost me.

Come ride with me, space cowboy.

xaarman posted:

Me thinks you may be suffering from a case of logical fallacy. Human Factors in aviation (and Aerospace Engineering) is a multi billion dollar investment by hundreds of aircraft manufactures and governments to progress human space earth/space travel and safety. There are government agencies investing more money then you can comprehend to sort this stuff out.

quote:

There are decades of work around spaceflight by many, many brilliant minds with incredible amounts of funding with a single, repeatable, consistent goal that is unchanging

:iiam:

I guess I should have explicitly spelled out that obviously governments aren't investing in motorcycles like they do in spaceflight but I sort of figured that'd be obvious.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

OK I'll bite. "Cargo cult"?

Basically because all bikes are at the point where development takes place in a very limited window - we have pretty established ranges of values for steering geometry what will make motorcycle "handle" according to most riders. The notable exception being the BMW stuff, but even they went with standard forks for the S1000RR.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 22, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did that iteratively evolved FPGA thing turn out to be legit?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No, what the hell is a "cargo cult"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult#Metaphorical_uses_of_the_term

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Klr - marginally less effective than a streetbike at getting up hills.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tbb9 posted:

So is lift oversteer still something on a bike or did something else happen to me today?

Shut off the throttle, engine braking transfers the weight forward, loads up the front, if the front end doesn't slide, oftentimes the back end will unload enough to lose traction and start to come around.

So yeah, it's a thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't think I've ever had my hand on the brake doing a u-turn. How does that work? It's not like you'd be able to stop without falling over in horrible ways or anything. Is it a weird comfort/safety blanket thing?

DId you just not look into the turn or something and get surprised by a cat pooping out?

It's easy enough to stop with the front brake while doing a turn, you just have to remember to stand the bike up as you do it. Worth practicing, because you do stop a lot faster using the front than you do the rear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Drifter posted:

Sure, maybe for wide U-turns, but I've never taken a wide u-turn in my life unless I was essentially walking my bike to begin with.

And I should perhaps clarify that when I said 'hand on my brake' I meant brake pressure - I always keep my first two fingers laying over the lever.

I just can't think of time when you'd want to hit the brakes during a committed u-turn, unless you knew before hand and accounted for it, but then you wouldn't have committed in the first place.

I've had people move into my lane mid u-turn, or pull out in front of me while I'm doing it, or a variety of other situations...

It's good to be comfortable with what's going to happen should you need to use the brakes in that sort of situation, better to figure it out in a parking lot then in an emergency situation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Today's close call:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67tKHZvL6w

Really wishing I had ABS there, as it would have given me another option.

Thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Pretty sure ABS would have hosed you there, you did the right thing getting out, he wasn't going directly into your path, but after you had already passed him. Gassing it away is the best option especially with the car to your left that he is staring at.

Day Man posted:

I thought you handled it pretty well. Might have been filtering a tda too quickly, as the driver wasn't visible until the last moment. I've had a couple misses like that. I slowed down my filtering a little.

Bugdrvr posted:

That kind of thing seems to happen a lot in interchanges so I usually try to keep to a lane. I usually go into super caution mode when I see people wheels turned like that and think I would have stopped rather than try to skin by but either way, you didn't get bumped or take a mirror off so it's all good.

I also get super wary when I see one or two people changing lanes up ahead. They seem to give people ideas and you'll have a few more that follow pretty close after.

My motorcycle related almost dying incident today was due to my work being surrounded by wildfires (Carlsbad, CA). Riding to work saved me having to sit in traffic and breath smoke for however long it would have taken to get out of that poo poo. My bike is totally covered in ashes and my helmet smells like smoke which kind of sucks.

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear this - a buddy of mine was involved in an accident recently (video/etc will come), and I'm extra paranoid lately.

BlackMK4 posted:

So... where are the pics of the fightered RC51?

Been busy, leaving town on work tomorrow. It's my wife's new bike :) I'm probably going to the dark side and getting a 1290.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can brake in a corner, but for a new rider I'd recommend just leaning the poo poo out of the bike. Too easy for a new rider to accidentally grab way too much brake and crash, where if they just leaned the bike over theyd be fine.

• Locked thread