Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Apple2o posted:

New rider here, had my first really close call at around 450 miles clocked.

Had some guy pull out of the left turn lane suddenly, straight into my lane when I was probably going 45-50 into a green light. There was enough time to react because I was cautious when his car was angled for it; but I didn't expect him to gun it like that.

I started to go for the horn but realized it was too late anyways and used the hand fully for the maneuver instead. Swerved into the lane next to me and back in a pretty smooth motion, probably could have reached out and touched his car. It was also probably the furthest I have ever leaned on my bike. The "holy poo poo" feeling hit me after the fact but during the almost-crash it was pure focus. Forgot to flip him off though.

Engrain those reflexes and practice emergency braking. You did good with the anticipation, preping for the bad move. Next question is could you have pre-emptively moved to avoid that situation so you wouldn't have had to swerve as aggressively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good way to realize that tar snakes aren't that big a deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Next time try and float the front wheel over it with a baby wheelie and hammer the gas as the rear wheel hits it, and it'll be a non-issue.

Practice it a bit on straight roads you're comfortable with, that's a pretty critical offroad skill.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

I completely agree that's an important skill, but I think my mistake was more like 1. going fast enough that I didn't have any brain function left, 2. target fixation as a result and 3. doing 1 when I hadn't ridden the area before which is really just dumb. When it came to the actual getting over the logs I did give it a little extra gas and while more would certainly have been better, I think the real problem was 1,2,3 above. It was certainly a learning experience either way!

Well, one of the reasons we recommend practice is to ingrain the right reaction no matter - all of those things are probably gonna be factors anytime you're in a panic situation, and if you need to brake or swerve or anything else you're going to need to make sure that muscle memory is set. I've had similar experiences riding off-road and thanks to a bunch of practice, even when I'm tired and out of it, my reactions are still generally right.

Good job handling it without crashing, though :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Race condition exists between preservation and replication circuits. Alert the design team.

*throws design flaw documentation into an unfeeling world, cries*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Posting for the fucktard idiot driver of this SUV https://streamable.com/jggm at least it was a good reminder I need to look at my front brakes.

What the gently caress? How did they even get there to do that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you run HH sintered pads rain performance is totally marginal until they scrub the water off and start to get some heat in them.

This is one of the reasons I run the really expensive brembo pads on the 1290 - true all around performance. It's easy to find a modern pad that performs well in one area, it's really hard to find one that performs well in all areas.

You don't need to pulse the brakes though, you just apply a handful and then it ramps up braking power as they heat/friction coefficient rises. Can be a bit disconcerting when you're letting off the brake but it's still braking harder as the pad braking performance improves.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What the gently caress indeed. Took a minute to reprogram that that's not the us and cars shouldn't be coming from that direction.

Also man I miss Europe :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Verge posted:

Target fixation (and poo poo judgement) is my absolute weakness. I get the inner voice telling me sixth sense poo poo (that cage gonna blindly switch lanes, etc.) as well as instructor poo poo but it doesn't stop me from target fixation. Target fixation, combined with poo poo judgement will probably kill me. Anyone got tips for how to resolve this? I've been commuting for 2 years and I'm gonna take the RSP this summer. Already did the BRT and IRT so 'take a class' was covered 2 years ago.

Learn to ride a bike faster in a safe, closed course environment. Target fixation occurs because you're out riding your mental limits at that speed, and your brain locks up and goes back into lizard mode, which says you keep your eyes on the bad thing. Unfortunately for a motorcycle rider, that means you ride into that thing.

The way you fix it is improve your mental limits, and the easiest way to do that is to get yourself to an environment where you can expose yourself to more speed, more lean angle, etc, in an easy, predictable place. Once your comfort with the bike leaning goes up, your mental lockup and target fixation goes away, because you're not approaching your personal limit for speed anymore.

Another thing that's interesting about target fixation is the bike only goes where you're looking if you're not actually controlling it. I once had an incident when I was a new-ish rider (maybe a year or so in?) where I target fixated on a guardrail in a decreasing radius corner, but the conscious part of my brain jammed on the inside bar, and I went around the corner like Rossi pushing Marquez wide. Felt like I was looking over my shoulder by the end of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

So basically bikes are mechanical horses and you're only supposed to make polite requests regarding velocity? :v:

Yup. I do basically nothing on the motorcycle when I ride it. Your inputs should be to lock your sad, lovely meatbag body to the bike, and only ask for changes to speed or direction when the traction circle allows. Most of the time riders are working really hard to ride slower.

Keket posted:

Oh hey thanks black minivan for checking its clear before pulling out, don't mind me, I'll just scream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2AvpAeV-44

If you're going fast enough that glancing down at your GPS is a problem, you should slow down. I don't know if your bike has ABS or not, but a situation like that is where safe and prudent speed is probably below the speed limit.

(Yes, there are times where going below the speed limit is a good idea. In the rain, dark, bad traffic, impaired visibility, or with a bike that's not 100%/you're not confident on are some reasons to do that)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Americans have no idea what the gently caress to do when they're driving normally, let alone when you throw in something like a roundabout.

My favorite is when they replace intersections with them to "improve traffic flow", decide the giant loop of concrete is ugly, and then plant 6 foot shrubs around it so no one can see into it.

There's a roundabout near some friends of my family and my favorite thing is looking for fresh signs of hosed oil pans because they fail to notice the 4 inch curb that's a slightly different shade of cement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

I've killed like three birds alone with my shoulder :(

Swan dive into the chick pen isn't how you're supposed to do the petting zoo, buddy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hard on throttle, too much weight on the bars or over gripping them, front end goes light, hits a bump, and goes into head shake mode rather than just snapping back straight because holding the bars tightly means the rider prevents the bike from self correcting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I still find myself having to make a conscious effort to do the same - especially when riding quickly. The 1290 will wobble the bars all the way down the front straight if I put even slightly too much input into them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gotta learn to use your legs to lock into the bike and your core to keep your weight off the bars. It's not a muscle set used much of anywhere else so it's gonna hurt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sounds like you handled it about as well as you could with zero experience and thought applied to it in advance. I generally just pre-emptively yield to any traffic that catches me and stays with me for a bit as if they caught me and stay with me they're going faster than me and I should let them by.

This is why intercoms are essential for new riders, IMO - not only can do it give them immediate feedback when they do something unsafe, it also allows easy coordination for asshat avoidance. At this point, if I ride with you, intercoms are pretty much a requirement and we have spares for friends who come to visit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Basically exactly what you did - the handlebars were flopping about as the front wheel looked for traction and if you had been stiff on the bars or let off the throttle you would have stopped it from finding that traction or transferred weight to the front and probably caused the bike to crash. When it starts sliding like that, you have to hold everything steady for a moment to let it sort itself out.

If you want to get more experience with these things, take a class where you ride small dirt bikes, flat track, or supermoto to get accustomed to sliding a bike around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yup, sounds like you need to start in on dirt biking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Yeah definitely. I locked up the rear on accident cause I panicked. I'm still unsure if I would've had enough time for a full stop assuming maximum braking potential. I need to go find a parking lot to do drills to find how quickly I can stop and also to get acquainted with how much braking it takes to lock up my wheels since the rear took a lot less force than I expected to lock.

Suzuki DL650

Yeah it's been a long time since something stupid happened. I got complacent and was due for a reminder of my mortality.

I think there's pros and cons for each lane position. I choose middle because it gives me more ownership of the lane while still providing a timing buffer for if people merge in from the right. The tradeoff is that I lose visibility of the cars in front of me, which is then offset by the fact that my bike's seat height is tall and I can usually see over most people. Regardless though, I think I'll be trying a new position that's more offset.

I'll also be increasing my following distance from now on. Taking a full second to react at 60mph means you'll travel 88ft in that one second before you act. That's about 4-5 car lengths already, which I thought was a decent buffer but apparently isn't enough for my old man reflexes.

Bay Area goons, never go on the 101. Here's a bonus picture from that same day not ten minutes later on that highway:

On a side note, was it SoCal Supermoto that goons recommended going to? I was planning on taking these classes sometime, but maybe I should consider pushing that date earlier :v:

I run that same chunk freeway every day.

A: You're following way too closely to not be on your poo poo there. If you're alert, awake, and ready for whatever, fine, but that's way too close for comfort. I've had situations where a car has straddled a loving ladder and it's popped out from under the car at 70mph, and that's too close to effectively react to that except to maybe reflexively slam the throttle open and hope you go over it.

B: You shouldn't really ever be in the middle of the lane. It's a compromise position that puts where all the dirt/dropped oil/crap accumulates on the road. The idea that you're "owning your lane position" is some bullshit justification that popped up somewhere awhile ago, hooks nicely into "I deserve this space on the road cause I pay my goddamn taxes" attitude, and is a great way to get yourself pasted by a car. The only thing that owns a lane position is a loving tank or a semi, everything else is just waiting to be bounced off into space by aforementioned tank or semi. If you've got cars on your right, maybe temporarily scoot to the left side of the lane, but in general, hang out on the right side of the lane and keep an eye on your mirrors to watch for cars behaving erratically, other motorcyclists, etc. 1 quick check of the 2 lanes behind you with properly adjusted mirrors should take maybe a half second, and you can do it about once every 10-15 seconds and it's very unlikely you'll be caught off guard if something weird is going on behind you.

C: Always aim for the split. This is California, cars expect you to be there, when people do that swerve braking thing, they almost always go shoulder rather than to the right lane. You could have just as easily pointed the bike towards the split, gently applied the brakes, and passed the first couple of cars at a rather large delta, but while still slowing, and it would have been a non-issue. Bias towards movement as opposed to stopping, because you also don't have any guarantee that the car behind you saw any of this going down, or they might have gotten distracted by you going slideways on entrance to the split, and asspacked you, or worse, had you not saved it, hit you as you're tumbling to a stop (human bodies tumbling on the ground stop very quickly, and will outbrake most cars).

D: Practice your braking. On a bike like a DL650, you've got enough braking force in the front to stop much quicker than you did and avoid locking up the rear. Get comfortable with that balance. The rear took a lot less than you expected because you transferred a lot of weight to the front, so the rear locked very easily.

Besides that, well, good job handling the situation despite setting yourself up for a bit of failure there. Long term commuting on freeways like 101/880/etc is about setting the habits so you can have the lowest risk outs at all times - in this case, that means shooting for the thing that asks the least of the bike, your skills, and maneuverability - carrying your speed into the split and using that additional time/distance to scrub off speed in a more controlled fashion is a much better call than rapidly and aggressively braking, even on the relatively consistent conditions of a well traveled freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Let me elaborate a bit more on "ownership". I know it's not aimed at me specifically, but I have no preconceived notion that I own the road because I pay taxes or whatever. You're absolutely right in that, ultimately in a car vs bike situation, car is always going to win. I didn't like the idea of riding closer to a blocking position on the edge because what I'm worried most about are the crazies that aren't going to see me regardless and will merge into me. Riding in the middle gives me more of a timing window to see that and react. However, you could argue that timing window is a false sense of security. I'd estimate it'd give me an extra second at most, and well we see how fast things can happen in an oh poo poo moment. I already do a quick scan every now and then to check all directions for funny business, so I think I'll be moving closer to the side and consider that scan as my timing window instead. You guys also bring up a good point I hadn't considered and that's the fact that gross road goop gets piled up in the center. I'm paranoid of losing traction randomly because my tires picked up something so that's another good reason for me to stay out of the middle.

My breakdown on commuting is divided into prevention and oh poo poo:
Prevention - Emphasis should be put here. Be situationally aware of what's going with other drivers and tune your sixth sense to predict their behaviors. Adjust following speed accordingly to road conditions (I hosed up here). Consider what escape routes you have in your current situation and assess if that's within your limits of comfort/safety/skill because that'll lead us to--
oh poo poo - This is where preparations in prevention transform into mitigation. When poo poo goes down very quick, I think for most people your brain will take over to autopilot and quickly execute what you've rehearsed mentally during prevention. My first reaction was to brake (which I think is a natural decision, but wasn't correct given my following distance and my riding skill). This transitioned to going for the split (one of my escape routes if I'm riding in the left lane, and a better decision to prevent getting rear ended in a hard braking situation)

But yeah I agree all points you guys brought up. I don't think there was anything egregiously wrong other than following distance in my situation. I've outlined my mindset and I think my autopilot did okay, but I still can't shake the feeling that I got very lucky. My takeaway will be to practice braking, adjust following distance, and combine brake+aiming for split as my emergency maneuver instead.

Got slightly ranty there, sorry. Perils of the gig. :v:

Sounds like you've taken away a good set of lessons here. I'd encourage you to sorta mentally calculate following distance by thinking "if a chunk of metal shows up directly in front of me after a car straddles it, could i handle it in enough time at my following distance?". This is also why I try and ride in the tire tracks in general, less likelyhood of debris floating along. I once got tagged by a 5 gallon home depot bucket kicked up by the car in front of me on the way to a job interview, right in the coolant pipe. Limped it there leaking coolant. :shobon:

• Locked thread